Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 4

Old 09-05-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Well, folks, got stuff to do (since I didn't do no stuff yesterday). But I'll be back, hope to see you then.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

The stuff I look up most likely would make you guys as bored as me . Low carb diets & the health benefits .
Besides that thinking of burning some CD's music sense I've starting to enjoy it again .
Naaa I wouldn't want to be royal , under watch all the time !
Old 09-05-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Ok Frank catch you later
How was your day Shabby ?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi Nesty!

Just starting really. 11 am and it's father's day, so Mr TS and I are going out for brunch and will buy him something nice. He's into clothes - BIG TIME. I get all mine from second-hand shops, pretty much. He's got about 80 ties...dunno, lost count. It's pretty cute. Very unusual for a kiwi 'bloke'.

Will see you soon. Hey, here's a great clip. This is right after Kate and William have left Westminster Abbey after the wedding. The guy doing the cartwheel is a New Zealander....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir7GuJQ_IFA
Old 09-05-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Shabby show's that anyone can enjoy doing Silly things in public LOL
I'm always learning - Your holidays are even at different times then the US . I was no good in history
You will have to tell us what you ended up getting him - maybe a shirt this time ?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thanks for the fun clip, Shabby!

Have a peaceful, sober evening everyone.

V.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hi again, all.

There's been several movie recommendations on this thread, so I thought I'd add mine. "The Gambler". It's a movie about addiction starring Mark Wahlberg as a weary and possibly self destructively suicidal ("all or nothing")("victory or death") college professor. Interesting role for Wahlberg as I think most of his stuff that I've seen are shoot 'em ups; Jessica Lange, who can still bring it; John Goodman, always great; and Michael Kenneth Williams, excellent (I had to look his name up on imbd since I'd never seen him before).

I almost didn't watch it as I recalled it received terrible reviews. I love reading movies reviews even though I'll never watch most of them. I'm a bit of a movie snob, I guess. (I went back after watching it and read the reviews - they were pretty brutal).

Anyoo, "The Gambler" gets 5 stars in Lapidasland. Well acted, well directed, with a literate script. And I'll even give you the spoiler, which isn't really a spoiler since we all know movies have to have happy endings: Wahlberg's character uses his addiction to beat his addiction. That would be like us drinking more alcohol to beat alcoholism. But hey, it's only a movie.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Frank, you and I are probably old enough to remember "Spot the Wonder Dog" on "Siskel and Ebert." Honestly? I'd pretty much nominate Wahlberg for Spot's ol' "dog of the week" for anything he's in. He's among a handful of actors who make me shake my head and wonder why they get parts. I just don't see it with him.

On the other hand, I wish there would be a *lot* more roles for John Goodman. I remember brief spots with him in the commercials for "The Gambler" and it struck me that he probably steals the movie. BTW, sometime back, I recommended the HBO series "Treme" to you. Goodman is in the first season and part of the second. (There were three full seasons and a fourth abbreviated one.) I still think the program was sheer genius.

I'm glad to know you're feeling better today. I've gotten a few tasks accomplished before leaving on vacation on Monday.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
He's among a handful of actors who make me shake my head and wonder why they get parts. I just don't see it with him.
Hah! I wonder the same thing about Tom Cruise. And yes, Goodman does steal every scene he's in.

I watched Season 1 of Treme then somehow got distracted. Just checked and they have it through Season 4 now, so I shall continue. Thanks for the recommendation!

Good for you, a vacation. Gonna send postcards?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Agree re: Cruise. I cannot remember who said it (Dorothy Parker?) but he reminds me of the observation about an actress who displays range from A to B.

Vacation begins Monday. Venecia and her mom. I'll try to share a pic or two.

I had a momentary pity party for myself earlier this week. It's been a couple years since I've been on a vacation that was of my choosing. But I got over myself. It will be good for Mom. Me, too.

Upon edit: Correction ... I actually had a nice trip to the Black Hills with my niece last summer. So my rationale for a pity party is even more pathetic.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Dear friends, I'm going to settle in front of the teevee and begin Season 2 of Treme. (Amazon Firestick is great)

Sweet and peaceful dreams for all, I hope.

Catch ya on the flip side.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hey Frank, I will take a look at that. Love John Goodman and am especially fond of the underrated Jessica Lange. Did you see her 'Blanch DuBois' in Streetcar? Best ever in my opinion. I waited with baited breath for Gillian Anderson's in the recent National Theatre Live performance and was bitterly disappointed. Overwrought. I love her usually, but she over did it terribly. If you haven't seen it, get the Lange movie. It's heartbreaking. We've downloaded 'Incendies' from itunes for tonight.

Hope you have a great holiday, Venecia . Hope you can stop in while you are away.

Nesty, Mr TS got a navy jumper. He's happy :-)
Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Old 09-06-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I will have to watch The Gambler, if only to see a decent Marky Mark film. Funnily enough I had a narrow escape last night as I nearly watched "I still know what you did last summer" then I noticed those four words of warning "with Freddy Prinze Jr" and swerved it

Working on the Lancia today
Old 09-06-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
saoutchik

By the way Her Majesty has asked me to remind the Americans on the thread that you owe her 239 years of back taxes. Tee Hee
Old 09-06-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

How's things in Lapidasland on this Sunday ?
Frank hope you got caught up on a few things , & hoping things are looking better I too will check out that Gambler movie .
Shabby that sounds Nice - Navy jumper ! Enjoyed your little saying you posted .
Lots of ideas on movie watching . Lately I'm more into short serial type show's . Waiting on Dancing with the Star's to air another season . Paula Deen , Gary Busey , Bini Twin & Chaka Khan in the mix of dancers . Can't wait ! Talk later's
Old 09-06-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Just up for 10 minutes waiting for my sleeping pill to take effect. 2.45 am and have got work tomorrow. I take one if I absolutely have to, but don't enjoy doing so. Insomnia.....ugh. How is yours, Frank?

I can't believe how good those dancing with the stars competitors get in such a short space of time. It's quite incredible, no?

xxx
Old 09-06-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Just going to head out and do some errands
Will be back later xoxo
Old 09-06-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Cheers, all.

I'll see you at the end of the week.

Have faith in yourselves. We can do this.

V.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Well I had a good day, got some new clothes, I keep telling myself I'll buy new clothes when I lose 10lbs, and since its been a year I suppose that's not going to happen anytime soon so I just bought the damn clothes

I Had " do it yourself"spa night! It was really nice! I cooked my dinner meals for the week, and had a nap.

I've been thinking about going back to AA, but it often gets under my skin, I'm thinking of trying out smart recovery too, and actually doing all the rational recovery reading.

But I'm good, I have a skype date with Irishman tomorrow, it appears I became more attached to him than I realized, he's flying back in nov for a visit, I'm actually pretty excited <3

My brother brought cinnamon buns ( he moved in after a break up with girlfriend)
The delicious buns are sitting downstairs tormenting me- calling me....

How's everyone else?!?!
Xo