Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 4

Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Cripes, you sound so organised!!

I'm at work waiting for someone to come in for a meeting in 10 minutes. Someone else hasn't shown up today and I'm a bit concerned about them. Will ring them later.

So you think maybe not so commitment phobic after all? That's nice :-) Cinnamon buns....numnumnum.

What do you mean AA gets under your skin?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Cripes, you sound so organised!!

I'm at work waiting for someone to come in for a meeting in 10 minutes. Someone else hasn't shown up today and I'm a bit concerned about them. Will ring them later.

So you think maybe not so commitment phobic after all? That's nice :-) Cinnamon buns....numnumnum.

What do you mean AA gets under your skin?
Oh! I hope your people are ok!

AA is good for some people, I know the issue is me
At one point in my life some of the adults in my family became fanatical christian and it was really weird and cult like, it was a very bad time, so at times AA makes me cringe, feel uncomfortable and get angry.
I don't like organized groups of people with an identical mindset conforming to a set of values.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

But I do enjoy the meetings if they're not god heavy, I just don't want to be a "member" and it has nothing to do with the people being alcoholics,
I love recovering alcoholics, I find them so brave, insightful, kind, interesting and many other things. It has to do with how people become when in groups.
I study sociology and we often take a strong look at people in groups and why they behave the way they do, so it makes me nervous....
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I'm not a joiner or group person on any level. What sort of cult-like group did they join?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
I'm not a joiner or group person on any level. What sort of cult-like group did they join?
A born again chritian group, but one where they spoke in tongues and cast ' demons' out of people- they tried to do an excorsism on me a couple times..
Playing cards, music, books etc were all not allowed- only god things.
Our car was sold, all of our money given to them and we moved out into the middle of nowhere, I was 15, but I eventually moved back into the city by myself and stayed with a friend.
I rarely tell anyone this and haven't talked about it in years. Interesting.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Wow. I can totally relate to what you are saying., and these are the same reasons I personally find AA a turn off. I became a born again Christian when I was 18 and didn't 'get out' until I was 28. I can't say I regret it because I'm sure it saved my life in a literal sense and I met many lovely people. In our church, you weren't 'saved' if you didn't speak in tongues. We didn't cast out demons though, and nobody ranted about homosexuality, although of course you couldn't 'be one'. I do believe in 'God' or a higher power. I just don't believe said higher power is precious about what people believe. To my mind, 'God' and love are synonymous.

Funny you should say about not being a 'joiner', Cissy, because I feel the same way, and yet I'm loving having joined SR. It actually feels really great 'belonging' to a community, and I never thought I would ever say that. I think the 'virtual' thing has a lot to do with it. Plus the fact there are so many different viewpoints here, and that is accepted. Like you say, Jen, organised groups of people with identical mindsets all conforming are a bit creepy.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Morning Frank & everyone . Well it's Labor Day , last day of the long holiday weekend . Seen a lot of posts with people having it rough finding things to keep busy for it . That AV will think of anything to celebrate I just decided to shut it up by telling it - It's just another day Drop it already !
My x Mom - n- law wanted her "boy" to have a church wedding . I was never baptized , so we found a Born Again Christen Church to marry us . After they baptized us both . Other then that , I never go to church unless it's for weddings or funerals .
Way at the beginning of trying to get sober I did go to roughly 3-4 AA meetings . Nothing wrong with them if that's what you enjoy . I did get a lot of useful tools to fall back on

Shabby I thing that's amazing how good they get after a few short weeks , in Dancing with the Stars . The one thing I think that's not right is how they just toss everyone in as a group like - different ages , some already have some dance talent . How can a 60 something person do dance moves as good as a 20 year old . Maybe that's just me ? Depends on how you look at it LOL
BP still up & down my Dr's on vacation till the 14th !! Her associate is booked solid with his & her patients . If I can't figure it out , I may have to go to the ER Ugg .. Talk soon all
Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

That's not good, Nesty . It really stinks when you can't get to see your own doctor when you need to If it's up and down like that I imagine it's making you feel a bit queasy and/or dizzy. Bit scary when it's all over the place. I hope you get into see someone soon.

Yeah, you're right. The young'ins definitely have an advantage. People vote for who they like as a personality too, which is also unfair. I love the tango and the flamenco (not that they ever do the flamenco - I guess it's not 'ballroom'). They're all pretty cool really, the dances :-)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Morning!
Still sober
Aw nesty!! I hope its ok, the ER is horrible, takes forever too (((((hug)))))

Shabby! I'm glad you get it! After I typed that out I thought about deleting it because its so odd, but I decided to leave it in, I'm trying to get completely sober so I need to talk about things like why AA makes me uncomfortable etc

Cissy and shabby: the funny thing is that I'm a big time joiner, as long as its not something that seeks some kind of conformity or adherence to set of ideas or behaviour.
I've been to AA, I find it helpful and I usually enjoy myself, though sometimes it makes me want to drink; but that's only because everyone is talking about drinking, I don't want to work the steps, I go for group support.
I found one that's secular, higher power is simply meditating, I like it there but it's only once a week.

I don't have a tv, but I have seem dancing with the stars, I really liked it!
I love the salsa best, always have!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Interesting posts!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. Happy Labor Day! Adios, summer. Well, soon enough. Summer's losing its grip on my little state in a couple of days and we'll finally get a drink of water and the grass and plants and critters will all breathe a sigh of relief. I will join them.

Special hello going out to Mr Lapidas himself. Here is a hug, just for you. (((Hug))) I know you can probably use one.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

And suddenly, there he was.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hola Frank! We've been wondering where you are!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Special hello going out to Mr Lapidas himself. Here is a hug, just for you. (((Hug))) I know you can probably use one.
Always enjoy your hugs Miss (((Cissy))). Even virtual hugs feel good.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Hola Frank! We've been wondering where you are!
Hola, Jen. Had another one of those 'quiet' days yesterday, and prefer to post here when I'm in a cheerier mood (like today)

Read your posts, sounds like you are doing great!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Hola, Jen. Had another one of those 'quiet' days yesterday, and prefer to post here when I'm in a cheerier mood (like today)

Read your posts, sounds like you are doing great!
I'm trying! Addiction is a nightmare

How are you?!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I'm trying! Addiction is a nightmare

How are you?!
Doing pretty well today, thank you. I've faced (almost) no temptation, just that wild ride on my emotional roller coaster. But that, too, shall pass.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Awww Frank your presents have been Greatly missed . Hopefully soon there will be ore Happy then down days for you
Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Awww Frank your presents have been Greatly missed . Hopefully soon there will be ore Happy then down days for you
Nest! Or may I call you Nesty like Shabby does? I like that name: Nesty.

How is your day going?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Of course you can Frank - I like it too sounds cute I should mention it to her . Just got up from a nap trying to up it my BP again . Frustrating !!

Last edited by NestWasEmpty; 09-07-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Up not Lower LOL