View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
KaleGrrl

Casey, I'm so glad you had a good yesterday. Your AA group sounds like a godsend--happy for you!
Nmd, you sound stronger, using your toolbox. I read somewhere that the metabolites of alcohol don't leave the body completely until about day 5 or 6. It might be a little longer than that, but not much. It could be that a craving comes more in those days as the body is adjusting to no alcohol, so best to push through those days.
The other thing I've read is that chronic heavy drinkers have at least somewhat fatty livers, even if their liver enzymes are in normal range in blood work. That can be completely reversed with complete abstinence for months (not sure how many, but it probably depends on each person). And that any drinking after that can set back the liver of an alcoholic quite a bit. That's another bit I keep in my head as I'm getting older and want my senior years to be healthy if possible, and to be really present always for my grown children and grandchild. My toolbox is just busting now, with thanks to SR and you all.
I still don't feel like I have sobriety as an automatic habit just yet, but it's exciting to see that it's getting there. Sometimes now I envision the "beast" (desire) not so much as a horrid beast in a locked cage as tiny yapping puppies scurrying around my feet which I can ignore. I've had to realize that the AV will always be a part of me, but I'll be able to ignore it with greater strength the more I do so successfully over time. It really does getting easier (albeit with some bumps like Casey experienced--bravo on how you handled it, Casey, you're an inspiration as always).
Allie, I hope you can find some ways to deal with your cravings so that it gets easier for you, too. I've kept a running file of things that resonated with me from others on SR and from other online sites as well.
Wishing all a wonderful Friday!