Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 4

Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

DD, hope you are hanging in there. Mets, now that the wedding and the WS dust has settled and things are more or less back to normal, how are things?

I just came from watching the Pats game at some friends - it was fun and we got a win so that's always good. Truth be told I find it hard to actually watch the games with others - I spent most of it playing with some of the kids outside. Yesterday's Christmas festival was really great - I'll be more ready next year in terms of what to bring (big tote bag for sure), but we had a great time and got some really great things, and some of them were actually for other people! We went out for a late lunch/early dinner at an awesome restaurant we had wanted to go to and just generally had a good day. Now it's time to prepare for another work week - I don't look forward to working but cash to pay for all of this stuff has to be generated somehow, so what can you do.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I thought i'd never find Feb 2015 here. Still sober here
Old 11-09-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you found us Kevin

D
Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Hi Kevin - hope you are doing well. Join in, the more the merrier!

I've realized I'm spending and eating "alcoholically" and I need to pull that back. First with the sugar - today is "added sugar free" day. In other words, fruit is ok, but Hershey's bars aren't. And my spending, well, that will be second on the list since it isn't hurting my health and I can basically afford it, but moderation there. It's always something.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Kevin.

Ready, I'm doing well. I figured by now I'd be mad about losing the WS, but I'm honestly happy we made it that far and am excited for spring training. My other favorite team (though not in my username) is Duke basketball and we start on Friday. Been pretty cool that Duke and the Mets basically overlapped this year because they both made it until the final game (Duke won and the Mets lost, so not a perfect world).

I went on a date tonight. First one I've been on since trying this whole sober thing. I scheduled it for 7:00 so that drinks weren't exactly expected and then said early on that I had a presentation at work in the AM and was having club soda. My date had a glass of wine, but didn't seem upset I wasn't drinking and didn't seem to want to order a second herself.

I don't think we hit it off 100%, so I'm not sure it will last, but it's at least somewhat encouraging to get through a date sober that was somewhat enjoyable.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good for you Mets, you made the plunge. I'm glad it went well and at the very least, it's good practice for when you meet someone you click well with. And who knows, sometimes these things are more a gradual thing than a bolt of lightning.

It's a gloomy raw day here and that always affects my moods, plus I woke up with a sore throat and headache. Nothing major, could go either way, so I'm taking advil and hoping it's temporary and not that I'm sick. Work is a drag, just more same old crap, and I'm just not feeling the motivation. I did my year end self evaluation and basically I wouldn't reward me for this year, even though I know I worked hard and did plenty - if I'm being honest, I could have worked harder and did more. This last month or so I feel like I have really been just doing enough to get by.

Oh well, on that note, I will get back to it. At least the week is in its second half.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Good news from the doc, no strep. At least I think it's good news - I was kind of thinking that would get me an excuse to not go to a baby shower tomorrow. Oh well, guess I will go. Otherwise, I've gained 15 lbs in the last 4 months, I knew I was eating sweets like there was no tomorrow, and avoiding the scale (denial runs deep), but now I have a baseline and will hopefully get back on track. I'm sure it will take twice as long to lose the 15 lbs, but it's a hole I dug for myself so only have myself to blame.

All that said, my anxiety is at bay, my health is otherwise good (current cold notwithstanding) so I can't complain too much.

TGIF, and the weekend is almost here. I'm off to have another popsicle (sugar free)!
Old 11-14-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Ready, glad to hear your health is good. Battling weight certainly stinks, but it's more controllable than other health issues. For my own mental health, I do the same thing and avoid the scale. I can tell by how my clothes fit how I'm doing, so I've been sticking to that. Otherwise I drive myself nuts over a few pounds here and there.

As I had thought, the woman said she thought I was a nice guy, but didn't feel any connection. I felt the same way, but was still hoping to see her a few more times. There seemed to be some compatibility. When actively drinking, that type of mild rejection would send me on a bad downward spiral. I'm certainly not thrilled about this, but it is what it is. Drinking won't fix anything.

Last night I had some friends over to watch the Duke game. I really like having people over since the desire to drink is a lot less. Of the five people that showed up, two brought some beers, offered me some, which I declined, and that was that. At the end of the night, I counted five total empties. Had I been involved, well, it would have been a lot more than five, and I'm sure I'd have tried to convince people to go to a bar afterwards. My day today was a bit stressful in dealing with a group project for school that I'm the only one putting in much effort. Again, being hangover free made it a lot easier to deal with. I'm home now, will watch the Duke game tonight on my computer since it's not televised up here and catch up on some TV.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Oh well Mets, sometimes that happens. I never took rejection too well either, although I think I'm better about taking things less personally the older I get. Although I do stew about things I shouldn't, so maybe not. Anyway, you have a good perspective from where I sit. Keep trying.

I can't really tell if I feel better, no worse I guess, although I'm tired. I did manage to get myself to a baby shower which was surprisingly enjoyable. Now I'm in my sweats, under a blanket on the couch, with a cup of tea and throat lozenges next to me. All good.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

OK, I've had this cold for almost a week now and I'm ready for it to be gone. I don't feel lousy enough to warrant a sick day, but am dragging. Otherwise, everything's fine.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hopefully you feel better soon Ready. I know how annoying a nagging cold can be.

I'm up early here getting ready to hit the gym. Had a craving come out of nowhere last night. At one point on the subway ride home, I think I'd made up in my head that I was going to go to the liquor store, then sit at home and drink and watch college basketball. Once I got off the train, I just thought ahead to this AM, put my head down, and literally jogged from the station to my apartment.

As always, it's great waking up at 6AM without a hangover and getting ready for the gym before work.

I have another date set up for this weekend, a lunch date with someone else I connected with online. Given the last one ended so quickly, I already have some nerves, but I know that I can handle the rejection, so I'll just go with the flow.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hey Mets - good for you getting past the craving. Whatever it takes. And as for the dating, I don't know you in real life but from what I see, you're a catch! And besides, the last one ended quickly, which is not pleasant, but is also pretty much the worst that will happen with these upcoming dates. Be yourself and be patient.

I just flashed back to about the worst blind date I ever had - to this day I don't understand why our mutual friends thought we would click! Got to kiss a lot of frogs to get to the prince (or princess).

I slept 12 hours last night!!! I feel a lot better and am luckily working at home today and then even better, all but two meetings were cancelled. So hopefully it will be a nice easy day and I will continue on the upswing.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

TGIF, and I am finally feeling better. Not much to report as I really haven't left the house since Monday - worked from home yesterday due to the cold that was still kicking my arse. Which is to say, I basically napped through the day with my computer on my lap. Either way, I felt very disconnected from my body, not the same way as drinking, but enough similar that I am very very glad that wasn't the reason for my lethargy. One more work day to get through, another good night's sleep and hopefully, all is good.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good weekend Ready

D
Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Ready, hopefully you get back to full strength over the weekend.

I'm heading to the college hoops games at MSG now. Tomorrow I have that lunch date, then will spend most of the evening working on my portion of a group paper.

Sunday will be back to MSG for more college basketball.

I'm a bit tense about going through another first date, but yeah, what happened last week really wasn't very bad at all, so if that happens again, so be it.

For me, I'm happy it's cooling off a bit. Mid 60s and humid in November doesn't feel right at all and is massively uncomfortable inside my apt since they turned the AC off for the building.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too, Mets

D
Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

How'd the date go Mets?

I'm feeling better today, but have decided to stay put on the couch today. I'm just a very poor patient, but the good news for those around me is that I generally just want to be left alone. So I'm playing my new Adele CD (can't get enough of it) and working on my Christmas list. We did go out and get a few things yesterday so I'm making progress there. I am looking forward to the decorating - I collect snowmen and think of some of them as "old friends" that I'm happy to see every year. Corny I know.

I guess the best thing about being sick is that the last thing I feel like doing is drinking.

Football on the docket for this afternoon, hope the MSG games have been fund Mets, and your teams have been winning.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are still sick, but I guess that's some silver lining in that it gets rid of any cravings.

The date went well. The woman said she'd like to "grab drinks" sometime soon. I'll have to game plan that. On the plus side, I did feel like there was a spark there that certainly did not exist with the date I went on two weeks ago. Obviously a drinks date isn't what I had in mind for the second date, and I know it was just a simple invitation to see me again and not a "let's get hammered" invitation. She's going away for Thanksgiving, as am I, so this won't happen until next week, so gives me some time to think about it. Saying I'm a recovering alcoholic isn't something I want to say on a second date and the excuses of trying to lose weight and/or being a bit sick aren't great for a date. I'm thinking that I will try to push for something a bit earlier in the evening and then say I have to study/do homework when I get home, so I'm just sticking to club soda.

MSG was a lot of fun. My team won both games, though didn't look great in doing so. Lots of freshmen, so plenty of time to improve, but I don't think this team is talented enough to get to the Final Four like last year.

Anyway, I love that it's getting cold out. I'm one of the few that welcomes this weather. I'm looking forward to going to my parents' house for thanksgiving. When everything was going horribly in February, I escaped to there or my brother's house every weekend. No concerns at all there about drinking or any urges, so that will be nice. I was fine at MSG this weekend, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about buying a beer when my friends got them. Seeing my friends get one or two all game does serve as a reminder to me that one or two never happened. I'd have bought four or five, then looked to go drinking after the game. So yeah, the long weekend at my parents will be nice and relaxing.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Good update Mets! I'm glad this new date seems promising. I would agree, too early to drop the alcoholism bomb, but definitely not too early to say "i don't drink, just don't like to, don't like the taste, etc. etc.". That clears the messaging and paves the way for a discussion later, if it turns into something worthwhile.

Nothing much going on here. I will not be complaining about this cold that won't go away any more. I have to go out and get a pie later, but otherwise, have nothing to do other than show up on Thursday. Can't wait!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Readyornot & Hi Nymets