Notices

Class of June 2015 Part 2

Old 06-16-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

1stepup, I'm glad you're home and it must have been scary. Please keep posting and take all the help you can to get well. Maybe rehab and some time to properly focus on you would help. I know there is the worry of missing out on the children but they want and need you well and in the fullness of time that could be something you did to help ensure you were there and present long term for them. I wish I'd really tackled my issues earlier, I just numbed it all. Maybe it is time to really look after you and get as well as you can.
There was a window a few years ago where I had to go away for work and considered checking myself in instead. I didn't and in hindsight I regret not taking the time to tackle it then.

I had a crave free day yesterday. I never thought there was such a thing but after the difficult one I had a gift and I took it! I did loads of work (so much backlog) and, drumroll, I finally coloured my hair. I am guessing they are few and far between but it was so nice to experience a day where getting buzzed later wasn't at the top of my head space.
Today I am going to copy Fradley and put on my noise cancelling an do a truck load of work.
*Very* glad that we don't have drive through McDonalds :-) I like their breakfast muffins and if I make it through this week I am going to have one or two.
Good luck to all.
Mayg
Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I'd like to submit my application for admission to the Class of June 2015...

OMB
Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Good morning Mayg - and congrats on the "crave free day".

Interesting to consider that is what other people would just call " a day ". We will get there soon too.

The noise cancelling headphones are still on, it is the wee small hours, I am nipping away at the work backlog, rather than nipping away at the red wine .

Enough already though - I'm officially in Day 11. Bedtime !

F

PS - Bblackbird - has a vacation ever been more earned ? - enjoy.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Lol troy, looks like glamping this go around. We are going with grams and gramps, who bought a fancy new RV (equipped with TV and wifi) and the park we are going to has a stocked pond and pool.

I'll have to introduce them to true camping on another trip. Been a dream of mine to go canoe the boundary waters... someday.
Yeah, that whole camping tradition seems to have been lost, eh? It's sad too, because those were some of my best times as a kid. All summer, every summer, we were camping.

Nowadays, I see people post on Facebook saying they're having a great time "camping", but accompany the post with a photo of the 42" HDTV they brought out with UFC playing, while posting it from their smart phone within their wifi enabled camp site

Hmmmm....
Old 06-16-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good break BBF

welcome switzgirl and ownmybehaviour

I'm glad you re-thought the dumpster dive, Max

D
Old 06-16-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Been lurking and not posting. Drank after about 10 days. It was stupid, but an improvement. This time last year I would drink 10 days and skip one , I think.
Full plate a lot of you have, and I admire your fights to live. I'm in one too. Each day is all I can handle.
Hugs to all of you
Old 06-16-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
and I admire your fights to live.
That's what makes us human. Us homosapiens are one of the poorest evolving species on this planet, but we're still alive and kicking for a reason It's our intellect and survival instincts. We don't go without a fight, that's for sure.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back JL

D
Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful holiday BBB, you've earned it.
Welcome to the newcomers. I know that it has helped me being here. I used to read the boards for a couple of years on and off then I joined in March and did ten days but didn't post much, just a couple of times but I had a big bender at the end of May and decided I needed to read posts and post every day and focus on staying sober as much as i had focussed on being pissed and it has helped a lot. I am on Day 19. Can't really believe it as I haven't managed that in more than a decade! In that time I haven't managed many Day 3's either to be honest. Or Day 2's. Yikes! So, it is possible. I am very mindful that I have only posted properly during the time that I have managed to get a stretch of days behind me. I thank SR and the June guys for that and I just wanted to say that there have been so, so, so many stuff ups but I didn't have the guts to post during them, I couldn't even admit to myself, so I really admire people's honesty and brevity as we go along this bumpy road.
Best wishes all
Mayg
Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Good one May. I think posting really helps keep us positive and the av quiet. I have been on and off this site for two years, and I find if I stuff up and don't post about it because I'm ashamed I don't come back for a while, then I'm back drinking again. I think we just need to be honest, then get the support we need.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

I so agree, Chanty. That is why I really admire all the people who fall off and get straight back on. When I fall off and take three weeks or months to decide to venture back. No more. I'm out of that game and taking it seriously Maygx
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayg View Post
I so agree, Chanty. That is why I really admire all the people who fall off and get straight back on. When I fall off and take three weeks or months to decide to venture back. No more. I'm out of that game and taking it seriously Maygx
Same. It's not just one leads to one night of binging, it leads to months of binging. Ugh. Proud of y'all for coming straight back.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Day 2! I can do this I wish I could sleep all day, but that usually what I think every morning before I start waking up a little.

Have a good day everyone. I'll keep popping in now and then during the day
Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everyone. In the middle of day 13 today. I still haven't worked out a way to just sit down and chill out. As soon as I do I automatically think that a drink would be nice right now. I've accepted that this is not possible for me so I jump up and start doing other stuff. Yes, I'm being productive but I do just want to sit down and relax with an empty mind. I guess it is too soon for me to enjoy that so I'll keep distracting myself until i find a way to just sit.
Apart from doing all i can to avoid a drink, I am really enjoying sobriety. I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday and didn't hate the person I saw. Many mornings I had abused myself in the mirror calling me all sorts of terrible names. Now I am proud at what i have achieved this past couple of weeks. Physically, i have lost weight (which was noticed by the hubby yeah!), my face is fuller not so sunken, pains in lower right abdomen have gone and I am just taking more pride in myself than before. Mentally, I'm actually quite tired. Reading this website many times a day, being vigilant about not drinking and have weird dreams. I'm not bounding out of bed yet, but this will happen I'm sure. But the sense of pride i feel knowing that I am starting to take control of my life again is exhilarating. My head is clearer now. The first week or so of sobriety was dedicated to this site and constantly thinking about plans to stay sober. Now I am more organised in my work and enjoying far better and productive lessons. My husband has also really reduced the amount he drinks. I never drank beer so he stills drinks the beer but doesn't buy a bottle of shochu (rice wine) anymore. If this was in the house, the struggle would be much harder. So I am very grateful to him for helping me and I think he is understanding more and more each day.
And of course a HUGE thank you to this site and everyone posting. It's very helpful reading about peoples triumphs and struggles and knowing that people are writing from their hearts. I'm not particularly good at remembering names or where people are up to (should take down notes as I read) but I appreciate each and every post.

1setup, I am so pleased that you are posting here. Your honesty will most definitely help save peoples lives. I'm sure at least one person has gone to seek medical treatment after reading about your ordeal. I thought about you all day yesterday and was very relieved to hear that you are getting the help you deserve. You deserve it because you are really trying to get through this and you are reaching out for help. I wish you all the best in your recovery. Your family will be so so proud of you and you'll be able to hug your daughters for many more years to come. Good luck.
Sorry again for the generic congratulations, but Congratulations to everyone on here who continues to fight and conqueror day by day, hour by hour.
Enjoy your days or nights.
Take care all.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone -

Well, our local NBA team won the Finals tonight (pro basketball here in America). This absolutely qualifies as a reason to get full blown drunk. I mean, any reason pretty much works, but this is a semi-socially acceptable one...

And I didn't drink. And I'm really happy about that. And I like me a little better because of it - which is nice because I haven't liked myself that much lately.

So, small thing, but it's something. I have so, so far to go, but I guess it's important to take our small victories.

* Oh, and I got a sponsor for AA. I have resisted doing this for years, and pretty much resigned myself that AA is weird and I can do this on my own. But I've gotten to a point where I am reaching for help anywhere I can.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Congrats to you too sandy and Scram!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you didn't drink Scram. A little victory goes a long way

I had to go to the store this morning to buy hotdogs since my daughter had a school trip with barbequing today. A guy in front of me bought a six pack of beers. Here you can only buy alcohol between 8 in the morning and 8 at night (6 on Saturdays and nothing on Sundays). It was just past 8 and I could see he was shaky. Made me happy that I choose to be sober today
Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Well done Scram. I like your comment of liking yourself more for it. It's the small victories that keep us moving on.
Just managed to sit and relax for nearly 2 hours. I started reading ZABoozer thread " two days in (48 hours). Very well written and interesting. He really highlights the day to day changes. Couldn't believe I was reading it for so long! I highly recommend it.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Administrator

really great going Sandy and Scram

D
Old 06-17-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Hope you enjoy your camping trip blackbirdfly.

Well done Scram totally with you on not liking myself much either.

Was thinking last night about my circle of friends all apart from one drinks a lot. Every outing whatever it is shopping camping etc will end in a pub. I really am not a great mixer I am naturally quiet and used to be shy think I used alcohol to help in social situations. Not so bad these days but where do you go to meet sober people it's going to be a challenge. Anyway baby steps not going to worry about that today.