Notices

Class of June 2015 Part 2

Old 06-17-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I haven't been posting, but I've been reading everything that everyone else has said. I'm on day 10 now and things have been going well.

To anyone that may feel they're struggling, keep at it! I have had/been having the same thoughts. Especially when you put a couple of days between the most recent "bad" experience (they're all bad, I know), you begin to think that maybe you're ready for another try. This time will be different! Spoiler alert: it won't.

When those thoughts pop into my head, I've found the best thing to do is to tell myself to revaluate those thoughts in 5, 10, 20, whatever minutes. It hits me in the evening. I'll think to myself: "It's been a hard day, you've done a lot of work, you deserve it..." As soon as those key words are thought, I simply think "Not now, think about it again in twenty minutes. You've never regretted waiting twenty minutes for a drink, but you've regretted nearly every first drink."

At that point, I wait. If I'm still in that mood, I'll give myself another 20 minutes. The old saying is true...one day at a time. Don't allow yourself to jump ahead to holidays or weddings without alcohol. Don't fight a fight that's not in front of you. If you're distracted by the ones in the distance, you won't see the sneak attack right in front of your face.

I wake up every day and one of the things I think about with my coffee is "I won't drink today." As the day progresses, I continue to remind myself that I can do it today.

Having said that, I faced my first real challenge tonight. I have avoided any situation with alcohol for the last week and a half as I'm not yet ready. However, some colleagues opened a bottle of wine and said "Franz?" I have feared this moment as I didn't want to get weird looks as I stumble through an excuse. I said "I'm fine, thanks."

And that was it. Really, there's no addition to that story. No one asked me why I wasn't having wine or gave me a weird look. I'm sure over time more and more will notice and I'll have to ready myself for it. However, tonight, I did it. My old reaction would have had me coming home and continuing the wine with more drinking. I beat today.

Thank you to all that have shared their triumphs and struggles. I can relate to so many of the tales and that's incredibly important. Keep up the great work and don't let yourself get down if you've had challenges, doubts, or discouragement.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Thanks Franz! That is a very helpful post
Old 06-17-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Originally Posted by FranzFerdinand View Post

Having said that, I faced my first real challenge tonight. I have avoided any situation with alcohol for the last week and a half as I'm not yet ready. However, some colleagues opened a bottle of wine and said "Franz?" I have feared this moment as I didn't want to get weird looks as I stumble through an excuse. I said "I'm fine, thanks."
This is a big thing but I have found that friends that talk you into 'just the one' or aren't happy with you declining a drink need to be shut out of your life completely. Period. Work colleagues is probably even harder as you can't just shut them out so well done you!! Two people that remain in my life over the last couple of days haven't been at all bothered when I have said I wouldn't be out on Friday evening AND have told them I'm going 100 days sober and it's such a relief that I don't have to justify it, they just accept it, no questioning, it's cool.

Start of day 6 for me (sorry, Aussie time, morning here) and it was a pleasure waking up and going to the bathroom in the night without staggering around in the dark, crashing into walls, stinking to high heaven with a headache and rotten dry mouth and pounding head still drunk. I knew I could go back to bed and wake up fresh.

Thank you for all of the friendly advice and guidance from everyone with how to approach things like the weekend, making sure enjoyable things are planned. These things should be so easy but for a lot of us they are not. I feel ready to tackle this problem square in it's ugly face!!! Ain't going to be easy, only on day 6 - next stop a gloriously dry weekend
Old 06-17-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Re-Member

mebutmuchbetter -- there's no need to qualify day six with an "only." Day six is amazing! Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
mebutmuchbetter -- there's no need to qualify day six with an "only." Day six is amazing! Congrats on your sobriety!
Ab - so - bloody - lute - ly !

A fantastic achievement. Six days to look back on with total pride as you navigate the next day.

The more I read on here, the more I understand the ' one day at a time ' approach. Not now, not today.

And I read a LOT here

( not as much as Nerina of course - heroic

Franz - Thank you, thank you !

G'nIght from South Africa - Third night in a row I have done some real work - I can see a pattern developing here.

F ( Day 12 ( just) )
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Proudly on day 6

One thing I was going to mention but forgot is that whenever I come to this forum there are a lot of registered members viewing but so many more guests looking, usually about five times more.

I just wanted to say that if you are viewing as a guest and need help, join up now and just say 'hello', it could be the first small step in completely changing your life around - saying "hello"
Old 06-17-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Hopeful

"Don't fight a fight that's not in front of you. If you're distracted by the ones in the distance, you won't see the sneak attack right in front of your face. "

Franz, that is SO profound even while being simple. I need to remember that because that is my tendency-make big plans for things that are coming up in the future and then fall into the trap right in front of me. Thanks for those words
Old 06-17-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeremiah, Lucy and Shenzy. This site is so helpful to get you through the first few days and beyond. Read and post as much as you can.
Well done Nerina for making it through day 2. The beginning is so tough, but you can make it to day 3. Be strong.
Congratulations to Fradley, Yuri and Franz for breaking double digits. Everyday is a wonderful achievement but there is something about reaching double digits that gives you a "Way to go me!" feeling. This is where the recent posts about relapsing after months of sobriety really hit home. You've proven to yourself that you can give up for more than a week.
I'm beginning day 14. Nearly 2 full weeks. I made it to 3 weeks once and relapsed to enjoy a drink with my husband. That was a couple of years ago. I hadn't accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic and can never enjoy a drink again.
This time I have been reading a lot. Not just posts about how people are giving up, but I have been following peoples journeys on here. From months of sobriety to years. The effects of relapse posts for me are the most important. I must fully understand the impact alcohol had and will have on my life. I'm not there yet, but working on it day by day.
I echo the previous post. If you are reading these posts and want to stop your lifestyle, say hello and join us. It really is the beginning of a new life.
I feel so good about myself. I actually enjoyed a good sleep last night and woke up feeling fresh and ready to start the day.
And start the day I must do! Gotta get to work!
Take care everyone.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Day 15.

I'm happy to see all the additions to the class since my last post. Welcome! Take your shoes off and stay awhile!

Life is grand, my day 14 was spent catching tons of fish(largemouth bass if you're wondering). Then today got to take my mother and sister out fishing. I got to act as a guide and help them bait, cast, unhook, etc. It felt good to do something for them and not have them worrying about me and my struggle. Dead tired, but I'm going to head out here shortly.

Anyways, I'm realizing how vital SR is to my daily routine to stay sober. I've had no triggers or real urges, but complacently is what killed 9 months. Reading everyone's posts and posting daily keeps me grounded. Much love, Nolan
Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Good to see so many peeps posting!

Well, day 3 has been a bit difficult. Not with cravings, or AV chatter. Its my relationship with my husband, and my marrige of 30+ years. We argued over something so trivial, and it just makes me so sad we have come to this. Its always this way with us, for so very long now. Why we stay 2gthr, is mostly financial reasons, really.

Usually, I would run right to the beer, and cigs, and start trying to 4get how unhappy I really am. Not this time, I'm toughing it out, crying just a lil, but really questioning my whole entire life choices. Its very depressing. I've failed miserably, I know that in my heart.

Just felt like putting that out there. Don't expect any sympathy, or any advice. It is what it is, and its REALLY NOT WORTH DRINKING OVER! I'm praying I'm finally making SOME progress here, because this is the 1st time in a long time I haven't run to the bottle for comfort over this crap. AMEN!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Keep strong Maximus. Well done for being strong and not reaching for the bottle. Look after yourself and take care.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Thanks much SandyO. Made it thru my 1st hurdle , so to speak. Know more are coming. Posting helped a lot, instead of keeping it all bottled up, or reaching for the bottle. Strange to deal with things sober, but I made it! It wasn't fun, it wasn't comfortable, but its over now, I'm still sober and grateful for that!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Late to the party, but joining the class of June 2015!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Checking in with the Junebugs!

Hey everyone! Our class has grown- that is awesome. I'm almost completely finished with day 17- 49 minutes until midnight on the east coast. I have stayed sober through a family function, a baseball game at the stadium, and the last two weeks of school. Teenagers lose their minds and drive their teachers crazy during the month of June. I hope everyone is doing well- sending love and support your way. Wherever you are in this process/journey be proud! Celebrate the little triumphs that roll into success. SR has been vital for all of us. Much love to all!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FranzFerdinand View Post
I haven't been posting, but I've been reading everything that everyone else has said. I'm on day 10 now and things have been going well.

To anyone that may feel they're struggling, keep at it! I have had/been having the same thoughts. Especially when you put a couple of days between the most recent "bad" experience (they're all bad, I know), you begin to think that maybe you're ready for another try. This time will be different! Spoiler alert: it won't.

When those thoughts pop into my head, I've found the best thing to do is to tell myself to revaluate those thoughts in 5, 10, 20, whatever minutes. It hits me in the evening. I'll think to myself: "It's been a hard day, you've done a lot of work, you deserve it..." As soon as those key words are thought, I simply think "Not now, think about it again in twenty minutes. You've never regretted waiting twenty minutes for a drink, but you've regretted nearly every first drink."

At that point, I wait. If I'm still in that mood, I'll give myself another 20 minutes. The old saying is true...one day at a time. Don't allow yourself to jump ahead to holidays or weddings without alcohol. Don't fight a fight that's not in front of you. If you're distracted by the ones in the distance, you won't see the sneak attack right in front of your face.

I wake up every day and one of the things I think about with my coffee is "I won't drink today." As the day progresses, I continue to remind myself that I can do it today.

And that was it. Really, there's no addition to that story. No one asked me why I wasn't having wine or gave me a weird look. I'm sure over time more and more will notice and I'll have to ready myself for it. However, tonight, I did it. My old reaction would have had me coming home and continuing the wine with more drinking. I beat today.

Thank you to all that have shared their triumphs and struggles. I can relate to so many of the tales and that's incredibly important. Keep up the great work and don't let yourself get down if you've had challenges, doubts, or discouragement.
Very well done. Broken down it's really as simple as that. The psychology of beating addiction requires us to recognize this simple power in ourselves, acknowledge it and reinforce it. I don't think it's very helpful to cuddle and soothe ourselves when we fail and to justify it as adults. That's enabling behavior. Sometimes the shame of failure needs to be allowed to play out it's healthy role. Again well done ! YOU CAN DO IT, don't fool yourself that you can't next time.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fradley View Post
Ab - so - bloody - lute - ly !

A fantastic achievement. Six days to look back on with total pride as you navigate the next day.

The more I read on here, the more I understand the ' one day at a time ' approach. Not now, not today.

And I read a LOT here

( not as much as Nerina of course - heroic

Franz - Thank you, thank you !

G'nIght from South Africa - Third night in a row I have done some real work - I can see a pattern developing here.

F ( Day 12 ( just) )
A South African showing courtesy to an Australian ? It's true...sobriety can perform miracles !

:P

(In-joke...we're quite aggressive sporting rivals). Greetings from mzanzi here Fradley !

A few observations about how sobriety is improving my life.

Work : As a sales rep I used to spend as little time as possible with my clients, almost as my sense of self worth was telling me they don't want my time and I don't deserve theirs. Quite robotic and anxious really. Nobody wants to buy from someone who clearly has something to hide (even if it's in their own mind) as people can smell when you're not genuine.

Of late I find appointments running into hours and building relationships. I simply feel better about myself, about my job and my ability to do it. And the figures show it.

Sleep and mood (related) are wonderful : I am awake at 6:20 am after already having gone for a walk. I can't wait to get to work and face the day.

Health : My skin has cleared up. I've lost around 3kg's.

All this and only 2 and bit weeks in.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Today was day 14 for me.
Just venting here but I am a little nervous because I don't have the happy/excited feelings like I had in the beginning when reaching milestones. I was so happy when I passed my first day, weekend, week, etc without drinking. The last few days I have developed an indifferent, almost a "who cares" type attitude and I am hoping it is just a passing phase and that it doesn't mean I am losing motivation. This is so important to me and I don't want to mess it up now.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Hi All
I been reading everything but been too sick with the flu for two weeks to concentrate on writing something.
Looks like some great success is being had.
I've been doing real well till yesterday. Watched the football with some friends and picked up some camping gear I had loaned to a friend. Was designated driver so no drinking for me. Got home to unload the camping gear and found a bottle of red stashed in the camping gear by my friend, a gift for the loan. He was not aware I was trying to give up entirely. Wasn't tired when I got home so, "the rest is history", as the saying goes.
Back to Day 1, after 16 days of good behaviour. Bugger!
It was the usual, one glass won't hurt.
Woke up fine but disappointed.
Feel I've let the June class down.
JS
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find whatever it is you need to quit for good James.
Is telling your mates not an option for you?

D
Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Today was day 14 for me.
Just venting here but I am a little nervous because I don't have the happy/excited feelings like I had in the beginning when reaching milestones. I was so happy when I passed my first day, weekend, week, etc without drinking. The last few days I have developed an indifferent, almost a "who cares" type attitude and I am hoping it is just a passing phase and that it doesn't mean I am losing motivation. This is so important to me and I don't want to mess it up now.
Tread very carefully. This habit of counting milestones has the implicit logic "since" behind it....and since in itself does not imply finality. Unless you truly convince yourself of what (for an alcoholic) is an absolute truth...that you CAN NOT EVER DRINK AGAIN, you're going to be on here with a lot more "back to day 1" stories.

The good news is this flat effect is your body adjusting. With time it will go away and be replaced with an entire myriad of new feelings, joys, pleasures ..clarity..as your dopamine and serotonin receptors re adjust to your new brain chemistry. Even then it won't be safe for you to drink but at least you'll more to your life than just the struggle against alcohol addiction (which like anything will get stale if you base your entire persona behind it). You've come this far. Day by day now brings you closer and closer to non alcoholic bliss.