Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 4)

Old 06-05-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Casey, I really admire you. Your commitment to sobriety really empowers me to take a closer look at the things I'm doing right and the things I need to work on if I'm going to make this work. Do what you gotta do to maintain your sobriety.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

SansaS -- great job on 7 days! I'm an "all or nothing" kinda girl too. Moderation never worked for me.

Gina -- congrats on 25 days! That's awesome!!

Casey -- I agree with you that there have been quite a few on here that are hurting. It has been difficult to read some of the posts the last few days without my AV screaming... It's still screaming, but I am taking this one minute at a time and hope I make it through the night, let alone the weekend.

Good luck with AA. I have been giving serious thought to attending regular meetings myself. Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day seven, SansaS! One week is amazing. I saw you've been active on the June thread too so glad you came back in here to check in on us. Hope all is ok with you.

I'm looking forward to catching up on the previous episode of your namesake's tv show when I get home from vacation tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

There was a time I couldn't make three days JimUk.
what are you doing for your recovery besides posting here and trying not to drink?

I spent years resigned to the fact I was an alcoholic and there was nothing I could do about that.

Turns out there was everything I could about that

Gotta be honest - I'm sorry to read your post TenTx.

I think all of us, whether we admit it to ourselves or not, have tried to control our drinking and failed before we signed up here.

I understand you gotta do what you gotta do but if it doesn;t work for you don't keep at it - come back ok?

I really recommend folks read this thread before they think about moderation again:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-drinking.html

I do understand how hard this all is - even by the end when I hated drinking I still drank because it was comfortable (or less uncomfortable than being sober) and familiar.

It takes a real leap of faith to commit willingly to some weeks of discomfort while we get reacquainted with being sober.

But, guys it's SO so worth it.

I got my life back and it's better than ever now - I think everyone deserves that.

D
Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words, Dee.

I hear you. If it doesn't work, I'll come right back, I promise.

If it does work, I'll keep it to myself.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hi casey, you will love the episode. I think it's the best one ever xo thanks for welcoming me in here. I wasn't sure which month to go in so decided to do both as I need as much support as possible
Old 06-05-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Re-Member

That link to that old thread on moderation was awesome from start to finish, Dee. I'm bookmarking it and hope everyone takes the time to read it if you get a chance. The first couple of pages are where most of the meat is but it's worth reading all seven pages. There's an especially good statistical analysis on moderation on post #105 by our Class of May resident scientific mind nmd.

Speaking of, has anyone heard from nmd? Too hard for me to search for members and recent posts on my phone.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks, Dee. for resurrecting the thread regarding moderation. I have to say it has been on my mind all day....trying to come up with an educated retort that is!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Surrender2win View Post

Casey -- I agree with you that there have been quite a few on here that are hurting. It has been difficult to read some of the posts the last few days without my AV screaming... It's still screaming, but I am taking this one minute at a time and hope I make it through the night, let alone the weekend.

Good luck with AA. I have been giving serious thought to attending regular meetings myself. Let us know how it goes for you.
Sometimes one minute at a time is what it takes. Don't be afraid to post cries for help in here or in the busier Newcomers forum if necessary.

Have you been to AA before? If not give it a chance. It sure can't hurt.

Like I said I've been to lots of meetings over the years but have never truly participated. As much as I hate asking for help, that's exactly what I'm going to do this time. It may not be for me but I'll never know if I don't finally give it a real try. And I do know I need something more. Being active here on SR has been a huge help but I need something more personal too if I want to move forward.

And of course I'll let you all know how it goes. Have you seen how big a blabbermouth I am in here? There's nothing I enjoy more than talking about myself.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It takes a real leap of faith to commit willingly to some weeks of discomfort while we get reacquainted with being sober.

But, guys it's SO so worth it.

^^^^^ I love when you say this, Dee. You've been saying it to me for 6 months now and every time I read it, I do my best to trust it. My own thoughts can't be trusted but yours can. Because you know first hand. That's something I don't think any of us can ever hear enough.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Sansa, post as often as you need to. We've got a lot of support in this class to go around.

Surrender, same goes for you. Post often. Sometimes putting it out there that your AV is yammering away takes the power right out of it.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Well, so much for the chat meeting. I've tried everything and all it says is "plugin required." Oh, well......off to watch something mindless for a while
Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Ginamarie323 View Post
Well, so much for the chat meeting. I've tried everything and all it says is "plugin required." Oh, well......off to watch something mindless for a while
Yeah, if I remember right you have to have Java installed and activated to enter chat. Most browsers don't have Java ready to go anymore because of security concerns, but I think SR is trustworthy enough. I use a Mac at home and it took a while to get chat working the first time if I remember correctly.

Nothing wrong with something mindless. I binged today on a bunch of episodes of an FX sitcom from last year called Married. Very very funny realistic twist on your ordinary family sitcom. Have a happy and sober Friday night!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post

Like I said I've been to lots of meetings over the years but have never truly participated. As much as I hate asking for help, that's exactly what I'm going to do this time. It may not be for me but I'll never know if I don't finally give it a real try. And I do know I need something more. Being active here on SR has been a huge help but I need something more personal too if I want to move forward.
Asking for help was the hardest part for me. I'm taking my time with a sponsor, and haven't seriously started the hard steps yet, but I've made so many friends who have so much knowledge just from a few meetings a week for the last few weeks. I love this website but it's too easy to ignore when I really want to drink. I know you're all here but being able to call someone that one moment the urge is too strong really makes a difference. They text, call and email me as well. It's to see that they need you just as much as you need them. I was always an isolated drinker as well, and it's really gotten me out of my shell. I even do lunch a few times a week with some other AA'ers.

I know it's not for everyone, but I truly believe it is my 'z' and I wouldn't have made it to today without them.

Cissy, I certainly feel like most of this is a huge struggle, but I've had a few 'a-ha' moments, and now I'm on the hunt to make those the majority of my life. I never once had that feeling when I was drinking. Never.

In the end it's up to you guys. No one else can keep you sober, but I hope you know we'll all be here if you decide to come back.

I had some cravings driving home from work. Totally forgot halt, but thought, I'll just take a shower and see how I feel. And after my shower I thought, well I'm going to bed in an hour or so, surely I can stay sober another hour. We'll deal with tomorrow once it's here.
Sure enough I was just hungry and tired, but it scared me how easy it was to forget HALT and seriously consider that first drink as it's been a while since I felt that way.

I emailed/texted my AA buddies from above and now I'm happily in bed with a full stomach

Re: Chat Meetings. You do need java installed, but it's totally worth it! Only takes a few minutes and the meetings are very helpful I find/

I hope you all have a lovely, sober night.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Absolutely loved that, Site. Enjoy the rest of your night and sleep well!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great post site! Love the testimonial on how you're integrating AA into your life. That's just the kind of thing I need to hear.

Good to hear how you worked thru your cravings. Remembering to remember HALT is nowhere close to automatic for me yet but, lo and behold, near every time I'm feeling a little off (not just talking about cravings) it almost always can be explained by one of those four triggers if I just slow down long enough to realize it.

Heading for bed in a little while. Got nine hours on the road starting early tomorrow. Then it's back to real life.

Thanks again to each and every one of you today for helping to keep me sober one more day. Day 29 is in the books.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

To my May 2015 classmates:

Fitness Motivation -- Inspirational Quote.jpg
Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Day 30: Reunion

I am a SIX-time alumnus of the thirty day mark. If I'm not wrong I believe this day earns me an AA chip, which, if I participated in AA I could add to my stack of 5 other same-colored chips. Of course, perhaps if I followed AA and went to support meetings, I wouldn't have six 30-day chips because I would have followed the program and been getting a five-year chip, if those exist. One month seems to me like a reunion of sorts, but a dubious milestone.

So as I sit here at the airport gate awaiting my flight to a major US city, all by my lonesome, with nobody to watch out for me but me, I wonder what the next 48 hours will bring.....with about 800 fabulous bars and eateries within walking distance of my hotel. We shall see.....

Good luck to all.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 30 here. Watching the sun rise over the lake behind our house before we pack the car. 475 miles from home.

4thekidz -- congrats on your 30 days. If I'm counting right this is my seventh time at the 30 day mark. I choose to think of all those other times as necessary side trips leading up to the journey I'm on today. Have a safe and sober trip and stick to the eateries.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober Saturday.