Old 04-04-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Hey now!

Day 6 check in

Good morning everybaday!!!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Last night I started craving beer like MAD we were outside and it was 60 degrees out and sunny and I did not come one here like I was supposed to.
And I said the magic words to hubs, "Boy, it sure would be nice to have some beers and a funny movie tonight"
hubs-"We don't have any"
me- "Oh. Well probably better anyway, I don't want to feel crappy tomorrow and drink all those calories"
hubs-"Yep"

So that was that, I am perfectly capable of driving to get my own beer, but in my own way I am asking his permission to drink tonight, and he was saying no, because he was perfectly capable of getting some too, but instead he said "We don't have any"

So happy that he stood his ground! Of course if he doesn't enable that way he enables a different way and told us all to get in the van to get ice cream.
Hey ArcticSA, no disrespect to you but it sounds like you are relying on your husband to decided whether you stay sober, as opposed to you saying, I will NOT drink tonight, whether hubby brings drinks in or not.

My hubs is a big drinker, always has scotch in the house, but I know I have to do this on my own, whether he wants to drink or not. THIS IS FOR ME! And it's on me too if I make that decision.

As I said, I mean no disrespect and believe me I know how hard it is!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
hubs-"We don't have any"
What if he had said, "Great idea! Be right back"?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

happy easter all, i am all coffee'ed out and need to get moving. Hanging out with daughter today. Have a great day and keep doing the sober thing.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Court jester

Feeling a touch introspective today. Thinking about my sobriety plan. My short term plan has worked in spades! Now just thinking about what changes, if any, I want to make moving forward. Do I immerse myself in AA? I struggle with that one due to the partial exclusivity mentality of some of its members. The "our way is the only way" thing rubs me so wrong on so many levels. Read some of the 12 and 12 last night and those ideas jumped off the page. I chalk it up to my strict religious upbringing that had the same mentality.

In the meantime, I will continue with my current plan. Gonna hit a 3:30 meeting and enjoy the Final Four with my son tonite. Happy Saturday family!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Bmac, I went to meetings for the first four months - every day. I found in the end that AA was not for me but I got a lot out of it regardless. There is a lot of wisdom in the rooms. I still read the daily readings and spend time on the spiritual. I think AA as a program is valuable. It is a good common sense way to live a happy life. It's just important to put ego aside and not take things personally that are said by people - whether in AA or anywhere else.

None of us are perfect. I believe that all painful experiences teach me something and that if something bothers me, it is me who has the problem. I come from a pure place, not meaning harm, and I feel others (for the most part) do too. People in AA are trying to get better. God's not through with any of us yet
Old 04-04-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Ahhhhh av coming on strong today. Beautiful day, having a few friends over to bbq and I know they'll be enjoying beers while I wallow in my soda water. I'm so anxious, can feel it in my chest. Whyyyy can't I have just one?! It's gonna be a long summer.. Seems like I'm going to have to give up my social life or take Antabuse all summer if I'm going to want to be "normal" and participate in any social events. I want to scream right now.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a lot of folks who work AA who don't run 'the only way line', BMac
If you think you need more, why not give it a try?

There are other recovery groups to look into too

D
Old 04-04-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give yourself a chance strangeangel
This is early recovery - it won't always be this hard

I really recommend you think about doing something apart from the antabuse tho.

it doesn't have to be AA if that scares you - but you need to challenge that urge to drink

Where does that "Whyyyy can't I have just one?!" come from?
could you really be happy with just one?
how many times have you had just one?

really challenge that AV.

D
Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
how many times have you had just one?
D
In the past 21 years of drinking nearly every day, I can remember having "just one" maybe two or three times. Maybe. That might be an over-estimate

In other words, it doesn't happen.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Yea.. "Having just one" is a nice idea but not my reality. Thanks the encouraging advice! I made it through the bbq and am so happy I won't be hungover tomorrow. Being able to come back to here when I've resisted av is super awesome. Have a beautiful evening!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear it strangeangel - you too!

D
Old 04-04-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Daughter was called into work today so cancelled plans with her. Spent boring day at home with dogs doing zilch and conversing with AV. Dogs ran to front door barking several times cuz they thought someone else was present. AV causes tourette syndrome. Poor doggies! Just got done watching strange syfy movie. What's really strange is that I finished the movie. I did pick some weeds in garden, took nap outside, started a new book, made stir-fry beef and veggies for supper, several ice waters and grapefruit drinks, Moe got a bath, spent several hours on SR and took shower. Just hanging out. Having Easter dinner tomorrow and planning a church visit.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

My AV is crazy today. I cannot quiet it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Easter tomorrow. I used to make raspberry mixed drinks and mimosas for Easter brunch. I always drank too much, felt too tired to clean up afterwards...That's better. Trying to kick the AV to the curb.

I was shopping at the market today and I saw a bunch of single-serve wine bottles next to the bread in the deli. That was really hard to shake off. That single-serve bottle would have been easy to hide, I thought.

Yuck. It was like Beringer or some really horrid brand of wine, too.

I am starting to see the value of one day at a time. I am a long-stretch person, but right now I just have to put one foot in front of the other.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Not seeing friends makes things easier for me. So I am reluctant to resume a social life. I am liking the focused solitude, the getting a lot done per day--and all the rest that goes with decisively turning to inner resources.

That's all I can think of to write at the moment, but I wanted you to know I am following your experiences even though I do not have much to say.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing ok Pouncer, I agree it's a trigger-y time of year I used to have that same kind of brunch!
Keep strong
Old 04-04-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Not seeing friends makes things easier for me. This has made me reluctant to resume a social life. I like focused solitude, getting a lot done per day--and all the rest that goes with it. That's all I can think of to write at the moment, but I wanted you to know I am following your experiences even though I do not have much to say.
I'm exactly the same atm, tending to avoid seeing people as a way of avoiding temptation and also anxiety - difficult to then reemerge and I'm not sure I want to either. No answers there but I guess there are worse things
Glad you're getting lots done though! Definitely doesn't sound so bad if you're feeling productive
Old 04-04-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

I tried the single-serve bottles, one a night, right. Getting drunk on cheap wine is not good.

Watching Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I'm a bit late to class. Is there room for one more?