Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Immri

D
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Good morning, Marchers. I'm starting to think I need to fix my life not just fill up the time. I still believe that just not drinking is all that is required of sobriety. However, there is still a leftover hole that creates an uncomfortable life. I went back over the advice I was given earlier to see what I am not following and found these four pieces:
  • Tell someone and make yourself accountable.
  • Do not underestimate the changes that you will need to make in your life. It's not just about the alcohol; it's about so much more.
  • Find support. Most people find it very difficult to do alone. Reach out BEFORE you drink.
  • Action is required. Make a plan and then take action on it. Recovery requires consistent work. Don’t expect to simply get sober and then move on in a few months. Be ready to do whatever it takes.

I tried telling my wife, but she doesn't really follow through on the accountability part.

Just some thoughts this morning. I hope everyone is have a good sober day!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Well Marchers, I made it to day 24 somehow. I did go to the liquor store. I parked the car, turned it off, and sat there. I sat there for a good fifteen minutes going back and forth between leaving with a bottle and just leaving. Eventually, I just left. When I got home it just got worse. Don't know why but there seemed to be something in the air. I found myself thinking, "Damn it. I should've gotten that bottle. I need it." But, lo and behold, I made it.

I hope everyone else is finding some inner strength. Sometimes saying no feels like a losing choice. AV makes you feel defeated but that's not the case.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Artic- Can I just say your husband sounds a lot like mine. If I even mention drinking he is like out the door getting the vodka and whiskey. Well he WAS like that a few weeks ago. I think he finally has hit that point where is tired of seeing me suffer so we have an agreement that if I mention alcohol he wont just give in our jump at the chance to drink like he used to. I hope he sticks to that. Not because I hold him accountable for my actions but because I need him to do that for me so I don't go messing stuff up again. I have to get my life right! Good luck girl!
Sounds like your husband is moving in the right direction. That's awesome! Having your loved ones on board can only make quitting that much easier right? Good luck to you!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you made it Spirit.

Sounds like one of my early days when I walked all the way to the liquor store, bought a bottle...and dumped it in a roadside bin on the way home.

Something shifted in me after that. I hope it will for you too
Old 03-31-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Well. It is day 31 for me As of tomorrow I will have been sober for a month!

@jazzfish - I thought sobriety was just not drinking. Turns out, it was not (for me at least). I've mentioned before that I was 9 months sober in order to get my degree. That 9 months was that - just being sober. I knew I couldn't drink, else I'd mess up all hopes for a degree, but I wanted to drink more and more as the time went on. At some point I got used to not drinking, but it wasn't sobriety, because I was still itching to get the school thing over with so I could celebrate with booze. And as a testament to that thought process, on the day I graduated and also secured a scholarship for graduate studies, all bets were off. Even now, I don't view that time period as sobriety, but as not drinking, because I wasn't actively trying to improve anything - I just wasn't drinking.
This time around I am active about my sobriety and I think this is why I feel this certain calm. The big difference was finding SR.

From my experience, I'd say there's a big difference between sobriety and not drinking. While both versions obviously bring positive benefits for problem drinkers, sobriety seems more ... resilient?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Day 1 here.
I let everything pile up and get to me last night. Long, boring, cold stressful day. Cravings on and off all day that I did not address appropriately!
Then I purposely said out loud "Boy! I sure could go for some Corona Lights with Limes!"
ZIP. Guess who's out the door almost instantly?! Dear husband.

Now what I need to do is figure out how not to let that happen again.
Every time I had a craving yesterday or thought of beer I just let my mind wander about how fun it is.
What I NEED to do is counter back with "Alcohol is the enemy, not your friend. Alcohol is poison, don't poison your body,etc."

I am going to have to have another talk with hubs Arctic. about this. He is looking for the first sign of me wanting to drink and POUNCING on it.
Because he misses it.
And me this morning cranky with a headache, do not miss it.
It's ok Arctic. We all fall at least a few times. It's easy to do. Especially if there's an outside influence. I think you should talk to your husband again. It can't hurt. It would definitely make your struggle easier if you could get him on board.

Perhaps you need a new strategy? Come up with a different way of presenting your problem? In any case, I think that eventually he'll come around. Just keep trying. Good luck to you!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by kkik5 View Post
Well. It is day 31 for me As of tomorrow I will have been sober for a month!

@jazzfish - I thought sobriety was just not drinking. Turns out, it was not (for me at least). I've mentioned before that I was 9 months sober in order to get my degree. That 9 months was that - just being sober. I knew I couldn't drink, else I'd mess up all hopes for a degree, but I wanted to drink more and more as the time went on. At some point I got used to not drinking, but it wasn't sobriety, because I was still itching to get the school thing over with so I could celebrate with booze. And as a testament to that thought process, on the day I graduated and also secured a scholarship for graduate studies, all bets were off. Even now, I don't view that time period as sobriety, but as not drinking, because I wasn't actively trying to improve anything - I just wasn't drinking.
This time around I am active about my sobriety and I think this is why I feel this certain calm. The big difference was finding SR.

From my experience, I'd say there's a big difference between sobriety and not drinking. While both versions obviously bring positive benefits for problem drinkers, sobriety seems more ... resilient?
I have to agree with this sentiment. I feel like that's where I'm at right now. I haven't really entered into sobriety so much as just not drinking. For now, I'll continue to count each day as a victory. We'll all get there one day. It just takes time and A LOT of hard work and perseverance.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad you made it Spirit.

Sounds like one of my early days when I walked all the way to the liquor store, bought a bottle...and dumped it in a roadside bin on the way home.

Something shifted in me after that. I hope it will for you too
Well Dee, I hope so too. This constant struggle is ridiculously difficult and taxing. I will say this, during these past 24 days I've had multiple opportunities to drink and each time I've said no. Somehow it seems easier to say no when someone else offers a drink versus when it's just AV and I. Is that something you experienced?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats to all the Marchers on a milestones
Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Administrator

I actually stayed away from drink offering scenarios for quite a while, Spirit.
The first 30 days were rough with cravings but it got better from then....

the bottle buying incident was about 70 days I think, but that was a perfect storm of a day....

D
Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

two full days for me

tired and headachey but no more so then I was being hungover
Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

also had a better sleep

I keep the fan on pretty high to combat the night sweats
Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Artic- Can I just say your husband sounds a lot like mine. If I even mention drinking he is like out the door getting the vodka and whiskey. Well he WAS like that a few weeks ago. I think he finally has hit that point where is tired of seeing me suffer so we have an agreement that if I mention alcohol he wont just give in our jump at the chance to drink like he used to. I hope he sticks to that. Not because I hold him accountable for my actions but because I need him to do that for me so I don't go messing stuff up again. I have to get my life right! Good luck girl!
Yes! But it is so complicated. I'm partly to blame too. In the past during one of the several(36?) times I've tried to cut down I have told him "Now honey, even if I say I want beer, don't get me any!" and then one night I would seriously, really want beer and he would say "Nope, you said you didn't want any"
and I would get PISSED and storm around the house and pout and throw silent tantrums until he or I gave in and went and got some.
It's been awhile since I had that talk with him.
I did make a point of telling yesterday how crummy is was to wake up with a headache neckache that lasted all day and my sadness at lack of motivation and he just showed sympathy and didn't even make a rude remark.
Also when a commercial came on with people on the beach drinking, of all things, ice cold coronas with limes I said "Yeah! Headaches in a bottle!" in disgust.
This poor man, it's like Jekyll and Hyde with me and my attitude towards alcohol. Really hate it, or really love it.
I don't know where to go with it really, what kind of talk I would even have. Seems like we've had them all before at one point and they led nowhere in the end.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
I have to agree with this sentiment. I feel like that's where I'm at right now. I haven't really entered into sobriety so much as just not drinking. For now, I'll continue to count each day as a victory. We'll all get there one day. It just takes time and A LOT of hard work and perseverance.
Thanks Spirit and KKIK5. For me, it will definitely take more than just not drinking, although, the just not drinking part is still the foundation. I'm looking to achieve a degree of comfort in sobriety, not an eternally uncomfortable existence as a 4 year old whose favorite toy was taken away.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Thanks Spirit and KKIK5. For me, it will definitely take more than just not drinking, although, the just not drinking part is still the foundation. I'm looking to achieve a degree of comfort in sobriety, not an eternally uncomfortable existence as a 4 year old whose favorite toy was taken away.
Yeah, no matter the reason for staying away from booze, that still is the foundation for sure. I got over my anger with that longer sting I described. After that, although everything else remained the same, meaning blackouts, dumb texts, massive hangovers and tons of anxiety, but I wasn't an angry drunk anymore. Lol, guess I wasn't 'angry at the world' anymore after that - just a drunken fool.

Angry drunk = being an ass to people in this scenario, not violent or anything. That's the worst thing about alcohol for me, that even though we use it as an escape, it very soon becomes far more horrible than what we were initially trying to guard ourselves from - somehow (and that's sad) it takes a lot of time for that understanding to set in.

That for me was when at some point I was constantly contemplating moving away from everyone I knew, to some big city in a foreign country, so I could be anonymous. Messed up part is it would have been 1) to try a fresh start but 2) if that didn't work, no one would care I was drinking
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say a quick hello & hope everyone's having a good day!

Day 16!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sisterbobby View Post
i have been reading and trying to catch up on this march thread and there are a lot of people here. Hello all! i initially joined in january, made it 69 days and then one night I finished off a bottle of vodka i found (AH hidden bottle) in garage, cleaning not hunting. So today is day 6 for me. I have had many day 6's, you see, i am a binge drinker. I was never a daily drinker, more like a weekender. Maybe 2 or 3 times a month, i would buy a bottle of Gin and drink till i would drop. The hangovers would last 24 hours or more and it would put me in a lonely depressed state. I read that drinking destroys/stops the production of the natural feel good hormone (serotonin) in the body. Alcohol is a depressant so sound logical to me. I tried eating a high serotonin diet to help counteract the alcohol, i'm no chemist but did not work. And how could I ask my doctor to test my serotonin levels in my blood and then have it tested again in a few months later. I have a cool primary care dr., but can they even test for serotonin levels in your blood. So I have decided to stop drinking completely for my health, my children (grown), and for me...Depression is kicking my butt. well anyway, today is day 6 again...
Welcome Sisterbobby and congratulations on day 6! I am very similar to you in that I am/was a binge drinker, as well. Over time it got to the point where I was bingeing every other day, and drunk more often than sober. Over the past year, I've had many relapses after periods of sobriety but I don't remember myself ever being particularly happy and I think it's because of what you were saying regarding our bodies not producing serotonin naturally.

I know that if I don't make a permanent change, I'll never be truly happy again only artificially happy and even that would only be on occasion so we are in this together! I've read a lot of Dee's posts and others on SR who have been sober for years and I know it's hard to read emotion from an Internet post, but they seem genuinely happy and content with life. I want that too this time.

I read somewhere that people who suffer from migraines experience slight euphoria after the pain subsides. I also read that after an extended period of time when encountering a loud noise, once the noise stops people feel this sense of relief and happiness. Neither of these are happiness or relief, but rather an absence of pain which can be perceived as happiness.

I feel that's what alcohol has been in my life. It's almost as if I would drink to quiet the noise of the AV, which made me feel a sense of relief and happiness. I'm starting to realize alcohol itself is the 'noise' or 'migraine' so to speak, and by removing it from my life completely, I might not have a feeling of euphoria but I will be free of all pain and discomfort it brings.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

day 7
My husband and i met in a bar of all places. At that time, I was in school, working nights and a single mom with two young kids. Looking back he drank every night.
My husband is a narcissus, he was a shining gem in the beginning, everyone loved him, he helped me with my kids, bills, helped put food on the table. He did run off MY friends but he reassured me it was for my own good. That was about 20 years ago. He still drinks every night and still very much a narcissus.
Yes, it is very difficult to live in the same house with an active drinker, but I can not blame him if i drink. I can not control him but I do have total control over my actions. Sure, the last time i flubbed was with one of his bottles i found in the garage, but that is about as far as i can play the horrible blame game.
If i asked him to go buy a bottle of gin for me, he would ride off on his chariot full of chivalry and be back in a lickity split. He would be the knight of all knights.
He would love for me to start drinking again, things could maybe go back to normalcy for him.
The hardest chore of sobriety for me is to let go of my anger towards him. He is a manipulative control freak and I have no control over him. i have nearly contorted to having no contact with him to enable me to untangle his invisible ties (duct tape)he has wrapped around me in the 20 years of knowing him.

Life is hard but it is worth living. I will stop my binge drinking.
7 days today.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
I know that if I don't make a permanent change, I'll never be truly happy again only artificially happy and even that would only be on occasion so we are in this together! I've read a lot of Dee's posts and others on SR who have been sober for years and I know it's hard to read emotion from an Internet post, but they seem genuinely happy and content with life. I want that too this time..

Me too!

I know in the long run, i may have to do some major changes, but for now, I need to concentrate on me.