View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
SpiritOfDjinn
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by kkik5 View Post
Well. It is day 31 for me As of tomorrow I will have been sober for a month!

@jazzfish - I thought sobriety was just not drinking. Turns out, it was not (for me at least). I've mentioned before that I was 9 months sober in order to get my degree. That 9 months was that - just being sober. I knew I couldn't drink, else I'd mess up all hopes for a degree, but I wanted to drink more and more as the time went on. At some point I got used to not drinking, but it wasn't sobriety, because I was still itching to get the school thing over with so I could celebrate with booze. And as a testament to that thought process, on the day I graduated and also secured a scholarship for graduate studies, all bets were off. Even now, I don't view that time period as sobriety, but as not drinking, because I wasn't actively trying to improve anything - I just wasn't drinking.
This time around I am active about my sobriety and I think this is why I feel this certain calm. The big difference was finding SR.

From my experience, I'd say there's a big difference between sobriety and not drinking. While both versions obviously bring positive benefits for problem drinkers, sobriety seems more ... resilient?
I have to agree with this sentiment. I feel like that's where I'm at right now. I haven't really entered into sobriety so much as just not drinking. For now, I'll continue to count each day as a victory. We'll all get there one day. It just takes time and A LOT of hard work and perseverance.