Notices

Class of March 2015 Part 2

Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EHoll1421 View Post
I have that same problem now. Every day at 438am im wide awake. I'd much rather be up then due to sobriety than up being sick.

True EHoll, it just that it makes me so tired by late afternoon and evening that I feel it weakens my resolve.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretary View Post
Thanks for asking Spirit. Hubby and I have always lived independently, so while it is driving more of a wedge in our relationship, we've never had the greatest marriage anyway. I feel like I'm fighting for my life here, so if he chooses not to support, well, that's his loss.

I know I shouldn't cast blame, as it was my choice for falling in love with vodka, but I didn't drink for the first 15 years of our marriage, while he was always a big drinker. I think when the kids moved out I just started drinking along with him, to sort of be on the same plane as he was.

Yadda yadda yadda, sorry for carrying on.
Ah, hard questions from Arctic and Djinn. Necessary ones. I could probably go on for pages!

My husband has been a blackout drinker for at least 15 years -- so I went through the get-him-to-stop-drinking phase years ago, before I got stuck in my own problem. I was heartbroken. Over time, I learned that I am powerless over his choices.

Several years ago, we stopped talking in the evenings because he wouldn't remember the conversations the next morning. I felt like I was living with two husbands: the sober one of the morning and the drunk one of the evening. I spent more and more time upstairs, him drinking downstairs in front of the TV. We started to live a VERY divided life.

So much so that he doesn't know that I'm now dealing with my own alcohol problem. He has no idea that I was getting drunk in the morning, to deal with daily anxiety, after he would leave for work. (Well, maybe he does, surely my breath reeked of wine on weekend mornings.) He knew I drank before doing public presentations -- he has seen me slurring drunk in public -- but he has no idea the extent of my problem. SR is the only support I have.

Sorry for the long post. I could go on and on and on.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
How do we plan on getting through that though? I don't want to be on a different level than my husband ever. Are you hoping he quits soon? Or do you plan on dealing with it?
I wish I had a positive working strategy! Alas and alack. Right now I'm working on getting to know him again, through my sober eyes. The problem is I'm only getting to know his drunk version. Does that make sense? He's a big drinker -- and he only talks/opens up when he's half-cocked. I've realized over the last couple of weeks that we actually have little to say to each other when we're both sober. It's a sad situation and I don't want to give up on us. But that thinking is getting ahead of where I need to be. I need to stay focused on staying sober -- for me.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
To Arctic, Nik, and secretary: I have a question. How do you deal with your SO's continuing to drink while you are trying to recover? Doesn't that just exponentially increase the difficulty for you? I myself am very lucky in that my wife rarely drinks at all so unless I buy booze, there's none in the house.

Also, and this may be a bit personal so feel free not to answer but, doesn't seeing them like that hurt your heart? Does it drive a wedge into your relationships? I'm just concerned that perhaps they can't really provide you much support when they themselves are still achieving obliteration...

Please forgive me if I've crossed a boundary. I meant no harm.
No harm. It does increase the difficulty, in fact, I'm sure it contributed to my last relapses, but I don't know what my other option is, can't get rid of THAT temptation! lol He is not an alcoholic, so it doesn't hurt me. Maybe it should hurt that he won't stop for me, but he doesn't really understand that he should because he doesn't understand my addiction. He still doesn't think I have a problem. Like Niktes, for now I am just on my own.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
I cant believe I am typing this. I FAILED. Day 1 again. I feel stupid for even posting here. Everyone is doing so well and I just cant seem to shake this. I feel so ill today. I was so dumb I went to a bar last night. This is getting out of control. I haven't done the bar thing in a long time, so I know I HAVE TO STOP.
Don't ever feel stupid for posting here! Be proud you came back and posted here. You still have this! You still have the desire and will, you get stronger each time and learn something new each time! Congrats on Day one. Tomorrow will be day 2. See you tomorrow!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

2 weeks today.
Very happy with that. I am still in the stage where alcohol sounds awful because of my raw stomach and I can not imagine pouring 7 bottles of beer down my throat, it feels like poisoning myself, well it is. Not looking forward to the near future when I will lost that memory and it will all look shiny and fun and happy and exciting to drink. -_-
Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

2 weeks today.
Very happy with that. I am still in the stage where alcohol sounds awful because of my raw stomach and I can not imagine pouring 7 bottles of beer down my throat, it feels like poisoning myself, well it is. Not looking forward to the near future when I will lost that memory and it will all look shiny and fun and happy and exciting to drink. -_-

Congrats ArcticSA - great job on 2 weeks. I feel that way with vodka, it must have been doing quite a number on my throat and stomach. Hopefully no long term damage (fingers crossed).
Old 03-16-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NikTes View Post
Ah, hard questions from Arctic and Djinn.

Several years ago, we stopped talking in the evenings because he wouldn't remember the conversations the next morning. I felt like I was living with two husbands: the sober one of the morning and the drunk one of the evening. I spent more and more time upstairs, him drinking downstairs in front of the TV. We started to live a VERY divided life.

Exact same situation here NikTes.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

I'd like to hop on the March train.

I didn't fair too well in February, but now I have a new understanding of this addiction and what I'm in store for
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, sobercousin!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by NikTes View Post

Ah, hard questions from Arctic and Djinn. Necessary ones. I could probably go on for pages!

My husband has been a blackout drinker for at least 15 years -- so I went through the get-him-to-stop-drinking phase years ago, before I got stuck in my own problem. I was heartbroken. Over time, I learned that I am powerless over his choices.

So much so that he doesn't know that I'm now dealing with my own alcohol problem. He has no idea that I was getting drunk in the morning, to deal with daily anxiety, after he would leave for work. (Well, maybe he does, surely my breath reeked of wine on weekend mornings.) He knew I drank before doing public presentations -- he has seen me slurring drunk in public -- but he has no idea the extent of my problem. SR is the only support I have.

Sorry for the long post. I could go on and on and on.
Wow Nik, I'm sorry to hear all that. I can only imagine how hard things are for you right now.

I myself was the two-faced husband in my relationship. Nice, sober, and kind during the day; stupid, stumbling, jackass at night. I know for sure that it's wrought havoc in my household and strained my relationships with all of my kids and my wife. I wonder, does your SO know that this is how you see things? In terms of the double life?

At any rate, at least you have a clear head and can see things for what they are. I hope this will aid you in finding the way ahead. Good luck to you and any time you need us, we will all be here.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

No harm. It does increase the difficulty, in fact, I'm sure it contributed to my last relapses, but I don't know what my other option is, can't get rid of THAT temptation! lol He is not an alcoholic, so it doesn't hurt me. Maybe it should hurt that he won't stop for me, but he doesn't really understand that he should because he doesn't understand my addiction. He still doesn't think I have a problem. Like Niktes, for now I am just on my own.
Ah, I get it. Since he has control of himself and his drinking, he can't see that you have a problem. Makes perfect sense. I believe though that as things progress he will come to understand what's truly going on. Once the rose colored glasses come off. Have you sat him down and told him outright, "I am an alcoholic. I cannot drink, whatsoever."?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Anyone else here dealing with phantom hangovers? I got up this morning feeling like crap with skin draped over it. Went for a run and that amplified it somehow O.o...

On the plus side, the sun is shining and I'm nine days sober!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
Anyone else here dealing with phantom hangovers? I got up this morning feeling like crap with skin draped over it. Went for a run and that amplified it somehow O.o... On the plus side, the sun is shining and I'm nine days sober!
I have been feeling like that all week. From my experience last year, the hangover feeling started to go away after a month or so. I thought it might be from my body trying to recover from the lack of alcohol and from any damage the excessive drinking caused. Good for you going for a run and taking care of your body!

Day 8 for me today. Yesterday I was in a bit of a mood - I felt the temptation so I was reading all of everyone's advice on here and poured out the last few beers I had tucked away in the pantry. I feel MUCH better today, though! One day at a time, right? Have a great day everybody!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sobercousin

D
Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Wow am I forgetful! Been so busy I almost forgot. Welcome back Dee! Good to see that you're feeling better.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post

I have been feeling like that all week. From my experience last year, the hangover feeling started to go away after a month or so. I thought it might be from my body trying to recover from the lack of alcohol and from any damage the excessive drinking caused. Good for you going for a run and taking care of your body!

Day 8 for me today. Yesterday I was in a bit of a mood - I felt the temptation so I was reading all of everyone's advice on here and poured out the last few beers I had tucked away in the pantry. I feel MUCH better today, though! One day at a time, right? Have a great day everybody!
Yup. One day at a time. I'm impressed that you were able to dispose of those beers. I've never had the self control for that. To not go and buy any alcohol is one thing but if it's staring me in the face, I usually cave. Haven't been tested in that way since I started this round of sobriety. Here's hoping that if I am, I'll show the same willpower you did.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Spirit of Djinn

D
Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Day 2. Man I think day 2 is always the worst for me. Not because I want to drink, but because the anxiety is overwhelming. I beat myself up all day. I am just sitting here realizing how behind I am in life and it probably has a whole lot to do with having been a drunk for all these years. I want to get this under control so I can get a gripe on my future. I think I need to go post in the mental health section, as I feel I am losing it lately.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Don't ever feel stupid for posting here! Be proud you came back and posted here. You still have this! You still have the desire and will, you get stronger each time and learn something new each time! Congrats on Day one. Tomorrow will be day 2. See you tomorrow!
Thank you so much Artic! Congrats on so many sober days.