Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 7

Old 02-12-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hi Brain. You and Zero are in stiff competition in the trauma arena. No, we don't have six feet of snow here in Northern Virginia. I was referring to the poor souls in Boston and Maine. We've had almost nothing here.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

the drama llama train? Agree on that, TL. Slow and steady.
Out of touch with the stars, so I had to google Dita. etc...Always feels good to get a compliment. I was told by a young woman a few years ago that I looked like Harrison Ford! Love it! Wish. We all imagine what each other kind of looks like in this virtual group. I'll listen to my local radio people for years, then am shocked at how the actual face compares to my imagined one. I guess we have to honour our imaginations! They do a lot of hard, good work sometimes.
Watch good movies, Z, while you're kind of immobile. There's some good foreign stuff I've loved on Netflix.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

no , zero is hands down above me in the pain and discomfort department.

when the doc reviewed my mri back in sept he said I could pay the 40 co-pay a couple times a week for therapy or I could do it on my own. I didn't know it was going to be a full time thing - I've read that this just "goes away" by itself over time. But I suppose new movement or positioning may aggravate it. I know when I tried to strum the guitar I could barely hold it properly... I'll live... just need to get back in gear, I don't use the bands like I should , guess it's time to be serious again
Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Why is my avatar misleading, zero? I have had it for a long time!

LBrain - I arrive in NYC on the 25th. My schedule from there us uncertain and weather dependent. My friend from Philly and I would like to take a road trip but we'll just see how it pans out :-)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Jack - being a Harrison Forde lookalike is great! The only thing Dita and I have in common is black hair and I occasionally wear red lipstick because it stops people asking me if I'm tired lol :-)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

My movie recommendations are anything that was shown in the Spanish Malaga film festivals. I also try and see the highlights of the Cannes festival especially the foreign language entries. Also, one day I'll watch all the Coen Bros films in sequential order. Well, not in one day, but one day. You know what I mean.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Steve Strange from Visage has passed away :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPC8QJF6sI
Old 02-13-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
waking down

Tiger, it's just that your umbrella girl doesn't look much like Dita.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I take it then you are fan of The Big Lebowski TL? I like everything the Coen bros did.

Good luck on your travels. When my wife flew into JFK a couple years back there was a real bad wind/rain storm. I went to JFK to meet her only to find her flight was diverted to Dulles - Washington DC! What a night! Make sure your friend has flight tracker app and gets flight updates from carrier on their phone. If it is stormy in NYC - or forecast for bad storms, be prepared to be sent to another airport - usually Dulles, possible but rarely PHL. A road trip in winter here... hope for good weather.
They do a damn fine job of handling snow in new york, but wind and blizzard conditions - they send you away.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
waking down

"I thought you was a toad."
Old 02-13-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

My daughter spoke in the Fargo accent for some time after that Coen film. She nailed it. Steve Buscemi was so good in the Fargo role. Then Boardwalk Empire. We love the Coens' work. They never really mess up. Heard an alumnus of the early days of Saturday night live talking about her experience, 40th anniversary coming up, and the subsequent development of the show. She thought it was important, and really worked, when they nailed the zietgeist. I think the Coens usually nail the zeitgeist.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Tiger, it's just that your umbrella girl doesn't look much like Dita.
Neither do I

The poor, blind man leaves for Europe in two weeks so we'll try and squeeze in one more date before we both leave. It just now occurs to me that he drinks quite a lot even though he doesn't seem 'messy' drunk to me. Hmmm.

Anyway happy Valentine's Day from Down Under everyone!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

TL, I drank quite a lot and didn't come across as a messy drunk. Perhaps that is why many of the people I knew were in denial for me. I was able to present a reasonably 'normal' persona most of the time as I gained experience.

Dr appt this morning. It's close to zero outside but it's going to warm up to around 30 today with a few inches of snow. Yesterday all I saw was brine marks on almost every major road. Nothing like having that 'white' coating on tires and car body.

Oh yeah, happy v-day. Wife and I are going out to dinner tonight. Then she goes to work
Her manager told her that they are going to request an additional RN position, and if they get the billet the job will be hers when she finishes school and takes test. I hope it happens. It's great to have a job waiting.

One other thing - pain in my hip is almost gone. I had to press hard to feel it. Things like this would have lingered a bit longer when I was into heavy drinking all the time. I had a lot more aches and pains while I was drinking.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
waking down

Good to hear you're healing. Beautiful day today and actually got out in the yard and shuffled around with the dogs in the sun. Then went to bed and napped in my sunspot. I think I've snapped. Sitting here watching Lawrence Welk. Moving slow.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Good to hear you're healing. Beautiful day today and actually got out in the yard and shuffled around with the dogs in the sun. Then went to bed and napped in my sunspot. I think I've snapped. Sitting here watching Lawrence Welk. Moving slow.
OMG! Lawrence Welk?! Say it ain't so Zero!! Glad everyone is on the mend. 13 degrees here in Northern Virginia with 6p mph gusts and win chill below zero.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
waking down

Ha! True confession: I watch Lawrence Welk sometimes if I'm bored and stumble upon it. Reminds me of my mom before she got depressed and alcohol and painkillers robbed her of her spark. She knew the words to all the old standards. When I was little we used to waltz around the living room and she would SING! Good times. Of course, she was having her evening coctails even then, but she was still fun. One main reason I quit drinking is I recognized her in myself. I stopped drinking for fun but out of anger and disappointment. This story also sheds light on my apprehension about opioids.

Which, by the way, is coming along. Five days out of surgery yesterday I had the waterproof seal removed. Steristrips stay on and looks healthy enough other than some evidence of bleeding. And I started cutting back on Percocet. I had been taking 2 pills every five hours and needed them. Yesterday, I managed with one pill every five hours, except by my 5pm dose I needed two. Still taking muscles relaxants as prescribed. Having spasms and random numbness. I'm told this is to be expected due to nerves having been set free after having been impinged. Cut back on the oxy, as well. They wanted me to take it between percocet doses, but I've only done this as needed, and I haven't taken one since yesterday afternoon. If today goes well I'm gonna switch to Tramadol tomorrow and Tylenol tomorrow and see how long it takes me to get down to just Tylenol.

Interestingly, since Thursday my wife has been out of town and I've been nursed by my sister and her husband who are both addicted to painkillers and alcohol. So... Grareful for their help but evenings get progressively annoying. No evidence they're helling themselves to my meds. On the contrary, they brought a stash of norco and liquid vivadin in case I run low. They think I was crazy to not request a second week of opioids, but my week's supply should last more like ten days at this rate, anyway. Ironically, their presence, rather than creating any desire to est more drugs than absolutely necessary, has served to reinforce my plan to get clean asap. Users can be mighty negative, but I brought my psychic mascetti, so I'm safe. It is what it is.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

glad to hear you are getting along zero, and yes, I too used to watch Lawrence Welk show - just a couple years ago. Musical talent is musical talent. I was also a big hee-haw fan. I can 'watch' the symphony on PBS - same place I caught LW.
"And now, Sissy and Bobby will do another number for us..." Have to know it to appreciate it.

Anyway, it's very windy and cold here.

Zero, your comment about seeing them reinforces your desire to stay sober. It wasn't until I went to a bar and saw drunks that I finally realized that being sober sure beats that behavior any day. What did we do to ourselves all those years?
A shame I wasted so many years...
Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
waking down

Sounds like you're getting beyond the cravings. I really have no desire to go back to alcohol. Even when I perform in bars or go to shows I don't have any desire. I hate to think of it as all wasted time, because here was a lot of fun involved. But when I'm healthy enough the fun is there without alcohol. Of course, now I only go to bars for music. If I want to talk and socialize I would prefer beaneries (though now I'm even off caffeine).
Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Have to admit that I grew up watching LW with my parents. I liked some of the music - especially when they had Pete Fountain. What really got me through it though was the fact that I had the hots for the Lennon sisters.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
waking down

Oh, you've found me out. I watch it for the babes.