Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 7

Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
waking down

If you have six minutes you should check this out: Patti Smith's Advice About What Really Matters In Life Will Give You Chills
Old 02-07-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Patti is a smart gal no doubt.
It may take another ten or more years before 'society' figures out how to 'use' the internet...
hope you are feeling better zero...
I woke and washed my hands to practice mando first thing... had a dream about playing last night - I need to practice haha...
I'm learning to clean my hands now before I pick it up... a delicate little piece of art

oh I recall you asking if it was a "crossover", interesting breedlove marketed a mando as the crossover, 1 3/16 nut on this, many are now being made with the wider nut, I noticed the diff when I picked up my friend's eastman - barely noticeable but it's there
Old 02-07-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this Zero. Seems like. I spent a lifetime doing everything except what Patty said. I'll just start from here.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well-said. I've been lucky enough to know how to smell the flowers much of my adult life. Maybe a bit too much flower-smelling, actually. I like the idea of choosing to do something that's important to you, and staying with it regardless of status or success in conventional terms, or even in spite of success in conventional terms. Interesting parallel on the Humans of New York site yesterday. Obama gives the same kind of advice. A few weeks ago, the HONY guy asked a young black kid who was most influential in his life, and his answer (school principal) started a wonderful string of photo/interviews on adversity, self confidence, human spirit.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
waking down

Yeah, I saw a blurb about that kid saying the thing that makes him the most proud is getting publicity for his school. Pretty sweet.

I noticed Smith slipped in a comment about staying clean. Not preachy, just one more thing.

One thing that stung was the passion piece. Had I really pursued my passion I would have tried music, or maybe academics. I was in some bands in college. I couldn't play well at the time, but I had a voice, so I usually did hand percussion or some rhythm guitar and sang. Our band started getting gigs, and then they booked some shows out of town. I declined because I was a serious student. They did that tour without me and then it fell apart. And they fell apart. Heavy drug scene. So maybe it was good I declined in that case.

When I was getting started on my honors thesis as an undergrad, my mentor went on sabbatical and the one I was assigned rubbed me the wrong way. I used that as an excuse to blow it off. In reality, I just wanted to party and go to Dead shows. That changed course for me. As much fun as I've had going to shows and being hedonistic, it was a choice that pulled me away from a life that would have been very different, and possibly more fulfilling.

I think it was lack of confidence and fear of failure. Rather than taking the risks I chose to just get a job, really. It was a potentially meaningful profession, but it didn't turn out that way. Not meaningful enough, anyway. Not yet. Maybe after I heal it will be time to stick my neck out.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good observation JR. I saw the HONY piece and string of stories on hoe that principal had impacted her students' lives. There are good things happening on this suffering planet.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Me too, Zero. Hard to revisit choices taken badly. Such is life, I figure. How many of us get to an age where we look back and celebrate the whole journey? You seem to have landed on your feet. And have a pretty clear vision past and into the present. Insightful, and generous. Maybe need to be bit more generous with yourself? It's funny: but I've been having dreams for the past few years in which I can't seem to find my next class at university. I find my old room. long abandoned. My key still works. Still the same stuff in the little room. But can't remember where I'm going. Usually foggy outside. Except, of course, I am very late. Ha! Jung, where are you when I need you?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I never followed my dreams... But I have lived several different lives. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have lived the ozzie and harriet lifestyle forever - then die...
Looking at it from an outside perspective it seems to be just an incredibly boring existence. I suppose it's who we've been that makes us what we are.
My dream of being a singer and doing broadway many years ago...
It didn't help that my parents were f'd up and I had 3 handicapped older bros, I basically raised myself and was a very frightened child for a very long time.
I have 35 years left to find myself.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Most of us have stories of broken dreams, Brain. I believe that, to some extent, we are trying to find ourselves until the day we die. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Life is a journey.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Here's a link to a great read for the musicians and music lovers: Bob Dylan's speech at the Grammys.
Grammys 2015: Transcript of Bob Dylan's MusiCares Person of Year speech - LA Times
Old 02-08-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
waking down

Bob sure addresses the critics that say he's a plagiarizer. Everybody is.

Broken dreams, fog, confusion. I still have dreams that I'm in college and it's finals week and I realize I had signed up for a class I forgot to attend.

And the future. Gotta believe there's a future. And when I get past this current struggle. When I can sit and walk and function. I feel a sense of urgency all of a sudden. What will I do differently?

I don't want to **** people off, but if I'm gonna follow my passion I think I'm gonna have to. Or more accurately, I'm gonna say what needs to be said and if that divides people or makes them uncomfortable then so be it.

Probably sounds weird out of context, but I've spend far too long trying to keep from making waves and it's gotten me nowhere. I learned that from my mom. Don't upset your father. Just do what he tells you.

I'm due for a second adolescence, I suppose.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Same college dream here: I'm heading for an exam in a course for which I've done absolutely no reading and have attended no classes. Understandably, I am having a lot of difficulty finding the exam room, which is worrying me, since I hate being late.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Jack, Zero: I've been reading your posts regarding dreams about college courses you never attended. I had the same dream several times. However, it hasn't returned in a long time. I wonder what it meant.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
waking down

Anxiety. Pure and simple from what I can tell. And maybe fear of being found out as a fraud or incompetent. I have similar dreams where I'm backstage ready to perform in a play while knowing full well that I haven't even memorized my lines.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Smile

Gee, glad I asked! I feel better already!!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I guess it's one of the benefits of living a longer life. You have insights, as you age. Experience changes you, if you are open to change and can adjust the way you think about things, and the way you act. Growth. I like the whole concept of growth. I taste it now and again. Decline it more than I should.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

speaking of dreams, I had one last night - I was alone in a gymnasium/basketball court. I changed into sneakers and just started fooling around by myself, practicing stuff late at night.
As the dream progressed more and more people started showing up. Then a coach shows up and I realize I am at a tryout for the team - the incumbents are there too, in a uniform. People were complaining that they didn't know the time was rescheduled for tryouts. I said I didn't even know there were tryouts at all. Then there's talk that they would have won if I was on the team, then we start seeing guys who should be on the team, then we have to line up. I take my time and casually walk until I am last one in the line - it goes around the court - and I look at one of the coaches and announce I am on the line sir - he was one of the instructors from 30 years later in an academic institution. Then I woke up.

Have a good week.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Just got a call from nurse, psa good, testosterone good, all other blood results good, cholesterol, 201 total, 56 and 121, triglycerides 146,
liver function right down the middle.

I think I tried like heck to sabotage my cholesterol over the past few months - who knows if I had taken better care of myself. - I got work to do, but I see the doc on Sat for check up and will get the real story. I also understand that the USA is the outlier in the this all is reported.
WE ARE SO AWESOME! USA! USA! USA!

If Canada and Mexico changed places I'd sneak across the border and stay.
Need warm weather...
Old 02-09-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
waking down

Brian, our numbers are very similar except my triglycerides are low. I also eat almost no refined foods, though.

Doc says surgery was more complicated than expected and took twice as long - about three hrs. They had to open a second hole inthe bone for access and nerves were embedded in the herniated disc. He thinks he managed to separate them without damage, but I have some numbness and only time will tell. He said I prevented a likely emergency ER visit. I just sat through an entire meal, something I have been unable to do for a month. I can walk and sit and stand pain free. Only pain is at the incision right now, and comfortable on account of heavy drugs. So... Planning on meds ONLY as needed and weaning off asap. I live and breathe and am much relieved. Here's to new beginnings.

Beautiful day. Gonna go stroll in the sun a bit. Yow!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Work on that cholesterol number, LB. Sounds like good news on the operation, Z. Yes, February is a difficult month to kind of leap up in the air and throw the cap up and cheer. But: yes. Why not?