Notices

Class of January 2015 Part 2

Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Yay!!

Originally Posted by Jazzy7777 View Post
Hi, I would like to join the class. After a recent slip I am at the beginning of day 2.
YAY!!! The more the better!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

This is the first time I have joined this community. I have come to accept that I have a problem and I don't think I can do this alone. I am looking for some support in this community. So I suppose today is day one of my journey.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Omg!

It is SO much harder dealing with my idiot business partner
when I am not hung over! Help! But at least I'm getting skinnier
and he's getting fatter. He is funny:

"Oh, I don't drink at all; well, except for two whiskies while
I was watching the game; oh, and we split a bottle of wine with
dinner, but I really don't drink at all any more."

People are funny.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Good Morning.....

Hi 1needhelp.....welcome, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here.

And welcome too to the new people...this is a very good place to be for us all.

Well......Day 15 starting.
It feels very good to be able to tap that out this morning.

A long standing dinner date was finally on for last night. My date, having just ended a first week in a new job was really up for a 'few drinks', I was fully expected to join in....easy to see where this one could go....I'm cooking, so Dee, your suggestion of an escape strategy wasn't really feasible.

No Friday drinks after work so I'm able to drive over and pick her up....still wondering how I'm going to handle this one. Thankfully she didn't get in the car carrying bottles. But I can't insist that she join me on lime and soda all night either...

On the way back to my place I stop at the bottle shop to get her something to drink. A bottle of champagne. Very brut. It was a slightly surreal moment, to be in a bottleshop, buying. She didn't give me too hard a time about not drinking....I stayed on the lime and soda and she got through most of the bottle over several hours. At the end I was able to drive her home.....unreal.

But I do think I was pushing my luck with it....and don't plan to do it again soon, or even make it a regular thing. It's sailing way too close to temptation at this stage.

Actually, being sober in that situation was great....Friday night, yet I was able to drive over and get her.....and drive her back at 1 a.m. Then take myself home without driving around looking for a late night bottleshop so I could kick on etc

Risky behaviour, I know...won't happen again anytime soon. But I'm still here.....
Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Howdy everyone especially all the recent additions Nic233, mspguy, lisa3, jazzy7777, safeandsound and nollaig (nollaig - I used to work in Luxembourg and could usually be found in Scott's Bar during the evening!).

It's 8pm so beer voice very loud right now - just need to make to 10pm or so and then the cravings die down.

Best wishes for weekend
Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

count me in
Old 01-16-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Welcome 1needhelp and welcome - I'm new here as well.

blondsober - that's my SO
Me: "I have to stop drinking and I don't think I'm ever going to be able to drink again"
SO: "You don't drink that much - just some wine every night"
Me: "Yes that's the issue - the every night thing"
SO: "Well you're not drunk"
Me: "yep you're right - I'm still just not going to drink"
Old 01-16-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome ineedhelp
Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi January Classmates,

happy Friday!! I officially have 7 days down and feel great. Thanks for all of yur support this week.

NASHV and TeeBee..I had to laugh out loud! I only but poketbooks which are big with lots of compartments so I can "zip up" my bottles and they can't fall out when I pick up my kids. Then I try to find a garbage can at a public shopping center to throw them out in a bag..or SICK!!!!

welcome Nollaig, Jazzy, Safeandsound and 1needhelp. This is a great place t be and we are all in this together.

I have a semi-busy weekend with obligations and chores but will be with family the whole time. I will check in whenever i can

sober hugs xo
Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Lovely atmosphere here, makes things easier and even more rewarding. Thanks for da warm welcome to us newbies.

Saoutchik, we live in the shticks of Lux, so I'm not often in a pub, hence the damaging drinking at home habit. I don't think I could afford to drink so much in the pubs!

I have been to Scott's Bar once on a team-building exercise - we all played darts, it was fun
Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lisa, Jazzy 1needhelp, Nollaig safeandsound & nevertheluck

I hope everyone has a terrific sober weekend

D
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Smile

well another Friday is here and plan to hit the movies with my SO, been forever since we have done this with out acouple of drinks before and acouple during the movie that we sneak in.... those damn little bottles and me again.... I have been dressed and ready for an hour rattling my nails... I think I spent 30 minutes on my makeup trying to drag time out...I know my husband is trying so hard not to drink around me and I cant wait till that is not an issue....I hate for him to be punished for my problem.. hope everyone has a great night...
Old 01-16-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I took your advices on the cheatmeal kind of all wrapped into one lol. We had pizza. I made a cheesecake (ty dee for the suggestion) then had some lindt (sp) choccie plus served my pepsi in a fancy glass with ice and a straw just to mix it up a bit. It seemed to satisfy AV! Then I um fell asleep for 4 hours on the recliner lmao. Although, I'd prefer to get through my sober weekends... a little more conscious lol I'm just happy to have made it past one of my big triggers (Fridays) without buying a bottle in. Back to snooze land. Have a great night everyone
Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Phew it's 11:15 ish and my cravings have subsided at last - its kind of annoying that all the time booze is easily available i thought about it - after about 11pm when it is harder to buy that is when my cravings ease up - wish it was the other way round!

Nollaig - you're right about those prices in L City - my boss was an expat too and put the tab on his expenses. London is just as bad, everything is unaffordable unless your a Russian oligarch

I need to 'do' some kind of non drink related activity at weekends to keep my mind occupied - I've got loads of jobs to do so maybe i'll take a leaf out of Lovehoops ie getting off my backside do some chores

All the best
Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Friday the 13th! For me - 13th day

I decided to stop at Whole Foods and get some cacao powder, dates, bananas and almond milk for my nutribullet friday night cocktail. It was awesome! Now I'm full and I'm going to get into some pjs, turn on my fireplace and watch a movie with my pooch!

I haven't really had any desire to drink, and weekends were my only problem (i'm sure if I kept going it would have turned into every day...) so I am feeling good so far. But I can understand how it's easy to listen to the AV.

I have a happy hour for work in 3 weeks and I've thought to myself that maybe I will just have one so I don't have to explain myself. And I am sure I would be fine that night. But that will lead into telling myself I can do it another night except that night will be two, and next thing you know I'm back to 6 or 7 or 8 glasses of wine on a Friday night. It's exhausting just thinking about it!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi BunnyLove

For your happy hour thing maybe you could say 'I'm on antibotics' or something similar as a reason for not drinking - not a long term happy hour solution I guess but solves immediate problem

Sounds like you work in nice place at least
Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

a shock

Tonight I said no to a small get-together with our friends because there would be booze flowing freely. But I did drive some people there. Then as I was driving back, I got a phone call from the son of someone I love dearly who has been a second mother to me. Her other son just died of a drug overdose at age 39. I can't even imagine the pain.

I'm very grateful that I was sober on the way home because if I had stayed, it would have been a blackout night for sure, and that wouldn't have done anything to help my friend anyway. I talked to her briefly, and she had just seen him two days before and had no idea his problem was so bad. Apparently he was good at hiding like us alcoholics. This also brings home to me how suddenly life can end when we poison ourselves with substances.

Sad but sober tonight.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for everyone's losses, but very proud of the way we prevail

D
Old 01-16-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Have posted this is a thread but thought I would post here to my gang as I may be needing your support.
Thanks in advance for reading this long rave even though I tried to make it short....

To cut a long story short both myself and my husband are alcoholics although both in different ways. My problem is starting. I like to start drinking everyday. His problem is stopping. He doesn't have an off button most of the time where as I do most of the time.

Over the last year he has a few times verbally abused me when he's had too much. I told him that that wouldn't happen again but of course it did. So I left the relationship.

I have been on sober blogs and trying moderation for a few months and had decided that in Jan this year I was going to do 100 days sober as that all I can commit to at this point.

During the logistics break up conversation (kids & cash) that I asked his mother to be there for he said he would do 100 days with me and get counselling. I wasn't expecting this and gave myself 24 hours to think it all over. I decided that for the sake my family yes I would give this a chance.
He works away for a month and home for a month ( you can imagine what his hobby is when his home) so he started his 100 days when he went to work as he can't drink at work anyway so he does a month sober every second month then makes up for it. I feel like it was cheating a bit him starting his 100 days at work when he does that anyway but whatever.

I am now on day 13 and he comes home in a few days on his day 30. I know he will do these 100 days as he is as stubborn as me (actually because of work training he will only be home with us for 31 of those days) and he wouldn't want to go back to day 1 and start again but Im pretty when that 100 days is up he will be back into it where as I'm pretty sure I will be taking another 100 please. Anyway there is no point thinking about that day now.

I feel nervous about him coming home as I am in my little sober routine with our kids and things are going pretty well. I'm also excited about spending some time being a sober family and know we will learn and experience so many hard and wonderful lessons. I don't really have any point to this post except to outline my (or our) situation. I'm not going to worry about his sobriety, just my own. He know he's on last chance as far a the verbal abuse goes. I would rather be a single mum than put up with that BS!

We will be in new territory though that's for sure as we have drunk together for years and for years way before we met.

We were talking about how we both want to give up smoking and I said I will find giving up smokes harder than booze. He replied well I can imagine a life without cigarettes but not one without booze.

Well I can imagine a life without booze and it looks pretty good.

This is going to be an interesting ride.

--------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a day without any new mistakes in it yet?" Anne of Green Gables.-
Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hi Ting. Interesting how our relationships change when we decide to stop. I'm badly co-dependent and not sure I can stay sober and in my relationship - which very much sucks. But I really want to be sober no matter what. My SO isn't an alcoholic like me but she's very depressed and refuses to go for treatment so had been verbally pretty bad to the kids mostly for some time now and I feel like I just can't protect them any more nor can I take being around the negative and needy energy.

Well sorry to rant myself - I hope you're remaining time with your children is peaceful and happy. I hope that when your Husband comes back he decides as well to stop for good with you and everyone can enjoy the sober family.