Notices

Class of January 2015 Part 2

Old 01-16-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Could I please join this one too?
Welcome!! Glad you are joining our ride!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mspguy View Post
Hi all,

So day 1 for me starts tomorrow. Sorry if that's not appropriate for this forum. But I need to get over this drinking habit, if not for me but for my fiancé. I've made some mistakes tonight and slipped back to a place I regret, but starting tomorrow, I intend on fixing that. I know I'm asking a lot, but if anyone has words of encouragement, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their support. I hope I repay that support to other new members in the future.
You will get nothing but encouragement here!! Glad you made the first step and joined our awesome class!! Welcome
Old 01-16-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Feeling strong and glad it's Friday. Rough week with the kids. Have one who already has senioritis….GRRRRRR. Brilliant child but that doesn't matter when your effort doesn't match your intelligence. Hard to get them to understand that it does matter.
I've had to laugh at my AV. I just shake my head and say WOW, creative idea but NO!!

Every have someone in your life die and then you go to call them one day only to remember that they are gone? I had that experience this morning about not drinking… Thinking about my day and weekend my brain went to what wine to buy for the weekend and I then realized Oh, that's right I don't drink…. strange.

My memory is coming back. I'm recalling names of people, words and ideas that were lost in the alcohol fog. Makes me feel proud and strong. Stay strong my friends and have a blessed day!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Happy weekend to all ... If we can just shut out that creative AV this weekend ... Mine woke me up tapping on my shoulder this morning ... Suppose to be nice outside this weekend and plan to get outside and try to enjoy ! Hugs to all our new comers
Old 01-16-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Day 5, Staying Alive!

Originally Posted by Anewyear View Post
Hi All! Busy day here!
Just settling in with hot tea on the east coast.
Hope everyone had a good day on SR! Day 16 for me tomorrow!
Originally Posted by stayingpositive View Post
Just checking in. I made it to day 16. Yesterday was really difficult for me. I came pretty close to giving up. I went to the store with the idea that I needed something. Was not really sure if I would buy alcohol or not. I wandered around the store for a few minutes before I settled on chocolate.

Thank you Dee for the link. Very helpful.

I really need to work on being able to deal with difficult life situations. I use to get through stressful day by looking forward to my wineoclock. Then I would numb all of the feelings away. Yesterday I just didn't know how to make it through the day without looking forward to the numbing effect. I am going to work one stress relieving strategies. It looks like I will have a lot in my plate for the next few months, but I know drinking will not solve anything.
Dave 5, Staying Alive!

Yes, that numbing effect sure is attractive sometimes.
I made it through a day/night with my teenagers, I think
I can make it through a weekend with in-laws and friends.

Congrats to all and Welcome to the new ones!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

not giving up even though I am struggling. Need to get in the right mindset to conquer this. Not quite there yet
Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teebee View Post
Strange that I haven't really had many cravings but tonight I did. It helped to give the AV voice an image of a sinister wolf-like being possessed by the devil. Dramatic, I know, but it helped.
I LOVE that image of the AV. Sinister is such a good word! I usually think of mine like this

My weakest times are when my SO is not here, so I know what you are facing. But when your sinister AV starts putting bad ideas in your head you can say that you are watching the kids and have to be responsible. Then kick it back to heck, where it belongs!

You can do it!

Last edited by TryTryAgain; 01-16-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Changed for readability.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Day 16 and last night's sleep was the first in months that was NOT interrupted by a whole lot of acid reflux. Maybe that is my body thanking me for laying off of the self-abuse.

Feeling great and so happy to check in and to see everyone else check in!

Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Hi Im new here! To get ready to quit ... I drank lots the last three nights at least a bottle of wine... One night two and feel lousy! In the morning I tell myself that this will be the day and by the time I leave work..I am cruising to the store for another bottle saying I cant do this! But lots on here have so I suppose I can to. So let today be the day I cruise on by that store.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lisa3 View Post
Hi Im new here! To get ready to quit ... I drank lots the last three nights at least a bottle of wine... One night two and feel lousy! In the morning I tell myself that this will be the day and by the time I leave work..I am cruising to the store for another bottle saying I cant do this! But lots on here have so I suppose I can to. So let today be the day I cruise on by that store.
Lisa,

Don't have any money or cards with you on the way home, then you CAN'T buy anything!

You can do this!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,

I was the same way in the morning Iwas like "I feel horrible I'm going to stop this" by noon not too bad and by the end of work thinking about that glass of wine and stopping by the store for a bottle or two and 2 of those mini vodka bottles.

I hate it - hate being tied to the wine store - hate trying to find a place to trow away my mini vodka bottles before I walk into the gym to pick up one of my kids.

Stay strong - maybe wriote yourself a letter in the morning and read it before you leave work...

Stay strong.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day Sixteen

Starting day sixteen now. No real thoughts/urges/cravings to drink yesterday. I'm a bit grouchy right now because my landlord's kids are being VERY loud and I feel I could use another hour's sleep before getting ready for work.

Congratulations to all in the class who made it another day sober and it makes me happy to see more and more newcomers joining us. We should have to start a part 3 of this thread in the next day or so!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I'm been reading lots of encouraging threads here over the last while and I decided to join you in the good work. I stopped on the first and so far, thankfully, it has been fine. Of course, I haven't been tested yet, but I'm glad to get this far without any trouble as before Christmas the thought of a day without my generous glass of wine at the end of the day was nigh impossible. But this recognition that I need to quit has been a long time coming, so now determination is high.

Wine is really my problem, I can't seem to halt the topping up of the glass and then I end up eating too much dinner and/or snacks so I feel doubly bad. So I'm fed up with all that and just want to feel happy in myself. Drink also disturbs my sleep, badly, and I reckon it has made work and studies twice or three times as hard as my concentration levels have been pretty bad. Many great reasons to give up...my follicly challenged hair is another reason. There i am taking hair vitamin tablets for the last 6-9 months and wondering why they're not working! Duh! What chance did they have of been absorbed with all that carry on...and I'm talking about what was often a lot more than one generous glass of wine in the evenings, believe me. It took me a long time to reduce down to that one big glass. Anyway, I digress.

Great to be here, great to take part and hopefully keep taking part. Maybe, like one or two others here, I'm a little reluctant at the moment to think I'll never drink again...I know, call me foolish. But I really do want to give it up for a good 6-12 months and then see how I feel then. A lot healthier by then, I hope...with a lot more hair on my head too! Maybe by then, I won't want to go back on the sauce anyway.

All the best!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Hi, I would like to join the class. After a recent slip I am at the beginning of day 2.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm looking for support coming back from a relapse. My group (Sept 2014) seems to have disappeared. I had almost three months and felt happier than I can ever remember as well as healthier. Then I had a 2-day slip, then drank over Christmas. I thought it would be so easy to quit again, but so far even on days I don't drink, I obsess about it.

The old demon is back. It's like I decided I had a choice again whether to drink or not, whereas before I didn't give myself that choice. I also have some weird issues where I think I don't deserve to feel happy and healthy.

All that aside, yesterday on the heels of a vicious hangover, I decided I no longer want to live this way, constantly debating whether or not to drink. I'm just not going to. I decided that yesterday, and that made the cravings almost nonexistent last night. Today I am also deciding not to drink for today. Not an option.

I want to start over. I miss being sober!!!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Tee Bee

I just about spit my coffee out ... I use to think I was the only one that had to stash the two small bottles that went along with the daily bottle of wine ...... Except mine was FIREBALL🔥....
Glad we are all not alone in this journey !
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

I forgot to say that I've stayed close to SR during this time and found this post so helpful in my decision to quit again. I knew about the AV before, but this sums it up so nicely, and I can really relate to the thoughts the AV tries to trick me with. It helps to think of it as something separate from the healthy, calm, and hopeful me (that is a paraphrase)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Hi. I'm looking for support coming back from a relapse. My group (Sept 2014) seems to have disappeared. I had almost three months and felt happier than I can ever remember as well as healthier. Then I had a 2-day slip, then drank over Christmas. I thought it would be so easy to quit again, but so far even on days I don't drink, I obsess about it. The old demon is back. It's like I decided I had a choice again whether to drink or not, whereas before I didn't give myself that choice. I also have some weird issues where I think I don't deserve to feel happy and healthy. All that aside, yesterday on the heels of a vicious hangover, I decided I no longer want to live this way, constantly debating whether or not to drink. I'm just not going to. I decided that yesterday, and that made the cravings almost nonexistent last night. Today I am also deciding not to drink for today. Not an option. I want to start over. I miss being sober!!!!!
Good to see you again safe!!! I flunked out pretty bad of September. Thanksgiving relapse turned into about 7 more days. Glad to see you!!! We can start fresh together!!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Day 16 and feeling the worst I have felt yet, I know its Friday just been round my friends house who has a huge bottle of red, the smell was delicious instead I had a cuppa and headed home and am now stuffing my face with grapes and turkish delights just to get over the crazy craving!!!! Ergh!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Well done! That's an unusual combo...grapes and Turkish Delights. But I have eaten more grapes in the past week than I have in the past year, and you've just reminded me of an old box of TDs in the kitchen press. Hmmm.

You've just passed a difficult test - congratulations!