Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 42

Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
I've grown more these past 7 months than I ever have the past 5 years trying to stay sober and am so grateful.
Congrats, BF. I am so happy for you and the progress that you see yourself making. For what it is worth, that progress is reflected here in your posts too. Again, congrats, BF!

Funny you should mention about relapse and someone 5 years sober. I was at my usual Tuesday night meeting with many of the regulars last night and a few that come here and there. Our topic was "How Has Your Life Changed Since Getting Sober." There were like 12 of us.

It started with shares that were highlighting the many bad character flaws we exhibit in active addiction and how much more plesant and peaceful life is becoming. All of a sudden a young couple shows that hasn't been there in a while. The man is obviously buzzing on some sort of downer drug as he shares right away. Some incoherent share about how he owns a car and house because he is sober now...totally slurring his words with cookie crumbs flying out of his mouth.. He had made a ruckus while getting a coffee and like 6 cookies when he walked in too.

A minute or so after he shares he falls asleep with a full cup of coffee in hand and spills it all over the floor. Then for the rest of the meeting he is stumbling back and forth from the kitchen getting towels to clean up the mess. It was sad, very sad.

His partner shares soon after and she admits she relapsed within the past couple weeks after 11 months sober. She is sobbing throughout and filled with remorse and guilt and on the verge of loosing her children. He tries to comfort her and she softly pushes him away...hopefully a sign of things to follow. He says, "F U, I was only trying to comfort you and gives her the finger...behind her back," returns to cleaning the spill. With about 5 of us left to share, we direct it to this poor young woman and how glad we are that she has made it back.

The last to share is a women that I saw at the Monday night meeting that didn't share...she usually does. She is 5 years sober. She launches into a tirade saying that she is just hanging on to her sobriety for the past weeks. One daughter came out, the other admitted she was an alkie, her Dad called her saying he was going to commit suicide and her husband is a drunkin liar and cheater. No, she says, 5 years and life is not better and she has a real bad case of the f'its. Why not just drink and escape she adds.

Wow, it's a few minutes after the hour now. Time for the meeting to conclude? NFW! The old timers launch into action. Walt, 43 years sober shares about all his crazy family members...and this dude does it with flare and pizzazz. He has ALL of us rolling with laughter.

One thing he said that second time around that struck me was that HE DOESN'T COME TO MEETINGS BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT TO DRINK. HE COMES BECAUSE HE STILL WANTS TO DRINK. Meetings offer him a constant reminder of just how bad life was when he drank.

We finished the formal meeting 30 minutes past the one hour. Then ALL of stayed around offering hugs and more specific experience, strength and hope to those two women that were suffering.

It was so raw...so powerful. T, 5 year woman left smiling. D, one yr relapse woman left with two other women that have solid programs making plans to get together today. Her bf was so messed up and had gone to the car and was I'm certain fast asleep.

AA Responsibility Pledge

I am Responsible.
When Anyone, Anywhere
Reaches Out For Help,
I Want The Hand Of A.A.
Always To Be There.

And For That,
I Am Responsible !

I am so grateful to have found that fellowship.

Carlos
Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

That AA responsibility pledge really says a mouthful. I'm glad you stronger ones were there to lend a shoulder, Carlos.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Carlos, Wow! I must admit I've never been to a meeting like that one! It's a good reminder that we are never "cured" and are only one drink away from being there.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I have a sense that there are people who are kind of struggling with life right now. For anyone out there who might be suffering, I send hugs and prayers.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to drop in and say hi! Exhausted today, too tired to reply to everyone individually, but I read everything!!

Take care team!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

BoozeFree - Congratulations on 7 wonderful sober months! I'm proud of the way you have found success by reaching out of your comfort zone. You are a role model for folks who are struggling with sobriety - a testament to what happens when you keep coming back. Enjoy the day!

Jsbodhi - Thanks for the post. I hope you have a good rest after a great sober day.

Saskia - I agree with you that AA stuff that once bristled me now resonates. There are still some things that leave me scratching my head, but overall I've gained so much from it, that it's growing on me.

Gilmer - You are so thoughtful, always looking after your SR peeps.

Hi Drake!

Carlos - What an amazing meeting. I don't know that the folks in my community would go over the hour limit, but I do watch how the folks with good recovery direct their responses to others who are struggling and reach out after the meetings to people in need. I've never seen the pledge before. That sums it up perfectly. It's a beautiful thing to be a part of.

So is SR! I'm happy to be part of this special place for recovery.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hey undies!!
It's been awhile. Just popping in to say a big congrats to BF on 7 months!!! Awesome!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too BF - decidedly unwomp

D
Old 01-22-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi, Siesta! It's good to see you!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Carlos sounds like a great meeting!

Hi Siesta! How've you been?

Hope everyone has a nice day. Womp time!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Carlos: that's quite a meeting!!!

Gilmer: that was really sweet of you!

BF: congratulations! Good for you!

Gleefan: have a good day

Siesta: nice to meet you!

Dee: hi dee nice to see you in here as always

I'm good, off to work!
Take care everyone xoxo
Old 01-22-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Carlos what a great story about your meeting. Gilmer your post really touched me I think I needed it tonight!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Della
Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Just checkin in. Womp flew by today. Just watching a lil tv and relaxin tonight. Not sure what's planned for the weekend yet
Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

BF, I love how you're just breezing through and womping and hanging out :-)

(((Della))), it sounds like you're not feeling great today. I hope tomorrow will be brighter!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Congratulations, GLEEFAN, on 11 months sober today!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Glee, congrats on 11 months!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Congrats Gleefan and thank you Saskia!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hey 19,

Congrats on 11 months of clean and sober.

Even more so, thanks for the special way you verbalize the many markers you have hit on your journey thus far.

No, not the monthly markers. The markers of experience, strength and hope.

You have a gift for explaining a recovery issue from its outset, how you choose to work through this issue, and finally the lesson it has taught you.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I have gained much from the gift of following your sober journey!

Thanks,

Carlos
Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Glee congrats on 11 months! I can't believe you're almost in the Over club,

Off to womp
Have a good day everyone!