Class of August 2014 Part 14

Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Pink - I hope today makes up for yesterday

D
Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Pink, I thought I loved Chinese food until I went to an authentic Chinese restaurant in SanFrancisco's Chinatown years ago......That was the last time I went to any authentic ethnic restaurant!

You will definitely have a good laugh about it - - especially the falling part! Imagine falling while sober! and with no ice around!

I agree that a terrible day sober still beats a drinking day.

I am going to my book club meeting tonight.......
Old 12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 39! 1 slip in in 74 days!!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Pink, on the bright side you will wake up refreshed, have breakfast and laugh about this. And, you will remember everything to laugh at!

Rah, kickin it! Awesome.

Bed early for my flight tomorrow. Already have plans for a non alcohol dinner with coworkers at a fantastic healthy restaurant. And I am driving. Wow, times have changed.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Feeling blessed. Spent time tonight with my awesome kids (wife was out). Did homework, watched them play instruments, and now am hanging out for a few moments before bringing my daughter to bed.

(Son will be moving the "Elf on the Shelf"). Life is good.

So greatful to be alcohol free.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all- I too, have lost track of days a bit, although I have a few dates circled on the calendar. I am back from a short trip to NYC, where i gave a presentation to my sales team. I received several sincere kudos' for a great presentation and someone said it was good to, "see the real me back". While drinking, I didn't really care what people thought of me. I'm realizing I obviously didn't care what I thought of myself either. I felt calm, confident and was very on top of my game. It has been a loooong time since I felt so good about my job, my life and where it is headed. As I was traveling home i told myself that today was the reward for all of the 3 1/2 months of hard work and that I deserved to feel good. Sorry for all of the self back-patting but wanted to share a successful day with my peeps. : )

Ultra- moving the Elf at 5 a.m hungover was so depressing….moving it this year is so much more fun at 11 p.m (yes, my 13 year old daughter still enjoys the Elf…)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Morning all, just saying hi.

I am really liking all the stories of how things are different now to then. Great to read. I am up and about and on my way into work. Lots to cram in before the christmas break but so so much easier without hangovers and with some good sleep! I have a random day off annual leave on Monday so I don't lose it from this years allowance so going to work extra hard for a long weekend :-)

See you all later.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Cleareyes, loved your post. That is fantastic to hear and I can so relate. Thanks for sharing that, inspired me and made me realize again how life changing this truly is.

Getting on a plane to do the same type of thing in a few minutes.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Very uplifting, thought-provoking post, ClearEyes. We really are so much better than we were when we started out together!

Today I am going to the Y, then meeting a cousin to do some Christmas shopping. This cousin and I have always been close, and have always gotten really silly together.
She is another one who might order a glass of wine, might not -but, if she does, usually leaves about half in the glass.

I give mostly gift cards and money, but buy toys for my seven great-nieces and great-nephews to go along with the money. I think gift cards are the perfect gift for the hairdresser, manicurist, massage therapist, mail woman, newspaper person, cleaning lady, waitress/owner at the restaurant the book club meets at, etc. They seem a bit more personal than cash. I give cash to younger nieces and nephews and the seven little ones for their college funds.

Have a happy, safe and sober day everyone.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good Morning!
Great to see so many strong posts and milestones. I too have lost track of days and I let my app from Hazelden count for me. Last Christmas was the reason why I was finally able to quit drinking. We had a rare opportunity to stay home instead of having to go out of town. So I had the opportunity to start drinking at noon an my kids saw me drunk. I've never been so ashamed in my life and I lost a precious Christmas memory. But it was also the day that I realized that my action or inaction definitely effects those around me. It was the day that I began to take responsibility for my own life.

I've been working hard on healing myself. My attitude, emotions, body, memories my relationships are all in need of healing. Slowly, I'm learning to listen to what my body is trying to tell me and learning to take care of myself. As a result, I feel more contented and grounded even though I'm putting in many hours at work and at gift shopping.

Recently my daily focus has shifted from not drinking to not living reactively but intentionally. Right now, that means thinking before I speak. (Easier said than done!) It gives me many more opportunities to be kind. The power of listening!

Have a great day, TeamAugust! I'll be thinking of my holiday survival plan today. Preparation is sober power!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Great posts everyone keep them coming Cleareyes, loved your post as it shows the tremendous benefits that an alcohol-free life brings us. I, too, feel so much less anxious and I feel calmer now that I am alcohol free. Funny how alcohol lied and told us it would relax us when in fact it did the exact opposite. I am calmer now than ever and it has everything to do with not drinking.
Love and hugs to you all !
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

So we all know that becoming and remaining alcohol free is not a panacea.

I do feel that it brings us closer to, helps us recognize, and/or aligns with our "Universal Purpose" (in whatever way one defines it). Working with rather than against The Universe (again, however one defines is) is infinitely easier and more rewarding on multiple levels.

The stories underly another shift in the group. We've come from "Can I do this? (I don't want to get to far ahead of myself. I'll focus on hitting one week and take it from there)

To "I can do this" (what was "novel" is beginning to feel "normal")

To "What else can I Do?" (While I remain vigilant I'm not going to define myself by my relationship to alcohol. Time to begin focusing energy on other areas of my life!)

Great work Team!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
So we all know that becoming and remaining alcohol free is not a panacea.

I do feel that it brings us closer to, helps us recognize, and/or aligns with our "Universal Purpose" (in whatever way one defines it). Working with rather than against The Universe (again, however one defines is) is infinitely easier and more rewarding on multiple levels.

The stories underly another shift in the group. We've come from "Can I do this? (I don't want to get to far ahead of myself. I'll focus on hitting one week and take it from there)

To "I can do this" (what was "novel" is beginning to feel "normal")

To "What else can I Do?" (While I remain vigilant I'm not going to define myself by my relationship to alcohol. Time to begin focusing energy on other areas of my life!)

Great work Team!
Great interpretation and perspective on our progress on this journey thanks for this post Ultra !!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 40! 1 slip in 75 days! Feeling so grateful today!! I love my new city, my dogs, our home. Feeling really happy.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 40! 1 slip/75 days! Feeling so grateful and happy today! Love my new town, my dogs my hubby and our home!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Ultra, i like the way you analyze and phrase things - - you would make a great summation writer.

Rah, good to hear you sounding so happy.

Choobie, I love how you took responsibility.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Well, made it through airport, long day, hotel bar, dinner with bar and am tucked in hotel bed sober and happy and relaxed in a strange new way.

Checked out the gym and set alarm to go before tomorrow's presentation. Feels so much better than stumbling up from the bar, not remembering going to bed and waking up with confusion over what town I am in and why. Then getting a glimpse of my bloated face in the mirror..

There is a full size Starbucks in the lobby kids! Team A Karma baby!

Next hurdle is airport bar on way home. Not even a thought.

Great posts by the way ultra and choobie.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Chris, ditto on the calm thing. I feel actually calm tonight. I used to think the poison did that. Boy was that false advertising.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Determined, you are going to kill it tomorrow! : )
Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Ultra, a fantastic post my friend, the shift in perspective here is awesome, enlightening and empowering, spot on! Very inspirational leader over there!
Determine well done on getting through the airport etc, it's tough meeting new situations, and you sailed through. You will be fine on the way home, treat yourself to some fragrance and chocolate in the duty free xx

Last day here, going for a walk along the beach this morning to erase the terrible walk I had the last evening! Laughing out loud at my previous post now.
Then we are visiting the tsunami memorial site to pay our respects. It is the 10 year anniversary here 2 weeks today and the atmosphere of the build up is a strange but humbling thing to be a part of. We are staying in the jw marriot in khao lak, which was the worst affected death toll wise. I feel privelidge to see the respect here, the team work, the support, the way they have driven forward. I feel proud to visit the memorial today at such a pertinent time and pay my heartfelt respects to those unfortunate people. It is such a sad impossible moment to comprehend, such bravery. The royal family have been to the beach this morning. Their grandson died here at the time. Feel so humbled to be allowed to share this.

Have a good day folks xxx