Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 14

Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Fantastic Pink! Gave me chills. I'm so proud of you.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Scooter. Being alcohol free is so much easier and it's great to hear about your many positive changes.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey all

Powerful posts today.

I don't miss people moving away from me on a packed train in the morning because of my stale booze smell. Like scooter I don't use gum and mints anymore to mask daytime drinking. I also have time to care for my teeth and shower well. Not passing out without or skipping in the morning to maintain normal work start times. It was so so bad looking back.

Went out for a colleagues leaving drinks today most of the afternoon and into early evening. Played the tape today and diet coke all the way :-)

I am looking forward to christmas now and some time off work.

Hey max, just a little shout out to you. Hope you had a better day today :-)
Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

some amazing recovery stories in this thread guys

D
Old 12-09-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 38! 1 slip in the last 73 days!!
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
ph7

Hi all,

Thought I'd check in on you

I haven't been checking in as much during the last month let alone posting.

So here I am, 125 days sober.

Fortunately, Its not been too difficult, I expect due to circumstances of having a good job, roof over my head and good health with little outside worry or pressures, I could concentrate on just not drinking.

But maybe it has been difficult, and maybe I've just done a goddam good job of getting through this far.

My biggest issue is that I thought I'd be a lot more active and have this "new me" feeling and a buzz about myself but I've just settled back into my old self just without alcohol.

I've had some days / periods of being down and depressed for no apparent reason but they pass and I just tell myself its part of the healing process.

Now and then I still have to remind myself this is how it is for the rest of my life sometimes that bothers me but I just accept it.

Anyway well done to you all whatever day your on.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

London I get you on the whole, maintenence of routine Things. only looking back we realise the way we had functioned on minimum and thought this was ok and unnoticeable, etc. I feel sad to think of the showers I didn't have, topping up make up still left on from day before as to plastered to remember to remove it, grubby clothes as had nothing ironed etc. , apalling really. Great insight post about your fellow train commuters. Something that would have passed you by before, and now you spot it instantly. You're not in that club anymore babe ☺ you get your hip today, woop hoop! That's gotta be a great feeling xxx have a great day xxx
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go ph7
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
Determined 4 months is the stuff my dreams are made of! You are doing fantastically! Congratulations! I'm chasing you ☺

Positive post about an alcohol free holiday?
I remember every precious detail , no blurs or blackouts
I have woken up fresh every day, no hangover, just good memories of the night before
The bar bill tonight was a fiver, not 50 quid on wine and shots!
My first sober holiday in 15 years.....A massive achievement I wasn't sure I could commit to
Talking about and planning our future over massive coconut juice mocktails in actual coconuts on the beach next to the bonfire tonight was one of the most perfect moments of my life, and I get to share it with you wonderful beautiful people xxx
We are releasing lanterns on the beach tomorrow night with personal messages on them, I'm just trying to get my words together, there's a lot to say!

Love that I can be sober, love that the Av didn't win, love that today I win again. love that I wasn't boring and the evening didn't suck like the Av said. Today I am in control, hope you guys all are too x☺

Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ph7, 125 days! Wow ☺ damn right you have worked hard and deserve it, it has been tough and you have ridden it through with astounding capability, be proud of yourself, because I am proud of you, look how far you've come xxx
Old 12-10-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi there ph7! Fantastic job!! The thought of forever is indeed tough. That is certainly my biggest struggle. But, for once I think we all see it is possible.

I have a flight in the morning with a hotel stay to give two presentations. Normally these have been ugly... Actually rented a car as I always just got cabs before so I could hit it hard. I predict ghost saves!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Good to hear from you Ph7. You are doing great!

Pink, I know exactly what you mean about the showers, make-up, outfits. Most of my work clothes had to be drycleaned, so I always made sure I had clothes ready. Why didn't I spend that time and energy I spent working around hiding my drinking planning my recovery?

I find I get depressed thinking about all the time I lost; obviously it was not all lost. I went on great vacations, bought my Cape home, worked my way up to vice-president of a major firm, took early retirement when I realized I could easily afford to, went to many great restaurants and plays, etc. But, there are times lately when all I can think of is that I lost 25+ years of life.

Meanwhile, I am losing track of my sobriety days. Yesterday was 116, not 115 like I announced. I am going to highlight Days 120, 150, 168 (3x my previous high) 180, 200, etc. on my kitchen calendar. I no longer get out of bed and say "Today is Day # .." which I think is a good thing for me.

I think the miserable torrential rain, high winds and darkness has gotten to me. We are in the middle of a Northeaster. I will be happy to see the sun again.

Have a happy, safe and sober day everyone.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good morning! Some people are posting some great successes! Congrats! You inspire me! I have been traveling for work this week. Came down with a nasty head cold. No temptations related to drinking right now. I understand the comments people have made about life once you stop drinking. I tell myself that it's an opportunity to reinvent myself. The problem is that I don't really know what I want the new me to be. I am starting to enjoy one of new hobbies I've picked up...going to watch the Hornets basketball. Other than that I mostly stay home. One thing I want to do is to start walking everyday. We are on a journey! We will figure this out!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Good morning,

Meanwhile, I am losing track of my sobriety days. Yesterday was 116, not 115 like I announced. I am going to highlight Days 120, 150, 168 (3x my previous high) 180, 200, etc. on my kitchen calendar. I no longer get out of bed and say "Today is Day # .." which I think is a good thing for me.
We are in synch Scooter. I , too, for the first time ever have lost track of my days. I had to look at my calendar today to note that it was 121 days I really had no idea I had corssed over 120 already!
I do have 4 months on my calendar which is Friday and you better bet I will be celebrating with some dark chocolate cake with chocolate frosting!
I will also put 5,6,7,8,9 months on the calendar etc. as well as 150 days, 200 etc just to have something to look forward to every few weeks.
So cool how we all started this journey together and share similar experiences!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Great job all. I'm never was a big day counter (though it's sometimes fun for me to keep score!) so I really don't know what day I'm at. I do know I'll hit my next month on Christmas.

I really like how many people are already setting and focusing on future milestones. We are doing this folks- be proud!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

This is not alcohol related but I need to say it out loud. I have had a awful evening. We booked into a Japanese restaurant for dinner. I have never eaten japanese and am a shy eater. I detest seafood, soup, mushrooms, sweetcorn and spinach. Looked at the menu, thought I was k good to go with several meat options. Worst meal of my entire life. Starter was pork and veg dumplings......sounds good. Arrived swimming in mushroom soup. Next course which I hadn't ordered, was complimentary, seafood miso soup. Main was tepenyaki (excuse spelljng) chicken with garlic fried rice, sounds lush. Sweetcorn everywhere, fish paste sauce and garlic mushrooms. Next complimentary course I didn't order was tempura prawns. Argh. Desert? I ordered a sweet rice cake. The worst dessert ever. Soggy rice cake in a red bean paste. Was vile. I so wanted to be cool and love japanese food. I actually struggled to swallow it, and the server just stood next to me noddingand smiling saying 'is good?' It was a disaster! We laughed about it and went for a walk on the beach. There was a power cut pitch black, a crab bit my foot I fell back into the sea on my butt in my evening wear. Got back to the hotel in tears, lj took me to get a coconut mocktails to cheer me up. Coconut was mouldy inside. I am sitting in bed eating digestives watching thai adverts feeling sorry for myself. What a night. I will laugh about this tomorrow. Bloody disaster
Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Ok Pink you have to get a night's sleep and read that post tomorrow. You will laugh for sure. Let's chalk that up to a bad day. Tomorrow is a new one.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Pink. I will say it again even tho I sound like a broken record... a really bad day is much better than any day drinking. You are doing GREAT ! Just sharing on SR shows how healthy of an attitude you have even in the toughest times!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Pink! You will laugh about this tomorrow- I'm really proud of the way you handled the situation.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Oh dear Pink, that sounds like a run of bad luck. I am glad you got through all that and you know you will see the funny side. Thank goodness for good old biscuits! It's cold at home but no snow - will see what I can do for your return.

Hope everyone is good. I have also stopped waking up thinking "it's day x" but have my check in each evening on my Lift App so I can always look.

I worked late today so missed AA. I also have a bit of a cold and dodgy sinuses so I am at home resting and already had an early evening nap. Much better transit g a cold with rest and sleep rather than alcohol "because it kills germs" lol

Got my final deliveries of xmas gifts today. My tree and decorations are up and tomorrow I will have my annual present wrapping and xmas music video evening. Minus alcohol for the first year! I remember what the final presents I wrapped looked like last year...a mess.

Stay safe and sober everyone.