Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 5

Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Also, just wanted to share - I had my dental appointment and checkup last month, and a mammogram today (unfortunately), and I'm getting clean bills of health (phew!). Yes I was super anxious about them, but it's a reminder that things can be, and often are, OK. Just one more appointment next week to really have things crossed off my list.

Next on the agenda is to re-incoporate an exercise plan. A year ago, I ran about 50 miles in the month of December. I think I'll ease back in this month, and then give myself a similar goal for January. Here's hoping anyway.

It sure 'helps' to just put these appointments on the calendar and just get it done, and think about goals. Feels good to be a tiny bit ahead of the New Year's resolution thing.

Last year, it's as if I gave myself permission - a pass - to eat and drink (and NOT be merry, essentially) in total excess for November and December....you know, since it was the holiday season....I won't make that same mistake this year.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good news, AppleKat.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Checking in. Still sober. I went for a walk/jog in the cold and dreary weather today. Didn't enjoy it, but not too bad. I should sleep better tonight because of the exercise. Got my chores done. Taking a nap before starting dinner.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Roll call! Hope everyone is well. Just wanted to say hi to everyone, and I'm thinking of you, no matter what day you're on!

Applekat
ANewDayNYC
GroundhogDay
Magellan
Peacehappyness
phoebe64
SleepyDots
TXAlchy2
gypsytears
josharon
ubntubnt
Kensho
andyroo72
workforit
MarathonMan
Pixie30f
Erratic
DoPerdition
he19me
CristinaN
TopEndChick
bblackbirdflyy
Jsbodhi
MrG seems to have dropped out
Old 12-08-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Checking in. Busy day at work. Tired. Hope I can sleep early and sleep well.

@ Applekat - glad to hear your medical tests went well.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks Applecat

Actually managed to do some exercise today, it's fallen to the wayside over the past few weeks but need to get back on a regular routine as it's helped massively in the past.
Well done Groundhogday any exercise helps, it's horrible grey and dreary weather here too .
Old 12-08-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Whoops did I miss someone?

Anyone else get a good chunk of their Xmas shopping done, but tend to forget about the whole WRAPPING part of the process?!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I almost failed today, I had to post on the general Newcomers Board for a "2nd Opinion" - I had a lot of great support and made it through today. Really happy that I was able to fight off the thought of drinking wine/beer tonight. The holidays are so tough, it is almost like I am preprogramed to include alcohol with all holiday activities, got to change!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Whoops did I miss someone?
He hasn't been online in a while.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
I almost failed today, I had to post on the general Newcomers Board for a "2nd Opinion" - I had a lot of great support and made it through today. Really happy that I was able to fight off the thought of drinking wine/beer tonight. The holidays are so tough, it is almost like I am preprogramed to include alcohol with all holiday activities, got to change!
Nice job Magellan!! Way to reach out first. It's a simple thing but many people just skip that and drink. Well done, friend!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Great job Magellan!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good on you Magellan
Old 12-08-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good job. Keep it up.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Also, just wanted to share - I had my dental appointment and checkup last month, and a mammogram today (unfortunately), and I'm getting clean bills of health (phew!). Yes I was super anxious about them, but it's a reminder that things can be, and often are, OK. Just one more appointment next week to really have things crossed off my list.

Next on the agenda is to re-incoporate an exercise plan. A year ago, I ran about 50 miles in the month of December. I think I'll ease back in this month, and then give myself a similar goal for January. Here's hoping anyway.

It sure 'helps' to just put these appointments on the calendar and just get it done, and think about goals. Feels good to be a tiny bit ahead of the New Year's resolution thing.

Last year, it's as if I gave myself permission - a pass - to eat and drink (and NOT be merry, essentially) in total excess for November and December....you know, since it was the holiday season....I won't make that same mistake this year.
Its nice AKat that you are thinking like this. I sometimes think that when we are drinking and also trying to stay fit (the kind of work hard, play hard mentality) that we tend to live in extremes and ride these roller coasters. I am a pretty extreme example of this. For November and December this year I am going to try to live life in the slow lane, lots of early nights, rest, happy time with family and gentle exercise. Not 10 mile "need to burn the calories so that I can drink" manic runs but instead more gentle 5 mile "exercise to feel better and sleep better" runs. So please take things slowly and build it up gradually. You are healthy now and off the booze so allow yourself to enjoy life at a more gentle pace for a couple of months, it can be your Xmas gift to yourself. Asl long as you stay off the booze you can increase gently next year and be in great shape. There is no rush so enjoy life in the now.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Checking in. Sober night. My daughter just had a nasty tumble down the stairs and it has me shaken, even though she seems ok. Bruised but ok. What is with these falls? My husband tumbled off a ladder and now her on the stairs?! I hope this is not one of those things that come in 3's. She is alive and not seeming to need the emergency room, but she has a nasty bruise on her leg, and her neck and jaw are red, and she thinks she whacked them, as well as her head. But no lingering headache or dizziness. it was a loud tumble from near the top of the steps.

I feel so anxious, unsettled thinking about this. Nothing to drink in the house, not even beer. Good thing. would be a bad idea with an injury in the house. never know what may happen in the hours after. But, i think my nerves are easily frazzled in early sobriety.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Oh that sounds horrible Phoebe hope she is ok and recovers quickly. If you are worried though take her to the hospital and have her checked over it won't do any harm and maybe help to put your mind at ease. These things are always extremely stressful
Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Checking in. Sober night. My daughter just had a nasty tumble down the stairs and it has me shaken, even though she seems ok. Bruised but ok. What is with these falls? My husband tumbled off a ladder and now her on the stairs?! I hope this is not one of those things that come in 3's. She is alive and not seeming to need the emergency room, but she has a nasty bruise on her leg, and her neck and jaw are red, and she thinks she whacked them, as well as her head. But no lingering headache or dizziness. it was a loud tumble from near the top of the steps.

I feel so anxious, unsettled thinking about this. Nothing to drink in the house, not even beer. Good thing. would be a bad idea with an injury in the house. never know what may happen in the hours after. But, i think my nerves are frazzled in early sobriety.
Glad to hear that your daughter didn't hurt bad from the fall off the stairs. Hope she gets well soon. Being with her is a better idea, that thinking about a drink. Stay strong.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Oh that sounds horrible Phoebe hope she is ok and recovers quickly. If you are worried though take her to the hospital and have her checked over it won't do any harm and maybe help to put your mind at ease. These things are always extremely stressful
Yeah, I think I checked her over pretty well. I am a physical therapist, and checked her neck movement, her knees, looked her over for bruises she may not have felt, etc... More wondering what aches may appear in the morning. But, kids are resilient. She is 15. She was able to shower and I am about to go bring her ice packs up to her bed.

I was just surprised at how shaky I felt. I am usually the rock with medical issues. It sounded so awful(I was in another room) it frightened me.

I hope she has no lasting strains or sprains. She just made the basketball team.

I think my nerves are just on edge from sobriety too. I recall that. Anxiety is easily triggered.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Apple, glad the dentist and all went well. And I too am largely done with Christmas. Just a couple of other things to get.

Phoebe, that sounds terrible. Glad your daughter is okay. My oldest took a tumble when she was very young and I heard it in the other room. I still remember the sound. Always will. Be glad you were sober and there to help.

I bit the bullet and took a run tonight. I've had a nagging foot injury that has kept me sidelined for months. So far no pain. We'll see how it is in the morning. Amazing how fast you lose distance though. Hopefully won't take too long to build up again.

See you all on sober Tuesday.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

TXA, yes it is amazing how fast you lose distance and speed but its also amazing at how fast it comes back. Be smart about how you build back up. Stay off the booze, eat well and don't overdo the mileage...but you already know all that anyway!

Phoebe, sorry to hear about your daughter. Try not to stress, it seems she is ok. A deep breathe, kiss for your daughter and move on.