Notices

Class of December 2014

Old 12-03-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome medion

1 step - I just could not accept I was not like all my mates - it took me decades to accept I was different and things got worse and worse and worse...I nearly ended up dying.

I was consumed by fear - fear of change and fear I'd lose something by being sober. Instead, I gained everything

Please...be smarter than me

D
Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Well, I made it through Day 4, but not Night 4. Here I am at Day 1, again! Sheesh this is harder than I thought it would be.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Facing future.. I don't know about you, but I think I just needed to get to that point of misery again. I want out of this vicious cycle. Good for you for dumping the wine. We can do this
Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charlieinthebox View Post
Well, I made it through Day 4, but not Night 4. Here I am at Day 1, again! Sheesh this is harder than I thought it would be.
It's is hard, but good for you for starting right back up again. The key for me is getting through those tough moments where a split second decision gets me either drinking or another day of sobriety.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

It wasn't like I was listening to my AV. I just decided to go out. Didn't give it a second thought up until I was walking into the bar. As I did that I became anxious and told myself I'll calm down after the first drink. I did, but I stayed out wayyyy too late and had wayyyy too many.... again. So here I am again.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

What sucks is that I really liked the last few mornings waking up feeling good and good about myself. All that down the tubes with one night for "just a couple".
Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilsmum View Post
Any suggestions on what to do with my time when they are gone?
I would do anything that you enjoy to do that keeps you sober. You could go for a walk, go to the gym, read a book, go to the movies, cook yourself a special meal, do things around the house...the possibilities are endless (with exception of drinking). If there are things to do, you could do these tasks also. Congrats on 3 days lilsmum!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't overemphasise how important it is to post when you're in trouble guys - not after.

SR saved my butt and kept me from drinking many times - there's always support here.

If you don't want to drink, there's absolutely no reason you have to - fight it!

D
Old 12-03-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Dee, you are so right. Forcing myself out if autopilot mode and taking a few minutes to read and post on sr has made all the difference for me a
Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

(Sorry I hit send too soon ). When I forced myself to come here and change my mindset and ask for help, it worked. I need to make a promise to myself to do that oj matter how much my AV disagrees or how much I just don't feel like it. I do find that I utilize sr much more when I'm stronger, which kind of defeats the purpose early on.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
waking down

Hello, Decemberists. I'm a member of the December 2013 club, and I want to tell you if I can do it you can do it. I was drunk for the better part of 40 years. I'm not going to lie - it wasn't easy adjusting at first, but I'm so glad I stuck it out. A few thoughts:

The anxiety was overwhelming, but I am now less anxious than I ever remember being.
The boredom was temporary, especially when I realized how much I could do sober that I couldn't do drunk.
The self-loathing was paralyzing, but I went from feeling like a loser to embracing self-compassion so I could accept myself and move on with my life.
I complained a lot when I was drinking and early in detox, but I've embraced gratitude. I mean, I still complain some, and SR is a good place to let it out, but all in all I'm just more content. I'm lucky to be alive.

Stick it out. Drink herbal tea. Squeeze lemon into club soda on ice. Keep busy even if it's just hanging out reading posts on SR. There is so much to learn...

Welcome!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
waking down

Hello, Decemberists. I'm a member of the December 2013 club, and I want to tell you if I can do it you can do it. I was drunk for the better part of 40 years. I'm not going to lie - it wasn't easy adjusting at first, but I'm so glad I stuck it out. A few thoughts:

The anxiety was overwhelming, but I am now less anxious than I ever remember being.
The boredom was temporary, especially when I realized how much I could do sober that I couldn't do drunk.
The self-loathing was paralyzing, but I went from feeling like a loser to embracing self-compassion so I could accept myself and move on with my life.
I complained a lot when I was drinking and early in detox, but I've embraced gratitude. I mean, I still complain some, and SR is a good place to let it out, but all in all I'm just more content. I'm lucky to be alive.

Stick it out. Drink herbal tea. Squeeze lemon into club soda on ice. Keep busy even if it's just hanging out reading posts on SR. There is so much to learn...

Welcome!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Keep going class of December! We can do this!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hello all , today is day 6 for me . I am feeling encouraged , I have been happy for the first time in a while. I am thankfully for sr, and all the support.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Good morning class. It is tough to get sober. I always found the first few days the hardest since the cravings were very intense. One of the things I have had to learn is to remain extra vigilant to make sure I don't slip as I accrued more sober time. Most of you are stringing together a lot of sober days and doing a great job, which is awesome.
I wanted to share so you can potentially avoid making the same mistake I did when first attempting to get sober.
Have a great day and stay strong!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me. Really love waking up not feeling like crap. Have a great day all!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I realize December may be one of the less popular months to make changes and and commitments like we are, but that only makes me feel more determined!

Long deep sleep for me and a nice clear head. This is the only way to live. Alcohol, in any amount, no longer agrees with me physically or mentally.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Day 2 here, feeling ok but got one of 'those' brown envelopes, in the post yesterday and Im weary of opening it in case it triggers me, how mad is that!

Oh well, its going to be a tough day got an evening AA meeting planned so aiming for that, still craving it, can relate Charlie, when I went out to the pub quiz the other night I actually ordered coffee to start with, but after that I ordered the first drink that led to several.

Its a tough time of year, I managed to do 3months over the xmas period last year with the help of SR and AA but slipped in February. An old work colleague has invited me out tonight, they know I have a drink problem but think Id be ok if I drank low strength beer etc. My AV is telling me to meet up with them all after the meeting and just have a few, my thinking is truly insane.

Sponsor has advised me to read the 1st 57 pages of big book to reaffirm my acceptance of me being an alcoholic, the truth is though I know I am, there isn't a part of me that is in denial, I drink knowing my condition which in a way makes it even harder to understand it all.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hi gang, I've been hanging around for a couple years, getting a few weeks or months of sobriety at a time, then slipping back into old habits. I feel like I may have finally turned a corner in accepting my lack of any control where alcohol is concerned. I want to give this a fresh run, and am joining the december group to try and help with accountability. My longest stretch was almost 6 months starting back in February. I thought things were going pretty well, but I guess thats when your guard is down, and you give in to temptation.

Thanks to everyone for the support, experience and hope.

December 1, 2014

Eric
Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Still going strong. Welcome to all the new memebers, keep coming back & post often if you have to.