Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 3

Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I'm starting to feel lost in this group!

I'm coming off of a rough weekend (didn't drink but all the danger signs were there), but today should be a good day to recalibrate and get back on track. I was feeling great last week, but for the past few days I've been stressed and irritable. Time to find some new sober strategies, I think! Day 10.
Hi Jo, hope you are doing fine and felling better than earlier today. Couple of strategies are to stay strong and determined.

We believe you can do it.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

And the bruises will heal. But only without alcohol in your life.

You know that. I know that. Doesn't make it easy.

But "the journey is much easier when you are not carrying your past."

Mmmmm. I want cake now!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I'm starting to feel lost in this group!

I'm coming off of a rough weekend (didn't drink but all the danger signs were there), but today should be a good day to recalibrate and get back on track. I was feeling great last week, but for the past few days I've been stressed and irritable. Time to find some new sober strategies, I think! Day 10.
Hi Jo, hope you are doing fine and felling better than earlier today. Couple of strategies are to stay strong and determined.

We believe you can do it.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Triple post. Apologies...
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Evening all. I'll catch up on posts in a bit. Just wanted to say well done to you all.

Let's get 'em tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Day 9/Day 10
Heavy workload so no real time to think about drinking and AV was quiet. A bit of a relief after a difficult weekend.

Day 10 today (yay...double figures). Up most of the night working so really tired today. Probably just work and bed today. Before I quit a nice tired bottle of wine on the couch would be in my head for most of the day, as it is now. Thanks to the forum for introducing me to HALT. I will make sure that the AV doesn't catch me on this one tonight.

Struck me last night how much of my drinking was habit related rather than a physical craving. Typically when I needed to work very late I was doing it over a couple of bottles of wine. One bottle = not really drinking. Two = normal. Three = a bit heavy. Three+beers = Wednesday

Last night was a late one with no alcohol and it wasn't an issue. Just kind of reminded me that this is am much about breaking habits as it is about breaking the dependency, be it mental of physical. Anyway, kicking on....
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
"I once heard a sober alcoholic say that drinking never made him happy, but it made him feel like he was going to be happy in about fifteen minutes. That was exactly it, and I couldn’t understand why the happiness never came, couldn’t see the flaw in my thinking, couldn’t see that alcohol kept me trapped in a world of illusion, procrastination, paralysis. I lived always in the future, never in the present. Next time, next time! Next time I drank it would be different, next time it would make me feel good again. And all my efforts were doomed, because already drinking hadn’t made me feel good in years." Heather King, Parched
That is brilliant. Thanks for posting :=]
Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
Just checking in. Work was stressful, but I made it through. My AV made its first appearance, but my commitment still remains strong. This is by far the strongest my commitment has ever been. Hopefully, it will remain that way even once the pain of my bruises wears off. I have sober plans for this weekend, but will need to continue to plan things and keep myself busy.
Well done....please remember your resolve on days like today and the great successes along the way....
Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Just reading back through the posts from over the last 12 hours. I know there are a lot of people struggling right now. Last week was so positive and strong for the group. Many of us seemed to be in the 1-10 day range. Seems that the weekend provided the first major hurdles are being encountered now by many. PLEASE don't give in. Lets hold this group together. There are so many posts from our fellow members saying that they have been relapsing for years and are back to day 1 or day 2 again. This cycle needs to stop and there is no better time than now.

When I read these posts I can hear my AV..."hey, see, its normal to relapse and get back on the wagon. Everyone is doing it. Don't worry about it. We are a team! Its ok to drink. The team will be there for you tomorrow. What's the harm in just one bottle of wine?"

Please, for so may of you, this is exactly the time to really dig in. I have not been 10 days sober in 20 years and truth be known I am terrified that if I drink again that this space I am clutching onto will be gone forever. So its now or never.

Too many people to call out personally. Lets just dig in and redouble our efforts and push to day 30. I am going to make it and I would love that we can take a few moments and celebrate this together.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Morning everyone - I'm sorry so many are struggling and I'm sorry about your foot gypsy - maybe today will be a better day hang in there

It's 8am here and at 6.45 I could barely open my eyes, felt groggy as hell but after 15 minutes (and some caffeine) I was feeling much better . Have managed to do some ironing and am now heading out for a walk to the shops with the little one after packing the eldest off to school .

I hAve been so careful not to replace my drinking calories with other calories and I've lost 3.5lbs already so I guess that's adding to my good mood today day 6 and I can't remember the last time I went this long - my face is de-puffing too - just another reason to keep this up

Catch you all later xx
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Just reading back through the posts from over the last 12 hours. I know there are a lot of people struggling right now. Last week was so positive and strong for the group. Many of us seemed to be in the 1-10 day range. Seems that the weekend provided the first major hurdles are being encountered now by many. PLEASE don't give in. Lets hold this group together. There are so many posts from our fellow members saying that they have been relapsing for years and are back to day 1 or day 2 again. This cycle needs to stop and there is no better time than now.

When I read these posts I can hear my AV..."hey, see, its normal to relapse and get back on the wagon. Everyone is doing it. Don't worry about it. We are a team! Its ok to drink. The team will be there for you tomorrow. What's the harm in just one bottle of wine?"

Please, for so may of you, this is exactly the time to really dig in. I have not been 10 days sober in 20 years and truth be known I am terrified that if I drink again that this space I am clutching onto will be gone forever. So its now or never.

Too many people to call out personally. Lets just dig in and redouble our efforts and push to day 30. I am going to make it and I would love that we can take a few moments and celebrate this together.
You, sir, are on the right path! I am also terrified, scared to death and shivering. But we can do it! I still think we should welcome those who've relapsed. Being here is still a want for change, and I've done it too...We can all push to day 30, just shouldn't leave anyone behind!

No matter what, good job ubntubnt! Keep it up!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Morning All...Day 10 here. Not much time to post at the moment just wanted to offer encouragement to everyone and remind you that we are making the right choice. Our alcoholic drinking has brought us together for a common reason: we are unhappy with alcohol in our lives and we want to change. Let's remember this if and when we are tempted to pick up the drink again. Alcohol will not make our lives better, only worse. The longer I remained a drinker, the more problems I had, plain and simple. Despite repeated attempts over the last few years, things never got better, only worse. Why would I expect anything to change now?? I know that sobriety will stop me from spending money on booze, it will stop me from acting inappropriately, it will stop me from feeling like crap the next day --- all of that is a huge improvement already. It's really a no-brainer --- life will only get better through sobriety. Period.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustSarah View Post
Morning everyone - I'm sorry so many are struggling and I'm sorry about your foot gypsy - maybe today will be a better day hang in there

It's 8am here and at 6.45 I could barely open my eyes, felt groggy as hell but after 15 minutes (and some caffeine) I was feeling much better . Have managed to do some ironing and am now heading out for a walk to the shops with the little one after packing the eldest off to school .

I hAve been so careful not to replace my drinking calories with other calories and I've lost 3.5lbs already so I guess that's adding to my good mood today day 6 and I can't remember the last time I went this long - my face is de-puffing too - just another reason to keep this up

Catch you all later xx
Hi Sarah, I think its a good plan to try to not replace your alcohols cals with eating cals. The weight loss will help with your feel good factor. Just one thing, don't leave yourself hungry or feeling the deprivation that often comes with a diet. You will have enough your plate with giving up alcohol. Replacing 30% or 50% of the cals or losing weight slowing and consistently is great too...and you can treat yourself a little from time to time. Maybe pick a day each week where you can relax your diet and eat whatever you want. Life is for living too....as long as you don't drink!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Day 10. And have just gorged on strawberries!! Love my life right now!! So much to look forward too. Hope everyone is trucking along ok. AV has been pretty quite, but I know she will start raising her bitchy voice soon!!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Thanks UB I think I'll make Sunday my 'cake day' this Sunday will be a huge wedge of carrot cake after taking my eldest to his swimming lesson now there's something to look forward to xx
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ubntubnt

Great post

Relapse is not a part of recovery, it is a part of our addiction.

Let's not let ourselves get dragged back there guys

D
Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, day 12 in the UK.....stay strong everyone and don't give in.....you will only feel terrible if you do....stick with it and it will get easier. Have a good day all.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Well I never thought I'd make it to 28 days but here it is. So onwards and upwards!

I do hope the people who are struggling is to try and keep trying then the time will come and u will say not going to try any more I am going to DO IT!

Good luck and keep fighting against the AV it will lose its power over u xxx huggles to all.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Well done MM and woohoo erratic - that's teally good stuff. I'm on day 6 and my non-al beers are helping in the evening big time

We can do this xx
Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Well done Sarah on day 6 xxxx