Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 11

Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hello all sorry not been around had an absolutly CRAZY few days at work! Just had to give some emergency first aid and everything!

Hope all are well I'll catch up with posts soon

Peace and strength
Old 11-17-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Casinva- I feel that way when I eat junk food too. Especially salty stuff. As for your teenager, since I don't have a teenager I don't have any advice in that department. But since I have experience being a teenager, I can tell you that I think you're doing the right thing. All you can do is give your advice and he can choose to listen or not... and he probably won't because he's a teenager and teenagers generally know everything. Plus they're running on hormones. He'll have to figure it out for himself. We all did it. Just try not to relish in it too much when he says "you were right, mom" lol.

LS- Emergency first aid? What happened? Sounds pretty crazy at you work! What do you do?

Glee- I think you'll do wonderfully at your new job. And I think it might actually be a good thing that you don't have any expectations going into it.

Once again, not much going on here. Baby is getting sick despite being on antibiotics. It's probably viral. I give up. I refuse to make him a bubble boy. I'm tired as all hell. All the time. And maybe a little grouchy too.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi Febbies

I sure am tired, but I can't resist a check in with the Febbies.

I've had a headache for the better part of the afternoon but one of my 'besties' convinced me to go to my favorite Monday night AA meeting anyway. I didn't want to, but I do love the meeting, so I took the advice. I'm glad I did. There were so many shares that resonated with me tonight.

LS - you'll have to share more about your crazy day at work when you get the chance. Hectic, emotionally charged days were once big triggers for me. I hope you were able to discharge some of that stress in a healthy way.

Casinva - I think you sound like a mom who instinctively knows where to draw the line between helping and meddling. I hope your son comes to his senses ASAP!

Lulu - I've always noticed that parents who control their kids exposure to germs have overall sicker kids than parents who let their kids explore the world around them. It's got to be hard as a healthcare provider to take that leap.

Well Febs, it's off for some zzzzz's.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi Febbies,

Glee- I hope your headache is gone. I'm glad you had a good meeting. I used to love those kinds of meetings.

Warning: Whiney post ahead. Baby is still sick and woke up at 1am completely miserable last night. Crying inconsolably. I gave him some ibuprofen and he finally fell asleep around 230 but woke up around 5am. Hubby couldn't go back to sleep so he got up and went to work at 3am. I woke up this morning with a scratchy throat. So, I'm feeling sorry for myself. I have a sick little baby that is whining/ crying ALL the time lately, I'm getting sick, and I'm tired. On days like this I'd think "I'll just load up on caffeine and everything will be fine!". Now I can't do that either. We're supposed to be driving to San Antonio on Thursday, so we'll see how things go.

So, I'm just going to have to put on my big girl pants and weather through this little storm. I'm not the first mommy with a cold and a sick baby who gets up in the night. And thank goodness I'm fortunate enough to not have to work today. I have the art of feeling sorry for myself down to a science. Sometimes I forget to look ahead and see that everything will get better eventually (right?). And things certainly could get worse.

Ok, I feel better after venting to you all. I'm going to try to start the day with a better attitude now. Take care all!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Take care Lulu, this too shall pass.

Glee- lunch went well enough. There is some rebuilding to do but he emailed me later and said he would like for us to have lunch again. I am hopeful.

Today I would like to say I am so grateful for waking up sober. Why did we think any other way was better?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hmm. . . Tried to post but got an error message. I'll probably have 2 posts now!

Glee- Lunch went fairly well. There is some rebuilding to be done, but he emailed me later and said he'd like to do it again.

Today I am grateful to wake up sober. Why did we think any other way was better?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Ha! Knew it! Sorry all!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Lulu - Move over, I'm joining your pity party. I feel like I'm going into a funk. Like I'm PMS'ing but it's not that time of the month. I know it revolves around my son - he's being manipulated by this girl and there's nothing I can do about it. And yes I know he's still a teen but he's 19, not 15. He told me yesterday that "this is so hard and it hurts so much." I get that but that's no reason to go back with someone. I feel like he's just giving in, taking the easy way out. And THAT pisses me off. So I have all these emotions running rampant.

It's also cold. VERY cold. And windy. So I don't want to go anywhere.

The GOOD news is that I have absolutely zero desire to drink. I'm eating a few more cookies, but I'll take that trade off for the moment.

I think I'll jump on the treadmill. At least this way I can say I've done at least ONE thing productive today.

And I know that this too shall pass. Just feel sucky today, that's all....
Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I've always noticed that parents who control their kids exposure to germs have overall sicker kids than parents who let their kids explore the world around them.[/QUOTE]

Laissez-faire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think, I think, this is probably, more or less best, with some guidance of course. It' probably gonna happen that way anyway, I think. :-)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

((Lulu)) - I think the fact that misery passes is one of the hardest lessons for me to learn. Being up all night, and miserable all day, with a sick baby is incredibly isolating. I like how you worked through it til you realized that the present discomfort is a fleeting state. You are doing great!

((Casinva)) - WHY do kids have to learn lessons the hard way????????? A good workout helps mitigate stress. I hope the treadmill lightened your mood.

DiggingIn - I'm really feeling what you're saying about the mornings! In early sobriety I was too depressed to face my mornings. Lately, mornings are starting to become lively for me again - and I am excited for this returned enthusiasm for the mornings like newly sober people who are waking without hangovers for the first times.

I had a great night watching my son's entire grade do a performance at school. What a pleasure it is to attend these events attentively - not seeing them as obstacles to my drinking, or spending my time during the performance counting down minutes til I get home and get to start to drink. I'm so grateful for this increased mindfulness in sobriety.

Have a great night!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Glee, the treadmill did wonders! I was able to push the funk away and feel more balanced again. It's funny how once upon a time I would have succumbed to the feelings of gloom and would have drank the afternoon away. And I completely relate to the joy of attending school functions now - a statement I don't think I'd EVER say, lol. It's nice to be normal, isn't it?

It was a very strange couple of days. Like I said in an earlier post, I felt like I was hungover. Anxiety was starting to creep in as well and that's when I decided to get on the treadmill. I have to remember to stay hydrated and get on that thing every day. It's what keeps the anxiety at bay for sure.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

A badminton player ran backwards, tripped and managed to land squarely on his head. Pretty deep and wide cut that I bandaged up, his wife picked him up and took him to A+E to have stitches. It was a little stressful but I saw far, far worse at the school for disturbed adolescants.

It was also the end of my shift so the whole incident was essentially unpaid overtime, but nevermind! These things used to result in me thinking I'd somehow 'earned' a crate of cider. The AV didn't bother me much, and although it's been a really tough few days with other things going on it just doesn't seem to be around as much as it used to. I put some of that down to the meditation i've been practicing, works wonders for my anxiety

Hope all are well out there, I hope to catch up on posts soon!

GOOD WORK FEBBIES!
KEEP IT UP!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Some of you will remember that back in May I had to have a blood transfusion because I was severely anemic. I was also deficient in Vitamin B12 and was told to take supplements daily. I had blood work done last week and got the results today - Iron is in the top of the normal range for the first time in probably 15 years and my Vitamin B12 is back in range as well! NONE of this would have happened if I had not stopped drinking. I hate to think of where I would have been had I not finally gone to the doctor as my iron was dangerously low.

So when you're having a crappy day or those thoughts of drinking try to sneak in, just remember how much healthier we all are without that poison in our system!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hey peeps,

I'll have to catch up with you all tomorrow but I wanted to share this little video real quick. It's so sad but it's so familiar too.

A Cute Bird Develops a Taste for Mysterious Nuggets in a Bittersweet Animated Allegory of Addiction
Old 11-21-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Working crazy long hours now (so much for 4 day work weeks) but Cass, so happy for you. Thank you for the reminder. I'm with you. We are all so much better off!

My reminder. . . My worst day sober pales in comparison to my best day hungover.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
Hey peeps,

I'll have to catch up with you all tomorrow but I wanted to share this little video real quick. It's so sad but it's so familiar too.

A Cute Bird Develops a Taste for Mysterious Nuggets in a Bittersweet Animated Allegory of Addiction
Wow. So sad and so true. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
Hey peeps,

Very familiar - sadly, way too familiar for me, too.

Thank God, it is a familiarity of the PAST.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Oh my word Lulu that sent shivers down my spine!

Casinva GREAT NEWS, good work!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DiggingIn;

My reminder. . . My worst day sober pales in comparison to my best day hungover.[/QUOTE]

And to think we thought we couldn't live without the poison. What WERE we thinking!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Casinva- That's great news! I think sometimes we forget that wonderful added bonus of being healthier now that we don't drink anymore. It's such a gift! I hope you're feeling better now. I'll bet you were feeling pretty crummy with that anemia and b12 deficiency.

DI- "My reminder. . . My worst day sober pales in comparison to my best day hungover". I couldn't agree with this more.

LS- That does sound like a pretty crazy incident at work! Good thing you were there to help!

Hello to Glee, dsober, SL, Torn and everyone else!!!!

We are here in San Antonio. We traveled all day yesterday and today we took a long walk on the river walk. There is booze everywhere, but none of it really interests me. In fact, it makes me nauseated to look at it. I'm still really tired and that's part of the reason I haven't been doing a very good job keeping up. There's a light at the end of the tunnel though. Plus, I'm just really grateful that the reason I'm so tired is because of my little blessing.

Every once in a while I get a tiny feeling of want for some alcoholic drink I see, but then I realize it isn't really the drink I want. For example, today I walked past a bar and I thought "gosh, it'd be nice to just sit there and have a drink, wouldn't it?" Then I realized 1. the thought of alcohol made me want to barf 2. I needed a rest 3. I was thirsty. Isn't it interesting how our AV can just sneak in there still? It's so powerful isn't it? I mean really, I think it knew I was thirsty and tired before I did and it just went ahead and inserted itself into that thought before I even realized it. It obviously lives in the very primitive part of the brain. I just consider that part of my brain short circuited. It blew a fuse some time ago and now thinks that I somehow need alcohol to survive. Maybe that sounds crazy... oh wait! I am crazy!

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well. I'll be thinking of you all!