Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 11

Old 05-25-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Sorry, long post from my phone never goes well! Got the new Fitbit last week, just trying to start out by walking more. I'm in no shape to try to jog yet! I do want to look and feel like I did 5 years ago. Ugh. It's always something! :-)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

That's how I started DI. I just worked on fitbit steps goals, then moved on to couch to 5k. I also repeated a few weeks on running plan. If I go too fast or aggressive, I get shin splints, and my heel spur triggers. Nice and slow for no injuries. Cause injuries will put everything to a halt.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Torn, you sound great!!! As for the cravings, they're sneaky little sh*ts, aren't they? I find they sneak in there when I'm overly stressed. I think it's more of a knee jerk reaction and my mind turns to "Oh, wouldn't a glass of wine be great right now!" Then like you, I start playing the tape of all the reasons why that wouldn't be a good idea (Number One being it was never just one glass of wine )

This past weekend we were staying at a hotel and there was a girl's travel soccer group staying there. Their rooms were located in the hallway closest to the pool area so we had to walk by them going to and from the pool. Sunday as I was walking by one of the rooms, the door was open as housekeeping was cleaning and I noticed 2 empty wine bottles sitting on the dresser. I couldn't help but think of what those people must have felt like that morning when they got up to go off to watch their kid play soccer. I SO don't miss those days AT ALL. That's what pushes me through *those* moments.

DI, I can relate to the weight thing. I actually lost a bit of weight when I first stopped drinking but it's slowly creeping back on and it's not pretty. Ironically enough, I was doing great exercising over the winter when it was 5 degrees outside and now that the weather is warmer, I slacked off. This past weekend playing tennis was TOUGH for me, lol. I need to look into getting a Fitbit. That will surely motivate me, right? One can only hope!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Torn - You sound so good! It's great to hear from you and see you're living sober. I know it's not easy to do when living with someone who's drinking. It's hard to change your inner life when your outer life looks the same. I try to remember that just because other people can live happy, productive lives when they drink doesn't mean that I can. If I forget that, all I need to do is play the tape through. I also am creating a sober life for myself by participating in AA. I find it is good to have sober activities besides ones where I need to be a good sport around people who are drinking.

I've been taking care of myself by regularly attending AA and Al Anon meetings. I'm going even when it's inconvenient because of the kids' activities, even when I'm tired after a long day. Im keeping in touch with people in the programs and working with a sponsor who I like and respect.

DI - I think it's great that you're taking action on your health and fitness. I'm right there along with you. I'm framing it in my mind differently now that I'm sober and in recovery than I did when I was drinking. With this paradigm shift I find that I am no longer beating myself up for losing fitness, or scrambling to get back the fitness I used to have. Instead I forgive myself for getting myself to this point physically - love myself today - and am working towards health and fitness that's appropriate just for today. It's a far cry from my fitness of one, two, or three years ago, but it's ok.

I guess I try to apply recovery principles to all areas of my life. It's like practicing for a big game. I've got to keep practicing these tools so I have them at my disposal when I need them! I can't emphasize enough how much more work I have to do, but the experience, strength, and hope given by people with long lengths of recovery keeps me working at it. Dee is a great example on SR!

I hope everyone's doing well!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi Gang,

Im back.

was doing ok got 11 months sober then decided I could drink. Met a lady I liked and sort if started drinking to be with her. Took maybe a week and I was back to drinking every day taking sick days from work. Drinking all day on tue weekends and having hair if the dog the whole mess.

So anyway in the middle of all this my HP was still helping me and I converted to Roman Catholic which for ne is a good fit.

I broke it iff with the girl yesterday didnt botuer me much just told her I had a drinking problem and needed to get sober. It was amicable.

So im six days sober.

Cheers all
G
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi Gazza; great to see you.

I am glad that you made it to 11 months; you know that you can do this; you have already proven it to yourself.

Things have been a little quiet on the Febbies thread but some do post now and then.

How are you feeling?
Old 06-09-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for what happened but it's good you're back Gazza - good to see you

D
Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Gazza - I'm sorry for what you've been through. It's great to have you back. Way to go on 6 days!!

Last night at AA people were discussing going back out. They all thought they'd be able to have a few drinks, be ok. Yet they were not just back at the terrible place that alcohol had taken them before; when they finally came back they were in worse condition than ever. Those were the ones who made it back.

Alcoholism plays for keeps. It wants to kill me, and will settle for making me miserable til it succeeds. Working my program of recovery thoroughly and diligently helps me stay away from the first drink. There are many paths to sobriety and recovery, and that it's so important to stay on the path you've chosen.

It sounds like moving on from the drinker was a healthy choice that'll keep you on your path to recovery.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Welcome home Gazza. It's good to have you back.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Welcome home, Gazza. Congrats on 6 days! I'm glad you're back!!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Wait. Is it REALLY possible that no posts have been made to this thread since 6/10, or did I miss one of the continuation threads?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this is still the current thread Bob - maybe folks are out living great sober lives - I dunno

D
Old 06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

checking in hope everyone is good. Im still sober a few more days and it will be a month.

Doing three AA meetings a week and a bit if catholic stuff ( mass, meditation and prayer) lines up nicely with the steps really.

starting to feel better but need to quit coffee as I think it makes me anxious which increases my cravings.

Staying away from dating in the last 20 years all my full relapses have been based in some way on relationship problems. They say its best to stay out of relationships if you're single for the first year. when you think im already a 1/12 of the way its not really a big ask.

take care all.
G
Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear you're doing ok Gazza

D
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Glad you're doing well Gazza.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Gazza - It's nice to hear from you. I'm glad that you're finding a path to sobriety that addresses the obstacles you've faced in dating. Great job closing in on a month sober. Good work!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Keep hanging in there Gazza. We may be a quiet thread now, but I know several of us check in still even if we don't post.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Still enough action here to get to a new part guys:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-12-a.html

D