# 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in as well

D
Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

fools!

whats up?!

There are so many of you who haven't posted lately that I'm starting to worry... Mariah, apple, KITTEN?!!, rock, ST...

miss you stormi!

and always wonder how okra's doin'.

I always enjoy hearing about ALL the fools...

Even if you're struggling, post about it!

I'm off to dinner w my in-laws. They have a habit of coming in and spoiling us for the weekend. can't complain.

I'm in for the bargain too .
Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Count me in too.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I'm in also. After 3 days of AV nagging me I hope it will die down for the rest of the weekend.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

I'm in for the fools bargain. The cravings have only just started to come back....aaaahhhhh!!!! But on day 14 or so. I guess that's about two weeks then.

omg I want to driiiiiiiinnnnnkkkk!!!! BUT NO!!

Ok I'll stop arguing with myself here, ahhh.....aaaaaarrrrggghhhh.........*breathes*

Someone mentioned the full moon?? Yes, it was beautiful!! And now today it's rainy and cold and dark. But I'm ok with that. I just hope it doesn't turn into SAD. I'm trying the whole "not drinking for 50 days" thing and it's one of the only things stopping me from drinking right now.....

In other news, I'm already excited for Christmas!! I was the day after Halloween, ahaha...
Old 11-07-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm in! Almost three weeks now. Feeling CRAZY, but haven't drank
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

go you guys - good to hear from you Izzy, Up, Chick Rocks and Luc

D
Old 11-07-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Luc, I'm also looking forward to Christmas, kind of.

It will be the first Christmas that my family have ever come round to me. It will be definitely be memorable for one reason or another. I'm a tea total vegan, and the rest of my family are huge meat eaters and like a drink with their meal (not heavy drinkers thank goodness).
There's a couple of the men who don't get on particularly well, and I'm usually the peacemaker. However this year I'll be preparing the meal so they will be left to their own devices quite a bit. My OH is not happy about the prospect (he likes to be left alone at Christmas). My parents are getting older and are not in great health so it may be our last Christmas together.

If I wasn't sober, I'd be dreading this, but I'm actually interested to see how it all pans out.
I intend to plan it like a military operation. Leaving nothing to chance. It will be so different from my Christmases over the past 10 years which were basically drowned in alcohol. Drinking the day away, what a waste.

Any tips gratefully received!

Have a great start to the weekend everyone.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

free- I'm dealing with something kind of similar. My kids are disappointed also that we won't be home (and haven't been for a few years) for Christmas day. So, I figured it might help to have some traditions that we celebrate together before we leave and then to have some gifts left to open when we return home.

Like you, we also have family that isn't in the best health so we feel like it's best to do what it takes to be together...

I'd suggest that you maybe have something special planned for you and your husband before your parents get there and then possibly something to look forward to after they leave? Also, make sure you have a plan for some stress relievers in case you need it. So sad that the holidays can be so stressful!

And, think ahead of time about what would make it a special Christmas for you !(you have something extra to celebrate this year!).
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Checking in.....has been a busy week & internet limited here at home. Good to see every ones posts.....signing up for the fools bargain....I'm jumping on board. I'm doing OK....still have not drank (87 days) ......really, really wanted to this week....even googled how long after stopping antabuse before you can drink. Crazy thinking, really.

So, this morning I am headed to my Moms cabin in the woods with my Mom & Son....2 of my 3 older brothers & my Sis & her husband/kids. We are all getting together to re-roof there. The location of the cabin is only about 20 miles down river from town, but is in the Wild & Scenic Rogue Wilderness, secluded on the top of a mountain. The property has been in our family for over 100 years, with my Great Grandpa owning & operating a placer mine just down river from where the cabin is. My Dear Dad grew up down there....living in a little miners cabin, hunting the mountain with his dog. I have been missing him much lately....He passed away 10 years ago this December...He was a great Dad....a good friend. This place was special to him & so is to all of us too. Will be good to have all of us together today & I plan on sneaking off for a quiet walk in the woods

Have a great day Fools
Old 11-08-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

That's cool y'all have so much labor on that new roof Mariah, ....sounds like a good time !
Your dad must have been a great dad.

Freein, ...with so many people, our family holidays require we all pitch in and bring stuff. Our " huge meat eaters " always get those assignments ,...since we've got more experience , and all !?!

You hosting a Holiday gathering for the first time is a big deal, .... congrats !!!
Folks sometimes think the holidays are a great time to practice some gluttony, so having several plates of hors d'oeuvres plus some cookies and all that sweet stuff ( like pies and cakes layed out ) that trigger even more overeating is great,....plus plenty of wine you pour !!! Ask your OH to do his level best not to let anyone's glass get too low !

Think of all a little like fattening livestock and keeping them liking it. < smiling >

If you don't have them, ..remind folks to bring some containers to take home all the meat, etc. and leftover sweets you don't want to be staring at after they leave too !
You have more important things to be doing sober the day after Christmas, ...like jumping rope and such.

As long as those dudes understand they have to take any rough necking outside and it's understood holiday gatherings are no place to bring a knife or gun to, ..with your newfound sober flexibility , ....y'all should have a great time !!

Izzy, ...I really empathize with your kids !
Oh, ...y'all don't make any long bets on folks in bad health kicking the bucket anytime soon, .... that kind of thinking has a way of backfiring for 10 or 15 years !? < smiling big >

Dee, ...congrats on 99 mate !!!!

I hope these holidays bring everyone counting days and hanging on for dear life a sort of psychic change, ....time sober just takes time imho. It's gotten easier and easier for me, ( even with all the BS that life seems to throw at me from time to time ) and I'm totally confident it will for each and everyone here.

The speaker last night had described some really tough circumstances he was dealing with the last 3 years, ...after being sober for some 30+ years, .....and when he was initially thinking " why me ? " ....a dear friend ask him, " why not you ? "

That really got me thinking about how I shouldn't let my sobriety be contingent on any rough patches in life, ...since they'll probably be coming along anyway apparently. It's just life, and all .

Thank goodness this is my last Sat. nightshift of 2014 to be working. It seems almost sacrilegious to be working twice on Sundays !??

Got a feeling I may make some big changes next year, ...or not.

lo
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good luck with the roof Mariah. I agree with top, that's a lot of labor.

Hope you all have a great holiday season.
I can't wait for it to be next year.

Have a great day and great weekend.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Thank you for the suggestions Izzy and Tops. That's really helpful, and funny! I'll definitely use your suggestions.

Mariah, how wonderful to have the cabin. It sounds idyllic, just the kind of place I'd love to retreat to. I have a relaxation tape that uses a cabin as a visualisation, it always leaves me feeling peaceful and rested. To have a real life cabin is a blessing, I'm so pleased you're able to enjoy it with your family.

UP, I'm also looking forward to 2015. However, I'm going to have to think up some new New Years resolutions for January 1st, because for the last umpteen years I've resolved to give up drinking. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore because it's already done. How great that is, to have succeeded with a big resolution before New Years Day. Not many people can do that, but we all have.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

top- dang you're funny. I empathize w my kiddos too. Im just trying to have a good attitude about it!

Mariah- hope you have a great time. Sorry that you're missing your dad.

hope everyone's having a great weekend.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

All is well here, though I'm kind of losing steam with work. I leave for Texas on Tuesday, but won't set up my wares until Sunday, so I can still get some stuff done there, it will just require traveling with tools and materials, which can be kind of a pain. I'll also be visiting my sister and her family there, and I'd rather spend time with them than work.
One of the best things about my occupation is that I'll be vending all 3 days of Thanksgiving weekend, and will be vending most of Christmas Eve, after which I'll have to break down the booth I'll have had set up for nearly 6 weeks, so that gets me out of having to travel for either holiday. My daughter will come here for Christmas, and we usually have a couple people over for dinner that night, but it's very low key and low pressure. I really don't like having to travel during the holidays, so it works for me.
Freein, I have a really good recipe for a vegan holiday main course, if you want it, let me know. I used to have a natural foods restaurant, and we took orders for pre made holiday meals for people to pick up. I've probably made several hundred vegan holiday meals...
Christmas still seems a long way off to me. I have a lot of work to do between now and then, so I need it to seem that way.
Topspin, I like your techniques for managing family during the holidays. My diet is so restricted these days that holiday gluttony isn't really possible any more, but I can still watch. I will definitely miss stuffing myself on Thanksgiving, but it's worth the sacrifice to be free of asthma, arthritis and digestive problems.
Luc, Full spectrum light bulbs and even daylight mimicking compact fluorescent bulbs are helpful for preventing SAD, so are big doses of vitamin D3. We can go 6 months without seeing the sun here, so it becomes an issue for a lot of people.
Up, your words are, once again, very inspiring, thank you.
Izzy, I think it's a good idea to come up with some traditions for your family for the day after Christmas, if you have to be away for the holiday itself. Maybe if you treat it like an extended holiday, rather than one the don't get to spend at home, they will feel better about it.
Mariah, be careful on that roof, and enjoy the weekend. I hope you have a wonderful walk in the woods. 87 days is fantastic, and I know you can keep going.
Rocks, 3 weeks is a big deal. It will be an entire month before you know it. I know you can keep going, too.
Chick, I hope you're weekend is going well, and that you've been able to silence your AV.
I hope all is well, Applekat. I used to love the snow when I lived in Saratoga. It's so beautiful up there. I bet your kids were thrilled.
Solitary, I hope you're doing ok.
Dee, I love your new signature graphic. That's one of my all time favorite lyrics.
Take care, everyone.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Adna, it's hard to keep up with you! Thank you, I would like some info on your vegan holiday dishes, but I don't want to add to your already full schedule!
I know that Thanksgiving is also a big holiday in the US. So you guys have to go through this big meal thing twice, fortunately it's only once a year for us in the UK.

Hope your travelling goes well Adna.

Izzy, you're right about having something else to celebrate this year, being free from the prison of addiction has been the best gift I could possibly give myself, and those around me. I can concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas, without all of the additional problems that alcohol causes.

ST, how's it going? When do you get the keys for your new place?

I have Sunday at home today, lovely.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Adna - happy travelling

enjoy your sunday Freein

D
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Hey I'm doing really well guys sorry I haven't posted I was in the forest all weekend and my phone was dead, not too many electric outlets in the middle of nowhere Marryland lol....i had a really intense (non drug induced) mental experience when I was out there, I spent a lot of time thinking without distractions....I'm gonna be ok....I'm gonna be just fine....I had an amazing therapy session when I got home from my trip and they gave me something to help me sleep more soundly, I would sleep 2-3 hours and be wide awake, the two medications together are safe and have really been helping, I have been on Prozac for a month now and that's usually how long those type of things take to work to their full potential...i really am trying EVER SO hard to look at things in a different way, and it's working...I still have the sad thoughts and that pain in my chest but I'm learning how to push the feeling away, sadness is not a place to camp out, I keep telling myself that....getting the apartment too that was a huge weight lifted off my chest, it's adding a sense of stability on my life, a new step and new chapter...my fiancé is more excited then I am, she's looking forward to decorating and has already started shopping for stuff...these past 3 days I've felt really friggen good, and not for any particular reason honestly, just a combo of things working out for me (for once lol)
I'm feeling optimistic and like myself a bit more, not some death obsessed bag of sadness walking around and mindlessly working...I appriciate this new feeling, it's amazing not getting out of bed and completely dreading the day that's about to come...I'm loving myself and life a bit more guys, and it's for real, not some loony rant of mine...I feel a bit better for the first time sense I started going to therapy...also I have a friend addicted to heroin and he said my journey thru the medical field has inspired him and he went to a facility upstate NY to get clean, which is amazing to me, he is my best guy friend and I was worried about him...I miss him but I know it's for a good cause...anyway I'm going great and out of 10 I'm feeling like a 7 probably...months ago I would say I was at a 1 or 2 lol....it's not just one thing, and I was looking for a quick answer to a big problem...patience and persistence is gonna take me places in this world....I'll be active again on the forums again now that I'm back in civilization lol...
Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Someone told me an amazing saying that stuck with me....don't use your past as a couch, but as a trampoline
Old 11-09-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
Someone told me an amazing saying that stuck with me....don't use your past as a couch, but as a trampoline
Oh, that's great, I can use that too!

Great to hear things are going well for you ST.
I think most of us girls enjoy a new home more so than the boys, I think it's about "nest building". This is an exciting time for you both, it's lovely to see.