Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 8

Old 10-01-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober808 View Post
Hi Team A-
I have been following from a distance. Proud and inspired from all the success. Plus the amazing ones who got right back up to fight again! I hope I can jump back in. Day 12.
It's 11pm here so time to catch some ZZZs. Happy sober hump day!
Hi Sober. Welcome back
Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes. Absolutely 100 percent grateful for my sober journey so far.

I may battle with the AV, but I have not missed alcohol at all. I hated myself when I drank. It turned me into a hopeless, pathetic, miserable soul. I was so sick of feeling like a hamster in a wheel. Same predictable actions....drink, get hammered, hate myself, hangover, hate myself even more, resolve to stopdrinking, buy a bottle five hours later....Ugh. Alcohol is a serious addiction. As bad as heroin I have been told

So grateful to be sober.

My double chin is gone. I have to tighten my belt by another two notches.I am running and my heart is thanking me. My liver is thanking me!. I am thanking me!! lol

( skipping along the street with a big grin on my face)

My skin looks much much better. I am calmer.

The benefits outway the negatives by far!!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Feeling the effects of the botox working. My eyebrows are starting to lift. lol
Old 10-01-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

@Rah. A tummy tuck? Is that under a local anathetic? Gosh you are gonna look great afterwards.
Here's an incentive Rah. Drinking alcohol before an op is a no no. It will make the recovery more difficult
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,
Restless checking in. Sorry it's been so long, been flat out, exhausted and without phone/internet.
All is well in my world, I am on day 47, which is my second longest ever. Doing AA and went to the psychologist today. Got the same question from both, why do you think you drink? Does anybody know why they drink? I have no idea (yet again)!
I'm currently struggling with step 2! I'm off to the spirituality section to try and suss out a higher power who would be interested in helping me sort my sh!t out.
Good to see you guys getting yourselves the sober lives you deserve.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober808 View Post
Hi Team A-
I have been following from a distance. Proud and inspired from all the success. Plus the amazing ones who got right back up to fight again! I hope I can jump back in. Day 12.
It's 11pm here so time to catch some ZZZs. Happy sober hump day!
Welcome Back- and congratulations on double-digits!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by restlessanon View Post
Hey Guys,
Restless checking in. Sorry it's been so long, been flat out, exhausted and without phone/internet.
All is well in my world, I am on day 47, which is my second longest ever. Doing AA and went to the psychologist today. Got the same question from both, why do you think you drink? Does anybody know why they drink? I have no idea (yet again)!
I'm currently struggling with step 2! I'm off to the spirituality section to try and suss out a higher power who would be interested in helping me sort my sh!t out.
Great to hear from you! Terrific work with day 47!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Congrats to all hitting milestones.

I hope I will be sober one year next August. I am not worried about holidays; I am worried about dull, boring routine days which is when I think I am most likely to slip up.

Why did I drink? I like the taste, crave the relaxed feeling; beer and wine were my best friends - they occupied my time. The days are much longer without them.

Why do I never want to drink again? That horrible sick feeling of being hungover, barely able to move, the crazy thoughts all night long, the heart-pounding, head swirling times wondering who I phoned, texted or emailed...Thinking about what I have done to my body.

I checked a few pages on the August, 2013 thread. Not one entry I read was about the AV ! ! People were talking about vacations, knitting projects, recipes, etc.

Today I am working a charity luncheon - - for $10.00 people taste as many as 20 soups and vote on their favorite, which is then included in a calendar for next year. I made a spicy soup with Italian sausage. Two years ago my chili won the annual contest. Last year I did not participate - I canceled the day before because I was too drunk to cook. I emailed that I had a family emergency and would not be able to participate.......I hate thinking of those things!

Have a safe, sober, happy day my friends!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by restlessanon View Post
Hey Guys,
well done Restless!!

Hmm why do I drink? Cause I like feeling wasted. I like escaping from the world. Cant think of anything
Old 10-01-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Good morning,

Congrats to all hitting milestones.

I hope I will be sober one year next August. I am not worried about holidays; I am worried about dull, boring routine days which is when I think I am most likely to slip up.

Why did I drink? I like the taste, crave the relaxed feeling; beer and wine were my best friends - they occupied my time. The days are much longer without them.

Why do I never want to drink again? That horrible sick feeling of being hungover, barely able to move, the crazy thoughts all night long, the heart-pounding, head swirling times wondering who I phoned, texted or emailed...Thinking about what I have done to my body.

I checked a few pages on the August, 2013 thread. Not one entry I read was about the AV ! ! People were talking about vacations, knitting projects, recipes, etc.

Today I am working a charity luncheon - - for $10.00 people taste as many as 20 soups and vote on their favorite, which is then included in a calendar for next year. I made a spicy soup with Italian sausage. Two years ago my chili won the annual contest. Last year I did not participate - I canceled the day before because I was too drunk to cook. I emailed that I had a family emergency and would not be able to participate.......I hate thinking of those things!

Have a safe, sober, happy day my friends!
Scooter I love chili! Your soup sounds delicious. Gosh I am getting hungry.

I cancelled out on a charity 5km run because I was too hungover. This time I intend to run it
Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank because I wanted to escape - escape feelings, escape pain, escape self loathing...escape an inconvenient reality...

Several people said to me over the course of the decades that the only time they ever saw me relax was when I was drunk or stoned.

The tragedy for me was that alcohol and pot worked so well for me in the beginning I spent nearly 30 years trying to get them to work so well again.

I missed out on a lot of normal growing up things...problem solving, dealing healthily with pain, sadness, boredom and grief as well as never learning how to celebrate without getting wasted.

Not knowing that stuff just made me turn to the bottle more and more.

I think working out why we drank is vital - knowing why can help us work out how to stay sober....but it takes a bit of digging sometimes...

All of this is from hindsight. I had no real idea of my motivations when I quit either.

I think in time you guys will get to a deeper understanding than 'I drank cos I liked it', or because 'I was an alcoholic'

D
Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Dee, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly right, drinking provided an escape from living life. And because it became such a habit for me, I never saw the reality of that . Or wanted to.
Sober, welcome back.
Restlness, congrats on your days. And Calichrs too, & anyone else hitting that mark.
I'm working on day 4 today. So Cute, I'm only 1 day behind you.
Sending out good thoughts, strength, and soberness today, for all of team A.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Dee74, you're bang on.

I stopped drinking on the 1st of August, so it's a 2 month milestone for me.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats celestialwaves

D
Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good to see you here restless and well done on 47days!

Why did I drink? It reminds me of the scene in 'Leaving Las Vegas' when the alcoholic is advised: 'maybe you shouldn't drink so much' and he replies 'Maybe I shouldn't breathe so much either', it really struck a chord with me, at times it wasn't a want for me it was a need like breathing.

I drank to deal with life and to curb my racing brain, to ignore my obsessions and generally escape living. When I was in a pub with the jukebox blaring I felt like I was 'safe' from the world outside, it was like being in a haven away from the alien normies who were strolling through life.

Why don't I drink now? Because it was killing me, physically and mentally, like Dee posted I couldn't find the buzz in it anymore, I was continually trying to get to a place which didn't exist anymore but in my mind it did, I was convinced that the next drink would 'take me there' but it never did, it just brought black out and then the misery of withdrawal. I don't drink because I want to find the real me as hard as that can be at times.

Ive drank on things that other people have lived through so I haven't got the life skills that other people have, its like Im emotionally 15 again in a 33yr olds body (which explains my mood swings!).

A guy I went to school with told me this a while ago and at the time I took great offense but now I understand what he meant, he said 'you know life is like ploughing a field but you left the plough to do other more enjoyable things (drink), while the rest of us were still out on the field'. Well Ive been putting off going back to the plough for years but now, although my friends are all in the distance, at least Im making a start.

Sorry guys, went off on one then, just getting over the sickness bug and just coming back to the land of the living!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well done on 2months celestial!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Yes. Absolutely 100 percent grateful for my sober journey so far. I may battle with the AV, but I have not missed alcohol at all. I hated myself when I drank. It turned me into a hopeless, pathetic, miserable soul. I was so sick of feeling like a hamster in a wheel. Same predictable actions....drink, get hammered, hate myself, hangover, hate myself even more, resolve to stopdrinking, buy a bottle five hours later....Ugh. Alcohol is a serious addiction. As bad as heroin I have been told So grateful to be sober. My double chin is gone. I have to tighten my belt by another two notches.I am running and my heart is thanking me. My liver is thanking me!. I am thanking me!! lol ( skipping along the street with a big grin on my face) My skin looks much much better. I am calmer. The benefits outway the negatives by far!!
Sing it Knb!! Well said!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I drank because I wanted to escape - escape feelings, escape pain, escape self loathing...escape an inconvenient reality...

Several people said to me over the course of the decades that the only time they ever saw me relax was when I was drunk or stoned.

The tragedy for me was that alcohol and pot worked so well for me in the beginning I spent nearly 30 years trying to get them to work so well again.

I missed out on a lot of normal growing up things...problem solving, dealing healthily with pain, sadness, boredom and grief as well as never learning how to celebrate without getting wasted.

Not knowing that stuff just made me turn to the bottle more and more.

I think working out why we drank is vital - knowing why can help us work out how to stay sober....but it takes a bit of digging sometimes...

All of this is from hindsight. I had no real idea of my motivations when I quit either.

I think in time you guys will get to a deeper understanding than 'I drank cos I liked it', or because 'I was an alcoholic'

D
Gosh I just love your posts Dee. You are so inspiring to me ;-)
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by celestialwaves View Post
Dee74, you're bang on.

I stopped drinking on the 1st of August, so it's a 2 month milestone for me.
Well done!!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Good to see you here restless and well done on 47days!

Why did I drink? It reminds me of the scene in 'Leaving Las Vegas' when the alcoholic is advised: 'maybe you shouldn't drink so much' and he replies 'Maybe I shouldn't breathe so much either', it really struck a chord with me, at times it wasn't a want for me it was a need like breathing.

I drank to deal with life and to curb my racing brain, to ignore my obsessions and generally escape living. When I was in a pub with the jukebox blaring I felt like I was 'safe' from the world outside, it was like being in a haven away from the alien normies who were strolling through life.

Why don't I drink now? Because it was killing me, physically and mentally, like Dee posted I couldn't find the buzz in it anymore, I was continually trying to get to a place which didn't exist anymore but in my mind it did, I was convinced that the next drink would 'take me there' but it never did, it just brought black out and then the misery of withdrawal. I don't drink because I want to find the real me as hard as that can be at times.

Ive drank on things that other people have lived through so I haven't got the life skills that other people have, its like Im emotionally 15 again in a 33yr olds body (which explains my mood swings!).

A guy I went to school with told me this a while ago and at the time I took great offense but now I understand what he meant, he said 'you know life is like ploughing a field but you left the plough to do other more enjoyable things (drink), while the rest of us were still out on the field'. Well Ive been putting off going back to the plough for years but now, although my friends are all in the distance, at least Im making a start.

Sorry guys, went off on one then, just getting over the sickness bug and just coming back to the land of the living!
Grreat read. Thanks 1step