Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 8

Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
I'll be around next August. With great humility I affirm the following:

In August 2015 I have enjoyed the benefits of being alcohol free for over a year and am excited to begin my final three months of training for my Ultra Marathon.
Ultra- great statement of conviction. If you are like me, by putting something down in writing like this, it really solidifies the goal.

Well done!!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the Choobie Family gets well soon

D
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by restlessanon View Post
Hey Guys,
Restless checking in. Sorry it's been so long, been flat out, exhausted and without phone/internet.
All is well in my world, I am on day 47, which is my second longest ever. Doing AA and went to the psychologist today. Got the same question from both, why do you think you drink? Does anybody know why they drink? I have no idea (yet again)!
I'm currently struggling with step 2! I'm off to the spirituality section to try and suss out a higher power who would be interested in helping me sort my sh!t out.
Good to see you guys getting yourselves the sober lives you deserve.
Restless, thanks for bringing up this topic on why we drink. It elicited some thoughtful responses from Scooter, knb, Dee, 1step and grateful. I saw myself in most of these responses, and the others said it more eloquently than I could, so Thanks! Gives me a lot to think about.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober808 View Post
Hi Team A-
I have been following from a distance. Proud and inspired from all the success. Plus the amazing ones who got right back up to fight again! I hope I can jump back in. Day 12.
It's 11pm here so time to catch some ZZZs. Happy sober hump day!
808, good to have you back. Keep posting. Let us know how you are doing.

By the way, love the reference to the Hawai'i area code in your name!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

We have been doing some heavy lifting around here lately on various topics.

So, I thought we could use a little humor on our favorite challenge that is currently in front of us, so... Bob Newhart-Stop It - YouTube
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks Glandon. I needed that. So funny!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey folks

Early morning London Town and ready for some work. Only two days to get through and then it's the weekend.

I was reading the posts on 'Stoptober' this morning. This is a great way for me to say that I have stopped drinking at work to colleagues etc. I have a couple of client dinners coming up that I have been worried about. Maybe then at the end of the month, god willing, I can say - I like this not drinking, going to continue.

Believe me, I would love to come clean at work but in my industry it's not an option to admit this illness, addiction. That's how I feel now anyway - I am hoping a day at a time to get to the stage where I don't give two hoots what others think. Working on the fear of what others think of me, as it's a big part of previous drinking.

Morning share done! Wishing everyone a peaceful and sober day today.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I quit I told everyone...I figured it was obvious anyway...

I wish now I hadn't because it turns out I worried people (ironically at the very point they didn't need to worry)

Just like I'm sure diabetics or epileptics don't feel the need to announce their disease along with their name, these days I see my alcoholism as a private thing.

I'm not ashamed of it and I will use it in situations where appropriate, but otherwise I figure 'it's not all about me'

D
Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

good morning folks, great pots London and dee :-)

Happy 5 weeks to me today :-D am going to celebrate by going to work......oh and buying me a big bunch of flowers and booking myself onto an indian cookery course :-)
5 weeks! EEK!!
have a great day all xxx much love xxx
Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Pink

D
Old 10-02-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

D great post...I brought up "why we drink" at Group today (I am on week 2 for outpatient group therapy for addiction. Really going way out of comfort zone).
1step...I am with you on curbing our racing brain and love Leaving Las Vegas!
Ps. My fave is When a Man Loves a Women". Meg Ryan is awesome. It really shows the difficulty of partner/spouse of an addict to relate to and understand the addict seeking sobriety.
Cute...day 4 or day 66...it is just you taking on the challenge again but this time better equipped for day 67 and above!
And dingo happy b day!!!
Apple, knb, pink and Ultra...thanks for the 1 yr goals...something to plan on for sure!
calichris, restless, cwaves...congrats!!!
Scooter...we should take a minute and think where were we a yr ago or prior to August. My 14 yr wedding anniversary was last Tuesday. First anniversary ever sober.
Grateful...coping is a skill I need to learn as well.
London...coming clean will be very liberating I bet.
And Team A...it feels good to be back.
Alohas
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's good to see you back 808

D
Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Congrats pink! Blackbird, I am with you on the October thing, best time of year by far. Nice not to be a drunken pumpkin!

London I get the coworker thing. I have been to a few and have a happy hour thing coming up. I said that I have made a few changes in my life, removing beer was one of them. I got the come on dude, one beer seriously? I replied, you don't understand, I wrote it in my goal planner dude, once something makes to there, that is it! They laughed and that was that.

Bottom line though, I honestly don't give a &@$& what anyone thinks. They would be the first to talk behind my back if I had too many, so let them talk about my not having any. Hey, that rhymed. Seriously, let's be willing to be socially awkward and refuse to be ashamed of taking a stand against a ridiculous and dangerous custom. Just because you are one and they are many does not make them right. Loud and proud team A!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Happy birthday dingo!! Day 4, feeling better today. Went for a walk today at lunch and went for a walk after dinner w my husband. Finally feeling better physically. Wish I was like most of you who were starting their second month. Congrats to you all!
Small steps Rah. One day at a time.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dingodog View Post
It says, this year Libra , is a time to let go of things that no longer serve you. Hold onto things that have a future. And let go of the things holding you back.
Wow, how true is all of that? Hits home. Nice reading. And very inspirational.
Thanks again team for the support, and bday wishes.
Well that relates to me too. I need to let go of the things holding me back! I am very good at hoarding old emotions. Time to let things go and do a bit of spring cleaning in my head.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glandon View Post
We have been doing some heavy lifting around here lately on various topics.

So, I thought we could use a little humor on our favorite challenge that is currently in front of us, so... Bob Newhart-Stop It - YouTube
Ha Ha that make me laugh. If only it were that straightforward.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey folks

Early morning London Town and ready for some work. Only two days to get through and then it's the weekend.

I was reading the posts on 'Stoptober' this morning. This is a great way for me to say that I have stopped drinking at work to colleagues etc. I have a couple of client dinners coming up that I have been worried about. Maybe then at the end of the month, god willing, I can say - I like this not drinking, going to continue.

Believe me, I would love to come clean at work but in my industry it's not an option to admit this illness, addiction. That's how I feel now anyway - I am hoping a day at a time to get to the stage where I don't give two hoots what others think. Working on the fear of what others think of me, as it's a big part of previous drinking.

Morning share done! Wishing everyone a peaceful and sober day today.
Do you say you have a drink problem sthlondon? I just tell people that I want to get healthy and most people seem okay with that. No one has labelled me as an alcoholic because as I never drank on the job etc etc

But I know I am. I am a functioning alcoholic and always will be no matter how long I stay sober. Me and drink are a lethal combination
Old 10-02-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Congrats pink! Blackbird, I am with you on the October thing, best time of year by far. Nice not to be a drunken pumpkin!

London I get the coworker thing. I have been to a few and have a happy hour thing coming up. I said that I have made a few changes in my life, removing beer was one of them. I got the come on dude, one beer seriously? I replied, you don't understand, I wrote it in my goal planner dude, once something makes to there, that is it! They laughed and that was that.

Bottom line though, I honestly don't give a &@$& what anyone thinks. They would be the first to talk behind my back if I had too many, so let them talk about my not having any. Hey, that rhymed. Seriously, let's be willing to be socially awkward and refuse to be ashamed of taking a stand against a ridiculous and dangerous custom. Just because you are one and they are many does not make them right. Loud and proud team A!
Hear hear! I was never the one to follow crowds anyway.

To be brutally honest I actually feel quite superior when I am around heavy drinkers. It makes me feel really strong inside and gives me a real ego trip!
It also interests me to see the affect of alcohol on a person. Its never a pretty site and only confirms that I am on the right path. Still don't know where I am going as yet but its the right one
Old 10-02-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning class.

My eyebrows have lifted. I look like bloody Spok. Hmm not sure if botox is for me.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Morning all, beautiful day here and Im almost back to normal health-wise, last few days have been testing I must admit, it was like having a hangover at times and my body is still a bit weak but using today to eat healthily again.

I started getting into a weights routine over the last few weeks and was really noticing a difference and felt great, but injured elbow and this sickness bug has put me off course. Im totally all or nothing sort of person (strange for an alcoholic eh?!) and know the time off the weights will give my body time to recover but Im very impatient and know I need to work at this.

If things don't go my way it can feel like everythings against me and I get the old 'whats the use of being sober?' thoughts in my head. Good thing is I haven't drank and don't intend to but wish I wasn't so intense with myself and learn to just relax. Wish I could find the happy medium in my life.

Thanks Knb- your post cheered me up this morning!