Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 8

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
My brother called from Texas to tell me he thinks he is getting a divorce. I have not seen his wife in three years; the last time I saw her I could not stand the way she treated him, and after a few drinks, I mentioned it to her.

Well, my brother was crying on the phone; he wants to go for marriage counseling, she went to a lawyer. They have three children ages 7-10 as he got married later in life.

I listened to him, but did not give advice. I have always considered this wife a snobby bitch, but except for that one time, I have always gone out of my way to be nice to her. She has not been to visit since then, although he comes up several times a year.

He mentioned that the wife keeps bringing up the fact that I argued with her and he did not stand up for her. I know I was (half) wrong; I wrote a long, groveling letter of apology. I send her Christmas and birthday gift cards, and send the kids something for all holidays and their birthdays.

He has now called three times; asked me not to tell our other two brothers and two sisters; he is sobbing in grief; I do not know how to help him. If it was not for the three kids, I would tell him to leave.

I am just so, so, so upset. I dread going to bed as I will just be waiting for the telephone to ring. I am sure he will phone a few more times. I don't know what to say to him. I absolutely hate hearing his despair.

Any advice?

The good thing is I am not drinking. In the past this would have called for a major binge.
Scooter: I agree 100% ("The good thing is I am not drinking. In the past this would have called for a major binge.")
Your #1 priority right now is to protect your sobriety.

As for advice for your brother... you cannot tell him what will fix his marriage. You can however be there as loving support and a sound-board.
Something very valuable I learned from my wife: sometimes she is sad or angry or upset and wants to tell me about it. I used to go right into "fix it" mode and tried to give her all this advice to fix her problems when in actuality she told me later on all she wanted was someone to listen to her vent and just to know I am there for her and will not judge her. I might suggest this approach. Tell him you share in his sadness and may not have the answer but you are there for him for loving family support without judgement.

Wishing you all the best Scooter you deserve happiness and health and it is coming your way with sobriety! Keep us in the loop we are here for you 24/7 !!!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 502 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chris gives good advice Scooter - sometimes people don't approach us to fix stuff...sometimes things cannot be fixed...sometimes people just want a shoulder to cry on.

I understand it's difficult for you tho - does your Brother have anyone else to talk to?

as for you arguing with the wife. I would have done the same thing. Thats not why they're getting divorced, IMO.

D
Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Scooter: I agree 100% ("The good thing is I am not drinking. In the past this would have called for a major binge.")
Your #1 priority right now is to protect your sobriety.

As for advice for your brother... you cannot tell him what will fix his marriage. You can however be there as loving support and a sound-board.
Something very valuable I learned from my wife: sometimes she is sad or angry or upset and wants to tell me about it. I used to go right into "fix it" mode and tried to give her all this advice to fix her problems when in actuality she told me later on all she wanted was someone to listen to her vent and just to know I am there for her and will not judge her. I might suggest this approach. Tell him you share in his sadness and may not have the answer but you are there for him for loving family support without judgement.

Wishing you all the best Scooter you deserve happiness and health and it is coming your way with sobriety! Keep us in the loop we are here for you 24/7 !!!
Thank you so much. I am a wreck; I am fighting tears. I did suggest my brother speak to his doctor, but he did not seem to think that was a good idea. I basically just listened, and told him I loved him. I wish he had phoned one of my brothers, but he and I have always been close. He is the baby of six. I know he will be phoning again; the last time he called he did not know if he was going to spend the night at home or in a motel.

I don't know why anyone in my family who has a problem decides I am the one to tell. I am single, live alone with my dog and cat, should be enjoying my sobriety. Instead I am always on edge, waiting for the other shoe to drop, the phone to ring, someone to need me to vent to.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Chris gives good advice Scooter - sometimes people don't approach us to fix stuff...sometimes things cannot be fixed...sometimes people just want a shoulder to cry on.

I understand it's difficult for you tho - does your Brother have anyone else to talk to?

as for you arguing with the wife. I would have done the same thing. Thats not why they're getting divorced, IMO.

D
I don't know if my brother has anyone else to talk to; he has been in Texas about 20 years. He moved their because his wife is from there. In my opinion, and my two sisters' and two other sisters-in-law, she is very uppity and status-conscious. She lets us all know what she has, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just lost a post...serves me right for doing eleventy seven things at once - but congrats to everyone celebrating a milestone, no matter what it is

time for a new thread too - sorry for the disruption but I have to leave...

please join us here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-9-a.html

D