Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 19

Old 09-27-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi folks a busy few days coming up with moving into a new apartment, some of our stuff is going into storage until next February when we expect to be returning. ( though husband has just informed me he has yet to decide whether to bring me back with him "if I need someone to put an a$$ groove in the sofa I'll bring you" ! I will be relying on you all as character witnesses in my upcoming homicide trial!

Welcome back to returning faces, so happy to see you and hope that you will be around a bit more often now. Jeni I am glad you have survived handing in your notice, it is never a comfortable thing to do but with your longevity in the post and your relationship with your boss, on top of all the other emotional upheaval you have been going through recently, it must have been tough. You should be so proud of yourself the way you have been dealing with everything, so forgiving and loving and gracious.

Talking of Grace, oh how I have missed you! I considered you my personal sponsor in the early days, my early shaky steps on the road to recovery only got stronger and surer because of your constant support and words of wisdom.

MB, I am so relieved for you that your health worries are behind you, I know your concerns were deep. I hope to see you here more too!

Bloss, I see you, are you going to post??

FG how is our niece doing?

Ok Overs I need to Grace other threads with my wonderous presence before getting my lardy our of bed ( where I am keeping a weather eye on the Ryder Cup - never watched it with an Amercian bias before-!)

Have a supersmashinglovely weekend!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
instant

It's not a bad life all up, despite the hiccups.

I think one of my issues is that i overestimate what can be achieved in a day- especially when i procrastinate and can't get started, and just mumble around alledgedly preparing, considering and planning- then its too late to get started. Lol
Old 09-27-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Toots good luck with all the preparations. So anxious for the story of your reunion with Molly.

I was reading this and I think it's worth sharing. I was astounded at how prevalent alcohol abuse is:
Dizzying Stat: 10% of American Adults Down at Least 10 Drinks a Day—Guess Who's Paying | Alternet
Old 09-27-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Instant- I heard somewhere that we always over-estimate what we can do in a day and under-estimate what we can do in a year.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey gang...I got 3 hours left of a 14 hour shift and I can't wait to finish...Straight into the gym after work for a weights session that should take me about an hour and then back home to relax and eat lol..

Great to see Grace posting again..

I hope everyone is well...

Take care....Steve.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
instant

Never heard that DG it sounds about right. i think my other issue is staying on the track rather than getting diverted by side issues and other things that take my interest.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I think the new anti-depressants are starting to work, I had a burst of energy today. Walked to a nice outdoor shopping area about 1 1/2 miles away to go to my Saturday "S" 12 step meeting. Actually volunteered to lead a couple meetings next month. Did a bit of house work for an elderly neighbor and then to lunch with a friend. Then went to a Dixieland Jazz concert at 3PM,featuring a fellow I know. Not real keen on jazz, but it was a light hearted, fun event. THEN went to the burbs to do some shopping and while up north dropped by the airport to catch a glimpse of the newly delivered Air Canada Boeing 787 that is here in KC for pre-service work. Yes, I am a bit of an aviation geek. Stopped by the grocery store to get some items for authentic Hungarian Goulash (not the hamburger and macaroni type... but that is good too!)

Don't count on much from me tomorrow.

Typically a Saturday was lay around and mope. Shopping was anxiety provoking and I always ended up buying the wrong thing.

Not being drunk helps too for sure.

Have a great rest of the weekend Overs!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

It has been a challenging month for me. Dealing with my AH and trying to speak up and voice my opinion about my feelings about day to day situations. My voice has caused angst in the household but that was always going to happen.

I have yet to sit down and properly "talk to him" ... but I am making progress.

Today I actually talked to my pastor. Not a detailed converstion. I just kinda gave him a heads up that all was not good at home. I am guessing next week I will be piinned down for a more detailed explanation. This was a HUGE step for me and I do feel better for it.

I am getting resentful , bitter and cranky. Last night I had the urge to either smash his palstic tumbler of wine to the ground or drink the wine. I did neither I just went to bed .. I was tired.

I had unexpected family guests the first week which was nice .. but tiring .. my family drinks lots .. my hubby was stoked have drinking partners at home again.

Anyway tonight I am patting myself on the shoulder because I FINALLY admitted to someone in my face to face world that LSC1 might need some help and support in the near future.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

LSC I can't imagine the day to day trials of continuing sobriety with an AH (or AW in the interest of gender fairness) I know that if I asked H not to drink at home or in front of me he wouldn't. Just knowing that helps on the occasion I feel an urge. He is a normie, doesn't need to drink, but does on occasion enjoy it. He works hard, long hours in a stressful job that gives us a good lifestyle and allows me to work only if and when I want to. One of his few pleasures is a nightcap or a beer with a pizza, who am I to deny him that pleasure?
The huge difference between that and trying to remain on the permanent road of recovery whilst a partner who could care less about our feelings guzzles down the booze in front of us day in day out must be unbearable. At least when I lived with an alcoholic husband I wasn't trying to stop drinking myself, though eventually the fact that I was ready to begin growing up and he was stunting his growth by pickling himself became too much and our choices became too obvious, our paths diverged to the point they could never converge again and it was time to say syanara $hithead! ( apologies if I offend anyone's sensibilities)

Steve, have a pint of ice cream for me sweetie, something with chocolate in it

DG, that sounds about right!

Instant you could be writing my life with your words!

Itchy, Zip Dottie, FG MB WWG FBL Drake, Carlos, Dee Grace et al have a super sober day
Old 09-28-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

LSC1- Reaching out sounds like a really positive step. Sorry to hear about your frustrations with AH though. Dealing with a partner at home who is still drinking or using is so hard. Even if we're solid in our own recovery, it can still cause frustration, resentment and a feeling of loneliness like we are in this alone.

Drake, it sounds like yu had a really nice day yesterday.

Instant- I get easily distracted as well- There are so many things that I am interested in and want to do that it is hard for me to focus on just one.

My plan for the day is to do a few chores, maybe some yard-work and possibly work on cleaning up my new car a little. Getting my old car all fixed up has made me want my new car to look all nice too.

I am grateful for my sobreity and all the improvements in my life that it has brought me.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Instant,
I am a one track minded person and like immediate gratification so I sidetrack all the time and found it an issue in early sobriety because for the first few months I had some scary short term memory issues. Had I not had a large f2f support group especially AArs who had it and had it lift. And aside from friends and family, here on SR with the links to PAWS information were lifesavers, or at least life easers. So I just wandered around my computer equipment, made to do lists, and found much of my short term memory issues were related to things I did not really want to do as they required long term attention to detail and focus. It took six months for me to both stop trying to fix all the things I now thought were half vast instead of up to my own standards. As soon as I realized that my priorities were jumbled, my old do each then play was tempered by a return of my sense of wonder. So I have to be sure I don't spend all day here and one other forum, and a majority of my time spent productively here. I am a half hour late doing this and even though just a friend wanting to try to give me something for taking care of him through a surgery day where he needed an adult to drive him home and stay until he was recovered. He is single as his wife died of cancer years ago.

I'm retired! I can and do. On the other hand, I'm uncomfortable with having to be gracious. He called and said come on over I have something for you?

So I am procrastinating!?? Yes Instant ol bud, we recovered alcoholics are all bozos on this bus. Relax, and get yer wig and plastic nose on right. We have the show of life to do.

More later. LSC, I live with an active AW, and it has been tough sometimes. Getting help was weirder because I'm a guy and an ex alcoholic myself. I'll explain once I'm over the grateful friend who feels the need to pay friends for being friends with something.

Later.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Lsc)))

D
Old 09-28-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

glad to hear you did neither lsc

as that would be feeding into the situation

leave the drama home, it's too bad your home!
Old 09-28-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Itchy - the worst humidity/heat combo I've experianced was in Korea 90+ with 90+ humidity, warm fog, impossible to dry yourself after a shower.

Toots - hope your move goes well.

Instant - my second name is procrastination.

Drake - good to hear your ADs are doing their stuff.

LSC1 - you're stronger than me, if my wife drank I'd still be drinking.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Andy, my middle name was gonna be procrastination, but I never got round to registering it!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

the worst humidity/heat combo I've experianced was in Korea 90+ with 90+ humidity
we call that summer in Queensland Andy LOL

D
Old 09-29-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning! Do you have room for a new member? Me. I am one year sober today. I have made your thread a goal of mine since I was about six months sober. And here I am!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DD

D
Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Andy, my middle name was gonna be procrastination, but I never got round to registering it!

Andy: Itchy - the worst humidity/heat combo I've experianced was in Korea 90+ with 90+ humidity, warm fog, impossible to dry yourself after a shower.

Dee: we call that summer in Queensland Andy LOL

Let me add summer in the US Midwest as well.

DoubleDragons and congrats on 1 year!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Welcome DoubleDragons and congrats on one year sober.....Job well done.