Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 19

Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Good to see you posting LSC other than feelin shite today, now have you been doing?

FG, I had to stop following a couple of close friends on fb because they were getting so political, I'm hoping now I can start again!

Drake, the Highlands communities are quite spread out, so collecting the votes all up would take time. In Fife they would have had to keep asking the vigilators " which vote goes on which pile again?" (Inbreeding makes for a lower IQ ) I'm allowed to say that, I live in Fife, FG will tell you there are some reeeeeaallly odd folk in Kirkcaldy!!!!!

Itchy, you da man!!!!! Awesome Sauce Dude!!!

DG, you will be able to moonlight as a mechanic at this rate!! Lol

Instant, are you still cycling?

Steve, I love eating vicariously through you! Two things they can't seem to do right in my neck of the US is proper bacon ( back, of course,) and a decent 'Ruby' so if you could sort yourself some bacon butties and a lamb jalfrezi with a giant garlic naan over the next week, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Dee, I have to admit to missing my muppet pals, but plus ça change as they say.

Hugs fellow Overs xx
Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Toots, I know Scottish geography a bit so not surprised about Highland. Seems a truck or two carrying boxes either broke down or were delayed in Highland. I will accept your excuse for Fife! Not sure of Moray (yes I know it is pronounced more like Murray)

It was Fife that gave "No" the majority to win. But maybe they really meant "Yes". Like the fellow on Vicar of Dibley.. no no no no yes.

My Scottish political post for the week.

Overs!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Itchy- Congrats on 4 months!!! I know that you feel very confident in your sobriety, but I wanted to take this moment to say that your support, insight and conversation here is something I really appreciate.

As to Facebook, I disabled my account years ago. Somehow, I really haven't missed it. The whole thing just leads to so much creepiness, IMO. For example, my ex is still friends with some of my friends and family on there. It's beyond my control, but it makes me go, 'What the heck?' Or my family all knew about the break-up from his Facebook before I even told them.

LSC- I think we all go through periods of low motivation. Why not make it a point to get some serious relaxing in and do something that will help to refresh you? Take a hot bath or a walk in the woods.

Dee, I have to admit, I miss the muppets too. Of course, it's your avatar, I'm not trying to imply you should go back to them if you don't want to.

So, I think I got the problem with the car fixed. It's a tad difficult to tell yet as the problem was intermittent. I'm super proud of myself. I've never fixed anything on a car before, so I'm proud that I even tried to tackle it, not to mention if I actually really fixed it. I just have a few things left to do on it to get it ready to sell. I was hoping to have it ready by this weekend, but now my new goal is by the end of next week.

Today, I really need to do a few things around the house that I have been neglecting with all this car work. Then I may try to hit yoga and/or an AA meeting this evening.

Toots- After hearing about your time under the hood, I thought I should have gotten you out here to fix the car!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

congratulations itch!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

4 years. WOW. Congratulations Itch.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks guys!
I forgot! Really. I knew it was the 21st, and got it stuck in my mind that is next Sunday. See what being re-tired and not having any schedules to keep save my own does? I was just checking in to see what was going on in the world of the overs. All of my friends from the undies got here three months before I did because Least and Dee made it happen only three months before my 1st year sober birthday.

I am excited about maybe others seeing if I could, they could. Although I have to admit I thought the long sober were giants, with the self-discipline of great athletes and heroes.

Being sober a year was inconceivable until I got to just past six months and the fear of relapse was gone.

Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Itchy, 4 years is wonderful, my friend. You crack me up, itchy, in the most possible nice way, lol.

DG, know where yours at with fb, my feelings exactly, I want to deleted a lot of people from fb just keep my 'friends'

Happy Monday Oversx
Old 09-21-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post

IP,
Don't let the background noise drown out the reality of the fact that you are sober, AND LIVING IN BERLIN!!! Even if you fail monetarily you win culturally. You know we sometimes have to be a little more patient with ourselves. And learn to take care from yourself.
Thank you. Yes I need to stop basing my experience and success on money. You're right, even if I have to bail out and go home tomorrow (which I won't) I still have this amazing experience under my belt and I've learned so much from it already.

And.....BIG CONGRATS!! Four years is gettin' serious now.

I'm feeling lots better about stuff. I've made a rule for myself that I'm not worrying anymore and I'm sticking to it. It's actually working. Whenever I feel myself begin to obsess about something and think "what if..." I stop myself cold and think: "whatever is going to happen is going to happen. It's going to be okay." I've decided I'm not going to steal this experience away from myself by stressing and worrying the whole time. I'm IN EUROPE. It's my dream come true. And it's temporary. So I'm enjoying. If it kills me. Haha.

On October 29 it's three years for me. THREE YEARS. Truly, if I can do it, anyone can. I can't believe there was ever a time that I couldn't go a week without drinking. Yesterday I was having coffee with a friend and she was talking about some issues she was having, and I realized that if I was still drinking I would have been half listening to her and focusing more on drinking, either getting one then or ditching her so I could go somewhere and drink. And I realized what a terrible friend I was, and why I have so few old friends now. The only real friends I have now, other than a couple of very cherished old ones, are the ones who I've met in the last three years.

Well I'm off for another day of the Life of Riley.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FBL,
It sure is nice knowing you'll be popping in as before.

RZ old chum, you've been here before. It's déjà vu all over again.

LSC, good to see you. I hope you feel better now.

IP,
Now your getting it. When you are ten years down the road you'll cherish the times you make now.

Thanks Drake!

DP, appreciate you!

You too Toots!

I'll make my exit now, lights?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
instant

Great stuff on four years Itchy !! For each year sober I have bought myself a guitar - I now have two electrics and an acoustic- I am hoping the collection will grow- I really cherish them- I can enjoying "playing" and losing myself now.

I have warned my wife when I retire and my hands are riddled with arthritis I will listen to opera and compose techno music- I don't think I would have made retirement if I was still drinking- I guess I still might not, but I'd rather be cleaned up by a truck while bike riding than dying of complications of addiction

Last edited by instant; 09-21-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: my need to feel like the spelling was done right
Old 09-22-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Congratulations Itchy,

Facebook - I never knew there was so much I didn't need to know.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Instant!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

good for you on the new axe inst

and please dont ask how many cymbals i have! lol
Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Evening Overs

Here's a funny one (at least for me it was). I went to see the doctor as I have a cough and she asked me to do some Gov't medical survey as I am in a certain age group which they are studying. One of the questions she asked was whether I drank. For once, I was able to answer truthfully and said no, I do not drink at all. The action item for me according to the report was: recommend that Kaneda has 2 drinks/day. Lol. I almost choked when she gave that recommendation

Itchy: congrats on 4 years ! What a great milestone !

LSC: hey ! I remember you when I first joined SR and went onto the chat thing. I have warm memories of your lovely support. PLs do hang in there !

Have a great day/evening all !
Old 09-22-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yesterday, I did succeed in getting the house cleaned up. I feel much better when my space is clean. Didn't make it to yoga or AA, but I did go grocery shopping and make a nice pot of vegetable soup and then spend some time practicing my drums.

Today, I am going to tackle one of my work projects and see if I can make some good progress on it.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Folks. I haven't checked in a while. I'm 546 days sober, and glad to be a member of this site. I go to 3 AA meeting a week, and on Step 9. I'm finding a sense of peace and happiness that I had only dreamed of. Today I'm a good dad and husband because I'm sober. I ran my first Half Marathon this month, and have another in November. Be well.
Matthew
Old 09-22-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Itch Man,

Wow, congrats on your FOUR years clean and sober. Your presence here has had such a positive impact with my recovery time from SR...starting from my early days on this site with our silly yet meaningful roller coaster rides, to the pm's and phone talks...your presence, take and suggestions were greatly appreciated.

While it has taken me a bit longer to "Get This Right" (said in my best Roger Goodell voice), it has always been a warming feeling to know that you stayed the course. So many, well all actually, of my friends from those days four years ago have disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again...but not you, Itch Man. It is such a pleasure for me to once again have crossed paths with you on this thread.

Your posts are both humorous and always humble...making sure to reach out, make another that is struggling to see a different viewpoint and/or just laugh. You embody the need to give it away so that you can keep it!

Thanks, Itch Man!

Your Sober Friend,

Carlos
Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey Overs,

Way to go Itchy, 4 years is a fantastic achievement. That really is inspiring to me.

Good to hear your progress WWG. Running a half marathon a week on Sunday (my 2nd) and then signed up for my first marathon next May. How's the running going?

My Monday has been the most productive day I've had for ages getting bits and pieces done. I'll be honest - I was a mess on Friday after the referendum result. I didn't realise I had so much invested in it and it did not go how I wanted which is all I'll say on the matter!

Fortunately I had a friend's 30th to go to on Saturday which was a treasure hunt for gron ups on a combination of foot, bikes and kayaks. This was followed by dinner at an Italian Restaurant. I had a really good time. My friend whose birthday it was is not really a big drinker and there were 4 Muslims in the group so made this made it a lot easier. These occasions do seem to get less tough as time goes on but it was nice to not really have to think about it on Sat

Hope everyone's good.
NS
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Hi Folks. I haven't checked in a while. I'm 546 days sober, and glad to be a member of this site. I go to 3 AA meeting a week, and on Step 9. I'm finding a sense of peace and happiness that I had only dreamed of. Today I'm a good dad and husband because I'm sober. I ran my first Half Marathon this month, and have another in November. Be well.
Matthew
Good to hear from you Matthew!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
instant

Today I will experience the joys of modern dentistry with a clear mind