Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 32

Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellbell123 View Post
Hi everyone! Its been awhile but I am happy to report I am still sober! I've been sober since May 25th. Some of you on this board have been sober for over a year now! Wow!! Congrats to you!! and others (like me) have been on and off the past year. I can proudly say that I have been MOSTLY sober the past year. It's still a struggle sometimes but for the most part I have my brain trained to squash cravings quickly. It really took ACCEPTING, truly accepting, that I am an alcoholic. Once I did that I have felt an inner peace that is getting me through, day by day. By accepting that I am an alcoholic the decision to drink is totally different. It's way beyond deciding to have "just a drink" or deciding "I'll just drink one day a week". Once you accept your an alcoholic you know your decision is "do I want that problem again?". And the answer for me is always HECK NO.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm doing pretty good. Back in school to earn my BA in Business, Working full time, raising the kids. Busy, busy

xoxo
Kell
Yay Kellbell! Keep it up, lady!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry I missed this NS:

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Good to hear from you 1Step. Don't be a stranger! Glad to hear things are going well for you.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience of drinking in dreams? My dreams seem to be more alcohol themed since I hit the 1 year milestone. They tend to be anxiety related and involve breaking my sobriety and being found out. None of them have had me moderating successfully so in some ways they are a good 'wake up' call so to speak...
I think one year is a time of reflection for most of us NS...it's also a time that's marked down as a point for PAWs

I never put much store in dreams tho - I still dream of high school and primary school even - doesn't mean I have any desire to go back there

D
Old 10-10-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Grace, you're so right. My 13 months slipped past on Monday and I forgot until the next day. I guess the sobriety is becoming part of who I am but doesn't define me so much. It allows me to do and be so many other things. For that I am thankful and that doesn't necessarily need a lot of milestones to acknowledge it.

Dee, when I'm dreaming about pouring a glass of wine for a primary school teacher I haven't seen in 25 years at a friend's wedding to a man (she's a lesbian)....I know I should definitely not take the message too literally!!!

On a serious note the last couple of months have been a serious time of reflection about so much in my life so it's probably natural I've been a unsettled. It's reassuring this time that even though I'm unsettled I'm talking about it here and with friends and family. I'm also still going out and doing the things I want and need to do in my life. That's a huge positive change for me.

Last edited by Nightswimming; 10-10-2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Must learn to proofread....
Old 10-10-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always say dream what you like as long as you're solid in recovery when you're awake NS

D
Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ TGIF Edition~~
~~Strive to be a Better YOU!!!~ Starting Today!!!~~

Here's an interesting thought:

You never find leopards or lions saying to themselves, "Well, I don't think I'll put myself out on this hunt. Why strain myself? What's the point? I nearly always make the kill and then what happens? Everyone tucks in and I don't even get a thank you. This time, I'll just coast. Someone else can do the work for a change. . . ."

A tree never says, "What's the point of putting out all that effort--growing up as tall as I can to the light? Sooner or later, someone else is just going to grow that little bit taller, and I'll be in the shade anyway. So why bother?"

You never see a cobra that's too lazy to strike, a mother wolf who is only half-hearted about looking after her cubs, or migrating birds who simply decide not to, or just fly at half pace.

Nature has a habit of always doing its very best. Animals and plants never do things by halves. They always do everything that they are capable of doing. They always do their best. So why are we humans so different? Why do we consistently fall behind our own standards for ourselves, let alone anyone else's?

Let's take a leaf out of Nature's book and strive to be the best person we can possibly be in every area. Let's resolve to expand ourselves--to fully utilize our God-given talent--to the best of our ability. Whether at work or at home, realize that failing to do our very best only hurts us--nobody else.

So, let's strive to be the best we can possibly be. Starting today!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

A tree never says, "What's the point of putting out all that effort--growing up as tall as I can to the light? Sooner or later, someone else is just going to grow that little bit taller, and I'll be in the shade anyway. So why bother?"
Good one BLK

D
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hey all

Havent posted for a long while. I've been busy travelling and just returned from HK and Shanghai. Feeling really sloth like right now The trip was uneventful and fairly positive work wise. I have no urge to drink thankfully ! I even visited my old haunt where my drinking was at its worst and felt nothing but gratitude that those days are past. Now its back home and the sun is shining bright !! Oh, and I also lost weight on the trip. That also helps
Old 10-10-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

NS

Congrats on 13 months. I also completely forgot about my 13th month as well ! Funny how one lets these things slip.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Congrats to you as well Kane!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to both you guys

D
Old 10-12-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Sober Sunday Edition~~
~~A Question of "IF"~~

If you plant honesty, you will reap trust.
If you plant goodness, you will reap friends.
If you plant humility, you will reap greatness.
If you plant perseverance, you will reap victory.
If you plant consideration, you will reap harmony.
If you plant hard work, you will reap success.
If you plant forgiveness, you will reap reconciliation.
If you plant openness, you will reap intimacy.
If you plant patience, you will reap improvements.
If you plant faith, you will reap miracles.

BUT:

If you plant dishonesty, you will reap distrust.
If you plant selfishness, you will reap loneliness.
If you plant pride, you will reap destruction.
If you plant envy, you will reap trouble.
If you plant laziness, you will reap stagnation.
If you plant bitterness, you will reap isolation.
If you plant greed, you will reap loss.
If you plant gossip, you will reap enemies.
If you plant worries, you will reap wrinkles.
If you plant sin, you will reap guilt.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Thank you BLK. I copied this on into my recovery journal.
Two that I really resonate with:

If you plant perseverance, you will reap victory.
If you plant selfishness, you will reap loneliness.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Congeatulations
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thank God It's Monday Edition~~
~~It's Time!!!~~

It’s time. It’s time for you to make a tough decision. Take a deep breath. Get still. Visualize the worst case scenario. After doing that, see yourself having made the decision, stepping into your personal power, becoming more courageous and stronger.

It’s Time!!!!

Your mental well being, health and happiness are dependent upon you making this decision. If you don’t do it now, you will look at yourself one day and say “Why did I waste so much valuable time?” If you don’t do it now, you will regret it, and this situation will continue to take a toll on you mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically!

It's Time!!!!

It’s been said that people delay making tough decisions ~ not because they don’t know what to do. They don’t make the tough decisions because they know what to do, but lack the courage and will to deal with the emotional consequences. You can do this!! See it done. You are now operating from a higher place of integrity and personal power and going to the next level in your life. You have something special. You have GREATNESS within you

IT'S TIME!!!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Thank you Diesel! That's what needs to be done to reverse procrastination
Old 10-14-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~Motivate Yourself ~ Welcome 2 Self Help~~

Welcome to the day that you realize that self-help is the best help one can possibly get! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to motivation!

There are many ways you can become motivated; Fear and Reward are among the two most popular. Despite their popularity they are both temporary and are controlled by outside forces! The Key to staying motivated is to find your purpose and consistently remind yourself why you are here! Contrary to popular belief motivation does not last! It isn’t something that you do once and it stays forever! It is something that is renewed day after day after day after day!

Watch your thoughts! Watch your Surroundings! Watch what you allow to enter into your life! You’ve come so far and to allow outside forces to ruin all you have worked for would be a shame! Motivate yourself! Do it daily and understand that the key to life is habit! Make it a habit to stay positive! Make it a habit to be happy! Make it a habit to live the life of your dreams!! Take back Control! YOU ARE ALL YOU GOT FOR SURE!!

~~Healthy Snacks~~
“Wanting something is not enough. You must hunger for it. Your motivation must be absolutely compelling in order to overcome the obstacles that will invariably come your way.”-Les Brown

“If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you’ll always be in the same place.”-Nora Roberts

“When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.”-Confucius

“Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.”-Wayne Dyer

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.”-Zig Ziglar

“To move ahead you need to believe in yourself…have conviction in your beliefs and the confidence to execute those beliefs.”-Adlin Sinclair

“No one can motivate you to do anything. You motivate yourself, based on information you receive and how directly you can relate it to your own potential achievement.”-Mark Barnes

“You have to do it yourself, no one else will do it for you. You must work out your own salvation.”-Charles E. Popplestone
Old 10-15-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

~~Food for Thought ~ Humpday Edition~~
~~How to Stay Motivated ~~

As a leader, how can I keep myself motivated long term? This seems to be quite a common dilemma for many people so I want to address it because it can be done! Here are my tips for staying a motivated (for leaders and life):

1. Get motivated every day.
Zig Ziglar was once confronted about being a “motivational speaker.” The guy said to him, “You guys come and get people hyped up and then you leave and the motivation goes away. It doesn’t last, and then you have to get motivated again.” Zig reminded the gentleman that baths are the same way but we think it is a good idea to take a bath every day!
It is true that motivation doesn’t last. We have to renew it each and every day. That is okay. It doesn’t make motivation a bad thing. We simply have to realize that if we want to stay motivated over the long term, it is something we will have to apply to ourselves each and every day.

2. Have a vision.
The root word of motivation is “motive.” The definition of motive is, “A reason to act.” This is the cognitive or rational side of motivation. It is your vision. You have to have a vision that is big enough to motivate you. If you are making $50,000 a year, it isn’t going to motivate you to set your goal at $52,000 a year. You just won’t get motivated for that because the reward isn’t enough. Maybe $70,000 a year would work for you. Set out a vision and a strategy for getting there. Have a plan and work the plan.

3. Fuel your passion.
Much of motivation is emotional. I don’t know quite how it works but I do know THAT it works. Emotion is a powerful force in getting us going. Passion is an emotion, so fuel your passion. “Well, I like to work on logic,” you may say. Great, now work on your passion. Set yourself on a course to have a consuming desire for your goal, whatever it is. Do whatever you can to feel the emotion and use it to your advantage!

4. Work hard enough to get results.
You can build on your motivation by getting results. The harder you work, the more results you will get and the more results you get, the more you will be motivated to get more. These things all build on one another. If you want to lose weight, then lose the first few pounds. When the belt moves to the next notch you will get fired up to get it to the notch beyond that!

5. Put good materials into your mind.
I can’t say this enough – listen to cd’s, mp3’s. I still listen regularly, I buy audio clubs from other speakers and I learn and grow. Their successes motivate me to get my own successes! Read good books. Read books that teach you new ideas and skills. Read books that tell the stories of successful people. Buy them, read them, and get motivated! Buy great music and listen to it. I just did a spinning class at the club today. Whenever a good song came on I was actually able to get motivated to ride faster! It gets you going and motivates you!

6. Ride the momentum when it comes---This is Key.
Sometimes you will just be clicking and sometimes you won’t. That is okay. It is the cycle of life. When you aren’t clicking, plug away. When you are clicking, pour it on because momentum will help you get larger gains in a shorter period of time with less energy. That is the Momentum Equation! When you are feeling good about how your work is going, ride the momentum and get as much out of it as you can!

These are the top six ways to stay motivated:

1. Get motivated every day.
2. Have a vision for your life.
3. Fuel your passion.
4. Work hard enough to get results.
5. Put good materials into your mind.
6. Ride the momentum when it comes.

by Chris Widener
Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Congrats to everybody who made it over 1 year now! I wish I could say the same for me, but I'm pretty happy with the last year. It was mostly sober, and the last 93 days have been completely sober yet again.

I do occasionally look longingly at the beer aisle in the grocery store, but for the most part the urges are gone. My brain just automatically jumps ahead to where it's all going to end up, and how hard it's going to be to pull out of it again. So I just say meh, and move on.

The transformation at work has been nothing short of remarkable. I went from barely doing anything all day long to a fairly large promotion where I'm managing a large team and I don't have any time to screw around. Wall to wall meetings. I'm a bit of a workaholic now though. I go to bed about 10:30pm and I wake up at 6am (sometimes 4am!) with my mind racing about all the stuff I need to do at work. I tend to get to the office by 7am at the latest and I'm there until about 5-6pm. And then I work half days on weekends just because I'm not really sure what the hell else to do with myself.

I used to play video games the entire time I was drinking. That had to stop too. It was an escape into virtual reality for me. Another way to dodge life. And it made me want to drink. But that's what I used to do with my spare time when not drinking.

When I wasn't gaming or drinking I was reading. Unfortunately, I stopped liking most of the crap I was reading too. I still read, but I'm very picky about what now.

The same goes for TV. I used to like all those reality singing shows. What a load of crap those are when you are sober!

I know it sounds like my life must be hell from the above, but it's not. I'm not really that bored and I feel like I'm facing life on life's terms for the first time. And I feel like an adult for the first time. That alone is rewarding.

My personal life still needs a lot of work, but I figure that will come in time. Or it won't. Either way I'm good.

/Wave
Old 10-18-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Awesome UI ! You sound like you're on THE path Boredom could be a bit dangerous so maybe try something new ? When I was travelling, a fellow AA recommended that I try something new each day. I ended up in some very unfamiliar environments as a result and had some very rewarding experiences ! Maybe give it a shot ?