View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Uninvited

Congrats to everybody who made it over 1 year now! I wish I could say the same for me, but I'm pretty happy with the last year. It was mostly sober, and the last 93 days have been completely sober yet again.

I do occasionally look longingly at the beer aisle in the grocery store, but for the most part the urges are gone. My brain just automatically jumps ahead to where it's all going to end up, and how hard it's going to be to pull out of it again. So I just say meh, and move on.

The transformation at work has been nothing short of remarkable. I went from barely doing anything all day long to a fairly large promotion where I'm managing a large team and I don't have any time to screw around. Wall to wall meetings. I'm a bit of a workaholic now though. I go to bed about 10:30pm and I wake up at 6am (sometimes 4am!) with my mind racing about all the stuff I need to do at work. I tend to get to the office by 7am at the latest and I'm there until about 5-6pm. And then I work half days on weekends just because I'm not really sure what the hell else to do with myself.

I used to play video games the entire time I was drinking. That had to stop too. It was an escape into virtual reality for me. Another way to dodge life. And it made me want to drink. But that's what I used to do with my spare time when not drinking.

When I wasn't gaming or drinking I was reading. Unfortunately, I stopped liking most of the crap I was reading too. I still read, but I'm very picky about what now.

The same goes for TV. I used to like all those reality singing shows. What a load of crap those are when you are sober!

I know it sounds like my life must be hell from the above, but it's not. I'm not really that bored and I feel like I'm facing life on life's terms for the first time. And I feel like an adult for the first time. That alone is rewarding.

My personal life still needs a lot of work, but I figure that will come in time. Or it won't. Either way I'm good.

/Wave