D
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^^^ lol!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys

Not much to say ( ) i know, right? but thought I should just check in. All is well in Tootsville (pop 1)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

All is well here too. My plan for the day is to get a few small work things done. I've been procrastinating them and then feeling guilty and worrying about them. So, it's time to just jump in, get them done and get them off my mind. Then I can enjoy the weekend.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey all, I thought I better check in here because I just caught myself lying in bed thinking about drinking.
I'm in Berlin, have been for a couple of days, and yeah, there is alcohol everywhere. People walk around, go on transit, hang out in parks and public places drinking huge, delicious looking bottles of beer. Especially in this heat, and all I'm doing is walking around looking for apartments, it has been really tempting.
I need some support please!!! I've made it through Kiev, Turkey and Cyprus alone without drinking and would hate to blow it now.
How is everybody doing?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi IP

The surrounds may be different - but you're still the same - you've done this for hundreds of days now...tell the AV to shove it

D
Old 07-19-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello InPar love ♥

Yey ~ you're there!! Yep, beer everywhere. And we are here for you love.
It would all be a giant pain in the buttismo if you picked up that drink....no more new start and all is good...it would be awful. This way, sober, you can do the hard slog and find a great place to live. And we will be with you.

So much love,

V xx ♥
Old 07-19-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Stay strong IP, I hope you find an apartment soon. Living out of a suitcase (when you don't have a choice) gets old real quick.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for checkin' in, IP! Alcohol is all around us everywhere, but we are the ones that control what we consume. You know where even one beer will eventually lead and NONE of us ever want to go back there again. We've got your back here

Another beautiful, relaxing weekend ahead. Can't believe I used to waste them getting wasted.

Have a great day, overs!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

IP you can and will remain sober, you wouldn't be where you are if you hadn't stopped the poison, you don't want to return to that dark place.

Enjoy Berlin, there is some awesome history there, I suggest doing some specific sightseeing, rather than just dondering around focus on learning about the place you're visiting. Before you know it the cravings will have passed.

All well with toots
Have a great weekend one and all x
Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

Keep checking in IP, we'll keep you on the straight and narrow.

I'm heading to our near-by city in a couple hours. I got a motel for a couple nights and plan on some shopping. The second night, I have a family member coming to join me, so it should be a good time.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello IP, it would be nice if you could find the company of other sober people. Are there any AA in Berlin? I'm sure there is one in English for foreigners. And who knows, the friendship there might have suggestions for a cheap place to live.

Bon courage,

Dottie
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous Berlin - Meetings of the English speaking fellowship of AA in Berlin, Dresden and Leipzig
Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I had a bit of a panic attack tonight and thought about drinking. I didn't. I know that not drinking is just who I am now. I would feel awful if I drank. Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
instant

IP. I have not been to Berlin for 20 years but I find Germany has a big drinking culture. Hang in there and may be when you are more settled things will be better- maybe the excitement and uncertainty as to what will happen are "triggers" (I like the word less these days).

I am up early on Sunday morning and have done three productive hours on a personal project. It's priceless.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IP,
I was stationed there for 7years and there is where in 1990 I became a hard drinker. You can order a sprudel wasser
german sparkling waters - Bing Images

Which is the sparkling waters there like our seltzer here. But better! I liked mine mit citron (a lemon slice on top) they tend to not serve cokes and sprudel with ice unless you ask for it. They also put a slice of lemon floating on top of a Coke mit citron. If you crave then run down to a local bakery shop. They do pastries too but the German desserts are to die for. I detest cloyingly sweet desserts in the US, but between the bread (brotchen) and the low sugar naturally sweet and sour fruit tarts OMG! Next craving go get a swank brat at a street stand. Then try some of the sodas as they have some unique Trinken.

Coffee there is very strong but their hot chocolate is very different than ours and delish too. Of course you have to eat a berliner:
berlin berliner donut? - Bing Images

IP, I expect regular reports telling the others here who haven't spent time there how wonderful the foods are, and the non alcoholic drinks. They have what they call alkohol frei bier, but their alcohol free beer isn't. And it tastes like socks and for us will lead immediately to an all nighter. I know, I tried cutting back with it there and it led me back the same night.

Have fun! Don't let past addictions crowd out your new one travel!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

All this talk of bakeries and deserts has my mouth watering.

I had a good day shopping yesterday. I never really love trying on a ton of stuff, the crowds, etc. But I got a lot of really awesome stuff and was able to get pretty much everything I wanted on sale. I need a lot of stuff as I'm not as thin as I used to be and my style ideas are changing. I watched several episodes of "What not to wear" and I realized how many fashion no-nos I was committing. Since I'm not real familiar with what looks good on me and what doesn't, I had to try on a ton of stuff. At home, I don't care that much what I look like, but when I go on business trips, it would be nice to look good in front of my customers. And hey, why not look good at home sometimes too?

Anyway, I ended up with a great selection and plan to do a bit more shopping today and go get my hair cut as well. But my first stop will be the coffee shop so I can get some coffee and breakfast. When I was drinking, there was no way I would have had the money to do this type of thing. Not to mention that I couldn't do that many hours of shopping without leaving to go drive around and smoke some weed.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

DG, it's so cute that you go shopping with a sense of adventure and are just grateful for it. I'm way into shopping therapy too. But sometimes, when I spend too much, I realise it can't replace love. Still, a bit of it doesn't plenty of good for the ego.

Enjoy!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi DG,
You sound well and relaxed with some self improvement on the outside. Sounds like your inside is getting some bit of serenity. Good for you.

Dorothy,
I hope you both can stop substituting from fulfillment.

FBL,
I just watched Dexter's last episode, it's 3AM, and our weird cold spell lifts later today and we go to 93° from 72 all last week. Triple digits the week before which is normal here for mid July. In six weeks it will be September and the cool down can start again. Anyway, I agree, the last five episodes were not as good as the previous 91. And so no spoiler, the ending really wasn't satisfying, so I agree with you on that.

Hey guys! In about nine weeks I'll have four years sober and tobacco free. My how time flies when you're having fun!
Nite all.