Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 18

Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FBL,
We moved back here to be able to help. We just didn't expect them both to almost keel at the same time and with little warning. Now they are both doing much better and between home health care, my wife and her brother, I don't wonder that she is recovering fast. I sure couldn't be laying around with five people asking me if I held the food down, and had I passed it back out today?

Just shoot me if I ever have to hear a smiling aide say "There there Mr Itchy, and have we had a bm today?" What's with the royal "we" these folks always do? Do they have two seater potties for unison potty breaks?

Anyway they are out of danger and the cancer is the most curable and should be gone with one round of five, two of which have been done.

Andy,
That would be funny. In my drinking days I'd have had beer to replace the blood four for one.

Kaneda,
YW! They are the Kingsmen, and do listen to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody!

I bet you have more fun and retain it doing the tourist in HK sber than ever before.

Drake,
Much more powerful to deal with it, no? It sounds like you're on the right track. I am a techie and mine give me fits at times too. I just remind myself of the good old days with electric typewriters and mimeograph machines, and thank goodness I have the tech gadgets to confound me occasionally!!

RZ! You really are coming out of your cocoon lately!

DG,
Cookies? We need you to go bake some for Drake.

Tots, entirely too much moving in too little time! And you claim to not like change?

I got another Diesel truck and will be selling my 2009 Ford Ranger. It was a decent daily driver small pickup. But I think I want another fifth wheel and do some fishing trips and weekenders with my SH (Significant Harassment) and the two furkids. So now I'm doing pics and cleaning the Ranger for selling.

Overs get over what's over and out!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Arghh! Tots instead of Toots in my previous post?

Well Toots and all the Haggis eaters and watchers of the world, if you wanted Scotland to stay part of the UK, congrats! If not, oh well, better luck next time!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning Andy and goodnight.
3AM,
Sheesh, my days and nights are mixed up. I need to come out of retirement and have to go into work.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

lets just hope i dont turn into a butterfly itch! lol
Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Morning Overs

Stayed up too late watching Scotland vote on BBC online. I do not have a TV, hate watching the boob-tube so followed on their website.

Regret it this AM... moving slow. Looking forward to a calmer day.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Kaneda, that AA pal has it spot on. Whenever I am going into a situation sober for the first time I visualise the outcome I want to happen. It really has benefitted me in the past. The sight seeing idea is great too, plus you have all of us on your keyboard.

Moving here was the first time I was able to bring my strongest support group with me, it helped to have the continuity of all my SR friends as I found my way around.

Itchy, I said I don't like change... I don't say I wasn't used to it!! personally I did want the UK to maintain the status quo, I just hope that as a country we can put it all behind us now. Although Scotland is the home of my heart and soul, I am from south of the border, a sassenach!

Drake, deep breaths, chips and logging on here anytime you need to whatever gets you to the end of the day sober. ((((Hugs)))) I hope today, sleepy as it will be, is an easier ride for you. Hugs to Lady O.

all my Over pals have a great sober weekend
Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Kaneda- The trip sounds like a ton of fun. One of the times I regret drinking the most was on trips- I missed out on so much that I could have seen because I was too busy drinking. I think the sight-seeing is a wonderful idea!

Drake- I hope today is a better day for you. Printers are the pits. Like Itchy, I'm a techie person as well, but i hate my printer.

Well, I had a productive day yesterday. Pretty much knocked everything off my to-do list. I enjoyed the AA meeting last night- there was somebody there about my age with just over a month sober. He was talking about how hard it is to get a job with the gaps in his employment record. It made me so thankful that I managed to keep my job through-out my drinking and just thankful in general for all that I have in sobriety.

Today my plans are to get some work done and do some more on the old car. C promised to walk me through how to replace a few parts over the phone. It hasn't been starting well sometimes and the goal is to get that fixed before I try to sell it. I'm by no means the sort of person that spends time working on cars. My abilities have generally been limited to putting gas in it and washing the windows. To date, my big car accomplishment was jumping the thing 'by myself' (with the help of C on the phone) a few days ago. But the only way to learn how to do soething is to do it.

I still notice how much is different in my life than when I was drinking. Before, I never would have been able to afford the new car and hence would not have been selling the old one. And if I had sold the old one, I probably would have just thrown a sign up on it rather than trying to clean it up and get as much as I could out of it.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
These were the days that I decided to heck with it, poured a cocktail at 3PM and called it good. By 6 I could care less anymore.

Needless to say, I got little done today.
Oh gosh, this brought back memories. I can remember waiting until the clock struck 12 so that I could start drinking. I always used to think that because I wasn't a "morning drinker" I wasn't really an alcoholic. Ha!

Today has been a sh*t day. I thought it was Friday, then I time warped and thought it was Saturday for some reason, then I realized that it was Friday again. I had a horrible sleep last night and feel just all f***ed up. I was supposed to meet someone for coffee this morniing and completely forgot about it and stood them up. Then I spent half the morning composing a killer email to an editor who I've been communicating with for two weeks about writing an art column, and was SO excited because it really seemed like it was going to happen, then at the very end he was like, "oh this is an unpaid position, didn't you know that." And I felt like crying and just throwing in the towel. I am SO. SICK. OF. THAT. Which is why I'm starting my own, but I have to make money! I'm really really trying to not be stressed out. Whatever happens will happen.

I'm taking a break from thinking about it. Yesterday it felt like my eyes were going to fall out of my head last night from staring at the computer screen for two days straight and I'm drinking too much coffee.

Wow what a ray of sunshine I am! I just need a good night's sleep and I'll be back on track. The last two days were good I'm just off.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
instant

Hi all. This Saturday morning I am glad to be sober.

I have had a rough time of late- illness in the family- I coped well at the time but when things came back to "the new normal" I found it hard to focus, and long-standing work gripes were playing on my mind. I struggled at work, as some issues occurred when I was dealing with family matters. Somewhat inappropriately, and without intending to beforehand I had a go at a manager from another section who wanted something from me. At this point I seem to have got away with it and back looking at what I can control rather then what I can't.

I have two weeks off that I arranged some time ago- so that's good

As of this morning I am back on the gratitude threads.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

You, know, Instant, don't feel bad. Everyone does this stuff. Everyone messes up. Life is messy.
I know sometimes it can be hard to believe but every single person on the planet is imperfect and deals with things badly sometimes. The only difference between them is how hard they punish themselves for it. I personally punish myself very hard and it seems that you do as well. Give yourself a break.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think sometimes we have an expectation we should be perfect now.
I still get stressed, I still screw up, I still can go off at people who don't deserve it.

You make amends where possible or applicable, and you take the lessons on board on move on, I think

D
Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Amen Dee,
If I didn't have a sense of humor instead of giving myself a giggle at how derpy I am daily I might be a bit put off. I am a riot at least once a day. I just grin, mumble to my self you dumbspit, and fix, redo, or start whatever it was over. I can't take myself too seriously. I can relax, shake it off and feel really accomplished because I can shake it off, not drink it away. Really, I am such a dufus sometimes. Nice. Rule 62, right RZ?

IP,
Don't let the background noise drown out the reality of the fact that you are sober, AND LIVING IN BERLIN!!! Even if you fail monetarily you win culturally. You know we sometimes have to be a little more patient with ourselves. And learn to take care from yourself.

Toots,
I'll bet you find like I did that when I'm here I miss the food and sights of there, and when I am there I miss the stuff from here.

DG,
The work will pay off in the selling price. And you will be better equipped to take care of the new one!

Instant,
Sorry you are having a rough time of it. Getting your perspective back sure can't hurt.

Zippy,
Don't you dare!

Guys, you know it is pretty normal to get a bit flaky when the seasons change. It isn't just a coincidence that plants and animals change with the seasons, without calendars to boot. We aren't immune to the pulses of the seasons either. Full moons aren't the only things that affect our moods and perceptions. Even the tides ebb and flow.

I
Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early night for me guys so new thread time:

Join us here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-19-a.html

D
Old 09-21-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post

IP,
Don't let the background noise drown out the reality of the fact that you are sober, AND LIVING IN BERLIN!!! Even if you fail monetarily you win culturally. You know we sometimes have to be a little more patient with ourselves. And learn to take care from yourself.
Thank you. Yes I need to stop basing my experience and success on money. You're right, even if I have to bail out and go home tomorrow (which I won't) I still have this amazing experience under my belt and I've learned so much from it already.

And.....BIG CONGRATS!! Four years is gettin' serious now.

I'm feeling lots better about stuff. I've made a rule for myself that I'm not worrying anymore and I'm sticking to it. It's actually working. Whenever I feel myself begin to obsess about something and think "what if..." I stop myself cold and think: "whatever is going to happen is going to happen. It's going to be okay." I've decided I'm not going to steal this experience away from myself by stressing and worrying the whole time. I'm IN EUROPE. It's my dream come true. And it's temporary. So I'm enjoying. If it kills me. Haha.

On October 29 it's three years for me. THREE YEARS. Truly, if I can do it, anyone can. I can't believe there was ever a time that I couldn't go a week without drinking. Yesterday I was having coffee with a friend and she was talking about some issues she was having, and I realized that if I was still drinking I would have been half listening to her and focusing more on drinking, either getting one then or ditching her so I could go somewhere and drink. And I realized what a terrible friend I was, and why I have so few old friends now. The only real friends I have now, other than a couple of very cherished old ones, are the ones who I've met in the last three years.

Well I'm off for another day of the Life of Riley.