Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 18

Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you Itchy--I took your advice and am currently enjoying an apfel-waldbeereu schorle with blueberry torte. Oh I quit drinking coffee too—all caffeine—because I've been having crazy anxiety and I think it's making it worse. I have about four different anxiety disorders as well as mild agorophobia and social phobia--AWESOMME so I really need to do everything I can to keep myself calm.
ANY-hoo, I'm feeling a lot better today. I slept for 14 hours last night. I think I am exhauste from traveling.
I got a place for August, and hear back today about a permanent place that may start August first, so that would be good.
Things are slowly, slowly coming together. Well. Not really but they will! I joined a running/learn German group through Meetup.com.
It's so busy here. So many people from all over the world.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Yes really, InPar. Things are definitely coming together. Glad you have a place lined up for August. Really, you are doing great!

Oh, and totally get you on all of the anxiety. Except for social. And I'm also giving away the caffeine ~ down to one cup a day.

Sending you love from the other side of the world,

And love to all of the Overs,

V xx
Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, sounds like you're doing fine. Good luck on kicking the caffeine. I tried to quit it a few years ago and just couldn't do it.

Itch, I was also disappointed with the Dexter finale, not what I was hoping for. I thought that the first few seasons were so great, but each season after that went steadily downhill. Still a very unique show and Michael C. Hall's performance kept me interested no matter how implausible some of the situations were presented.

Venus, hope you're feeling better today. You're such a special person that I hate to see you down.

Have a great Monday, overs!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The Dexter Finale....Do Not Get Me Started. I am FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! 7 , 8 years of my life...never had a TV show been so meaningful...and then that???????? Are they serious? I read all of the reviews, the screaming (from fans), the explanations....BUT. I am a devotee. No way would Dexter Morgan have ended up in that cabin. It is a ludicrous ending, and the creators and writers should be ashamed of themselves.

So there.

And FBL love, huge hugs!!!!!!!!!!!! xxx

V xx
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Venus, re: Dexter...don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel...LOL I agree, terrible ending to a great show.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

You guys are almost making me glad I only watched the first few seasons of Dexter. I can just go on remembering the awesomeness of it!

Yesterday was another full shopping day. I think I'm pretty much done with the clothes shopping for now. I think I've spent a small fortune, but I got a ton of stuff. I feel like I now actully have stuff to wear. Now, I'll just have to finish cleaning out my closet when I get home so I have room for it.

Plans for today are to get my hair cut and then do a bit of grocery shopping here where I have great natural food store options and then head home.

I a glad to be about done with this whole shopping business. My feet were killing my by the end of yesterday.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

DG - your posts about shopping etc are inspiring to me!

Today I got up early for work and got ready before I remembered our office was closed today - LOL that would *never* have happened when I was drinking!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey IP!
They are delish, no? I miss the perfectly not too sweet pastries there and cannot stand cakes and pastries here that are, and always have, been cloyingly too sweet. I miss the Saurbraten, spaetzle, and big heavy loaves of dark and rye breads. And German Gherkin pickle which are not sour or sweet but seasoned and I can make a meal of them alone. Their dressings for salads and hot potato salads. When I was there I missed a good burger and American steak. Now I miss the food over there. The different shnitzels are all great but in Wittlitch there was a restaurant actually called Mom's, that had something I never found elsewhere, butter shnitzel! Oh! French fries with European mayo is delicious. Belgium has the best French Fries, The Netherlands the best ribs and steamed mussels, and France for baguettes of bread and seafood in the supermarkets.

DG,
Without being a spoiler I can't say why, but the middle to almost to the end are super? It was worth my time.

FBL,
I really liked it up until the last episode.

VC,
I never saw it on Showtime as we wait to see the good ones a season or two late on Netflix and Amazon. In fact I'd never seen Dexter in my life until a couple of months ago. I have my days and nights mixed up because I was watching until three in the morning, and now I have to try to get to sleep earlier until I am back on the day shift. So it was only a month or two of my life. What I like about Netflix is that even with their own original series like "Orange Is The New Black" when a mew season begins it's all there. I can watch non stop every episode in a marathon or watch it once a week. I like immediate gratification!

Nite all
Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Hey all.

We've started a kind of "physical therapy" for this little guys mouth.
They call them "suck training" exercises.
Nursing was getting so painful for me that I was basically in tears at each feeding - and because he wasn't doing them efficiently, feedings were happening every hour.

I'm hoping this does the trick because honestly, I'm about at the end of my rope.
He SEEMS to be nursing better since starting them last night....but we will see long term.

I'm getting a little panicked and terrified for Derek going back to work next weekend. There's twelve days left until he goes back and right now, him being home is the only reason I'm getting any semblance of sleep and sanity. When he goes back, from that time until I go back to work, he's grinding out mass overtime as well, so it's going to be extra hard.

I'm trying not to future trip but....ya it's hard.

Anyways, IP I'm envious. You enjoy your time! I took three years of German just so that when I finally get there, I won't be "that American"....*rolls eyes*

One day. Derek knows that it's a dream of mine to get there. His is to "do japan". And we will get there, too.

My excitement for this week is in waiting for our newborn pics to come back from the photographer. To say I'm excited is an UNDERSTATEMENT! I will be sure to share one or two with you guys.

Have a good one, all =)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Overs! We are having our first real hot week here in the Midwest, may hit 100 today. That has all the weather whiners in full roar. They annoy me, frankly....

I have a writing deadline looming. I thought I had more time but the publication is 7/30 not the deadline to submit. Thankfully I have started but am waiting for someone to respond to an email interview. I may be a bit scarce this week for that. I am about 3/4 done so I should be ok.

Olive is doing well, recovered nicely so far from her illness and hospitalization. My bank account has not, but that is the price for taking a life into our care.

All from here...

Overs!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey IP I do hope that AV has gone looking for an easier target, keep focussed on what counts. I am so in awe of you for what you are managing to do, be proud!

LB, I feel for you, I've read somewhere that the sleep deprivation and baby screams a new parent have to cope with through the first year, would be banned under the Geneva convention as excessive torture. I truly hope Brysen gets to nursing bette, what would be your alternatives? Would you be able to express for him to take a bottle? ( sorry guys)

FBL what a gorgeous photo of one of my all time favs, I had a little sad 'there goes another good guy' at his passing this weekend. He was one of my mums favourite guys, so I grew up watching his shows.

Hi Itchy, hope you get your sleep pattern back I am the same when I am reading a book. I sometimes wonder if the 'instant gratification' factor of not being able to wait to continue reading, but to put everything else on hold until I have finished is an element of my addictive thinking.

DG like you, if I don't get into a series from the beginning, or lose contact for a series I tend to sideline it. I have missed out on a lot of my favourites since we came across here as we only have basic cable in the apartment. I know I could sort something on my tablet but I also know that I can catch up when I get back home.

I did begin watching Dexter, but half way through the first series I got bored. It just didn't push my buttons, perhaps he wasn't enough of a psychopath for me!

Drake I hope you get your information quickly, nothing fun about having a deadline and then being stuck relying on someone else to reach it.

Hi FG great to see you, are you looking after Scotland for me? It better still be in one piece when I come home!
Still dealing with stuff, I only have time today because I misread the clock and have an hour to spare!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries)

I am still here, still sober, still kicking)

Uber tired these days, and popped in to say that yesterday I sold the car. Some of you may remember how I was freaking about this. And how scary it was..and..

I feel emotionally exhausted, and going to give myself a break for a few days.

And I will catch up with you all then)

See you later.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

YAY, MB!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Toots - Scotland still in one piece, although depends what the Commonwealth Games do to it! lol - watching the opening ceremony right now

MB - good to 'see' you
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Happy Wednesday =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-3344912332.jpg (29.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

great pic LB

D
Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

how cute LB!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm still around, still sober and on school holidays now. There is just so much going on in my life at the moment..

My Dad is very frail, at home but on oxygen and with nursing care. We have no time scales and I guess it all depends on the results of a scan he's having next week on his bones. I've been with them for all oncology appointments, hospital admissions and am trying to help them claim what benefits they are due.

Personally...this is a huge journey for me. I regularly feel despair, joy, love and anxiety and frequently a mix of them all. I grew up in fear of this man but things are different now and won't ever be the same again.

There are huge issues to face with my Mum who is dependent on pain meds and my brother who is an alcoholic/drug addict and still lives with him. I'm going to think about AlAnon at some point I think. But for now...I'm just taking each day as it comes. And it is true what they say...there are blessings to be found in the darkest times.

And...LB..what a beautiful photo. Bryson is just gorgeous. xx
Old 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Too cute LB.

I'm off to get some work done.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Great to see you Jeni, I understand that you will have a miasma of emotions relating to past and current, I think Al-Anon is a good idea. Are you on the family threads here?

Brysen looks remarkably underwhelmed with his portrait picture! What a cutie!

FG, my daughter is on duty all during the Commonwealth Games, could be policing just about anywhere. I hope it all passes smoothly.