Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 33

Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

((Gracette)) - That took a tremendous amount of courage to admit to your Doctor that you have a drinking problem. Thank goodness your revelation was met with kindness and understanding. Congratulations on 9 days of sobriety Kudos to you for working through feelings of feeling poorly, taking proactive action and taking your sobriety one day at a time. I hope you start feeling better soon.

((ALy)) - I remember so well the feelings of feeling unwell in early sobriety. It takes time, but it really does get better. Kudos to you for having hope and focusing on the positive despite feeling ill. You are an inspiration to us all. Let us know how you are doing.

Welcome FacingFuture This group of people are a wonderful support system that will offer much wisdom, kindness and emotional support.

DP - I am so glad to hear that your friend is considering to go to AA for her drinking problem. She so deserves a life of happiness and freedom from the bondage of alcohol. I hope she follows through and makes it to a meeting. It certainly isn't easy walking through the doors of AA, but the feeling that you are no longer alone in the struggle is a source of solace and hope.

The meeting last night was a good one. The topic was perseverance. I could relate to that topic because of the godawful three weeks I went through feeling absolutely miserable. There was one share that profoundly affected me. A gentlemen described his sponsee that had died. His sponsee had tried for 16 years of going to AA and having one relapse after another. He was diagnosed with brain cancer and lung cancer. Getting a diagnosis like that would very well trigger any alcoholic to drink. He did not. He only achieved 3 months of sobriety, but he died sober. I think that story will stay with me for a while. It was sad, but also inspirational in it's message.

I am hoping to hit another AA meeting tonight. Wishing everyone a good Saturday!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hope you get to the meeting, Tanja. Meetings are so beneficial--but be careful not to tax yourself too soon! (At this point, I guess you're raring to go! Anything but staying home incapacitated)!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support and the well wishes. I know this will pass eventually, just something I have to get through for now. I'm just so lacking in motivation and energy and have been kind of unwell for a week or so, but I'm staying sober, trying to eat well and reading here and getting inspiration! Thank you. xxoo It's a good feeling. My best for each of you too. If I had the energy, I'd name you, but I am thinking of you all. Love and prayers.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's hard to name everybody, isn't it, Aly? I know I can't do it! Some people must have photographic memories! Either that, or the write every poster's theme down!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Courage- I think you can go online to USPS, UPS or FedEx and request that they come pick up the delivery from your house. You can even print a shipping label for the package from their websites so it is easy to ship and you can minimize the interaction. When they pick up the package at your house, they are always in a hurry to get out of there.

Well, another day here. More house and yardwork for me today, plus some relaxing.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Caarrllooss........it's the Belmont today......California Chrome and Victor Espinoza...... Yes! All my money in one pot.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Else, sooo funny. I just wrote to you via limericks. haha

You do understand that Cali Chrome may go off at like 3 to 5 and return a whopping 40 to 60 cents on a 2 dollar bet

I need you to dig deep and get me a second and third choice too....

We will put 20 of my winnings on c chrome to win, but we need an exacta and trifecta
Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I find it difficult to say anything like that to people. My husband knows I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict and I use the words with him and here, but I do not label myself in front of anyone else. I feel it diminishes me in others eyes and I don't care to see their smug looks. I just say "No, thanks". Sometimes I mumble something about "it's bad for me" or make a joke like "that stuff makes me silly" or something. But one of my new recovery actions is to try very hard not to run myself down in any way. That's a terrible habit of mine. One I'm trying hard to stop. I think language is very powerful and the words alcoholic and drug addict carry stigmas that I don't want to carry except in private.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just my two cents on this subject for what it is worth.

I don't think that there is a finite path to long term sobriety. Regardless of any reaction in that situation, the most important point is that you do what makes you fell comfortable in your sobriety for that situation, that day, that time, that minute. I have gone both ways when offered a drink, even made joke of it (if you can believe that). For me, all that really matters in the end is that I don't drink.

This edit thing is cool...anyway Gilmer, just caught your post. You're not just any alcoholic, my dear...You are a "recovering" alkie!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's a good point.

It's odd, though--around my loved ones is the very place I don't want to refer to myself as an alcoholic!

When I think of the word "alcoholic," I think of a person who has an addiction to alcohol. I don't see stigma with it the way I would with other categories. I think of "alcoholic" as more of a clinical term.

But my pastor agrees with you. At a community group leaders' meeting, we were confessing our sins to one another (honest believers are supposed to do that voluntarily to stay healthy and clean). It was the first time I had told the group I drank every day in secret, although I had been telling my husband and pastor about it for months, every time I'd try to quit or moderate and fail.

I told the group I was an alcoholic--and my pastor quickly interrupted to say, "She wasn't falling down in the street or anything like that!"

Well, I could have been! I was just too lazy to go out into the street! I wanted to stay close to my bed so I could sleep!

Once I dated a guy pretty seriously and I quoted a song lyric that was risque. He responded, "You are so coarse!"

That devastated me. Because of my past, I had a huge stigma of not being a "nice girl," not good enough to marry. When he said that, it was as if he was condemning and showing contempt for the very fiber of my being, and I was hurt and deeply humiliated (and furious at him for helping himself to it).

But he was just trying to say that it wasn't his taste to sing songs that were risque. His esteem for me hadn't lowered--he was simply saying, "Hey, could you stop that?" as if he'd say, "Could you wipe that mustard from your mouth?"

You are right that words carry meanings.

I guess I don't mind being called an alcoholic, because I have full confidence that alcoholics can be fully restored to respectability and dignity.

Maybe some people deep down don't believe that.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Else, about to be picked up for a mtg. Here is what we have together:
#2 - Calif Chrome - $20 to win bet
2 over 4,5,9 over 4,5,9 trifecta $6 bet -
2 over 1,4,5,7,9 over 1,4,5,7,9 over 1,4,5,7,9 in superfecta $6 bet

Let's bring home a winner!!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

((((Aly))))) - Sending positive healing peaceful thoughts your way.

Tanja - I'm glad you're feeling well and are back to your regular activity level again.

Toots - I hope you enjoy your tour of the Hamptons. You'll have to let us know how the other half are living these days!

Gilmer - What a touching, honest story about how your boyfriend's words affected your spirit. On the subject of alcoholism, I'm not super out about my struggles with drinking. I am also not out about my panic disorder, or that I had a lousy childhood. I think that knowing who you are is a gift, and sharing it with others is beautiful.

Else and Carlos - uh oh!

I was up early this morning and worked a bit on my fourth step. I wrote about my beloved late grandmother. This morning I came to realize that she shared my deepest childhood pain - abandonment by a detached father and an emotionally stunted mother. We also shared some of the exact same coping mechanisms. I just realized that my adult life has been eerily similar to the one she led when she was raising her family, including having a Needyfriend. Shortly before she fell ill, she communicated to me that she was tired of the affect her friend had on her spirit. Twenty three years later, here I am doing the work.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
p***enger

Episode 4, and this should end it, I hope.

Courage had a minor meltdown upon Elijah mp3's arrival, but soon dried her tears. I'll skip all the nonsense about learning how to use the thing – it appears that with contemporary technology, there are no user manuals or instructions, you just kind of poke blindly at machines until you get a result you can live with. Oh, and despite the inclination of a natural-born culprit to keep duplicate Elijah as a backup, she did return the clone, and was very disappointed that she wasn't awarded a medal of honor for having done so. A more serious problem, though still a luxury problem, was: what in the world did Courage want to listen to?

Remember, dear readers, if anyone is still reading, Courage's goal: to get far enough into her head space that a sweating, huffing stranger mere inches away from her on a treadmill could have a heart attack and she wouldn’t notice.

Music? No, she doesn’t have a good enough ear to get really far out into music.

Talk radio? She shuns the news.

BBC/PBS/other documentaries? That was a serious consideration. Apparently you can listen to eggheads lecturing on topics from Greek oracles to the Brazilian economy, all for free. But, really, listening to herself is bad enough, isn't it?

Then she recalled someone having mentioned librivox.org. Sound familiar, someone? And then the heavens opened and all the angelic host began to sing! See, when Courage turned from a functioning alcoholic to an unmanageable drunk, one of the things that happened was she lost her ability to read. And it hasn’t come back yet. The most she can handle is like 2 pages at a time, and she often has to read even that much forward, backward, and forward again.

It’s been 3 weeks now since Elijah the mp3 player arrived. Via librivox, Courage has engaged him to read her The Canterbury Tales. She has visited the gym twice. It is her rough estimation that at the rate at which she’s proceeding, and given the length of the text, and that she’ll need to listen to each Tale at least 3 times to understand it, and that her short-term memory is shot so when and if she ever finishes she can start again -- it’s her rough estimation as I say that this project will last her the rest of her natural life. Small yay!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL Chaucer at the Gym! awesome Courage
D
Old 06-07-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That's terrific, Courage!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

And they all lived happily ever after!!! Thanks courage!! Xx
Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
That's a good point.

It's odd, though--around my loved ones is the very place I don't want to refer to myself as an alcoholic!

When I think of the word "alcoholic," I think of a person who has an addiction to alcohol. I don't see stigma with it the way I would with other categories. I think of "alcoholic" as more of a clinical term.

But my pastor agrees with you. At a community group leaders' meeting, we were confessing our sins to one another (honest believers are supposed to do that voluntarily to stay healthy and clean). It was the first time I had told the group I drank every day in secret, although I had been telling my husband and pastor about it for months, every time I'd try to quit or moderate and fail.

I told the group I was an alcoholic--and my pastor quickly interrupted to say, "She wasn't falling down in the street or anything like that!"
Obviously your pastor meant well, but I see this kind of thinking a lot too, and I think it can help people deny they have a problem. I will never describe myself as an alcoholic to my family, for example, because the attitude is basically that you can't be an alcoholic if you're functional... holding down a job, staying out of jail, sleeping in a bed and not the gutter. (We have both high and low-functioning drinkers in the family.) And it's not just my family, of course, a whole lot of people think this way.

In the end I've tried to stop thinking about the label - as it applies to me, I agree with you that the words we use carry weight in general - and focus on not drinking. Because the one thing I know for sure is I can't go on like I have been.

Sorry if that got a bit wordy, I'm on day 10 here. Still not feeling awesome but holding steady. Pretty much stayed at home all day and managed to not beat myself up too much about it and just enjoy the rest.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Aly hope your energy returns soon. I was just going thru those emotions the other week and it wasn't till I got out and got some exercise and ate some healthy meals that I felt better.

Tanja wow what a sad but neat story that, that guy died sober. Enjoy your meeting tonight.

Courage that story made me laugh.

Toots hope everything with the extension ends up working out.

Got out for a nice walk this morning and ran some errands ect.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning undies.
Took my dog for a nice walk down at the beach this early morning as the sun was coming out.
And now for some cereal with fresh strawberries and a cuppa coffee!

Grateful to wake up another day sober and hangover free. When I was walking at the beach I saw some guys crackin beers and I thought I kinda missed that but then thought well I can go join and drink if I want but I'm choosing this sober lifestyle bc having a couple beers and going on with the day is not reality for me. I would've continued all day and night.. No thanks!

Getting my hair cut & colored today for the big wedding next Saturday. My sister is a hair stylists so I'll be going to her salon. It's been darkish auburn/purple for awhile and now wanting to go pink! So going to starting the lightening process today then after the wedding will get the pastel/ light pinkish color. I didn't ask my boss but since there's no employee handbook I think technically I will be ok! If not then oops! Haha.
Thinkin something close to this::

Carlos think it would go well with your new bike?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-2009007780.jpg (52.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That is beautiful, BF, what color is your dress?