Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 33

Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi folks -- big day here! I met our very own toots for a visit in the city in the rainy a.m. and we were able to hang out together until just after lunch (a NYC slice, poor toots, I'm afraid I'm a rather unpracticed hostess , but she didn't complain.) We avoided the paparazzi and were very literary and cultured instead. Still no photographs, but I think our busts may be on display in a marble-walled hall somewhere in midtown.

Then after work, for the 2nd time in 3 days I ended up the speaker at an AA meeting. As you know, I'm not exactly 100% program, and I didn't talk about the steps, or a higher power, or even fellowship. But people seemed to react pretty well to what I had to say -- anyway, it's pointless for me to try to understand my story from anyone else's point of view. I just hope it helped somebody a little, since I guess that's what it's supposed to do.

Tomorrow morning I hit the subway at 6:30 a.m. to the Bronx. I hope it's not my turn to get lost!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Changeiscoming - Way to go on 18 days sober! It sounds like you kept yourself distracted this weekend doing some fun activities. I hope you enjoyed them.

BoozeFree - Your commitment to eating better rocks. Yum Yum Gum sounds like a better choice than the Birthday Oreos I downed tonight after AA.

Gracette - What are you reading? I'm always looking for recommendations.

Kris - I've been going for walks during my lunch break in a nature preserve that has been loaded with all sorts of butterflies. I get a kick out of bugs to begin with, but I've been enjoying them extra this spring on my walks for what they symbolize for us in recovery.

Courage - How are those trips to the people-filled fitness room?

Have a good night!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Courage - we cross posted. I'm glad you and toots were able to spend time together and, of course, avoid the sr paparazzi, although a toots, courage and mp3 selfie may be in order!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Gracette - What are you reading? I'm always looking for recommendations.

!
Right now I'm reading the 2nd to last book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series... the later books aren't as good, IMO, but the first three or so are fantastic, and now I'm determined to finish. I also just read The Rosie Project for a book club I'm in, which was a quick and very funny read. What kind of stuff do you usually read?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I realized I miscalculated my days sober somewhere along the line (my brain really felt pretty scrambled there for a while), so today is officially day 11. I'm feeling much better - my therapist said those 3 really bad days sounded like PAWS. The downside to feeling better, of course, is that now I want to go out and do things, and the only thing I really know how to go out and do is drink. I think I'm going to try to make a plan before I leave work each night of what I'm going to do that evening so I have something to stick to rather than just get home and feel restless and end up in a bar. All of this is made much worse by the fact that my bf is going to be out of town practically all summer
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi All

Back in Boston now and my feet are finally dry, boy did it rain in NYC today! Take no notice of Courage, she is the perfect hostess, cultured, witty and knowledgeable and even knows how to feed me the right kinda food! Mmmmm pizza!! Great visit as ever, and looking forward to the next!

BFree, visualisation sweetie, and remember all those people watching you Saturday, will be happily enjoying watching your mum & bf tie the knot so just relax, enjoy yourself and keep the fizz water flowing! X

CIC well done on 18 days! Keep up the good work

Kris, I like butterflies too, and moths, though a lot of people don't like them. I like bats too, we get them around our Scottish home at dusk.

GF, I'm glad yo were able to share with a friend, I felt better when I opened up to my SIL, as I was always able to to slk to her before and didn't like not talking to her about my drinking. It helps that she doesn't drink. At all, her ex was a drinker and her dad, so she just doesn't like it.

Gracette, I re read the early Dark Towers & then finished the set, last year. There is also a stand alone story, a tale Roland tells the travellers when they are buck in a storm.

Hi Gilmer

Laters
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Gracette good plan to think ahead of how to spend your time in the evenings.

Courage and toots how fun to get to hang out together!
& and courage hope you don't get lost in the Bronx tomorrow!

I'm home from work tired after a busy day.
I don't know how I ever used to be able to stay up all night after work drinking. It's 8:30 and I'm ready for bed.
Planning on waking up early tomorrow to get a good walk with my dog in before work.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Morning Undies,

I heard another phrase at last nights mtg from the Daily Reflections that can literally quantifies the ability to achieve serenity. To paraphrase, 'by not letting expectations exceed acceptance, it brings serenity."

I'm going to work on this daily (i.e.: adding a new positive daily routine, DG). I am going to set realistic DAILY , and when possible, quantifiable expectations.

During my recent 49 (funk) period my expectations had returned to abstract and not ever quantifiable. Consequently, not achieving in the abstract had me down on myself...for no measurable reason.

Wow, that's a drunk for you, all pissed at himself for not accepting overall growth in sobriety with no measurable baseline. Me thinks I needs to change my assmosis, oops, I mean osmosis...lol

I shall catch up with posts as a lunch break. Have an accepting day, Undies. Plus, no runnin with the devil, okay?

Carlos xx
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi, Gracette! I don't usually have time to read. But when I do, I like non-fiction, like histories, biographies, or explanations of things.

For the past few years I have been wrapped up with reading textbooks (I finished up my bachelors last August, and am currently chipping away at a masters).
Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

DG - CONGRATULATIONS ON 14 MONTHS OF SOBRIETY What a tremendous accomplishment! I have seen you make so many positive changes in your life in the past 14 months and I couldn't be happier for you. You have shown such an incredible amount of growth in such a short time and truly are an inspiration to us all!

Boozefree- Kudos to you for remaining sober despite facing a disappointment in early sobriety. I think anyone alcoholic or not would be disappointed if they weren't able to have their hairstyled in the way that they wanted for an important occasion. You sound like you are in a really good state to recognize that emotions are up and down in early sobriety.

ChangeisComing - Congratulations on 19 days of sobriety. It sounds like you had a good day yesterday exercising and making chocolate covered strawberries. I know for me exercise is such a valuable tool in sobriety in raising endorphins in a natural way. Keep up the good work!

Courage - It sounds like you had a terrific day yesterday meeting Toots and enjoying yourself. Kudos to you for stepping up and leading a meeting. I too try to put a lot of practical common sense suggestions in my share in addition to the traditional program suggestions.

Gracette - I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. I think it is an excellent idea to come up with a plan each day on how to spend your evening in a productive and healthy manner to avoid the old triggers.

Carlos - That quote of not letting expectations exceed acceptance it brings acceptance is spot on! It just what I needed to read today.

Gilmer - I should have heeded your advice not taxing myself too soon, but as you said I was raring to go! Managed to make it to meetings on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - but just barely. I was feeling pretty awful on Sunday, but I had no one to cover for me. Clearly, I didn't get enough rest and overdid it with the exercise just trying to get to the meeting. I paid the price for it on Monday. Today the plan is to just listen to my body and try and rest up.

Wishing everyone a sober and peaceful Tuesday!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi undies,
Checking in on my 7 month sober anniversary! I made it this far last year and then slipped, so I'm looking forward to keeping it going on the right path this time.
Today is golf trip day. Going to Catalina Island Course, then fancy dinner, then a hotel. Hopefully a hike in the morning before we head back. Loving the sober life and having lots of time to do quality activities. No more wasted time being wasted.
Hope you are all well. I'll have to catch up later. Have a great day undies.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations on 7 months Siesta!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Siesta-Congrats on 7 months!!

Courage and Toots- I'm a bit jealous that the two of you got to hang out and eat pizza!

Tanja- Try to enjoy your rest day.

BFree- Your morning walks alwasy sound so nice. I need to start getting up earlier and doing that! I've been working on the getting up earlier part lately- I've started setting my alarm and dragging myself out of bed. The plan is to move it to even earlier in a few days.

Carlos- You seem like you're working your way back to a better mental state.

My plan for the day is to tackle some work stuff and then go to yoga class this evening. For the first 11 months or so of recovery I was religious about doing my yoga. I've been slacking on it a lot lately and I think that has contributed to my not feeling quite as well as I could. I hit the mat yesterday and did a YouTube yoga class at home for the first time in weeks and I realized how much tension I was holding in my body and how badly I needed it. I've been busy and sometimes feel like I'd rather get stuff done than go to yoga class or do it at home, but I think I need to remember that I need to take care of myself physically and mentally too.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Siesta - Congratulations on 7 months sober! Way to go!

I've been working on my anxiety, and I've been carrying a mixture of guilt, anger and anxiety about Needyfriend. Every time I go someplace where she might be, or see people who she knows, I clench up with guilt, shame, and anxiety.
Was I too harsh? She had childhood onset ocd, a serious mental illness.

My mind meandered to where obsessions and addictions intersect. I had been holding Needy less responsible for having healthy, principled behavior because of her mental illness. Then someone told me they think that we alcoholics are mentally ill. It got me thinking, if we as addicts hold the power to heal the broken parts of ourselves, it follows that Needy should be held accountable for the damage her obsessive behavior inflicts.

My contemplation resulted in more questions - Why was I drawn to her? Why did I allow her to control me? I'm only beginning to figure all of this out. That's ok.

What did happen right away was a beautiful freedom from guilt. No more doubting myself. No more anxiety. I am confident in my decision to move on, not dependent on others' approval of my decision to feel ok about it.

Some intense contemplation and outrageous inner peace up here!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations Siesta on 7 Months!!! you are sounding great.

GF sounds like you have made more progression, if you can allow the guilt to go, and not feel you base your self opinion on the judgement of others, you are really moving forward. As adults we all have a choice whether to accept ourselves as we are or work on self improvement. N must know she has issues, it is her choice not to get help, just as it is your choice to no longer carry the burden of her self absorbed friendship.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Just checking in.................

Great that you two got to meet up, Courage. I bet it was a "toot." Couldn't resist.
Glee, good for you on those walks in the preserve. It gives us the soul time we need. I sure miss my walks in the woods here with a bad knee. I need to do something about it.
I like funny lately and it needs to be a quick read. Thanks, Gracette for the heads up on the Rosie Project. You're full of nervous energy. Maybe a power walk with an audio book.
Toots, we both must be batty. I love all of nature. Do worry a bit about the bigger animals though.
Free, an early bedtime sounds cozy now to me.
Carlos, I start every morning with meditation and Reflections. I really like that one to ponder on.
Way to go on your masters, Gilmer!

CONGRATULATIONS Siesta! Good going on 7 months and surpassing your previous time.
I understand that well. Right now I'm at the same point where before I would always seem to fall off. Something different in the air lets HOPE!

Hello to all those mentioned and not and sweet sober dreams for all.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
p***enger

Oh I just posted a great long thing about getting lost in Chaucer instead of the Bronx, and bears & raccoons (for Kris), moderation in all things (Tanja), "Don't Borrow Trouble" (gleefan), the sequel to The Shining (gracette), no such thing as too much rest in early recovery (BoozeFree), trying to put my feet behind my neck (DG), and 1,000 other things. And Carlos, how could you not have reacted to that line about busts on display? Was it too too obvious?

Poof! It disappeared in a wrong click. This was the Reader's Digest version.

Hugs to all!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
p***enger

PS DG don't be jealous -- I'm an old hag truly & toots just keeps me company sometimes 'cause she's co-dependent & I need help crossing streets.

PPS DG do you have any particular yoga youtube recommendations?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Goodnight Courage, Everyone...........
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
p***enger

OMG that's fabulous Kris! I want to see one!!! I love Michigan.