Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 31

Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Carlos, forget the sledgehammer, get a sawzall! Need any questions answered, shoot me an email, I've been in construction and renovations all my working life..

Just back home from work at the Church, Bubba says supper time soon.... have a great evening Undies!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Courage

D
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi undies
Sorry I didn't get my morning check in this morning.
Thanks for all the congrats!

Dottie hope your dads health improves and you have a better day tomorrow.

Toots tell your hubby Ssshhhhhhh!! Funny thing is the high end turntables with right equipment deliver an amazing sound and warmer tones.

Yes I am def like a kid on Christmas Day. Took 2 hours to set everything up but I am super stoked! Started off with a band called schematic and now some Mötley Crüe. I am amazed at how much clearer the sound is and the instruments I missed when listening to my iPod or car stereo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-2363632955.jpg (42.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Carlos- He cooked for me, we went out a few times, and we ate the continental breakfast at the motel in the mornings. And we didn't watch any movies. The TV was on at times, but I can't say that we were really watching it.

We had a blast. He was very sweet and I think he's really a great guy.

This is pretty much my first relationship that hasn't involved alcohol and/or drugs. (Although we did first start talking during my drinking days.) I did at times wonder how I would ever be able to go on a date, etc. without drinking. But when I was with him, I really didn't think about wanting to drink beyond a few fleeting thoughts like when we were walking and it was hot and I felt tired and there was a sign for cold beer. I didn't miss not having alcohol in the equation- we had a fine time without it. We had good, clean fun (OK, there may have been a few dirty parts).

AND I know that I've had problems in my life previously because I was with guys that were drinking/doing drugs and it changed their behavior. I always had relationships with people that I could drink and smoke weed with. It's really nice to know that he does't do drugs and only occassionaly drinks. And he doesn't have a problem with not drinking around me. He's supportive of my desire to be clean and sober.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

BFree- Thanks for the pic. Wish I could come over to listen to a few tunes with you.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
p***enger

Beautiful setup, BF -- form & function combined. I'm glad you had this goal & achieved it & are enjoying it -- another Undie experiencing the rewards of sobriety!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

DG that's awesome you had such a good time! I've also only dated guys that also drank and used drugs in a pretty heavy matter! And ya finally being able to play my vinyl is fun.

Courage I am glad as well to finally be able to get a turntable. It's been something I've wanted for a few years now and I think music is a pretty healthy trade for booze!

Ok one last pic before I'm off to bed!

Now listening to:
Attached Images
image-876676587.jpg (86.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looking pretty sweet BF

D
Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Wow, BF--records are multi-colored now! In my day they were black and did nothing but skip! Maybe that was the fault of my cheap turntable, though.

Toots, my husband got home from work early yesterday. As soon as he opened the door, I said, "Quick! Block SR! I'm turning into a monster!"

I'm back in my familiar McDonalds perch this morning.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

BF' I adore your turntable!!!!! yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a quick note to say hi and a happy day to every undie.

DP
xx
Old 05-06-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies:

Day 12 of 20. Finally up after tossing and turning for a few hours. The glass half full knows that another sleepless night equals exhaustion followed by a good nights sleep.

Gilmer, thanks for sharing your story on the 24 hour thread. Glad that you have made it back to your comfort zone. Don't eat the apple pie. Read a story with pics of a dude that kept an apple pie from there and is celebrating 25 years with it. IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE IT DID WHEN HE WAS GIFTED IT A QUARTER CENTURY AGO. The box shows more wear and tear than the pie. It consists of 100% artificial stuff, does not include anything that would classify as food. Sooo bizarre. I promise to hit you up on Limerick's later.

BF, way cool! Mazel tov, young lady! Yes, the gift of sobriety can be tangible, and at the same time make some waves.

DG, thank you for the detailed update. What a gift that you have given yourself of being able to be sober and in the present as you begin a new chapter. The waiting one year thing seemed so arbitrary to me until I heard someone share something about a relationship that made perfect sense. He said that he knew he was heading down a dangerous path when he replaced his HP with a relationship.

Cowboy, thanks for the heads up. The sledge hammer is for the built in seating that surrounds the old deck. I may take your advise and just scrap that idea anyway. My sawzall is ready for when I hit the deck (figuratively). I didn't get started yesterday. Wasn't in the mood. I have a couple weeks till we begin the construction and another retired AA buddy wants to come over and hang out to help just to kill a day later this week.

Courage, you got it. My emotions are up and down and all around. No pat on the back here, but I'm doing okay given the emotional slowdown this has created. How did your day go? Wow, you totally nailed the phase approach! Gotta ask, now that you identified it, what does it mean?

Siesta, I hope that you enjoyed your bike trip with hubby!

Toots, lets see, in just the past weeks and new to me you have disclosed your "so called" skills via a pool table and 18 months in steel toes non goth or grunge related, but wielding a sledge hammer. If I look up enigma in the dictionary it should include your pic.

Glee, yes the WOW factor was in every aspect of my life throughout my non-drinking years. Social, especially work (love giving initial presentations and getting people on the edge of their seats), athletic, relationships, etc. I would always say that I got more joy out of collecting the check than the check I get for collecting the check. I have always been comfortable in the spotlight.

I didn't miss drinking one single iota during those years. I won countless trips all over the world for my ex and I and the overriding theme was to enjoy the spoils and party. I did, without even a hint of wanting or needing booze to consummate enjoyment.

No, I was not a dry drunk. Life was good. Future so bright I had to wear shades.

Here is what I see was a few of the problems with that self-centered approach. Where was the humility? Where was helping others without wanting in return. I was spiritually bankrupt. Life was a party, no matter what. My self gratification really didn't require an altered state.

Yes, I have truly come to realize through working the steps of AA that drinking was merely a symptom of this all encompassing disease. I went to stop drinking, I stay to change my thinking.

I was feeding that monster with all of my indulgence and when it resurfaced it was so much stronger than my superficial soul. That's why it took me 12 years of suffering till the light-bulb finally went off.

I may not possess nearly the material things that I did in my past life, but the path I have chosen to follow in TOTAL recovery has me more optimistic than ever.

I am learning to live my life like my dear departed dog Rufis taught me. His song was, "Rufis is a good, good, good, he's a nice, nice nice. He's a good, he's a nice, he's a good, good, nice.

Simple goals for a complex alkie. But I am trying!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Dropping in to say hi everyone.

Jim
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Saying Hi here too. Been busy and dealing (or not dealing really) with a sick auto. I am afraid to take it in, in fact I can't as it won't start, because I do not want to deal with what is wrong. The good weather is allowing me to walk to most places I need to go. But that gets old since I am old!

Oh well...

Have a good one Undies!

DC

Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Carlos - Thank you so much for offering up the topic of discussing Step 5 as a topic and sharing your story of your last drunk. I could relate so well to being a binge drinker and drinking fast and hard and the horrible physical and emotional ramifications the next few days. But, like you I soon forgot and started the whole horrible process all over again. Your post on recovery is so uplifting. I am so happy to hear that your path in recovery has you more optimistic than ever. You have to know as an ardent animal lover I absolutely loved the fact that you are trying to live your life like your dearly departed Rufis! Animals can teach us a lot about how to live our lives. They don't hold resentments and live fully in the moment.

Gleefan - Thank you for sharing your story on your last drunk. Like you I stopped drinking because I knew it truly was a life and death matter. Even so, the stopping part wasn't instantaneous. It took me about 4 months attending AA before I finally put the drink down for good.

((DP)) - I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's health issues. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

LBran - Welcome to the Undies group and congratulations on over 4 months of sobriety.

Babs - Good to hear from you. It sounds like you are doing well and your always cheerful self.

Courage - It is good to know that you worry has subsided with the media event. Kudos to you for staying sober in what sounds like a pretty stressful event. I would love to be sitting in the room when you do get to share your strength, experience and hope.

Boozefree - Belated Congratulations on 4 weeks of sobriety I am so happy you found a way to treat yourself and are enjoying your turntable so much!

As for me, I never did make it to my Sunday meeting because despite my requisite 6 miles on the treadmill I just wasn't feeling up to it. I spent Monday basically just sleeping trying to catch up on my sleep. This week has been challenging in terms of not feeling well. I found myself in a very bad state of mind due to my sleep deprivation. I tried repeating my mantra "I am alive and I am sober" to get through it and having hope "That this too shall pass". I did find out that Lauren was not admitted to detox, but instead to the Emergency Room. She was released the next day and had no recollection of what had transpired the day before. Her friend spent the day and night with Lauren. Lauren was talking about drinking. Her friend left to go home and Lauren tried to commit suicide. She is now in the hospital and seeking inpatient treatment. I hope and pray that she gets the treatment that she needs. She has a 2 year old son that needs his Mom.

Wishing everyone a hopeful and positive Tuesday!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Wow, BF--records are multi-colored now! In my day they were black and did nothing but skip! Maybe that was the fault of my cheap turntable, though.
In my house we had a red vinyl 45 of Alvin and the Chipmunks. We played it on this machine. My sister also had a Close N'Play.
Attached Images
phonograph.jpg (9.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Aw Drake, I think you need to bite the bullet sweetie and at least find out the prognosis so you can either pay for recovery or a funeral. And how can that lovely man in all the glass beads ever feel old!!

Carlos, you ain't seen nuthin yet! That album cover on BFrees phot brought up a carefully suppressed memory of spending a holiday season cleaning public toilets in a British resort town. No wonder I suppressed it. Yeesh!

Courage, why worry about lightening your grim tale, tell it like it was, if it hadn't felt so bad, you wouldn't have wanted to work so hard at changing it.
I haven't been to her museum yet, actually I forgot! But it's closed Tuesdays, I will make it my mission to go on Thursday!
Gilmer, I will be sorry not to see so much of you over the next few days, but glad you are hitting the books again. Your work ethic won't allow you to slack too long, and I don't want you feeling guilty.

GF are you still Needyfree?

BFree, I am so happy that you not only have something tangible to celebrate your sobriety, but get to experience music in a whole new way. That is pretty awesome. In reverse I guess it is how us oldies felt when we heard our bands on cd for the first time!

Cowboy, will you stop messin with my libido! First it is rearing horses and sunsets, now it is rippling muscles wielding destruction! I'm going to have to take myself in hand and have a cold shower! Ahem.

DG, the weekend sounds promising, I'm glad you both had such a lovely time. How far away from each other are you? And what of future plans?

SJ, need more from you than that love.

Dottie, good to see you.

Tanja, are you sleeping any better this week?

Well Undies old and new, I'm offski, too much to do to slack off any longer.

Big loves
Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Gilmer ya it still is pressed on black vinyl but limited color releases come out a lot and that's what I try to collect. I do have some black tho when the colored presses where already sold out.

Courage that's rad. Along of people really like the vintage players still!

Woke up early so listening to more music of corse! So grateful to be sober today and feel alive instead of numb each day!
Big 30 days today!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

BF big congrats on the big 30 days!!!
It is great to be sober.

I'm sitting at a car dealership where I'm having a couple things done to my new to me car. Just got it a couple weeks ago. Not something I could've done without getting sober. Since I've gotten sober, I've worked enough hours to get a raise at work and saved enough to get the car without help from hubby. Before getting sober my old car was constantly getting towed because of parking tickets and expired registration and I also lost my license for awhile. It's good to be on track and taking care of things now. On top of that I'm even keeping it clean. My friend used to call me "yard sale" because of the way I kept my old car. Everything in it all over the place. She used to reach under the seat and find tickets and yell at me. Nothing under the seats now. I feel like a grown up!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

hi undies--just stopping in to say hi !! doing ok--I have a Dr. appt this afternoon so, hope to get BP and everything else taken care of. I haven't been to a dr. in a few years so, I guess it's time. stay close everyone.
Babs
Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Dropping by to check out the thread and to say hi. Know a lot of you from the other threads so hope all is well.

Checking out the posts and I'll drop by again.