Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 4

Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Mariah ,
...sorry you had to go thru that kind of worry off some misinformation.
Like adna said , hope those other folks make it.

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
If you're into dystopian novels, have you ever read The Long Walk by Stephen King?

Mrsbee, I read that years ago, but wanted to thank you for the new word,

dystopian

...actually two new words today

.....,,crankypants

I always stuck to non fiction , .... until I got sober the first time actually.
...lol ....I know that don't sound right. I should say , I didn't read much , ,,,,,,,,,,,.......but the little I read was non fiction

This friend thought Stephen King would be a good one to start (for a rookie),
I think it was The Stand

wiki is calling it : post-apocalyptic horror/fantasy novel

The Long Walk was great.

now..............
................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.I won't read non fiction !?!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hey all...........End of day 5 and still alive. Applekat's quote of "I never regret not drinking" has hit home with me.... Whilst driving today on an open Australian highway I had a mild panic attack, lasted about 15 minutes, completely out of the blue. Hands and face broke out into a sweat, breath was short and mind started really panicking.
I managed to breathe my way out of it.
Fear is a terrible thing.
Despite those 15 minutes which were quite full on, was in a quite a good mood today, slightly proud of myself for managing this long and for being so committed to being sober.
I'm not sure if this is a trap, leading to a downfall (pride cometh before the fall) or I'm now being paranoid!
Either way not taking any thoughts too seriously at the moment.
Great to catch up on all the posts here, which as always give me strength that I'm not alone in this.
I'm reading Counseling for Toads by Robert de Board, it's a great simple read, quite profound for me as I see quite a bit of myself in Toad's situation....
Best wishes to all the class, it's great to being forward in a team!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Good morning all!
I got to sleep early but had vivid nightmares and finally got up at 3:30. I don't know if my awful sleep the past 3-4 nights has to do with withdraw, my cold/allergies or if I am just going back to my insomniac pattern from when I was a kid coming back, but in ready for it to end!!

I might be a bit excited also because a few new chick will be headed my way in the next few hours.

Mariah- my heart literally dropped when I read the first bit of what happened! I can't imagine your actual panic! I'm so glad your son is ok! Whew.

Ok, I'm off to find a HUGE mug of coffee.....
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

I don't really know where to post this so I'll just ask here.... is anyone else getting beer ads on other website pages? Like being on SR has made my google ads beer ads? Am I nuts? I'm not really tech savvy so I don't know what you call that happening.... but like when they use your previous searches to generate ads? lol... I'm fine with it for now, but later today when AV kicks in that will just be another little thing grating on me! Anyone know how to stop it if that is indeed what is happening? TIA!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

ChickChick, I've got Adblock Plus installed so I don't see ads except on a few websites I added exceptions for because I want to support them. Works great.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Kitten, I've got it installed now...
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also use AdBlock

D
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Cool! I hope that helps.

19 days here. I picked up a bag of decaf coffee last night and mixed it half and half with my regular coffee, hoping to slowly replace it all with decaf. I've never heard anything credible about caffeine being bad for you, but at this point I'm willing to try giving it up in the hopes of improving my sleep and maybe reducing anxiety. Advil is ready to deal with the headaches.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Congrats on 19 days kitten!!

I used to drink half calf coffee I really couldn't tell that much of a difference, but I mostly just liked a warm beverage. Its funny two years ago I quit drinking coffee and was proud of myself... but I kept right on drinking! What skewed thinking I had! Now I'm back to the coffee and the drinking is gone... it won't switch around again! I'll quit the coffee again when I'm feeling very confident in not drinking or smoking.
I doubt you will have headaches if you cut down slowly with half calf.... at least I hope not.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Kitten - that's a great idea - doing a 'half caff'.

Rock - glad you're here with us! I'm working on a hubby that doesn't quite get it yet either. But it's up to us, ultimately.

Soliloquy - I understand what you are saying! I try to remind myself that I put my body through variations of abuse for years so it's going to take more than just a couple days to even out and longer for benefits to appear, I presume! I'm currently 'sugar-replacing' with other things....ehem...easter candy, etc!

Mariah - thank goodness kiddos are OK.

Day 8 here but I have to say, I had no idea I would just fill the missing wine calories with everything else in sight. I know what my first and foremost priority is, though. But at some point I will have to monitor everything else, too. Hope to get back running on my foot maybe tomorrow.

Happy and healthy Wednesday everyone!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

On day 25 now! And I'm feeling great!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Day 16.

I read a lot of your posts last night and from day 1 to day day 30, all are inspiring. I've felt great the last few days. Work and the gym has been keeping me preoccupied from this forum, so I'm sorry. Not sure what has changed, but my hope of the future is overriding any urge to drink. A personal discovery for me has been how selfish of person I am when I drink. All that matters is how drunk Nolan feels, how I can't sleep, how unfair it is that I can't drink. Sober, I don't feel so self absorbed. I don't want to be a burden to my family and friends in order to justify my drinking.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Haha topspin as a literature and grammar nerd I'm glad to introduce you to classy words like "crankypants!!!" So funny/awesome

The Stand is the first Stephen King that I read!!!! A little daunting but great nonetheless. My husband is a SK freak so I luckily have access to almost all his work. My favorite is The Dark Tower series though (my avatar is Dark Tower-themed!)....it's funny how you say you used to only read non-fiction and now you read mostly fiction. I'm obsessed with reading in general but up until a few years ago I never read non-fiction for leisure and now that's almost all I read especially now with drinking memoirs and such.

Well, I hope everyone has a great day! My mom is a high school art teacher and today after school she's doing a fine arts project with about 100 kids where they make art out of old books (appropriate considering this post lol)...so I am driving out to the school with books and supplies to help her set up . Should be fun!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Good morning, albeit a tired one. I did not sleep well last night, as usual, and I'm fighting the urge to have a 4th cup of coffee.

Areyoukitten: I also plan on cutting back on the coffee. My goal is to slowly work toward only one cup per day and then possibly replace it with something else sometime in the future.

Obosob: I often feel panicked while driving. It gets really bad within the few days after a night of drinking. Sometimes I am scared to drive.

rockstonic: that was really brave of you to go to the ER. I'm glad that you were able to make that reality check for those around you.

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew at this point in time, but my decision to abstain from drinking is just one part of the lifestyle shift I am making. Yes, it is a major part. I'm sick of feeling like I am wasting my life by not reaching my mental/physical potential. I worry myself sick over everything constantly. I have low self esteem about my physical and mental state. When I drink it makes me feel better. But then it makes me feel worse for way longer than it made me feel better.

Well, I thought I'd share something really simple that has been helping me:

I've read that when you are trying to make positive changes in your life it helps to think "What has worked for me in the past?" . I started thinking about that and remembered a time about 5 years ago when I was trying to lose baby weight from my daughter. I bought one of those cheap little planners that you can find at the dollar store. In it, I kept track of my weight and exercise. I stuck to it, and I'm not one to stick to things. It worked and I quit after I reached my goal.
Well I decided to buy another planner. I have been writing in it mostly every night for the past couple weeks. I write my plans and goals for the following day. I don't get detailed. I simply put what I have to do and what I want to do. I also sometimes add things to the list that I did that day that weren't planned. If I do not accomplish something I planned to that day, I cross it out and write it again for the next day. After crossing something out and writing it again a few days in a row, you really want to get it done (For instance organizing the computer desk that I've been meaning to do for weeks). I have been consistently exercising and I believe that this has helped. It also helps me keep track of when I did certain things like household tasks.
I have tried keeping planners online multiple times and I never stick to it. There's something about writing it out and making it personal that really helps me. And when it's online it's really easy to forget about. Out of sight out of mind. I really enjoy being able to look back on the days and being able to know what happened and when. It's gratifying too to see the positive things that I've done. I plan on keeping track of everything significant that happens even if it's negative but so far it's all been good. I know that if I slip up I will have to record it in my beloved planner and I really don't want to taint it with that!

OK enough with the caffeine fueled rambling...
Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

An Afghan Village Of Drug Addicts, From Ages 10 to 60 : Parallels : NPR

Just heard this story on NPR and thought I would share. For me it was quite tragic to hear, but it also made me thankful to live in a place where simple access to support for recovery is possible. That and it also shows addiction has no concept of borders, race, creed, or country.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Day Four for me and just quickly skimmed some of the posts.

Hey Nolan, I am a Nebraskan too! Great to have you here!

Will check in again later to see how all is doing. Let's all make today another sober, great day!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Just read your last post Nolan and we have NPR in common as well. I am a devoted fan and will be listening to On Point here soon! Have a great sober day in Omaha!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone

Mariah- what a scare!

Hope everyone has a great day😎
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
ST I love Battle Royale also! If you're into dystopian novels, have you ever read The Long Walk by Stephen King? Other good ones are Margaret Atwood's A Handmaiden's Tale and classics like 1984 (George Orwell) and Brave New World (Aldous Huxley). I'm about halfway done with Divergent and really like it but I think I'm going to crack into Dry before bed. Oh and I LOVED the Hunger Games series
Awesome! I'm gonna start the first one. Do you agree with me that the author of HG stole that idea from BR? Or at least influenced it insanely?!? I have had this debate with others and stand by BR being the predecessor. Even down to the sectioned off pieces of land with "danger zones" in BR and the various weather and environmental conditions in HG. The only reason she didn't get pinched is cause of the fact the DVD and books were banned in the states at the time.