Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 11

Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Trudging, so happy to hear your husband is hanging in there in his sobriety. I got my hair done yesterday, too. I really does make a world of difference, doesn't it? Especially as we get older . . . .
Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Meds didn't make me sleepy. Actually was up every hr. Was terrible. Feel better except for no sleep. My over zealous wife fell through the floor of the burned out house ( completely idiotic), while "searching for something", and broke her elbow bone. I'm so over the dumb stuff. I mean, really.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your wife JL.
Give the meds time - they can take a little while to work.

D
Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Jeez, JL...."the hits just keep on coming"....I can sooooo relate! 2 attorneys (out of 13 contacted) said they will not take my case....BUT....got an e-mail from another one who wants me to "come in" for a free consultation and "bring" my evidence....lol. Even though, in my initial contact, I CLEARLY state that I live in Costa Rica I am on a mission! Yes, DD....having my hair done DOES make me feel great! Very excited....my long time girlfriend is on a cruise with her hubby that stops in Costa Rica next Sunday! We will drive to meet the ship! Another busy day ahead....just watching birds build a nest in one of our mobiles outside this morning Hubby said yesterday, "Now I know what you mean. I am feeling like my old self again."
Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

JL, sorry about your wife, but like the fire, it could have been worse. I wouldn't ask what she was thinking at this point, it's over and done.

I enjoy getting a haircut too. Then I have to break out the Grecian formula, lol. There is something refreshing about a haircut.

Trudging, I'm glad to hear that your husband is starting to feel some benefits. This is when you know it was a good idea to quit. It took me past a month to start feeling better.

I took my 15 year old son out driving on US 1 today. It's the busiest road down here and he did well. Then he asked to go to Shake Shack. Burger, Fries, and a shake, yum. Thank god I logged 7 miles at the gym this morning! Definitely not health food but it was a good to eat whatever I wanted today. Life's too short.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Six months without a drink today. And I am honestly so grateful that my life has been transformed with such positivity and freedom to be ME No longer cursed, or chained to that daily intake of poison. I AM HAPPY AND SOBER everyday and it feels fantastic
Old 04-26-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Takeoff, congrats on six months.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Takoda

D
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good for you, Takoda! It really IS an amazing feeling ....and one of FREEDOM, right?! Billr, I SOOOO love that I can eat almost anything now.....I cannot believe the calories/carbs I was consuming through alcohol! Have a great Sunday, everyone!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Trudging, I have to agree about how many calories and carbs I was saving, but also the artificial sweeteners I was using in the mixers! I think I've had one or two diet sodas in the last 6 months. I now drink iced tea or yerba mate with just lemon and no sweetener. I still enjoy carbs, i.e. Pasta, fresh baked bread, etc.

I'm going to try and talk the family into going to south beach once they wake up. I like walking amongst the shops on ocean drive and the shopping district with open air eateries on Lincoln drive. It's a lot of fun once up you are able to find parking. It's funny but it gets less crowded in summer.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about summer in Florida, Bilr. It is my favorite just because of the less crowded feature. My son went to his senior prom last night. He had a great time and more importantly, got home safe. Another milestone . . . . (Swallowing lump in my throat)
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

DD, my daughters prom was last weekend at a beautiful place. Yes, I too was worried about her getting home safe but she is a lot more responsible than I was at her age. We even talk about kids drinking which is not something I would have ever discussed with my parents.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Takoda, congrats on 6 months!

Phew, ’tobers, the past 4 days I spent with my family - they were all drinking. I wasn't, of course. They were all very cordial about my non-drinking, it wasn't nearly as bad a I thought, thankfully. My mom and aunt even got me sparkling water. Being sober I was able to see some of the ways my mom and I interact - wow - talk about insightful; she gets a little mean when she drinks and the self-criticism runs rampant.

I also started Arianna Huffington's new book (audiobook) "Thrive". Most of it's pretty good and provides some techniques and ways to slow down and shift your life through small changes. I'll definitely implement some of the stuff she suggests. A weekend packed full of learning, not so bad for a 40-something birthday weekend.

Happy Sunday!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Reflection!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many happy returns Reflection

D
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday Reflection. I'm glad you had a good weekend.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Way to go, Takoda!!

Happy birthday, Reflection!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday, Reflection! Yes....so interesting how we see things a bit differently when sober....gonna check out that book Talking to attorneys today....getting my "ducks in a row"!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Trudging, Good luck with getting your ducks in a row. It looks like I have to wait until next week to get an answer on the job situation. I'm trying to be patient but that only goes so far. The best thing for my own psyche is to think I'm not getting it.

The weather down here has turned very hot and humid in a hurry. I guess that's typical South Florida. We could use some rain as I've never seen the grass look this bad in the last two years.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Seven months sober for me today, guys. I have to admit with the weather changing and us going to more outdoor restaurants, my AV has gotten me to muse on just having a glass of wine here or there when I am out, but luckily, I haven't wanted to seriously act on it. I guess I have reached that complacent stage. I saw something on another thread about having an important relationship with yourself and I think that is what I am trying to work on.

I am avoiding Mother's Day like the plague this year with my mom. (last year's disaster when she showed up to the restaurant totally drunk, is when I finally admitted to myself that my mother is a full-blown alcoholic) My sister invited them to TX but I do not think they are going. I will probably invite her to brunch, but I can't pretend that my feelings aren't all over the map, with this.