Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 11

Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello Octoberites!

Yes, I'm still on Planet Earth and still amoung the ranks of the sober. I can only attribute my absence to being busy and sloth.

Trudging ... Thanks again for the note asking about my status. I deeply appreciate you reaching out.

Reading some recent posts, I have to admit that my current feelings about drinking are along the line of LS's. I still harbor thoughts of being a normal drinker. I know where a single drink would lead, but I do sometimes wish I could enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or a cold beer after a dusty baseball game. I'm not giving in, but the desire is still present. I'm beginning to think that while the voice will hopefully continue to diminish in volume, it will never completely go away.

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
I saw a great quote this morning that I wanted to share with you all: You may think the grass is greener on the other side, but if you take the time to water your own grass, it will be just as green.
What a coincidence! My neighbor taped the very same quote to my front door the other day. What's up with that?!

Carry on 'Tobers.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad that you are still with us and sober, Whodey!!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

WD! Good to see you! The universe must be trying to tell you something with the quote? I saw it on Facebook so it must be making the rounds on there, but it's a good one. I think I might make a sign and tape it to my own door!

Reflection, I hope this date works out well! Sounds like you have a great attitude about dating and being aware of what you're looking for and what you want/don't want in your life. Good for you! And a pastry chef...that sounds tasty

DD, although I do drink decaf coffee (but sometimes regular), I feel the same way you do about nonalcoholic wine and beer. I'd much rather have something that tastes better for the calories. I don't want to be reminded of the taste of beer or wine because I have a feeling that the only thing it'll accomplish is making me crave beer or wine. Forget that! I don't even want to go there. What's the point? I'd rather change my drink completely so that I can change my thinking about it. I'll be enjoying fresh juice or iced tea on my balcony and on restaurant patios this summer. It was nice of your sister to bring it up, but I think people don't really understand unless they've done this themselves.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Who, so nice to see you back here…glad you're doing well! Almost 6 months for the two of us. I hear you about the sloth.

I like the idea of taping that quote - everywhere!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

All of you know that I was an, at home, by myself drinker for the most part. Last night I had a bit of a test with my wife and daughter away for a visit to FSU, and my son who was out with friends. So it was just me alone by myself (with the dogs). I had a couple of moments where I thought, "why not drink", "nobody will know". It was never really a serious thought but I have to be honest and say it was there in the back of my mind. I just view it as another passed test that should strengthen me going forward. I played the tape forward to today forward, knowing that last night would have just opened the floodgates to hell. I got through seasons 1-5 of The Office months ago, and put a pretty good dent in season 6 last night. I think the stress of waiting for an answer on the job, and the boredom of being alone was not a good combination.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck reflection

Bilr - I've often said it's not our thoughts that are the measure of our recovery, but what we do in response.

I think you definitely passed

good to see you WhoDey, DD and trudging - hope things are better JL

Have a wonderful day - night gang!
D
Old 04-19-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good job, Bilr!!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I forgot you Fish - you too Driver and LS...murphys law...

D
Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Bilr, that is a tough situation, I completely understand...great job and good choice not giving into the thoughts!

The date went well, maybe another one sometime soon. It was great not drinking, it felt healthy and like two people just bejng themselves, no pretense. I'm looking forward to more sober dating!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Happy Easter, Tobers!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

We went to a church service last night and the minister was talking about the gospel Luke. He focused on the part where men were walking and lamenting what had happened to Jesus on the cross, and how sad and distraught they were, and all at the same time, the risen Jesus was walking with them and they didn't recognize Him. The minister was saying that sometimes we get so focused on our sadness, hurts and disappointments that we forget that Jesus is right there with us, to lighten the load. He said that is often after we go through something that we look back and see what God has done in our lives, but he reminded us to trust right in the middle of the storm. I don't mean to sermonize here. I just really liked the message.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The message seems quite appropriate, DD! WD...glad to be of service. Really nice to see you here again Good for you, Billr! That is EXACTLY how I felt when we moved here and knew no one.....who would know??? I have heard that there are no such things as coincidences..... "Coincidences are God's way of staying anonymous ". Finalizing the appeal to the President today. Glad to be sober to be able to deal with this bureaucracy!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy Easter friends. Many blessings to you all!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy Easter to all. I'm asking for a new life and a new beginning.
Talked to my -one foot in the grave- drink/drug/pill- brother last night to wish him happy Easter. It was horrible. We took my bi
Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Here just typed more twice, and lost it. Suffice it to say life sucks, I cried I prayed, I lost it, just too much on me. Not drinking today though. Hope I'm not talking to myself when I pray. My faith is pretty shaken these days
Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Here just typed more twice, and lost it. Suffice it to say life sucks, I cried I prayed, I lost it, just too much on me. Not drinking today though. Hope I'm not talking to myself when I pray. My faith is pretty shaken these days
JL, I am sorry you are going through so much. I will say a prayer for you and your family. I'm glad to hear that you are not drinking.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Even though it doesn't always feel like it, I promise you, JL, that these are the times He is carrying you. I promise you. My prayers and juju are going out to you big time. Good that you are not drinking!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My daughter will now officially be going to FSU now. Finally that part is behind us. I'm really happy that she is staying in state, only a car drive away.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

That's great news, Bilr! The kids staying in-state really does make the whole "letting go" thing a good bit easier, doesn't it? I don't want to be a stalker, but I want to be able to get to him quickly, if the need arises!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm not ready to let go yet. It is going to be very strange for her to be gone.