Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 11

Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Yes, there are non drinkers, absolutely. I don't want to drink, and won't regardless of the social pressure. I just don't want to make any hosts uncomfortable. I'm sure they will just shrug it off because not everyone drinks. One thing about Spain and Argentina, there is much less binge drinking, especially people who are middle aged and older. I've read articles where they are starting to have problems with younger people and binge drinking. When I lived there it was seen as insulting to appear in public intoxicated (boracho). I actually didn't drink much at all the last year I lived there, believe it or not.

I'm actually okay with not getting this job. I really just wanted an answer as I hate things hanging out there unanswered. To me I win if I work, and I win if I don't work. It tends to be a little boring without family or friends here but work really wouldn't solve that. I've never been one to socialize much with people that I work with. I'm going to take the time now to enjoy the last summer with my daughter and the trip to Argentina would be her and I.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Good attitude Billr! Just one, of many reasons, that I did not quit drinkinking here is because we had some very good friends here who were from Switzerland. They had wine each time we went to dinner or over to socialize in the evening. BUT...they would have one....maybe two glasses. I thought that was so sophisticated....and I could do it too....NOT! When I quit..that's exactly what happened....they just "shrugged it off" I have to agree, here....everything happens for a reason...there is something better for you ahead.....all the best!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi 'tobers! I've taken some time off of SR, but not sobriety. Things are still moving forward...working on myself, still trying to figure out (and accept, I guess) how I fit into the world, sans alcohol...especially in family situations. I feel like I'm a little stuck, but have been here before and know I'll eventually "unstick". I continue to focus on being creative and expending more energy working on the yard and getting a walk in everyday, which seems to be helping. I'm trying to settle in with being ok with being me - "blemishes" and all!

Bilr, sorry to hear about the job, but I'm glad you finally heard. I really like your attitude about it!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Trudging, everything does happen for a reason, I'm still trying to figure that out. As much as I'd like to work, I'm really starting to enjoy being able to do what I want, when I want to. For instance, I didn't sleep well last night and was able to take a nap this morning and then go run 4.5 miles outside. My knee is better now as I've ran the last two days outside.

Reflection, I figure that having a bad attitude won't change anything. It took all of my life and the better part of 8 months of sobriety to figure that out. I'm a slow learner, lol. Now that I have their decision I'm feeling a whole lot better, even though I didn't get the job. As Trudging said, things happen for a reason so this job wasn't for me.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Reflection.

Bilr, great attitude about the job situation. How fun to go to Argentina with your daughter. I hope it works out for you. I also subscribe to the belief that things happen for a reason. Sounds like you'll be able to enjoy the summer, and maybe not getting the job is the universe's way of giving you more time to hang out with your daughter before she heads to college.

I'm at 7 months today! I can't believe I've gotten here. The last month flew by so easily. I have no intention to drink, and I'm completely at peace with that decision right now. I know there are ups and downs so I still need to be on guard, but it's nice to have it a little easier for now. I have a million other things going on and have had a headache for the past week, so there's no time or desire to drink anyway.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Yes, it has gotten a lot easier with time. I very rarely even think about drinking anymore and our house is pretty much stocked. I think you really need to be ready to stop though, or want sobriety more than drinking. Would I like a drink, sure, but I know the consequences and it's not worth it. Life can sometimes seem more boring but it's a trade off for anxiety and lying.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months, LS!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Oops, yeah LS, great job at 7 months.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Congrats, LS I am right behind you...7 months today! Again, if Deeker hadn't messaged me, I never would have remembered....lol....I totally understand what you mean, Billr. When I first retired, it was hard figuring out what to do with myself. NOW, I am soooo busy....actually TOO busy for my own liking, BUT....I can decide what to do. Lots of bureaucratic stuff still going on, but all is looking like it will turn out in my favor....YAY!!!! Lots of work though! Hubby is still sober too! Taking the bus to go grocery shopping today. Car is still in the shop (but finally at a DIFFERENT mechanic)...YAY! Good thing is....the bus system here is GREAT! Yet, another adventure....lol....
Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Congrats on seven months, Trudging! !
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Trudging, Congrats on 7 months! You're right, there are always things to do. I just have to try and push aside the "maņana" attitude. I started painting our hallway where the bedrooms are. There's so much trim that this will keep me really busy.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I sent a PM to JL yesterday as I saw he had recent activity (5/12) in SR. Our numbers are dwindling here which is what I figured would happen after a while. I also understand that some people are busy and don't seem to need this as support anymore. I'm not quite there yet and like to keep myself grounded.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Whoohoo Trudging! Way to go!!

Bilr, I'm not there yet either. Who knows if I ever will be, and I'm okay with that. I feel confident, but I also need a daily reminder (or maybe every 2-3 days sometimes). Even though our numbers seem to be dwindling, it's still a pretty active class. I'm proud of us! I'm not jealous of your painting the trim though. Good luck with that. I can see how it would be meditative. Do you paint in quiet or do you crank up some tunes while you're painting?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I usually paint without music as it is more meditative. However, if I need the inspiration I crank the tunes. My dogs don't like that very much though, lol.

I'm proud of all of us too. Who would have ever thought I could be sober for almost 9 months now. That was only a dream a while ago. Actually it wasn't because I could rarely envision past the current day at hand.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

I don't have plans to go anywhere any time soon. You guys are stuck with me! This is my first attempt at sobriety since I was 15. I feel like an infant learning how to live my life authentically. Now that the "not drinking part" isn't that bad of a struggle, I am working on cleaning up the emotional side of my life. I want the second half of my life to be wholly healthy. You guys have helped me get this far and I appreciate it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Thanks all, and DD...I agree...it's the emotional part now (and for me, again....ugh!) Although the numbers are dwindling, I find that this forum keeps me somewhat grounded....and I sign in on the 24 hr page as well. I just don't want to forget.....I appreciate you all as well! Bus to the grocery store was great! Even walking up our little street with grocery bags wasn't bad....good exercise! Tomorrow...taking the bus the OTHER way into town to the bank, doctor, errands, etc.....May end up taking a taxi back depending on the bus schedule
Old 05-16-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Baccalaureate tonight and then graduation tomorrow morning. Wow, where did the time go.

Trudging, I mostly post on the October forum and occasionally post other places. I'm not really outgoing in terms of helping newbies out with their early addiction problems. DD, I'm probably the opposite where you feel you mother too much, I probably do that too little.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Bilr! Wow, that is an early graduation. My son's ceremony isn't until June, although he is pretty much done already, all of the AP exams finished up this past week.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yeah, our AP exams were last week and my daughter didn't have to take any others. My sons last day of of school is in less than two weeks.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Wow! Congrats to you both! Hubby's b-day tomorrow....going out on a sailboat....YAY! Maybe I can FINALLY get a break.....