Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 28

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Renarde, what I'm about to say is going to sound very naïve and flippant....but take it as something that has been helpful to me in my life. You are in an extremely competitive field and I get the fact that most of the day you are being told to be perfect. That probably feels like you must be the best and brightest to succeed and anything else is failure. But....

remember to stay connected to that deep down desire you have to help people. To care for them. To figure out their illness and to cure them so they can lead better lives, so they can be there for their children, or to have children....to give them a beacon of hope when they are scared or when all the cards seem stacked against them.

It's times like these that are training you to have compassion. Because if you have never felt fear, or been knocked down yourself....it makes it harder to empathize with people who are going through cancer treatment or some other dreaded disease. If we can't have compassion for ourselves....then that makes it enormously difficult to have compassion for others.

Sometimes, the best lessons we get are the ones we don't expect. Trust the universe/God/Big Juju...whomever is your higher power. Trust that you don't know the future. You have no idea what wonderful things can be ahead of you, that you didn't anticipate. Someday, you may be glad you didn't get chosen for this position.

I wanted to be a hospice nurse in my younger days. I wanted to help people at their darkest hour...even if it was just holding their hand when they were scared. That connection to people is what Universities are very poor at teaching quite honestly. That training comes from the University of Life.

Remember core hurts, in order from least to most painful:
Disregarded
Unimportant
Accused/Guilty
Devalued/disrespected
Rejected
Powerless
Inadequate, unlovable

HR sent you right to the bottom of the core hurts list I bet.....even though I doubt it was a personal decision. Don't let some bureaucrat in HR define you. You are in charge of your feelings. How do you stop this spiral?

Connect to your core value: helping people. Go help out at the senior center. Volunteer somewhere at a free clinic. Connect to that side of you that really defines you....that reminds you of what all your hard work is about. You don't seem like someone who is in it just for the money. You seem like someone who needs something deeper.

The world is filled with health care opportunities. You are probably in the field with the most opportunities ever. And you are wicked smart. You never know what connection will end up being the best thing that ever happed to you.

You'll figure this out. Shake it off.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Also, another thing that is a positive here - these circumstances have shown that my husband is now fully invested in and supportive of my sobriety, actively and verbally. He went through a sabotaging phase, a skeptical phase, and finally after a few more phases he is really dedicated to me staying sober. That is so so nice. It really came out. Someone told me "wine helps" on my FB wall and he got mad and said he wanted to yell at them and say "Renarde is an alcoholic and doesn't drink." Wow. This from a man who in 2012 didn't believe me and was hostile about it. There is a trust component there now too that I don't want to betray.
Love this! It just goes to show how actions speak louder than words. Your strength and perseverance have set a precedent causing a change in your husband's behavior! No matter what position you end up with, I'm sure your husband has faith in you and so do I!

I think I've said this before but someone told me that god has three answers to every question/situation. "Maybe," "not now," and "I have something better."

Perhaps now is not the time for your career to go in the direction you want it to. Perhaps the universe has something better for you right now.

Either way, your hard work, academic performance and experience have put you in a position to succeed no matter what field you end up in!!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Tonight was amazing. My writing group had a blast tossing around jokes and one-liners for my script! Everyone was blown away by my story and afterward told me how much fun working on my spec was. Two people in the class pulled me aside and asked to work with me and pick my brain about script writing. A woman who has a show in development was asking me about my process and comparing notes and was even second-guessing her own script. The teacher now wants to read and workshop the pilot that I wrote last year outside of class and is actually invested in my success.

About half of the class went to a bar in the neighborhood and people wanted to continue talking about my script! One, it was really nice to be able to be in a bar and not obsess about drinking. It was awesome to feel like a normal human being and have my wits about me the whole time! Two, I really connected with the teacher and my classmates tonight. The teacher and I stayed until after midnight talking.

I can't believe so many people believe in me. I can't believe I am an example for other classmates who have more experience than I do to look toward for help and guidance. I can't believe I am the teacher's pet! I can't believe how NATURAL writing feels for me. I was born to do this!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post

I can't believe so many people believe in me. I can't believe I am an example for other classmates who have more experience than I do to look toward for help and guidance. I can't believe I am the teacher's pet! I can't believe how NATURAL writing feels for me. I was born to do this!!!
I can believe it!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Humpday Early Edition~~
~~Grab The Wheel of Your Life~~

Either you own your situation or it will own you. Either you take responsibility for your life, or someone else will. Blame is a scapegoat – it’s an easy way out of taking accountability for your own outcome. It’s a lot easier to point the finger at someone or something else instead of looking within. Blame is not constructive; it does not help you or anyone else – nobody wins in the blame game. The amount of energy and stress it takes to place blame elsewhere takes away from your ability to move forward and find a real solution.

And remember, the road you are traveling may be the more challenging one, but don’t lose faith. Don’t listen to the doubters, don’t let setbacks keep you down, and most of all, don’t give up on yourself.

It’s okay if you don’t know how much more you can handle. It’s fine if you don’t know exactly what to do next. Eventually you’ll let go of how things ‘should be’ and start to see all the great possibilities in front of you. This is your life – grab the wheel with both hands and keep steering yourself in the right direction.

Your attitude influences your world and everything you do in it. It defines the energy you send out and, in turn, takes shape and color in your circumstances. If you have a positive attitude, you are more welcoming and people are drawn to you. A positive attitude opens you to the flow of life. If you are depressed, angry, and unhappy, no one wants to be around you. You literally push people and opportunities away.

To attract positive, joyful, and prosperous situations to you, you must be that way yourself. If you have an open, loving, positive attitude, anything burdensome in life can be lightened. Therefore, it is important to be aware of your mood. It is created by your thoughts. Every day you have a choice of how you will behave, the mood you will give out to the world, and how you want people to know you.

So if you want something in your life, first you must think of it, put your intention behind it, and keep your focus on it. It is almost like baking a cake. The thought is in the oven and you have to keep it baking with belief. You have to see your thought manifesting and becoming real.

Follow your heart and be true to yourself. Never live the life of another. You have to create your own road. You have a responsibility to be the best you can possibly be, so keep your mind and heart open to the higher aspects of your being. And you will harness the power to have a loving and fulfilling life with attitude!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Been hearing a lot from my AV lately. Not for any good reason, really. I think the depressing winter weather just has me bored, depressed, and craving. It has been brighter yesterday and today. I had a walk outside yesterday and will do it again today.

Also, as the schedules get busy, I have always tied reward for a busy day to drinking. Chilling with a couple of glasses of wine. For many years, it really was just 2 glasses. Still, that is too much anyway, and I was not healthy. But the habit is still there, calling to me after a busy evening, or a productive day.

I try to read or walk or do a hobby, but I feel like that desire will never stop nagging at me. Does it ever stop?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Brooksie and LG, thank you for your posts! Really helpful.

Brooksie, that is amazing about the script! Wow! Who knows where you are going to end up!

Rochele, I'm sorry that has been nagging at you. It gets so tiring carrying that around. I relate and hope we are totally free from that someday.

In other news, my husband had a 103.5 degree fever last night and I had to call the on call doc. They think he has the flu. If it is the flu, hopefully my and my daughter's flu shots give us some immunity. I don't want this!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Tonight was amazing. My writing group had a blast tossing around jokes and one-liners for my script! Everyone was blown away by my story and afterward told me how much fun working on my spec was. Two people in the class pulled me aside and asked to work with me and pick my brain about script writing. A woman who has a show in development was asking me about my process and comparing notes and was even second-guessing her own script. The teacher now wants to read and workshop the pilot that I wrote last year outside of class and is actually invested in my success.

About half of the class went to a bar in the neighborhood and people wanted to continue talking about my script! One, it was really nice to be able to be in a bar and not obsess about drinking. It was awesome to feel like a normal human being and have my wits about me the whole time! Two, I really connected with the teacher and my classmates tonight. The teacher and I stayed until after midnight talking.

Really awesome, Brooksie! So happy for you!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Why is it we so seldom believe in ourselves? It is such a hurdle. You are awesome, Broooksie, so full of ideas, articulate, and witty. I am not at all surprised you have impressed your class and teacher. I am glad that you had that experience last night. Such perfect timing after feeling lonely and disconnected, to have a night where you were very connected to those around you!

I believe in you!!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

amazing how the change in weather changes *me.* We had warmer temps and sunshine yesterday, and today(well warmer, but not so sunny) and I have energy to do spring cleaning. Did some serious vacuuming, which sounds like not much, but the kids and daddy did it the last time or two, so really, like not getting done. My back had been cranky, so glad they do some of it, but I spent a long time pulling apart the house and vaccuming the places that never get done. Today, I have mopped the bathroom and wood downstairs. Again, sounds minimal but it had not been done well in a long time. Needed elbow grease.

I want to keep going with heavy cleaning, but my back is barking. I find it frustrating, but at least I got quite a bit done. Feels good.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Trying to relax myself this morning I wrote this little poem

From a maple tree I fall
Through the night air I glide
And In the lazy river I float
In the calm blue water I drift
Starry skies with no cares or worries. On my yearly journey to your relief I'm just a leaf.

I cant imagine anything more peaceful then a leaf floating down a mountain stream.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

That does sound lovely, Mr. Fixit.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by MrFixit63 View Post
Trying to relax myself this morning I wrote this little poem

From a maple tree I fall
Through the night air I glide
And In the lazy river I float
In the calm blue water I drift
Starry skies with no cares or worries. On my yearly journey to your relief I'm just a leaf.

I cant imagine anything more peaceful then a leaf floating down a mountain stream.
Well done!!

I liked it Fish. I feel more relaxed just reading it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Fix Fishy (my new nickname for you)

Very nice poem indeed !
Old 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

LG, that post at the top of this page is sheer brilliance. THANK you for taking the time to articulate it!

Fishy, NICE poem! I'm an artist ... maybe I'll paint a backdrop for it.

As for my life, my 17 year-old is going on a spring break trip with her friend and her family, leaving tonight for 10 days. I'm sad! I'm going to miss her so so so much.

I guess it's good practice for when she goes to college in the fall, though.

We're staying home this spring break since we blew our wad on our oldest daughter's wedding in January.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Fishy, that poem was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. Are back in rehab? How are things going?

Rochele, I can't wait for the weather to change for good for spring/summer! Congrats on getting the housework done. Around here it seems like either the upstairs is clean or the downstairs.

PBC, aww, I hope you can enjoy the quiet house for ten days! That's exciting for your daughter. Is she going somewhere warm and beachy? Congrats on your other daughter's wedding.

Lil, I just want to thank you again for your post. Your words really resonated with me and I have kept them close, especially when I start feeling depressed and angry. So much wisdom how are you doing?

As for me - husband went to doctor and has pneumonia! Omg! Will it ever end?!? I'm terrified that baby and I will get it. Husband's fever last night was almost 104! He is so sick but doing better now.

When one door closes....I went to my boss for advice and she presented some amazing opportunities and long term plans to me. She wants me to stay on and get advanced degrees and become an adjunct instructor for her and help her create this huge center she is building. She gave me opportunities and contacts to pursue and who knows, what I end up doing may be bigger than I thought.

I am struggling with frustration, envy, and victim mindset because literally every one I know except for one person received an interview, and I don't know anyone who was better qualified. After processing this it seems like it really was just a careless cut off of a rushed person trying to hit a number. It may have even been alphabetical (my boss's theory). Isn't this the ego that I hear needs to be destroyed or something in order to progress in sobriety? I am humbly asking for the removal of these feelings and return to the gratitude which is my usual MO. I don't know who I am asking, but I'm asking. I am asking for faith and trust that though I usually just believe in personal hard work amid the chaos, maybe there is actually a plan that I don't know....? and also asking for gratitude and surrender.

I am trying very hard to surrender these feelings and surrender attachment to this position and my "dream" - at least the dream working out the way I thought I would. Someone told me that the universe saved me from a path I wasn't meant to take and is directing me to another road. It is helping me to think that I need an experience like this to grow as a person, in my sobriety and other ways.

It may sound crazy the level of distress this has caused me but this was my motivation and inspiration for the last year and as a classmate told me, it's like it was taken away via some mistake. However it's time to just let it float away because feeling unhappy is exhausting and I want that excitement and passion to come back to me ASAP because it is what drives me and I love it. Wheels are turning and so is my focus and I think there are promising things ahead.

I think this whole experience is helping me learn things about myself and for that I am grateful, and also SO grateful I can expose my true feelings, experience, and process here without judgement and with so much support. I am just surrounded by phenomenal people in this class!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

one other thought and then I will quit hogging the thread. You know, It's nice to make it through something that feels painful to this degree without emerging physically and emotionally battered by my own hand. Had I cut myself, drank, starved, etc, or engaged in similar acts, I would be feeling vulnerable, abused, triggered, and mentally scrambled, probably would have begun an unstable cycle of self abuse and remorse, depression, self-pity, and misery and therefore relapse into one of my many prior behaviors. I feel tired and have some residual bad feelings, but I haven't failed myself by violating my fundamental human rights. That is something that I am so happy about!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I wonder how uninvited is doing? I still think about our original friends on a regular basis and hope they come back to us.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Renarde, we still have my 13 year old, who will be turning 14 in a week. I'm guessing there will be many sleep-overs in the next week.

As for the job thing and the concept that there may be a Higher Power who does have a plan, let me share a moment from our lives about a decade ago.

My dh is a very, very talented engineer. He'd been working for a great company, making good money and doing well, when they downsized and he was laid off. He was completely devestated. He's always been very self-assured and stable and not emotional at all, but he cried every single day for weeks. He is a provider and protector, and that was ripped from him. He literally made a full-time job of finding a new job, and after several weeks had interviews at 2 large local companies. Both of them progressed to 3rd and 4th interviews, and then he did not get either job! How could that happen??? He was knocked down a few more rungs and hurt deeply.

Within a year, one of those companies went bankrupt and closed its doors, and the other had huge cuts that resulted in about a third of their work force being laid off permanently.

In that time, he ended up taking a job at a smaller company for a chunk less pay. Within 2 years, he'd been promoted to a very high position and been given generous raises that more than surpassed what he'd been making at the first company.

obviously, it ended up better than it would have if he'd gotten those other jobs, that he thought he wanted so so so much.

I'll bet that, one day, you'll look back and be thankful that things turned out the way they did here.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the comments I know it wasn't that good but I appreciate it.
Fix Fishy I like it Kane I hope all is well with you in Oz
PBC cool on the picture enjoy your spring break from your family haha

Brooksie congratulations on all the accolades for your story line sounds very exciting.

I also wonder about uninvited and plenny and a bunch of other names I can think of this morning.

Renarde I finished five of the six weeks but I'm still using their tools and information and of course in sober recovery to battle my demons its only been 15 days but I feel good about it.

And Rochelle I hope you're doing fine
I know I'm missing some topics and some people but its early in the morning .

Oh and Renarde always remember there are other fish in the sea who knows you might be being saved for bigger more important role in the scheme of things
Keep your head up you can do it