Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 28

Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued prayers for your dad Grace - I'm sure he's being very well looked after

D
Old 03-29-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

~~Food for Thought ~ Super Saturday Edition~~
~~Its No Coincidence~~

~G'Mornin' and this days Food 4 Thought is following up on my meditations of the past 3 days and resting the notion that they are no coincidences in our lives, no accidents. Things are meant to happen but the true lesson is how are you going to interpret them and react to them with your choices to make you better.

~The Meal~

Today’s Mental Meal is dedicated to coincidences! Everything happens for a reason! Every action has an equal or greater reaction! The life you are living right now didn’t happen by accident! Who you are isn’t an act of fate! Your thoughts and actions have all conspired and worked to bring you to this very moment! And it is your thoughts and actions that will take you to the next level!

Everything you are experiencing right now is all based on the choices you made in your life! Sure you can blame your environment, religion, the sun, or the stars, but doing so takes away your true power to change. Life is simply about choices… When you choose to act and think a certain way, you are also choosing the consequences of that act or thought! We are FULLY responsible for the lives we lead!

Stop playing a victim and realize that, right now, you have the power to change your circumstance! Consequence is No Coincidence!!! Know what you want! Figure out what it will take to get there, then get busy putting those actions into place!! As V.C. King once said “The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ” Take over your power and make life great! -Ash’Cash

~Healthy Snacks~

“Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from.”-Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

“Everything happens for a reason. Every action has a reaction. Always remember that what’s meant to be will always find a way to come about.” -Unknown

“There is no such thing as chance; and what seems to us mere accident springs form the deepest source of destiny.”-Friedrich Schiller

“In the magical universe there are no coincidences and there are no accidents. Nothing happens unless someone wills it to happen.”-William S. Burroughs

“Coincidences mean you’re on the right path.”-Simon Van Booy

“Everything that happens is the result of a calculated move that leads us to where we are.”-J.M. Darhower

“There are No real coincidences in life for those with faith strong enough to recognize coincidences for what they really are: intricate pieces of the providential design your higher power created for each of our lives”-Delia Parr
Old 03-29-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Hi All! Just a quick check in. We are still on spring break. I have had a few temptations, especially this afternoon when I found out my dad (back in Wisconsin) was taken to the hospital today and was admitted this evening. Wish I were there. The lack of control made me want to drink, but I didn't. So, yay.

I skimmed the posts and see that Fish and Lorelei are back!! Hooray!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Prayers are up for your Dad GG, I'm sure he's in good hands.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

~Your Weekend Challenge~ NO REGRETS~

~Note~ I've been working on my Weekend Challenges for a minute now with a motivational speaker named Darren Hardy of Darren Hardy, Publisher of SUCCESS Magazine. Just wanted to share this with you guys and challenge you to make yourself and your weekends greater.

~The Challenge~

Weekend Challenge: Someone related a story to me recently about a man in his late eighties who was asked if he could come back and live the life of anybody he wanted, who would it be. His answer was, “I would want to come back as the man I could have been, but never was.” He said, “This time I’d act with more courage. I wouldn’t allow my fear to turn me away from opportunities I didn’t take. I’d risk more; I’d take the chances I wish I had. I’d allow myself to fail more, love more, and laugh more. This time I’d be sure to live more.”

Well, it may be too late for him, but not for you… but you have to stop the insanity, it’s time to get serious. This weekend, if you are serious about becoming financially well off, getting healthy, improving your marriage, or being a person of character that your children, colleagues and community look up to, then it’s time to take action and get serious about it. Write down 5 things you are going to seriously go after starting Monday. NO REGRETS. `

~Are you are up for the challenge?~

Last edited by Dee74; 03-30-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Praying for you and your dad, Grace! Glad you didn't drink. Dealing with life on life's terms with a sober mind is not easy but when we're sober we come to realize that are able to handle much more than we ever thought possible! Try to remember that you are being cared for, even in this difficult time!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Just a quick check-in: I submitted my script outline to be workshopped on Tuesday. I am soo excited to get feedback from the other people in my group! This is the first complete outline that the class has workshopped so rather than deal with character/story development I get to hear people's ideas for funny one-liners and dialogue. The story is a fun one - (the episode is called "three's company" and is about threesomes) so there's lots of room for jokes and awkward situations!

Also, I have decided to talk to my doctor about going back on ADD medication- a less addictive, more effective med than Adderall. I am in a much more honest place than I was 4 months ago and I think, at least right now while I'm getting my life together, it will be helpful!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Brooksie, my husband was on straterra, which is a non-stimulant, non-addictive med, and he did really well on it. Congrats on your script! Sounds funny!

Grace, hugs for you and your dad.

my inlaws are here, including my MIL who has a drug problem and that has created issues. I think I have mentioned before that I live in one of the locations where pot is legal. MIL desperately wants me to take her to buy some pot edibles even though I told her it wasn't a good idea and husband is adamantly against it. FIL is huge enabler and asked me to take her behind husband's back. Transporting it out of state is a federal offense and we are not supporting this. I said no. I don't have time anyway. She also left one of her pills out on our bathroom counter the first night she was here after we had talked to her about med safety. We have the baby and our animals and we were very upset about this. Once before the baby was born we caught one of our animals eating one of her pills - she tends to just lay them out all over and take them like candy. I was furious and have never trusted her habits since. Recently she crashed her car under the influence. Husband told her if this leaving out pills happens again they cannot stay with us and have to go to a hotel. It's been a good visit but her addiction problems make it stressful.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
If my ribs were cracked or if I just had surgery on my jaw - I'd be taking the painkillers. Those problems hurt! In fact - I'd tell them to give me twice as much as they give anyone else because I wouldn't want to feel anything for about three weeks....LOL! Eh, but that may be my addict talking there.
Thanks for saying that LG I had to take some Vicodin last night bc they were hurting again. I am getting better though and looking forward to getting off of this stuff permanently.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Just a quick check-in: I submitted my script outline to be workshopped on Tuesday. I am soo excited to get feedback from the other people in my group! This is the first complete outline that the class has workshopped so rather than deal with character/story development I get to hear people's ideas for funny one-liners and dialogue. The story is a fun one - (the episode is called "three's company" and is about threesomes) so there's lots of room for jokes and awkward situations!

Also, I have decided to talk to my doctor about going back on ADD medication- a less addictive, more effective med than Adderall. I am in a much more honest place than I was 4 months ago and I think, at least right now while I'm getting my life together, it will be helpful!
Looks like your have some successes and breakthroughs in your life Brooksie and that's all a good thing. Great to see the progress your making in many areas. I can attest to that myself in my journey while things are coming together. Stay focused on your goals and passions and have fun on the way.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

That sounds exciting Brooksie, and the story sounds like it could be very funny!

Renarde, that sounds like a very stressful visit.

We had some excitement this morning/afternoon. I had to bring my daughter to the doctor and she needed bloodwork to check for mono. well, she is anxious about blood draws and she got faint after. nearly went down, but I got her sitting, and we had a wheenchair, and hung out for awhile. She got sick, and was miserable for a good while. Poor kid.

she is 14, and the mono was neg. So, it seems she has a sinus infection, pssobiyl, as her cheeks hurt, and she has had a sore throat, some headaches, etc... she is ok, but just dragging and not getting better. We were going to go out tonight, but I feel wrong leaving her in charge after such a bad day, even though she seems herself now. Just want to mother her and get her to bed at a decent hour.

I am sort of glad not to go to the event tonight, anyway. I am feeling frumpy with my clothes I have, and without drinking, it is a bit of a dull event. A school event, and fundraiser. Our better riends have mostly graduated the school, but I am letting down one friend by skipping tonight. I feel bad for that, but that is not the best reason to go. we are not that excited for it, so why bother when our child is under the weather.

Yeah, relieved, really, not to go. And my daughter does seem to be ok now, other than this sinus/cold thing she has had.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Rochele, I'm so glad your daughter doesn't have mono! I'm glad you can take it easy tonight instead of going to the event. The visit hasn't been too stressful - I mean they are just stressful people in general and it's hard to host them. But actually it has been a pretty decent visit so far, all things considered. Fortunately I have my school keeping me busy. I would like my space back though.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hey all, just a quick check in. Sorry for not posting lately but I have been following the threads. No major issues here right now, I am in limbo land right now so cant really say much. However, spiritually I am doing just fine

In my old work place, Hong Kong, they are holding the Hong Kong Sevens which is the biggest sporting event of the year for that city. It is essentially a massive 7 day binge where the main streets are jam packed with drunken tourist and expat rugby fans. THe locals and non-rugby expats (95% of the population) usually avoid all the popular watering holes during this time. I am so glad not to be there right now though I do like the Sevens (only form of rugby that I truly enjoy).
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I've been reading, but too busy to post lately. I'm feeling pretty stable in my sobriety, so that's very, very good.

I got a call from a neighbor early this morning. He's recently divorced, and was sick all night. So, I got up and shopped for him .. he needed electrolyte drinks, but I also picked up some magazines and a bone for his dog. I just made some potato soup that I'll have dh take over in a little while, too. Poor guy. This is his first time sick since he's been alone. It's nice to be feeling good myself (read as: not hung over or still buzzed from last night) so that I can be there for someone else.

My dh is a bit sick, too, so we're skipping church. I'll go to my meeting tonight, which is also a worship thing on Sunday nights.

On a positive note, it's sunny and warmer than it has been this morning. And dd13 kicked tushie at the volleyball tournament yesterday. Woot! I'm loving seeing her grow into herself.

Speaking of her, we had some friends of mine over for dinner Friday night. The guy goes to my meeting, and I'm making an effort to develop deeper friendships with AA friends. His wife was completely a doll! I loved her. They happen to have a couple kids, and one is a 13 year old boy who goes to a different school than she does. I told her on Monday, and it came up again on Tuesday. She said to me, "I know, Mom ... we're texting right now." She'd sent him a fb friend request and they'd become friends overnight! That's my girl.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

That was nice of you PBC. What a great neighbor you are.

In laws are gone. They did their best to get me to lie to husband and get drugs for my MIL, but I said no. I'm glad they are gone. Feeling exhausted. Tonight is the first night I haven't taken Vicodin in a long time. My ribs are a bit sore but not bad enough to justify it.

Feeling stressed. This is going to be a very busy and hard month. In fact it's going to be rough until at least August. I have had lots of cravings lately. It's been hard.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

~Food for Thought ~ Thank God It's Monday Edition~
~WHY NOT YOU???~

Someone will do something fresh, new and brave today…why not you?

Someone will befriend a stranger, deliver hope to the hopeless and model decency…why not you?

Someone will turn pain into power, fear into fortune and confusion into clarity…why not you?

Someone will be recognized for their mastery, celebrated for their acumen and praised for their excellence…why not you?

Someone will forge a new start, install a new habit and build a better routine…why not you?

Someone will let go of their past, rewire their present and rewrite their future…why not you?

Someone will get the sale, finish the book or close the deal…why not you?

Someone will set larger goals, take bigger risks and go to their limits…why not you?

Someone will show uncommon kindness, be a giver not a taker and leave people better than they found them…why not you?

Someone will discover their “Mighty Why”, reconnect with their purpose and so radiate their passion…why not you?

Someone will release their excuses, shatter their doubts and break free of their chains…why not you?

Someone will experience true gratitude, speak real appreciation and feel sincere happiness… why not you?

Yes!!!—WHY NOT YOU?

~Note~
Let’s be honest…you were born into genius. You’ve been built to amaze. And you’re designed to make history. The question’s not can you. Nope. It’s WILL YOU? -
Old 03-31-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post

In laws are gone. They did their best to get me to lie to husband and get drugs for my MIL, but I said no. I'm glad they are gone. Feeling exhausted. Tonight is the first night I haven't taken Vicodin in a long time. My ribs are a bit sore but not bad enough to justify it.

Feeling stressed. This is going to be a very busy and hard month. In fact it's going to be rough until at least August. I have had lots of cravings lately. It's been hard.
(((Renarde)))

If you've been taking Vicodin every day for a while, especially at bedtime, it is going to take a few days for your body to get used to relaxing and falling asleep on its own again, which is stressful.

If you used to drink before bed then it is understandable that you are having cravings. If you don't need them anymore it would be a good idea flush (or properly dispose of) the reminder of the Vicodin and switch to a lesser pain reliever.

I'm glad your inlaws are gone. The cravings will pass! Don't think about August, all you have to do is get through today!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Yeah, Renarde, I was also thinking cravings are understandable with all you have been experiencing. When stress lifts a bit, like after a visit, or after I feel better after illness, etc... that is when I get the worst cravings. When I feel a bit of a reprieve.

I am glad your ribs are feeling a bit better, finally. You must be careful if you do clinicals where you have to move patients.

I hope you got some good sleep.

I had a horrible night's sleep. I am reading a book about a serial killer and had awful dreams about him getting me! It was the hcaracter from the book, and he sort of had me captive. Not tied, but in his domain in such a way as I could not get free. I woke a few times yet kept going back to that dream! Yuck. I am enjoying the book, but maybe I should read something else before going to sleep! I have another book going, and will choose that one tonight. It is sad, but not scary. I am reading with my dd, a book she has to read for school. So we can discuss it. This helps with her reading comprehension.

So, yeah, I think I will choose that one tonight, lol.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post

Renarde, I have noticed when I have taken Vicodin for several days that I feel very down and flat. It is a depressant after all. So this may be enhancing your feeling of being overwhelmed. Just thought I would offer that little bit. Go easy on yourself. Maybe make a deal with yourself that you will do a full assessment of life when you've been off the meds for a full week. Like Brooksie (I think) said, just get through today.

(((Renarde)))
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

We are heading home today! We had a wonderful time, many great memories were made, and the kids have even thanked us several times for bringing them here.

I am looking forward to being home not only because the mattress on our bed was horrible. The triggers here were pretty strong, especially in Epcot, back in the countries in the late afternoon. It seemed like everyone had a beer and I wanted one (or five) too. But when I really paid attention I noticed that most people were in fact NOT drinking. Another trial was wanting to have a beer when we got back to the condo in the evenings, especially when my dad was sick. But I gritted my teeth and got through. I was always glad that I wasn't hungover when the alarm went off every morning and we had to bust it to the parks!

Back to routine and familiarity. Feeling good.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Glad you had a nice time, Grace! I have yet to successfully have a completely sober vacation in life, despite my greatest plans. We have not vacationed since last summer. Well, I was sober when we took a trip while I was pregnant with my first baby. There is that.

But I get that Epcot thing. So proud of you for staying strong, especially with the added stress about your dad's health issues. But you are so right, the Disney thing is no place for hangovers. Loooong days!

How is your dad? I hope he is okay.