Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 26

Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Useless trivia for the day

Thought I would give a meaningful statistic:

Yesterday, I recorded my 500th workout on my exercise log thing. This is over a period of 2 years and a bit. I have averaged 4.7 workouts a week, burned tens of thousands of calories, ran and cycled hundreds of kilometres and who knows how much buckets of sweat I have expended.

My total weight loss was a princely 7.5kg (17 lbs)

This bloody drinking addiction has a lot to answer for
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back 1Step

I was going to say if I'd listened to my mates I'd still be drinking, but I really think if I'd listened to my mates I'd be dead now.

I know in my gut where my kind of drinking ends - and I think you do too 1step?

D
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Thought I would give a meaningful statistic:

Yesterday, I recorded my 500th workout on my exercise log thing. This is over a period of 2 years and a bit. I have averaged 4.7 workouts a week, burned tens of thousands of calories, ran and cycled hundreds of kilometres and who knows how much buckets of sweat I have expended.

My total weight loss was a princely 7.5kg (17 lbs)

This bloody drinking addiction has a lot to answer for
Those are awesome stats! Were you maintaing a good routine when you were drinking?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Well I had a really long post drafted for you 1step than I hit something and poof it was gone. So short version
1step- dont beat yourself up buddy. This is the time to reflect and learn from your relapse. You are worth sobriety and you have so many good days under your belt. Those are not lost and YOU ARE WORTH a million more good days. So dust yourself off and join us back on the wagon. We kept your seat warm
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Kane, there is no downside to exercise on a routine basis. It's good for you and I admire your fortitude.

I am coming to grips with the fact that I have the brain of an addict. I don't seem to be able to do much half-assed, and in my mind that means "anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess."

I've been on a low carb diet for over five months and have lost 25 pounds. It's become an obsession, shrinking me from size 12 to now approaching 4. Time to knock it off.

And shopping. I can't seem to stop that either! My clothes closet looks like a Banana Republic outlet store. :help

Can't seem to stop working. Feeling threatened with the sale of my company, so what do I do? Turn on the gas and become a workaholic.

OK, I know the problem. Just venting.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Fish, I've been thinking of you often. I have said many prayers, that you find this time of your life to be a relief. Rooting for you, but sorry about the room mate. Kane had it right - ear plugs!!!

Rochele, I'm glad you're feeling better. Same for you Renarde. Health issues scare me too.

New Leaf ~ woo hoo on 30 days!!!

1step ~ your ex is missing out on a great guy. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but next year at this time if you can stay the course, things will likely be a whole lot better. Sobriety is such a blessing. I'm seeing it now....and I hope you will too. It's a relief to be free from slavery.

Brooksie got a job, Brooksie got a job (singing a happy song). Yay you!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
At the risk of sounding like a baby, I am so tired of being cold. This winter is just killing me. I spend my time at home wrapped up in blankets and sweaters because I just can't get warm. It takes the duration of most of my drives for my car to warm up and put any heat out. I have never been winter's biggest fan, and now I am downright hostile! Kaneda, speak to me of warm temperatures and balmy breezes!
I'm not Kane, but my advice: MOVE!!!! Get out of there!

It's going to be 79 degrees here tomorrow, sunny and the ocean is waiting for you to come have a glass of ice tea by it.

Had my fill of winter in December when I went to Colorado. I don't know how you guys do it....really. Move. I know it's not that easy, but gosh....winter sucks when it's cold. I'm in shorts right now. Call U-Haul....
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Hi everyone, im in hell again, picked up last Friday night and continued from there, I woke on the sunday to find that I drank my dads brandy bottle and I cant remember it must have blacked out....
Welcome back!! So glad you're posting 1step!!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations from me too NL

D
Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellbell123 View Post
Those are awesome stats! Were you maintaing a good routine when you were drinking?
For the most part except when I went on a binge, those were a bad couple of months
Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

NEWLEAF: 30 days is awesome ! You are well on your way !! Keep it going, you star !!!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Yay! for 30 days New Leaf!!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup;

"The Door Analogy".

For me, attempting to drink moderately was like trying to hold a door cracked open when a flood was pushing through. Some days I could do it, but it never took long before the door flew wide open and I was left gasping in the wake. So I’d adjust my footing, grip the knob harder, and try again, because the prospect of actually closing that door terrified me. I’m not sure why, but it did.

It sure is a LOT easier to fight the wave with the door closed. I suppose this is what my AA friends meant when they told of the freedom in surrender. And it sure is easier to keep the door closed than to GET it closed! I can breathe. In, out. In, out.

But here’s the thing - I’ve closed it before. And then I sat there and stared at it. Look at that door. There it is. It’s closed. Boy, I wish it were open, just a little. I’m stronger now, right? I’m rested up. I’ve kept it closed for quite some time. That’s something! I learned my lesson. I could just crack it a bit … maybe put a doorstop there to help hold it. That would work.

Cue tidal wave, and there I am struggling to flail my way to the surface, choking and sputtering with guilt and self-condemnation. Another failure. What’s wrong with me???

The door is closed again, but today I’m going to fearfully acknowledge and respect the sheer deadliness of the tsunami on the other side. It has the power to take me down, and my loved ones with me. It is relentless and merciless. It lies and manipulates and deceives to accomplish its destruction. It’s stronger than me. But, it’s NOT stronger than the door … providing I don’t choose to open it again. And so I’ll remember, I’ll stay vigilant, I’ll attune to the stories of others caught in the rip tide and knowingly nod, recognizing that their story is my story. I’ve marked that door with a big “DANGER! DO NOT OPEN” sign and surrounded it with bright yellow crime scene tape so that, in my own distraction, I never nonchalantly turn the knob again.

And then, I’ll walk away from the door, for the day, and rebuild my life on the other side. I’m creating my new normal, and it’s good. [/I

First, I thank you for this because it's so powerful and chronicles the way I've felt quite alot with my relationship to alcohol. When I have amassed a long period of sobriety I often feel I can crack the door just a little (moderate) because I feel I'm strong enough then to withstand the tide, but in all honesty the tsunami that ensues always becomes too much to handle and the tide begins to tear down slowly all I have built to that point.

The key is for me, as it has been for you, is to keep the door closed and build my life, willpower and strength on the other side all in the knowing that I need to keep that door closed with a “DANGER! DO NOT OPEN” sign with a timebomb, pitbull, nuclear arm that needs to detonate if I try to crack it open.

Thanks for this piece great analogythanks
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Well experiment over, I cannot do it anymore, with nearly four months under my belt I thought I could control it, Its surprised me how quick it got a hold on me again but perhaps its a blessing in disguise. Hopefully going to a meeting today, ive spent up and failed to make a loan repayment on Monday so il have to see where I am with that, when im gripped with alcohol all reasoning goes out of the window.

I cant blame anyone but myself, my friends who have slipped are ill too and I hope and pray that they stop playing with fire. I am a slave to the stuff and it definitely is a progressive illness.

Thank you all for your kind words, day one for me but I have learnt from it, going to tell my two friends if they call that im stopping drinking with immediate effect, im an alcoholic and im lucky this last binge didn't kill me.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

1StepUp, that's a GREAT plan. Does it feel good to see it in writing?

Kaneda, WOW. INCREDIBLE workout stats! That is something to be proud of!

Lillian, there may be a day when we do move, but we'll will go where our kids and grandkids are. Hopefully THEY'LL go warmer, too! We've logged over 120 inches of snow this winter so far in my town. Yes, that's 10 feet. No joke, no exaggeration. We keep telling ourselves, "It's pretty. It's pretty. It's pretty." I'm hoping if I say it enough, I'll believe it!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

I think all the crazy drunk people will have to run the clinic this morning day shift is not showed up yet because of the weather this should be fun. It's all fun and games till someone loses an eyeball
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

You got skills, Fish! Tell them some jokes to hold them over until the pros get there.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Someone needs to pass out the meds :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

~~~Food for Thought ~ The HumpDay Edition~~~
~~~Champions Get Up~~~

Champions get up! You’ve lost your job. The stress and pressure have destroyed your relationship. You’re behind on your bills and your dreams. Now what? So what! Champions get up! You ran out of money, you have no place to call your own and all of this drama is robbing you of your health. Your so-called friends are nowhere to be found.

Everybody that you’ve helped in the past and loaned money, that you could not afford, won’t even return your phone call. You call the church where you gave your hard-earned tithe, the answering service comes on and says that Jesus is unavailable, Allah is on vacation and Buddha is at a retreat.

Champions get up! When you’re down to nothing, God is up to something! Champions get up! Focus your mind, pull yourself together. If you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on! You are a champion. You are more than a conqueror. Keep the faith. Cry if you must. You are still here. God is not through with you yet. You were born to win. Champions get up! You are a champion. You have GREATNESS within you!

~Snack~

Let old problems remain where they belong – in the past. No matter how many times you revisit the past, there’s nothing new to see. Don’t let what once happened get in the way of what is happening. Just because you’ve made mistakes doesn’t mean your mistakes get to make you. If something important didn’t work yesterday, figure out what changes can be made today.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Well experiment over, I cannot do it anymore, with nearly four months under my belt I thought I could control it, Its surprised me how quick it got a hold on me again but perhaps its a blessing in disguise. Hopefully going to a meeting today, ive spent up and failed to make a loan repayment on Monday so il have to see where I am with that, when im gripped with alcohol all reasoning goes out of the window.

I cant blame anyone but myself, my friends who have slipped are ill too and I hope and pray that they stop playing with fire. I am a slave to the stuff and it definitely is a progressive illness.

Thank you all for your kind words, day one for me but I have learnt from it, going to tell my two friends if they call that im stopping drinking with immediate effect, im an alcoholic and im lucky this last binge didn't kill me.
Please Read and apply to your life 1stepup (Originally posted by PBC)

"The Door Analogy".

For me, attempting to drink moderately was like trying to hold a door cracked open when a flood was pushing through. Some days I could do it, but it never took long before the door flew wide open and I was left gasping in the wake. So I’d adjust my footing, grip the knob harder, and try again, because the prospect of actually closing that door terrified me. I’m not sure why, but it did.

It sure is a LOT easier to fight the wave with the door closed. I suppose this is what my AA friends meant when they told of the freedom in surrender. And it sure is easier to keep the door closed than to GET it closed! I can breathe. In, out. In, out.

But here’s the thing - I’ve closed it before. And then I sat there and stared at it. Look at that door. There it is. It’s closed. Boy, I wish it were open, just a little. I’m stronger now, right? I’m rested up. I’ve kept it closed for quite some time. That’s something! I learned my lesson. I could just crack it a bit … maybe put a doorstop there to help hold it. That would work.

Cue tidal wave, and there I am struggling to flail my way to the surface, choking and sputtering with guilt and self-condemnation. Another failure. What’s wrong with me???

The door is closed again, but today I’m going to fearfully acknowledge and respect the sheer deadliness of the tsunami on the other side. It has the power to take me down, and my loved ones with me. It is relentless and merciless. It lies and manipulates and deceives to accomplish its destruction. It’s stronger than me. But, it’s NOT stronger than the door … providing I don’t choose to open it again. And so I’ll remember, I’ll stay vigilant, I’ll attune to the stories of others caught in the rip tide and knowingly nod, recognizing that their story is my story. I’ve marked that door with a big “DANGER! DO NOT OPEN” sign and surrounded it with bright yellow crime scene tape so that, in my own distraction, I never nonchalantly turn the knob again.

And then, I’ll walk away from the door, for the day, and rebuild my life on the other side. I’m creating my new normal, and it’s good.