Administrator

One Year & Under Club Part 27

Continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-26-a-20.html

D
Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Woohoo! I get to travel shotgun all the way to Boston!!!!! Yay!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Toots - thanks for finding the sleeping smiley for me - I see it now - mush earlier in the list than I expected!

Hello new thread
Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Morning all..new thread.....thanks Dee..

Hope everyone is doing well.

Jim
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A frosty morning here in KC.... but no snow thankfully, we missed this storm. I am headed to St Louis this weekend to report on a concert and also see my kids. So I packed up all my booze and am giving it to my son. Thankfully he does not seem to have the same tendency as I do. Paid a lot of money for it so I do not want to waste it.

Thanks for the new thread Dee!

Have a good week Undies!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Undies,

Thanks for the new clean thread, Dee.

Trust me, I needed a new clean fresh 24 hours this morning. Yesterday was for the most part a really crappy day.

I did get some relief about my big resentment via breakfast w/ temp sponsor and the ability to dedicate an AA meeting to resentments.

However after that the crap kept building, culminating in my leaving my glasses in a foreign taxi. I have no idea why I didn't call the taxi that has taken me everywhere since I came here. I suppose I was thrown off kilter and vulnerable to repeated mistakes.

Didn't work out, go to the beach or go to the 5:30 pm mtg since I had attended the 10:30. Just vegged, feeling sorry for myself and accomplished virtually 0.

Today is a new day and new start button. Things are okay, but as soon as I return some email stuff it's off for a workout. That should get me more centered.

Yesterday I needed an Undies hug, but was even to fed up to come on here to ask.

My best to all...

Carlos xx
Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 303 in snowy Coastal Massachusetts. I'm going into the office a little late today. Glad I work for a company that allows me to do that. Normally I would be mad I had to travel in the snow. But, today I'm feeling blessed having a job I like and feel respected at. It is amazing how sobriety can change a true pessimist into an optimist. I guess it's that AA living in the day stuff.

So proud of my wife and I are starting to actually save money and get rid of the debt. We talk about life now, and have become so much closer. For those that question if life gets better in sobriety, it truly does. Yes, ups and downs happen. But, we are able to deal with life in a proactive approach.

Jim, glad to see you jumped back on SR after the slip. PM in you need to talk or vent.

God Bless all of you Undies. I pray for you every day.

Matthew
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good morning, undies!

Matthew, you sound great -- like you have a positive direction and know the steps to keep moving you forward.

Carlos, have a hug! Use now & set aside the negativity that lingers from yesterday; save & use again later!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, I did forget to mention that I did meet a cool "island-girl" yesterday. A legal assistant, born and raised on St Thomas. We are meeting for a quiet get together to talk and a couple appetizers early this evening. I told her I could handle watching her drink a glass of wine. Which I can; and she said is her personal max.

I guess yesterday may not have been a total 0.

Thank's for the stored up hug, Courage.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Courage, I love your thoughts on life and value. It’s philosophical. Being a delinquent, in life and with booze, is always an appealing choice, humans crave oblivion, annihilation from life, it’s part of life and that feeling is not just for people who have trouble with alcohol but for everyone really.

I was just reading Rebus' latest book of short stories, and although I usually don't like short stories - I prefer long fictions - in his last one called Dirty Love, the authors speaks to something similar to what you described, our constant swinging between health and un-health, order and chaos, life and death...That part is so poignant and so exactly how I feel at times, - and because yesterday, if I had still believed that suicide was an option, I'd probably would not be alive today, that's how depressed I was (like Carlos who didn't even have the courage to ask for an undies' collective hug) - and because it relates to drinking, his main protagonist is a recovered alcoholic ex-high school teacher and finally because it made me feel better to see that we ALL have awful dark days like that, I must write down the passage for you here. I hope it can alleviate some of those dark perhaps necessary reasons we dismiss the value of life at times and how we end up doing stupid things:

" He will not judge Devy. How can he? This man who would drive away from the high school on a lovely October afternoon, the sun high, the dying tree leaves at the height of their beauty, and soon he’d be sipping vodka from a Styrofoam coffee cup while steering north up the highway for home and the good work he’d done earlier in the day would be tossed into the fire he was building in his own blood and brain: burn it, burn it all, burn being a good teacher, burn being a good man, burn being a good citizen and following the rules, and burn them especially- burn the rules, these invisible cages around us, for if he’s learned nothing in all his years, he’s learned that, that from our first grasps for air till our last, we simply want to be left alone to do what we want to do when we want to do it, and because this is rarely the case we crave oblivion in any way it presents its dark sweet self to us.”

P. 287 Dirty Love by Andre Dubus III.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anybody else notice how Dee always has to get the last word in on every thread??? (Just joking, of course, we appreciate all you do, Dee)

Carlos- Hugs to you. Some days can be tough, but as you've noted, today is a new one. And the cool thing is that it's clear that overall you are doing much better than you were in early sobriety. Enjoy the date!!

WWG- I can relate to working on doing better with the finances. It's another thing that just takes persistent effort one day at a time, but we'll get there!

DP- Interesting observations- thanks for sharing that quote. I may have to check out that book.

Well, another day ahead. I'm still feeling a bit off-balance, but doing better than I was this weekend. I'm still in a bit of a holding pattern with the relationship stuff. Due to certain up-coming events, I'm waiting to make any moves. But kind of trying to plan what is next. Things with boyfriend are just kind of the same- a lot of distance between us and me going crazy living with him and having the house not be clean like I would like. Still talking to my crush, but as it's long-distance, no real developments there. But things are kind of rough between us some days. The distance makes communication difficult at times and misunderstandings are easy via texts. Plus just the stress of both knowing we'd like to be together and that's not possible right now because I have a boyfriend.

I am still working on just being more balanced and focused on me and what I need to do for my life and goals each day. It's been tricky lately, but circumstances are providing me with good practice. If it was easy it wouldn't be something I needed to work on.

I'm feeling like doing absolutely nothing today. My motivation is non-existent and I'd just like to crawl in bed and watch shows on Netflix. As always, I have too much to do and not enough time... and in the time I do have I'd like to do nothing.

I guess I need to go back to the basics- one day, one task at a time. Starting with some breakfast and a bit more SR!!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That was a good passage, DP.

I'm so sorry that you suffered yesterday. I'm glad you didn't cave to either alcohol or suicide. I'm an oblivion lover, too. Those times are getting rarer, though. Now life doesn't seem so banal anymore. Not much has changed outwardly; not drinking has made a difference. SR has made a big difference, too.

Carlos, I'm not much of a hugger by nature--more demonstrative ladies at my church are always trying to break me in--but I will send to you the best virtual hug I've got to offer: the married woman's "deflect to shoulder" hug that leaves everyone feeling awkward!

I am so sorry, too, that your day was rotten yesterday. Today's got nowhere to go but up. At least you didn't drink.

Thank you, Courage, for your kind words. I hope your day is rich and good.

Hope you are OK, Dee! We miss you when you're not around to chime in. And we are sad when you are sick.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi again Undies

I hope you’re all well. I didn’t get chance to pop back in last night, the other half was doing some big download on the p.c, so I went for plan B and did a spot of ironing!! Delightful. Not!

Thanks for the new thread Dee. I hope you are okay and looking after yourself. You know we worry about you. xx

I hope you’re managing to keep warm Jim, I don’t envy you 30 cm of snow and winds too, we’ve escaped the really bad weather this year, no snow at all here up to now, just frosty mornings. We have had our share of snow and bad weather over the last 3 winters though.

I hope you’re keeping warm too Gilmer. I loved your post and it’s good to read how much you’ve achieved in your sobriety. I glad you’ve begun to realise that you are a good person, because I think we’ve known it all along. Hebrew!! Wow.

Toots, I hope you’ve packed some thermal undies and a hot water bottle and a pair of those big, flannelette p.j’s. So sexy!

Aw thanks Drake, that was a nice thing to say. I’m glad you missed the snow. It sounds like you’re in for a good weekend and good for you gifting the booze to your son, I’m sure he will appreciate it. Enjoy the concert.

Thank you Dottie, it’s good to be back, I missed you. I missed all of you. Thank you for sharing that post, I’m so glad you’re here with us.

Courage, I shall look forward to your posts. I will always like them.

Oh dear Carlos (( big hugs)) I’m sorry your day was so crappy yesterday and I hope today has been a much better one. A work out will have done you good. ( I hope.)

Matthew it’s wonderful to read your posts these days. It never fails to amaze me at how positive you’ve become. Being sober has done you the world of good, it’s like you’ve found a zest for life. You must be on countdown for your one year milestone now. Keep it going. Xx

A ‘cool island girl eh Carlos you little rascal, wit woo, keep us informed.

D.G, definitely back to basics, I agree with you there, one step at a time, one day at a time and all that. Keep focused on your recovery and don’t let anything get in the way of that. Things have a way of working out in the end.

Well I’m posting again from work, only 20 minutes to go now, the longest 20 minutes of the day! Has any of you heard from Steve?? If not I’m going to have to be texting him and kicking his butt!

Stay safe and sober
Love to you all
Grace xxx
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Haven't seen Steve either here or the smoker's thread in awhile.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good to see you back, Grace!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies)

Quick check-in from me.

Still here, still sober.

Got my paperwork on new flat back from the registration chamber and made another part of payment.

Still feeling emotionally "numb", but I believe it shall pass... if I focus on today.

Miss you all, Undies.

See you)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You sound better than you did a few days ago, MB. I'm glad of that! Better numb than in active pain.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you, Gilmer)

You are so right. And maybe I should let myself feel "flat" for a while.

"And I am "changing my skin"
And my soul is naked.
Wrapping in airy dream.
I'll wait for spring to awake me."
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi undies
I have so much to catch up on.
Just checking in to say I'm still sober. I've had the most insane raging headache for 2 days now and It hurts more to look at my cell. Hoping it will go away and will actually get some sleep tonight!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon BF - you too MB

no need to worry about me Grace - I'm busy but not overwhelmed.
all is well!

D