Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 3

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 29. I saw a post the other day about fun stuff to do sober and someone replied along the lines of "Do what you did as a kid, before you ever even thought about drinking." So I've started shooting hoops again. I used to shoot baskets for hours at a time when I was little. It was a great way to pass the time outside. Ditto bike riding. So I've done a lot of both all weekend, with my kids. It's been a good thing.

Have a peaceful Sunday all--
Jackie
Old 01-19-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
hda

day 26, finally had the flip today that i quit drinking because i don't like how it makes me feel, rather than quitting because "it's the right thing to do"
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
waking down

Right on, hda!!!

Just checking in. Crazy busy day all of a sudden after a long, lonely weekend. Got my first assignments online for a course I decided to take. Wow. This is going to keep me busy. I changed my email thread alerts to weekly so I don't obsess about SR (my phone would vibrate with every post on subscribed threads - just too much for me right now), but it's good to know I can connect with y'all when I'm feeling out of sorts. Day 24 and feeling like alcohol is just something to avoid, but I know about PAWS and suspect I'll have those days (you know what I mean). Kind of sad about missing old drinking buddies. Sundays I often watched football with neighbors, but I haven't heard from them since December. It's like I stop showing up at my favorite watering hole and I cease to exist. Oh, well. I have plenty to do, and I've got my weekly jam session with musician friends (who all drink but rarely to excess). It's about the music. And my wife returns tomorrow after almost a week away. I survived since Tuesday alone and free to do whatever and didn't drink! That's something. I also haven't seen anyone except at work. My dogs are good listeners, but they don't talk much, and when they do it's usually just cuz they want to pee or play tug. I can love up my dogs and get more cerebral with y'all. Connection. What a concept.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Nice on 26 days HDA & good for you ZeroourHero on another week
Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 24 and moving in the right direction! A few months ago, when I was drinking daily, I booked a flight to visit my parents, both alcoholics. As the time to leave drew closer I was apprehensive about going as I was unsure as to how I would make out. Firstly, because I knew there would be alcohol there and I have avoided being around alcohol since quitting. Second, for the past 25 years, I have always drank with my parents when I'm with them, it's a family tradition. To make a long story short, I triumphed and remained booze free. It was difficult at times however, the cycle ends here. I really want this sobriety thing, it feels so darn good.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great achievement, Stomper!

Day 22 here.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good job Stomper and hda and Zero! Impressive accomplishments on all accounts.

Day 30. Whew. I feel really good about it. Kids home from school today and we've got a day chock full of plans, all outside enjoying the day.

Have a great week all,
Jackie
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Played hockey 7 AM -
NEVER would have happened if I was drinking.
Way cool.
Good day peeps...
35 days I think. Should check the sober calculator.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone! 25 Days today.

I was thrilled to go grocery shopping and for the first time not have my jaws clinch and water when I passed the alcohol section! I literally emotionally braced myself ahead of time and then Nothing, No anxiety, no shakes, no temptation, nothing. It was a new and fantastic feeling. I no longer fear grocery shopping, never knew that would have been an issue.

A day with the kids here as well, no plans just enjoying the day!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 23.

Tam2014 - I find I can walk past a liquor store with a distinct lack of interest. Holds no appeal. It's a relief, I can tell you!

DanDare - I haven't had the energy to do anything except lie on the sofa for months. Night before last night I found myself SITTING UP on the sofa. Yesterday I found myself heartily sick of all the sitting around I do all day both in my job and at home. My energy is slowly creeping back in :-)
Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 51.

Did battle with my AV yesterday over the prospect of never drinking again, ever. Didn't have an urge to drink yesterday, but I was feeling the urge to drink in 6 months. (Is that weird?) Talked it over with my wife, which helped a lot, and it passed.

My anxiety seems like it is really subsiding. I have a bad afternoon here and there. Most mornings are good. At first it was bad days, every day. Then it went to mostly bad days, with a good day here and there. Then it went to mostly good days with a bad day here and there. Now I have good stretches every day, with a few bad hours here and there. Mostly the afternoons. But, such an improvement over where I was a month ago.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of people make semi-promises like that - which is one of the reasons people have so much trouble at times like 6 months and one year.

the important thing is you didn't drink yesterday HK

D
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Congrats All on your time Your doing great - 30 days Jackie
2 days for me today........long day & glad to be home with fireplace going & heat up.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sounds nice MariahGayle
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 39, got my days a little mixed up yesterday. Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 31. Absolutely loving waking up in the morning and feeling so great. Short week because of the holiday yesterday so that's nice. Weekend alone because the kids will be with their dad but I think I'll do a movie matinee marathon, which will make the days go by quickly. There are a bunch of movies I want to see before the Oscars. Totally allowing myself popcorn, milk duds and a big cold Coke as a treat -already looking forward to it.

Everyone have a calm and sober day out there,
Jackie
Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 24. Morning all.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hey....where is everyone today? 3 Days....getting through the 4th today. Going to get some exercise & come home & read.....reading the book "Drinking, A Love Story" I've heard a few people recommend. Hope everyone is good today Take care ya'all!!

Tiger....25 for you tomorrow
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Day 24. Morning all.
Hang in there TL, it will get better. If you can force yourself just to go outside for a bit in the yard, it might get you going??
Congrats on over 3 weeks...

D.D.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
waking down

Too busy yesterday to check in. Feeling good and good to hear others are doing well. I don't think it even occurred to me today to pour a glass of wine like I usually would after work. Instead, I did a hundred crunches and blew my brains with hot wasabi on crazy cod fry. New cooking adventure. Yum. Sesame oil, cod, tamari, glazed with wasabi. Yow.