Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 3

Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

I know that this may sound a bit gross, JackieC, but I've been into a cereal substitute in an attempt to limit carbs: ground flax seed, yogurt, almond milk and...the reward, a bit of maple syrup. It actually fools my carb brain into thinking yummie. Moderating the maple syrup is the key, of course. (I try to forget that our horse gets his ground flaxseed every day.)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
waking down

I feel like alcohol and sugar are so closely related. When I'm hungover I crave carbs, and of course, alcohol (especially beer and wine) are huge on carbs. I googled "sugar addiction" and found some interesting reading. I'm now three days with no sugar or processed food (had some salsa, though), and I crave sugar so much alcohol isn't even an issue. I've been mindful of my patterns during the day, and find I want to reach for sugar at times of stress, just like alcohol. I'm getting better at recognizing it and doing something, drink water, for example, or take a few minutes to stare at my little buddha statue on my desk, or come up with an excuse to wander walk a bit.

I used to reward myself with an "eat anything" day, but most of the things I've read say to break the addiction it's necessary to have the same attitude we have about alcohol. The idea is that once the body gets balanced and used to not having the substance, the cravings will subside. It makes sense it's more difficult for at least couple of reasons: 1) we have to eat (we don't have to drink alcohol), 2) I started drinking at age 13, but I started sugar in the womb, 3) it is socially acceptable to snack all day at work (at my job I'm a pariah for NOT eating junkfood). It seems like people are threatened by healthy eaters the same way they are threatened by those who choose sobriety. We make them question their own use. Worse yet, very few people know HOW to eat healthy, and lots of so-called "health food" is garbage.

So, yes, it's a never-ending uphill climb. I'm taking it a day at a time. Inflammation, though, is exacerbated by sugar. My dad died of heart disease, plaque, inflammation. My mom had lupus, arthritis, aneurism, stroke. She died at 58. Both older sisters are falling apart, largely due to inflammation-related problems. I'm just feeling like in my fifties and having partied pretty steadily for forty years, I'm pushing my luck unless I can somehow become a person free of cravings for the things likely to kill me. Genetics would suggest my days are numbered, and I want to live feeling good and not wanting to constantly crave things that give me a temporary high.

Speaking of high...after my last sugar/carb binge I got wicked constipated and drank coffee for the first time in a couple of weeks as a medical cure. It made me feel like crap (though it also worked and made me feel like crapping). So, just a couple of weeks away from coffee and I'm convinced I'm done. I've had this feeling a few times in the past while doing cleanses; that the less polluted I become the less tolerant of poisons my body becomes.

When the AV (addict voice) badgers me, I keep reminding myself, yeah, well, alcohol would feel good, briefly, and then will come the pain. A brownie will feel good, briefly, and then I'll crash. Coffee will give me a lift, but it doesn't feel right anymore.

I am drinking yerba mate, which has caffeine, but it feels so much more mild. Eventually, though, I want to give that up, too. That will be awhile cuz a couple of months ago I ordered a bale online in order to get a mega cheap price for organic. So, I'm thinking I'll work my way through that and then say good bye to it. That will likely be late summer. I might gift some of it to go through it quicker, though I don't know many people who have a taste for it. I haven't done long term without some kind of stimulant since college, so I don't know...it's not high priority, anyway. The Sociedad Argentina De Cardiologia claims it's good for you, actually.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

You guys are inspiring me to really give it a go on cutting the processed sugar. And honestly, I haven't been looking at it like I look at drinking but you're right -- it's similar enough that the approach might need to be the same. Years ago I did Atkins (like 12 yrs ago, when Atkins was huge) and what I do remember is this -- the first week to ten days of no carbs was utter hell. Then? The cravings started to just go away. Like any other addiction I guess. Crazy.

You've given me food for thought....
Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

But giving up coffee is not something I can take on. It's the only thing that gets me up in the morning. A vice at a time . . .
Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
I know that this may sound a bit gross, JackieC, but I've been into a cereal substitute in an attempt to limit carbs: ground flax seed, yogurt, almond milk and...the reward, a bit of maple syrup. It actually fools my carb brain into thinking yummie. Moderating the maple syrup is the key, of course. (I try to forget that our horse gets his ground flaxseed every day.)
I can see how this would give a cereal type feel. I'll try anything at this point!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

sugar is definitely an addictive substance! I have had to reduce or eliminate a bunch of things and sugar and wheat-based carbs are definitely the hardest.

Milk? Yuck. Who wants that cow juice anyway?

Bread? Ok.

But cake? Sob.

I am trying to stick to one caffeinated beverage a day but that has it's challenges. Coffee is a social thing as much as anything.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

You guys, please don't think I am weird, but I only eat vegetables and meat. + I have 1 day in a week when I eat anything I want, that means a lot of chocolate. A lot! I love chocolate. On my drinking days, I ate only veggies, so I could have a bottle of wine in the evening

Zero, you mentioned a buddha figure? Funny coincidence, I collect small figures called "netsuke", I have 9 already! 2 are buddhas. These things are hard to get.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Zero: the William Davis book on wheat, carbs, and glucose (wheat belly) has a kind of cultish following. He definitely links high glucose levels to just about every malady, the silver bullet approach, but some of his stuff makes good sense. He offers good alternative recipes, like ground flax-seed cereal, for example! It inspired me to go almost sugar and grain free for about 2 weeks; then I collided head-on with a rather large and delicious cherry pie (the first large piece put me down like an anesthetic for about an hour and a half).
Old 03-07-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

jackrussell, I have read some of that book. My boss is a big believer in Wheat Belly. He eats absolutely no grains. Grains are evil in the wheatbelly world (along with legumes and other things that most nutritionists and doctors consider healthy. He is on the Paleo Diet in which he eats only meat and vegetables. He does drink alcohol which is not part of the Paleo Diet. He looks great and runs marathons. I like beans and whole grains too much to do Paleo. Muhv, it sounds as though you may be on the Paleo Diet except for that one day a week. Paleo pushes a high fat, low carbohydrate diet - the opposite of what we normally hear from nutritionists. I don't totally agree with it but it is an interesting approach that requires a lot of discipline.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't understand the science, but about four years ago my LDL was almost 200. I read about heart disease and cutting sugar and other carbs, quit drinking for a few months, lost 20 pounds, and dropped my LDL to 120 in about four months without meds. When the holidays hit and I started drinking again that all went to hell, but I've maintained my LDL at the 120 level. The main problem is I lose control with food when I'm drinking, so stopping drinking is definitely the first step for me. On the other hand, since I quit drinking this time I've had a few really disgusting sugar binges at work. I'm not happy with my job and really need to move on, so sometimes I just want to stuff my feelings and get a sugar high.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Alcohol definitely spikes the appetite for carbs and sugar. A toxic environment at work and the stress that comes with it doesn't help either. I have been through that. Hang in there.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

10 weeks for me tomorrow!

I like peanuts :-)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats TL

D
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm very grateful to have 69 days. In the past, I was antsy that I had a year and not 5 years, or 2 years and not 10 years. Now I am just grateful to be sober today.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D