Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 21

Old 12-06-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hahahahaha! Buttcrack of dawn! Omg I'm peeing my pants We!

I have a rabbit fur Elmer Fudd hat We. Sorry to PETA people.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

oh, as for the SAD poll, I've been affected by the length of days my whole life. even growing up I was really draggy in the winter even though non natives of san diego think we don't get winter there. :-)

I agree with dd. I really felt the need to drink when stressed. I think I invented boredom so I would have an excuse to drink. I say that because unless you are in jail or a hospital or something, we really have no excuse to say we are bored. there are endless things we can do. so if I'm "bored," I'm just not really looking at my options. I used to like to ignore my options so I could drink, I think...

someone here on sr has a great signature line. it's something like this, "I used to drink on special occasions. like the grand opening of a pack of cigarettes." that's awesome, and about sums it up! we drank because we are alcoholics. the reasons we came up with are irrelevant. unless we id the big triggers, of course.

i'm trying to respond to everyone and find i'm quite rambly, even more than usual. I know better than to apologize for it though. ;-)

shoes, i'm more of a sipper. except with milk. I don't do it often, but that stuff just begs to be chugged. I do drink a lot still though. probably a liter of water at work, maybe a tea. two travel mugs of coffee in the morning, and easily a liter of fizzy at night. try to limit sodas so maybe 3 a week.

yeah, i'm like you about summer. i'm too happy to notice alcohol too much once I had a few months sober. enjoyed fizzy water ouside at the pubs when in England, enjoy fizzy water outside at cafes here. once or twice this summer j wanted to have a Guinness at the local tavern we can walk to from the city apt., I had no issues ordering fizzy water there. once my butt gets dragging with winter... I have two weeks until I fly home. when I get back it's winter hike time and then maple sugaring in February. it's hard for me to be grumpy when i'm grazing maple's sugar profits and boiling sap all day. helps that it's hard work, too. and I get to play with fire. j says I smell like smoke all of February, calls me her "little kipper." yeah I know it's smoked fish, it's romantic anyway. :-)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Awww, WeHav, I've always loved how you write. If it's rambling, then it's a good kind. I always feel I learn something and it feels like we're sitting somewhere and happily (and soberly) chatting
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

sassy, you are very sweet, thank you. oh now I remember what I was gonna say to you! that was cool of you to share that doc and op ed, very cool he was a professor of yours. but I gotta admit that before I read through what you wrote, I found it very curious that you may have had so much expertise with prostates... we all like to be experts on something, though! :-)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I don't think I have SAD per se. I don't mind the shorter days. I've always been a night time person myself. In a perfect world, I'd sleep until noon and stay up until 4-5am every night. Even sober. I'll probably be up late tonight just because it's Friday, even though I want to go to an 8am meeting.

What I hate is nasty weather. Raining out when it's 33F (just snow already, damn it), 0F degree wind chills that make me curse, and snow in the city, which is nice for the first day, and then turns in to this blackish, mixture of soupy snow, motor oil and garbage.

I'm not going to my 9pm meeting tonight because it's pouring outside and I haven't practiced walking with the cane and umbrella at the same time. So that's a nope. Had to call in a friend to cover my coffee commitment. Hoping the rain will stop tomorrow and I can double or even triple up on meetings.

Shoes - I am a very fast drinker. But I am also set in my ways. I can down a can of soda or water in like 30 seconds. I usually do. But if I'm drinking fluids with a meal, I will not touch my drink until after I am done eating. I get worried that it will fill me up and I came to EAT. But after I put my fork down, my ginger ale is usually gone in seconds. Second, I do not drink hot drinks, and even if I did, I don' think drinking it fast would be so good for my insides. Third. A lot of times I don't really drink. I just eat a lot of ice. I love eating ice. But no ice in my soda. I don't want it watered down. So I'll get a separate cup of ice just to munch on.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
sassy, you are very sweet, thank you. oh now I remember what I was gonna say to you! that was cool of you to share that doc and op ed, very cool he was a professor of yours. but I gotta admit that before I read through what you wrote, I found it very curious that you may have had so much expertise with prostates... we all like to be experts on something, though! :-)
Chuckles! I don't know much at all about prostates other than the fact that prostate and breast cancers are common topics of Dr Welch's :-). We were treated to a full dose of his theories. He talks a lot about how over-testing, especially screening, can be harmful to our health. I am hearing more health researchers deciding to forego some annual tests.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It's because Sass is just the coolest, smartest, most knowledgable, sober young woman on the internet!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

she also knows her way around a prostate... ;-)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

hey dd, how are you dear? I read what you wrote for that gal in newcomer's. you are amazing. you have this ability to take every single negative experience you have ever had and turn it into something to help someone. you rock.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hanging in, Wehav.

Just dealing with this stupid oxycodone taper. I hate withdrawal. I actually just posted my first thread in the substance abuse forum. Just trying to figure out what I'm in for over the next week when I take my last pill on Tuesday.

I post a lot in the newcomers forum because it helps me to help other people. People always tell me I'm going to make a great sponsor. I tell them I have a few more steps I have to get through lol. I'll have to be making amends soon. Not looking forward to that. I hurt a lot of people. I was a wrecking ball. And the worst part is that I did it all with a smile. I used my charm and intelligence for evil purposes.

Part of AA is helping out the newcomer. For me, SR is just an extension of that. Honestly, it's why I came back (I stopped posting from May until like September).

How's J doing? Have you guys had a chance to sit down and really talk about what you're facing?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys, good to see y'all seem to be finding ways of dealing with the blah days of winter.

Sass young?!!! She is methuselahs big sister! Lol Sorry Sass but you would have gotten me on that too!! Heehee, that said she is extremely wise.

Shoes, hmm,, always finished a pint quicker than A. Not a chugger as such, more a persistent sipper. I get through 2 litres of fizzy water a day mostly once I'm home in the evening.

Wehav, I second Sass, I love your tales, it's like sitting round a campfire poking marshmallows into a flame listening to you. Please don't ever begin editing! I love that you push yourself to get out in the sunshine during the winter, instead of giving in to the sloth, I am more of a sloth, though when I have the chance I get out for a game of golf, and having Molly makes me get out and about.

DD, wise move not to risk the weather just yet, though personally I don't do umbrellas, I prefer to wear head gear or get wet! I find them dangerous, with a life of their own. Having barely escaped enucleation myself on more occasions than I care to remember, I do not intent inflicting it on another!

Marcher, I know you and Mr M will do what needs and deal. I'm sure your dietary habits will help too.

North, I feel chilly just reading your posts! We have a skating rink ( indoor) near us and a few years ago, daughter felt the urge and asked me to go for support. I had a whale of a time, but ended up with some of the biggest butt bruises I have ever had, and on my legs too! Would still go again though!

Life, I hope your eye has returned to a more normal size.

Duff, how are you getting on?

Chuff, missing you pal.

Babs, how are you doing?

Gilmer?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am fine, Toots. Just enjoying life and enjoying reading all the posts.

To answer the poll questions, I am a gulper of milk and water--and coffee. In fact, I add a handful of ice cubes to coffee so I can drink it right down and not get my lips burned while sipping! I physically cannot gulp soft drinks, though. Causes me physical pain.

I am also extremely prone to SAD. It's the darkness that does me in--it's just so bleak!

I am not fond of the cold. To me, if it's got to be cold all the time, I want to see some snow! I love snow.

When I was young, I used to go to a local golf course after a big snow and go sledding down the hill with about 100 other kids. If you flew into the bushes, you knew it was a really cool run!

There was a big hill in my neighborhood, too. We kids would stay out from morning till night in those days!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey Toots -- getting on well here!

Shoes, I am a ridiculously fast drinker. When out at a restaurant the servers refill my diet coke glass at least 4 or 5 times. It's not normal - lol.

No SAD here. We live in the "sunshine state" so can't complain about the weather. I get nostalgic for the snow, though.

Marcher, I'm sorry to hear about your hubby's diagnosis. My dad was treated for it last year and he beat it. Even though it is so common it's always scary to hear the "C" word. I'm glad it was caught early on.

I've been on this mission to be the "perfect" mom this holiday. The reason: because that is what is keeping me sober. I know we should attain sobriety for ourselves but in my case I am doing it for my boys. I truly don't think I would have the motivation to stop drinking just for myself.

So guess what - turns out I can't be that perfect mom no matter how hard I try - lol. I was watching my son's friend yesterday and I let a swear slip - oops. Then it hit me -- I am not June Cleaver (sorry for the American 50s sitcom reference) and don't need to be. I just need to be the best person/mom that I can be while still being myself. Well that lifted a great burden off my shoulders. So I've taken a deep breath and am just being me -- that's good enough for my husband and my boys and as for anyone else who cares to judge - tough - that's their business, not mine.

Well, off to start Saturday morning here. Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You sound like a fun mom, Duffster!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

DD, you are a charmer. If I were your age I'd come right down to Philly to find you! I'd be the stalker granny :-). Toots, hush up and let me be young for a day

Shoes, I used to gulp down everything including liquids. Gastric bypass forced me to change my ways. Imagine a stomach the size of an egg instead of the normal football size and you'll get the idea.

WeHav, I won't even grace that last comment of yours with a response - picture me speechless; yes, I know that seems impossible

Gilmer, up here, at least, it's typically less cold when snowing. But one of the most gorgeous sights is an unpolluted expanse of newly fallen snow under a bright winter sun and usually on an icy cold day - preferably seen from indoors!

Duff, IMHO, it's ok to do something like staying sober for someone else's sake (especially children). When I quit smoking, the main reason I did it was for my daughter though ultimately I stayed quit for myself. And I'm happy to hear you're not trying to be the perfect mother anymore. None of us can do it perfectly and it's so frustrating to beat our heads against the wall trying. I suspect that we become better examples for our children when we can accept who we are - that allows them to feel they can be accepted for whom they are :-)

today was my second morning using my lights again. Big difference. I'm not up to full speed ahead yet but I managed to get some house cleaning done yesterday. Yay!

Have a good one to all.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

WeHav, ps - didn't you know that I'm an "expert" on just about everything

I think it must be because I do everything the hard way. Like staying sober.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

WeHav, ps - didn't you know that I'm an "expert" on just about everything

I think it must be because I do everything the hard way. Like staying sober.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Well that was interesting.

Sassy, you are a wonderful resource. Really. I always knew you were smart and you have a lot of experience. You share both so nicely. Every suggestion you offer is helpful and pretty darn accurate. Plus you are funny. You should have your own "Ask Sassy" website. I would be running pretty much everything by you before I did anything. I kind of do already. I value what you think.

DD, I hope you get to have coffee with your friend soon. Not to be sticking my nose in your business but that usually doesn't stop me. You are single. You ain't 20 anymore. You ain't a drunk and you have done a lot of and continue to do a lot of work on yourself. I think a nice woman friend would be nice. I know it's suggested not to get into a relationship too soon but hey, it's nice to have a (insert whatever sex you are interested in here) friend. A nice date would be fun. Dating is a lost art. Think 1940's Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. We ain't dead yet. And we ain't kids anymore. I think it absolutely possible to be interested in someone without it getting all out of control. I know you have a lot going on. Just saying I think you would make an excellent Cary Grant coffee date for someone nice.

Don't you love the steps? I love how they really are instructions on how to get your sh*t together. The amend one is a little tough but it sure feels good after. Even if someone tells you to go pound sand...which I had happen to me years ago first time around. That was no fun hearing someone say they wanted nothing to do with me. I lived. So did they. I'm still glad I said I was sorry. Made me stronger. I didn't fall to pieces. Just sucked it up and said I certainly don't blame them and moved on. That's when I learned to be better at not changing who I am because of what someone else thinks. That and not everyone is as forgetful as I am. I'm sure you pulled some real jackass moves in the past. We all did. But it ain't you now.

June Cleaver. I loved June. She may have always looked perfect but she was pretty funny. Throw some sweats on her and she really wasn't always so perfect. She just was so sweet. Being a funny Mom and making stupid stuff and things that flop fun trumps perfect Mom every time. Be a fun Mom, Duff. Fun Moms let a f bomb slip on occasion but always seem to make it funny. I heard my Mom drop an f bomb once in her life. We all laughed so hard at her that she got so mad but couldn't say it again. We all begged her. Come on Mom...you can do it..say the f word! Ok, fudge is close enough. Haha.

My best memories were the flops. Where something was far from perfect but we just laughed at it. Like my birthday cake one year that flopped on one side so she just filled in with cardboard but then forgot to tell us when we were cutting it. What a mess. What a fun laugh till you pee mess. Those are the memories that make me miss her the most.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

So much for my friend's and my scientific study on chuggers vs. sippers. Not that we thought it would prove anything. We just were curious.

I will say though that my gift of being able to chug liquid did have a huge part in me giving up mixed drinks. Like you Duff, it's a full time job for a server to keep up with me on a soda or fizzy water eating out. Wasn't much different with the rum and cokes or gin and tonics. That's why I switched to wine. I could just keep the bottle next to me and never let my glass go empty. Just get that second bottle coming before this one is gone. Saved everyone a lot of steps and it was harder for everyone to see really how much I could put away. Not that I was fooling anyone but myself.

A restaurant bill at the end of the night looks more pathetic when it shows 12 mixed drinks vs. 2 bottles of wine. The fine art of hiding the real problem.

Hey, I took my vitamin d last night. I feel much better today. Coincidence? Don't care. I actually feel like doing something. So what it's cold. I got mittens and thermal underwear. Might of helped I got a ton of sleep too.

I feel like even you could get me out on a hike We!

This may very well have been a case of one of the triggers I have but just didn't realize it till we all talked it out. Thank you everybody! It helped talking about it. Now I know.

Explains all the rambling I've been doing. I'm sure you are all relieved that I now can stop rambling and go actually do something.

I'd say I'm sorry but I think thank you everybody is more appropriate.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Ugghh. Did not sleep well last night. Didn't fall asleep until after 6am. Hours of tossing and turning. My ankles and calves ache. I don't know if it's the pain pills or that I just can't find a comfortable position to sleep without pain. I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs so that doesn't help. I slept through both my morning meetings so I'll hit up.

Duff - progress, not perfection My mom was a curser and I turned out okay, save for the alcoholism, drug addiction and utter narcissism (working hard on that).

Gilmer - what neighborhood did you grow up in? I grew up in Germantown. No hills or golf courses. Just a lot of row homes and crack viles lol (it was the 80s; what can I say).

Shoes - I'm going to a party tomorrow night so hopefully I'll see her there. But I've been dating long enough to know not to get all hyped up over one person. It just sets you up for a let down. I'm way past the point of taking things personally when dating.

Sass - surprisingly, I've never had a stalker....yet.

Gonna take my last 10mg at 4pm and then down to 5mg tomorrow. Hoping I'm on a low enough dose now that this is the worst I'm gonna feel. I have to go to a continuing legal education seminar on Monday morning and I don't want to be all dope sick hah!

JOY - WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?