Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 21

Old 12-08-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
The snow is falling! The snow is falling!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I love Philly's and cheesecake. But I've never been to that part of the country so I bet I've never had a good one. NYC is the only place I've been there. I would love to go to Boston and Philly some day.

My best friend helps me with Yiddish. Her Mom is in her 80's and from Poland and is about 5 feet tall and a pistol. She's the one who just had quadrupal bypass surgery. We knew she was going to recooperated just fine when we heard her on the phone barking orders to the ICU nurses. We were on speaker phone. I love listening to her Mom read the Torah in Hebrew. I go to Synagogue with my friend once in awhile. I love her Rabbi. I cried like a baby at her daughters Bat Mitzvah. It was beautiful. My friend and her kids don't eat Kosher but they fib to Grandma about it. They have me hooked on matzo ball soup.

Well I got to go scoop snow and clean my car off and go see my Dad. I don't think I can get him out so we may just have to hang at his place. He ain't going to like that but he won't argue to much. He doesn't want to fall anymore than I want him to.

I'm adjusting to winter. Last night I just laid low and hung out here on SR in between watching mindless TV. But today I do feel like getting out. Chalk it up to just another adjustment. Maybe my blood is thickening up. I'm not as cold as I was.

Have a good one!
xoxo
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I bailed on the party. I can't risk falling in this weather.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I must defend myself! NEVER did I myself call it a "Philly cheesesteak!" I said that the VA establishments advertise their mayonnaise crap as a "Philly cheesesteak!" I agree, Exton doesnt have much charm, even suburban charm. But that dump is my old stomping grounds, and I've got a great sentimental attachment to it! Although it was the genesis of my going wrong (two of my friends were not wholesome), it was also the genesis of my going right (the other friend went to college and prayed for "her sinful friend Kath" to see the light--and I eventually did.

By coincidence(?) we ended up in the same area of VA after graduation, and she introduced me to my husband and was the matron of honor in my wedding. We still see each other about twice a year.

I don't know how I got off on that tangent after cheesesteaks!

As far as learning Hebrew, one of the early Christian Church fathers, St. Jerome, who first translated the whole Bible into Latin in 400 AD, apprenticed himself to a desert hermit to learn Hebrew as a young man. In those days celibacy was the ultimate goal for pious young people. They used to undertake grueling fasts from food and water to "discipline" their bodies. Jerome said that the only thing that was ever grueling and punishing enough to keep him from falling into sin was the learning of Hebrew! Brutal!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's snowing like a madman here, too! We're very excited. I just drove to the store to stock up on chili ingredients and hot chocolate and whipped cream. My daughters and their husbands are over, and we're all hanging out and loving it. I'm excited for my son's sake that there will no doubt be a snow day from school tomorrow!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I have to admit, Gilmer, I'm having a pretty good day. It looks beautiful outside with the snow (though as I said earlier, that only lasts a day or two in the city). I'm enjoying a crazy Eagles game, my cinnamon flavored e-cig and some pink lemonade. I feel a little sick, but nothing major. I haven't taken any pain meds yet today. Called a few people to make sure they're ok.

I want to take a nap, but I'm gonna stay up to make sure I get sleep again tonight. Happy snow day, all!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

You're all killing me! I would love a snow day. Enjoy the snow to those of you who are lucky enough to be getting it
Old 12-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I love how as adults we can still get as excited as kids to see snow! I love when we get some, though it gets real old real fast! Those with snow should have a snowman competition! Duff can judge!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey Marchers!

We are above zero and it is a whole new world. Loving it. A couple more inches today but it looks like most of the snow has been shipped down to the east coast. Enjoy!

Well, I grew up in Philly and remember when Central High was all-male (go Lancers!) Most tourists head to Gino's or Pat's for cheesesteaks and they are both terrible, but credit to Pat's for inventing them as the lore goes. Usually, any mom and pop deli in Philly can make you a decent one and I really miss them living up here.

Our family's bar for three generations was in the Point Breeze neighborhood. Last I looked it was Suave Foods and the neighborhood, while never terrific, has been on hard times for a while, though there is talk of it turning around (baby steps).

I love the Exton Mall. It was the trip out to the country and I miss the rolling countryside...

Sigh, getting nostalgic.

Hope all is well Marchers. I am feeling better - not great - but thanks to WeHav's advice (MY FRIEND!) I am outside and getting physical with old man winter.

Mucho amour.

Vice skating! That sounds like fun Toots!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yay North! Another Philly guy! Point Breeze really isn't that bad now. It's still way better than Grays Ferry and up North. I lived at 16th and Snyder for a while. And I still go down to Washington Ave sometimes for Vietnamese food. Though I'm spoiled now because I live just two blocks from Chinatown.

I honestly haven't been to Pat's or Geno's in years. I even hate Jim's on South St. You are so right about the corner delis and pizza joints.

I didn't even know Central was all-male at some point. I hope that doesn't make you feel old lol

Glad you're feeling a bit better.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Wow! I walked through Chinatown in Philly two years ago last March. I had just gotten some laser surgery to dissolve my dead cancer tumor (inside my left eye) at Wills Eye Institute at 8th and Walnut. I walked to the huge citywide plant and flower show with my big white eye patch on because it was too early to just walk back to the hotel and vedge. When I came back, I took a different route and came down Arch St.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hah, Gilmer. I was at that flower show. My ex at the time dragged me to it. But they had a bar there! With scotch! I don't remember too much of the actual flower stuff. But the bar is crystal clear.

P.S. - Arch St is the best street. And no, I don't live on Arch. Just right off it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

If I'd have known about the scotch, I'd certainly have sampled some!

My custom when I went up to Wills was to walk back to the hotel (a favorite spot), watch some Discovery Channel, TLC or A&E afternoon programming, and snooze off. I used to watch back-to-back episodes of American Chopper, or Intervention, or Hoarders. Then I would order a filet from room service, with two enormous glasses of red wine. Then I'd go to bed fat and sassy.

Last year, because I'd given up drinking, my husband thought it best to send my daughters with me as chaperones for a "girls' road trip." I didn't think I'd be tempted, but they overruled me! My older daughter brought her 1 1/2 year old daughter.

My husband ordered a suite for us, and I figured, great! My younger daughter and I will sleep in one room, my older daughter will sleep in the other, and the baby will sleep in the center sitting room.

But it wasn't a suite--it was just a regular room with two queen size beds. So we were all crammed in there and the baby screamed the whole time. Let's just say that it wasn't a repeat of my previous experience--but I was certainly tempted to drink!

This year will be different. I am so committed to my sobriety now. The girls had such a wonderful time, though, that they're eager to do it again. That'll probably mean a different hotel--one with a real suite, hopefully! I won't like that so much because I really like the independence and being able to walk to and from Wills. But it is what it is.

I'm fortunate that I am able to stay overnight in a hotel and not commute the three hours back and forth on the same day that I'm getting stuff done. Even memories that are unpleasant at the time take on humor with age.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers! North I am so glad to see that you are getting outside and it's helping, that's excellent news. Good to see the repartee on the threads since I checked in on Saturday.

We went out for dinner with friends on Saturday night, one friend stayed over she'd had a few too many and it was a wake up call for me. On Saturday when she got here she looked great, yesterday she looked awful. She wasn't ridiculously drunk, just about three too many. When she and I were talking alone after we got home she was reduced to tears over nothing particularly sad, I recognised my former self and gave thanks!

Mr Marcher is coping well. He did a morning of gardening yesterday as usual on a Sunday, had a nap as usual and then did a whole heap of stuff. So we move on. I have decided (because the decision is always mine) that we will take an extra week's break this year so have three weeks off from the shop. January might be a bit tight but the rest will do us good.

I'm off to the podiatrist. Catch you later and have a good and sober day peeps.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Stay out of the snow, Marcher! I understand it's snowing in some parts of Australia!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Lordy, you guys write quick!! Two days away and 5 pages forward!! I haven't read back yet so without using the S word, apologies in advance if I don't acknowledge a particular moment, good or bad, high or low.

I'm due to see my Psych Dr in two hours. My plan, and his had been to start weaning me of the Anti D's. I'm desperate to get off them................BUT, ...............I drank this morning. Tomorrow yet again is day 1. Please please please no questions about plans, commitment, etc. I am committed because i am here and I am still facing up and being honest. I will have to face up to my psych later today. No mentions please of acceptance and always being a 'marcher' . I am and forever will be. I hate this, I hate it, hate it, hate it. I will now quietly go and gather my toys and place them back in my pram giving thought to each one of you guys who have conquered that nasty AV. Babs my twin, I'm not allowed to say it but you know what I mean...I am........to let u down.

Sending love.

LP x
Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Okay here's what I got out of this days conversation: Philly Philly Philly, Exton is not philly, I know but it's cool, Don't you dare call a cheesesteak a Philly cheesesteak (don't worry: the whole idea sounds vile), oh wait I'm from philly too! More philly philly, yay it's snowing!

North, so glad you are feeling better friend!

Gilmer yes, we are a bunch of crazy batches of personal growth. That's why sr rocks!

Marcher, glad mr. Marcher is in a good space. You should totally take the extra week. Go to the beach! Yeah those reminders are pretty good for us. Sobering, shall we say? Hope your friend is feeling better today.

Things are alright in wehavland. J is hanging in at her parents house. It's her dad's birthday. They hung out and had lots of cuddles. Yesterday was really bad, today is a little better. It's day to day.

Got some Christmas shopping done today, nothing exciting. The highlight of the day was typing up a little something for my nieces 5th grade state report. In Cali every 5th grader writes one. I got Arkansas. I will go to my deathbed knowing the Capitol is little rock and Arkansas is home to the Ozark mountains. Niece pulled some strings and got Ohio. and she wanted to write about me for a section of the report. Did I mention yet that she is the coolest niece ever? she is a huge reason why I go home for three weeks every Christmas. When she was born I worked as a landscaper and was off all winter. So I drove to San Diego and spent two months. My bro and sister in law let me stay and help with the baby. It was awesome. I always want to be someone she feels she can talk to. So ever since she was a toddler, I listen to her no matter what. She used to just babble into the phone and I couldn't stop smiling. I have a nephew too who is equally awesome. I can't wait to see them!

Have a good night everyone!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Lifet, welcome home kiddo! I'm not breaking any of your perameters by saying this: you didn't let a single one of us down. You can't let us down. Just focus on getting yourself back up. Whatever. It. Takes.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hah! Wehav - it's not my fault that it seems like half this class has a Philly connection. Or that Philly is the coolest city ever!

I'm so glad you're close with your niece and nephew. Your brother is a lucky guy to have such an awesome aunt Wehav.

Gilmer - next time you make the trip to Philly, I'll be here

Marcher - I also vote that you take the extra week. You and Mr. Marcher deserve it. And yes, it's weird to me too to see people get intoxicated. Even if it's not full on drunk. I can usually tell exactly how many drinks people have had by how loud they are lol.

LTP - all I have to say is good luck with your doctor tomorrow.

I went down to 5mg of oxy today and had no issues at all. Happy about that. I think the worst is behind me. I think I'm just going to take the one pill tomorrow just in case, and the flush the last one. I want to be done so bad.

But I do have to wake up really early tomorrow for a work seminar, so hoping to get at least a few hours of sleep. It's one of those deals where I just have to sit there all day and act like I'm paying attention. My only concern is walking the 4 blocks to the hotel where it's being held because it's supposed to rain tomorrow morning, so I have to handle the rain, an umbrella, my cane, a backpack with my computer, and, of course, 6 inches of snow. My goal is not to die. Or at least not fall and ruin my shiny new hips.

Night Marchers!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I know its " only" 4 blocks, but can you catch a cab dd? Hope you get good sleep.