Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 21

Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

This is just a quickie as once again i'm awake in the middle of the night.

My beautiful Aunt Bella, the eldest of 9 siblings, who buried all 8 always wanted to live to her 80th birthday.

She never wanted to see her 90th............she said it was because it would "ruin her good looks"!! She died on her 89th, she got her wish.

Love you Marchers,

I've got my first clinical shift in about 10 months in the morning, that's less than five hours away.........arrgh, hope I can still remember how to take a pulse!!

LP x
Old 12-22-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

LifeT, I'm glad to hear you sounding more positive. The holidays can be a difficult time for all of us and the loss of a beloved family member in the recent past is often felt more acutely at this time. So all of us Marchers need to be a bit extra vigilant.

Toots, so sorry you are having a tough time of it. You are fortunate to have family that is supportive and understanding. I'll be sending loving thoughts your way throughout the holidays and for as long as you need them!

Marcher, when I hear what you did on your "day off", I feel like the original sloth . It does sound like you enjoy yourself which is truly what it's all about. I can't imagine how much you will accomplish in 3 weeks "off". It sounds like you were fortunate, indeed, to have such a wonderful f-I-l in your life! I hope Mr M is a chip off the old block.

Joy, I'm thinking of you and your mom and sending my warmest thoughts.

WeHav, you say things so well and "tell it like it is" in a really nice way. I'm with you in thought and believe you will make it through the holidays ok, Mayan sis!

Gilmer, so happy you joined us!

North, what was that pic? How are you doing with the winter blahs?

Bud, where are you? Are you ok?

Duff, glad the coping techniques are working. Hang in there and keep posting and get whatever support you can. This time next week the holidays will be just about over.

Babs, our effervescent Marcher, hope all's well with you.

Shoes, are you doing ok? Between winter and the holidays, things can get a wee bit dicey.

DD, I miss your thoughtful posts! Are you ok?

Blame my faulty aging memory for those I missed!

Have a great day to all!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Oh shoot. No, I know what We meant. I was just reminding myself how lucky I am.

That does look like a can of dog food Toots. I hope it's 3 for a $1. We are expecting extra people this year. Oh. And I officially just fell in love with your Gran.

And your family Marcher. All dads must have a similar gene somewhere. They all do seem to know that their wife's know them better than they know themselves. That's funny.

Christmas was always fun at our house. Except the year my Mom brought me back in the house to pull out my brother's new bike. We were all in the car and she said "I forgot my purse! Shoes, come back in and help me find it." Back in we go and it was to pull out the bike. That was the year I found out there really wasn't a Santa Clause. I'll never forget the shock. I still have a little trauma I'm dealing with over that one.

Other than that every single one was the same routine. Mom bought the gifts we really wanted or needed and Dad p*ssed away hundreds of dollars on just anything to have the present pile higher than the tree. We literally would be up till 3 in the morning still opening boxes of Kleenex, bars of soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, toilet paper, yes, toilet paper...4 packs not individual. Now while this was weird when I was young, I loved it as a poor college girl and young single woman who barely could afford shaving razors. Mom hated it but Dad just loved watching people open a present. He still does.

I also will never forget how mom and I would get all dressed up in our pretty coats and hats and muffs and take the bus downtown to go Christmas shopping. I had a beautiful fake white fur coat hat muff ensemble. Hers was mink. We would walk around downtown with the lights and snow and look just like the Mom and daughter from Miracle on 32nd Street. She looked like a movie star. She was so beautiful.

Ok. Now I'm all a pile of goo being all nostalgic over that.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Double shoot. Now I can't stop crying because it dawned on me how I was and am so loved. F'ing stupid alcohol.
All it did was steal from me the greatest gift a person can get in this world. The ability to feel love.

Giving and receiving. I will never touch that sh*t again.

Remind me of that when I get forgetful and take it for granted.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

You are spot on, Shoes! It's sad how much life we have missed because of alcohol. Best thing we can do is to enjoy every sober minute for the rest of our lives!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Looks like my image has disappeared. Here it is...

If it doesn't post, it is a quote from George Carlin:

Just 'cause the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

I need an attitude adjustment. Heading to my in-law's annual family party (father-in-law is from a family of 9, mother-in-law from family of 8, all had families which have families which have families). I dread this every year because of the drinking and it is easy for them to remember my name - we are the only same-sex couple out of over a hundred people - and hell if I can remember all of them.

Anyway, we always end up staying 8-9 hours or more as people arrive late that my husband would like to see. He loves it. He wants me there. I go and slap a smile on my face.

I am so ungrateful I need to get ahold of myself. I posted elsewhere I need a visit from three ghosts to give me a good kick in the ass.

Anyway, that's me at the moment.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, Northlander. I'm the only one who is bored senseless when my husband's family gets together. Everybody else just loves it, even our kids. Everybody has sort of figured out by now that I prefer being by myself, so they let me hide upstairs and do my studying (or watch TV, or pick my nose, or whatever it takes to get me away).
Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Ok this is just a flyby, more later. I'm on pacific standard time for a while now and on phone only.

Shoes I know you knew what I know I meant.

Toots your gran is the best ever! I'll tell the chicken vaginas story another day .

Sass my Mayan sister.

Lifet, hope you are doing better today.

Well folks I have 10 months sober today. Think I'll celebrate by taking my nephew to the beach! In my Camaro convertible. Yeah there was a car snafu, so instead of the economy car I requested and paid for, they gave me a red Camaro convertible instead. Same charge.

And marcher, I'm off for three weeks too.

Love you guys!!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

North, just call everyone 'dude'. And tell them the intricate details of your English stamp collection. And your last prostate exam. Or look for the oldest one in the room and hope they are one of the interesting old folk and not the type to tell you the intricate details of their stamp collection. Or their last prostate exam.

Hope your shift goes well LP take it easy.

Was that 3 weeks Marcher? You weren't totally clear!

DD, where are you love?

Babs, how are your Christmas plans going?

Shoes, Wehav my gran was lovely, and she was terrible for spoonerisms too ( unintentional ones. Though for the worst spoonerisms ever, my mom wears the crown. As lady captain of the golf club, she had to address this huge important meeting held for the Cambridge and Huntingdon lady golfer She practiced her speech until she was word perfect. Unfortunately for her, the shortening of the names to the usual Cambs and Hunts, led to the most unfortunate spoonerism! ' welcome ladies of the Hambs and...'

Well, we'll leave it there will we!! And for once, she was sober! ' ( she told me just today that she never read the directions for medication leaflet incase; 'god forbid, they tell me I should avoid alcohol!!' )
Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats wehav

guys, I'll be offline from tomorrow for a day or so, so I wanted to wish everyone a safe happy, drama free and sober Christmas in case I miss anyone out

D
Old 12-22-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

You too, Dee! Have fun!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hey, WeHav! I just saw on the 24 hour thread that you've got a big milestone today! Congratulations!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to you too, Dee! Enjoy!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Two days to go, two days to go and no, I'm not talking about Christmas.

North regard the family from afar and see if you can visualise what the Marchers would whisper in your ear if they were there with you. And don't knock yourself about not being grateful, you'll be grateful when you walk out the door sober with duty done.

Christmassy group hug for our wonderful Dee.

Have a good day peeps, stay strong and sober and please drive extra carefully.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

WeHav, congrats on 10 months ((((((((((hugs))))))))))' grrrll! A red Camarro convertible sounds very snazzy for the occasion.

Dee, I hope you and Mes Dee have a lovely Christmas!

Toots, I'm still smirking and chuckling over the Cambs and Hunts spoonerism - priceless

North, hang in there. Bring phone so you can let off steam here :-). I volunteer to be one of the 3 ghosts
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

If the Marchers could be voices in your ear, North, we'd be making wisecracks at the most inopportune moments! Imagine that! That will give you a warm feeling of gratitude!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's just a few hours North - thats what I'll be saying too

time for a new thread guys....
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-22-a.html

D